PDA

View Full Version : Dem 'chievements

G13
10-13-2012, 05:29 AM
I really enjoy getting achievements, almost as much as I enjoy playing video games. I like beating games with 100% and it seems to me that getting the achievements is a part of that.

Lately I find myself getting them just because they're there and I can. I began to question why I do it when I leaped to my death in Portal 2 just to hear that harmonious blink. I willingly killed myself twice in that game for some achievements. I'm worried. I've heard of people getting addicted, but I never thought it could happen to me. I've talked to a few friends about this already, and all of them agree that I'm one lost job and 1,000 gamerscore away from giving handy-j's back behind the Red Lobster just for a taste of that sweet sweet cheevo sound. :erm:

Do you find yourself doing things you normally wouldn't do in games just to increase the size of your e-peen? Trophy's work too, I guess, though I'm not sure if the two are even remotely similar.

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2012, 05:35 AM
I work for them because they give a sense of accomplishment and I am a ridiculously obsessive slight perfectionist. :shobon:

I don't really do it for recognition, since I can't get online with my JTAG'd box anyway :p

Del Murder
10-13-2012, 05:49 AM
I like when I get them but some are so obscure that I hardly find them to be 'achievements'. I do like collecting items in games and I like when there is a reward for doing so.

Araciel
10-13-2012, 06:53 AM
I ignore them.

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Dude, I participated in a competition to become a CK. Everything I do here is for e-peen.

Psychotic
10-13-2012, 11:24 AM
I used to give an almighty shit about achievements. Then I got a job.

(Snarky as it sounds, it's also true!)

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2012, 12:35 PM
I like the achievements that are actually awesome. Those I will pursue with righteous fury. But I don't bother with the bullshit "collect 9000 cakes" ones.

DMKA
10-13-2012, 03:32 PM
I usually get a game and tell myself that I'm going to get them all, but then after finishing the playthrough, I typically lose interest in getting any remaining trophies. :p

G13
10-13-2012, 08:14 PM
I like the achievements that are actually awesome. Those I will pursue with righteous fury. But I don't bother with the bulltrout "collect 9000 cakes" ones.

Yeah! That was originally the motivator for me. The Orange Box's achievements were super fun to get, and they were actual challenges. The If They Came to Hear Me Beg achievement in Reach was fun too.

I've done a few fetch quests, but only because I was under the assumption that there was story behind it. Assassin's Creed comes to the foreground of my mind. AC1 had no story after killing all the Templars and that was a letdown, but AC2 had a little cutscene after collecting all the feathers and that was satisfying. I don't really have an excuse for PoP 2008, though. :-/

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2012, 08:57 PM
That's a great example. I spent bloody ages trying to get They Came To Hear Me Beg, and it was really satisfying when that Elite finally fuck stayed still for once. In a similar vein, hell yes am I going to get the Dastardly achievement in Read Dead Redemption!

Shauna
10-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I like achievements when I actually feel like I did something to deserve it. Unlike in PoP 2008 which felt like it threw achievements at you for pressing "START GAME" and moving the analogue stick forward to move.

Bolivar
10-14-2012, 01:41 AM
I was under the impression the allure of achievements has largely faded away by 2012.

I'm a different case because FPS multiplayer, especially CoD is the main usage for my PS3. CoD never has multiplayer achievements and with the games that do, there always comes a time when you've gotten them all.

The craziest I've ever gone for trophies is in Killzone 2 where four of them are for being in the top 10, 5, 3, and 1% of weekly players on the online leaderboards. It's based simply on how many points you have so you need to devote a crazy amount of time to the game and get pretty good at it. I got the first two or three and then the Apocalyps3 (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=APOCALYPS3) happened literally as I was getting the trophies and I didn't get the final one or two... regardless, I did get it.

I've gotten some of the achievements on Steam but I can't say it's increased my desire to get them, especially since it seems kinda random which games have them and which don't.

Also trophies and achievements are pretty much the same thing, but instead of a score value, trophies are either bronze, silver, or gold according to their difficulty. Getting all of them in a game nets you a Platinum trophy, which is really just a cool way to say you completed a game. And instead of a gamerscore you have a player level that takes more and more trophies to go up in the higher you go.

