PDA

View Full Version : The most present day Fantasy?

Formalhaut
10-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Is it just me, or is this game perhaps the closest example of a "present day" Final Fantasy. it has the following:

Cars
Guns and sniper rifles
Radio transmissions
"Schools", granted, incredibly militarised ones
Magazines
Recognisably modern towns
Spacesuits, reminiscent of modern day spacesuits

While FFVII has most of these, I found VII to be slightly more fantasy. What do you think?

Mirage
10-13-2012, 06:42 PM
I think you're right. FF13 is naturally more high tech, but that's way ahead of where we are today again. FF7's tech was like half 1960s, half present day. FF8 was more like 90% present day, 5% future, 5% a few decades ago. Excluding Esthar, cause you know why.

And of course, excluding the melee weapons, but that's a given because it is a japanese RPG we're playing after all.

Although I tihnk the gardens are more like military academies than schools. I am sure there are regular schools in the world as well, even if we didn't get to see them.

Edge7
10-13-2012, 07:21 PM
I remember reading somewhere that they figured Final Fantasy VIII took place sometime around the 60's with the way the cars looked, the constant presence of war, the fact that 20 years ago, Laguna was fighting in a larger scale war, etc.

I'm not sure how much gravity that theory holds, but it makes sense. Plus Raine's and Ellone's clothing strikes me as 50's.

Night Fury
10-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I agree, it seems very 'now'

One of the reasons that I loved 8 when I was younger was because of the world it created, and how realistic it was (set aside the fantasy) and for a long time I really wanted to go to Balamb Garden and be a Trepie!

I love the world of FFVIII.

Gamblet
10-13-2012, 08:05 PM
It kind of reminds me of the 80s.

Jinx
10-13-2012, 08:19 PM
I think I feel like FFVII is more "present day" because there's way more corruption and serfdom in that world.

Mirage
10-14-2012, 02:06 AM
I remember reading somewhere that they figured Final Fantasy VIII took place sometime around the 60's with the way the cars looked, the constant presence of war, the fact that 20 years ago, Laguna was fighting in a larger scale war, etc.

I'm not sure how much gravity that theory holds, but it makes sense. Plus Raine's and Ellone's clothing strikes me as 50's.

I don't think the war laguna participated in has any significance. There are wars all the time, after all. I don't really think the cars looked a lot like a specific earth time period, personally.

Jiro
10-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Final Fantasy VIII definitely had the most modern feel.

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2012, 11:53 AM

I don't think the war laguna participated in has any significance. There are wars all the time, after all. I don't really think the cars looked a lot like a specific earth time period, personally.

I don't know, the war Laguna fought in is said to be a world war with Esthar against all the other nations. It's how Galbadia acquired some of the places like Timber. So it was close to being an equivalent world war. It's not like there were many nations in VIII to begin with.

I feel VIII is the closest to now, largely because places like Dollet and Deling City could have real world equivalents now. I mean what really makes them different from a a late 20th/early 21st century European cities like Berlin and Paris? Even the characters clothing is mostly modern when you look at civilian clothing and the military formal wear.

VII is kind of a bit of post WWII meets 80s Akira (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_%28film%29)it's the next closest to our modern world though it's also the second most Japanese world as well with the game showing a lot of customs and elements you would only see in Tokyo like Lucky Neko statues in front of stores, female greeters for convience stores, and random English words scattered about like the Texas sign in Tifa's Bar/AVALNACHE Hideout.

Chris
10-16-2012, 11:51 AM
I love every design of this game. The gameplay has its shortcomings, but no one can faulter its design. Of VII, VIII and FFIX, this game is my least favorite, but I can't deny the fact the FVIII is the best-looking of the three. Yes, it is the most contemporary in design, and every location looks "real" and completely inhabitable.

Jinx
10-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I love every design of this game. The gameplay has its shortcomings, but no one can faulter its design. Of VII, VIII and FFIX, this game is my least favorite, but I can't deny the fact the FVIII is the best-looking of the three. Yes, it is the most contemporary in design, and every location looks "real" and completely inhabitable.

I can. I hate the design.

Chris
10-16-2012, 12:49 PM
But you probably wouldn't even spit on someone if they were on fire. :blahblah:

Shorty
10-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Don't forget the crazy technology of Esthar. Dollet and Timber especially are also prime examples of the technology in the game. I can completely agree that it's and incredibly modern and present day representation of Final Fantasy.

I like what WK said about post WWII meets Akira. I can completely see this game being in that kind of world.