Jiro
10-14-2012, 04:07 AM
I reached the point you were at G13. I stood there in the depths of addiction and I clawed my way out. Partially thanks to some retarded glitches. I'll go slightly out of my way to get achievements now, but I don't care about them too much; they're a bonus, not the point.

Aulayna
10-14-2012, 04:50 AM
I used to give an almighty trout about achievements. Then I got a job.

(Snarky as it sounds, it's also true!)

Pretty much this. When I had heaps of free time I used to obsess over getting achievements. These days I'll just have a glance at them and find which ones I can realistically obtain before I get bored and go for them - or any particular fun and quirky ones (ala Assassin's Creed type parachute from tallest building on the map to a specific location in under X seconds ones).

Raistlin
10-14-2012, 05:52 AM
I generally don't care about achievements. My e-peen is already too heavy to lift.

Aulayna
10-14-2012, 05:55 AM
I generally don't care about achievements. My e-peen is already too heavy to lift.

Sounds like you need to work out more, then.

Wolf Kanno
10-15-2012, 06:37 AM
I'll do ones that seem fun, which is why I like the AC ones cause they often involve doing something amusing that only bored people would try, like climbing the tallest object in the game and proceeding to parachute off it and see how far you can get. I never cared for games with multiplayer achievements cause they are pretty boring and require more time and effort than I can put into them. I have a job and a life now, I can't live like the arcade scene was still alive.

Madame Adequate
10-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Depends on the achievement. If it indicates that I am a sadsack who spends months grinding for some stupidly difficult bollocks in Halo then no, I'm not going to pursue it. On the other hand if it indicates that I am a badass who is really great at XCOM then you best believe I'm all over it.

Shattered Dreamer
10-15-2012, 08:37 PM
I can't say I've ever been overly bothered with achievements. The only time I'm likely to bother going out of my way to get an achievement is if it's for doing something awesome like most recently the trophy in Borderlands 2 for killing a fully leveled up Goliath :bigsmile:

G13
10-16-2012, 01:09 AM
I'll do ones that seem fun, which is why I like the AC ones cause they often involve doing something amusing that only bored people would try, like climbing the tallest object in the game and proceeding to parachute off it and see how far you can get. I never cared for games with multiplayer achievements cause they are pretty boring and require more time and effort than I can put into them. I have a job and a life now, I can't live like the arcade scene was still alive.

Yeah, I don't usually go for multiplayer ones either. Not much of an online player and most of the time they don't sound very fun to try and get.

Iceglow
10-17-2012, 02:22 AM
I'm a bit of a mixed bag on achievements. I'll give my all to getting achievements what most people would go "but why?" about, stuff like sitting there and grinding my brain away as I plough through Halo Reach on Solo Legendary with no "mini-hacks" (where the player messes around with tracking forwards and back to load/unload enemies on the map making certain levels a lot easier than they are/ought to be) though perhaps ironically I find the mental challenge of working out the way through those sort of challenges fun but I do know when to walk away, for example CoD 4 Modern Warfare I have 980 out of 1000 points on. I could go for the final 20 which was simply by completing the bonus mission at the end of the game "Mile High Club" on the highest difficulty. I have the skillset to do that mission given however I would have to figure out how/rely on some luck to push through 30 - 40 enemies on the highest difficulty in under 90 seconds and then finish the mission's final encounter with a headshot perfectly placed I decided that it wouldn't be worth it. I had 960 achievements on Resident Evil 5 prior to the release of the DLC and could easily in 15 mins or so boosted that to 980/1000 but decided it wouldn't be worth it.

However most games I play I will generally not care about every achievement in the game and will rely upon enjoying the game. That being said I really need to re-purchase Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV and Saints Row 3, I understand why I had to sell those games but it bothers me.

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2012, 08:07 AM
I really enjoyed doing the Halo Legendary Solo playthroughs. I did it on 3, even though you don't need to, and it was intense as hell. Made the campaign super enjoyable for me, which is important in the later games because the story is nowhere near as good as CE xD.

Faris
10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Gotta catch em all! Nah, they're fun to get but it depends on how much I like the game if I'll spend more time and split some hairs to get them all.

Flaming Ice
10-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Don't mind them but rpgs have really stupid ones at times "collect all items", and stuff like that. Not everyone has the time to do that. And sometimes there are things that you can miss and you'll have to start over on a new game just to get.