PDA

View Full Version : Are we allowed to Who it up here? Thoughts, etc on the last ep before after Christmas

snacks
10-14-2012, 02:33 AM
So how about them Ponds eh?

I wasn't a huge fan of Doctor Who until a couple years ago when I powered through all of s1-5 in a weekend, and I got to know the companions pretty well. I really like the Ponds a lot and it wasn't super forced with Amy/Rory/11.

Anyways, I guess I wasn't a huge fan of Rose leaving because it was like over acting and trying way too hard to be this intense emotional scene when the message could have been conveyed better, with less OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY etc.

Donna leaving was a bit more emotional to me, she realizes that she can't contain Time Lord knowledge and has to never remember what she's done. I think Wilf did it the most.

The Ponds? Kind of left me empty I'd have to say. They had a lot of really heartbreaking moments (Rory killing Amy, Rory dying, etc) and I don't know I felt the whole Weeping Angels thing was a little rushed. I don't remember them being able to send people back through time, as far as I can remember. And Amy's goodbye was, well it was emotional but I think what really stuck out was Matt Smith's face back on the Tardis.

How do you feel about it? I just don't know if it was supposed to feel more emotional to me, or if maybe it was forced?

NorthernChaosGod
10-14-2012, 05:57 AM
I totally didn't get into Doctor Who until earlier this year, I completely powered through the first 5 series in like two or three weeks.

I actually kind of liked the Ponds send off. Most of the time it's been this huge, earth-shattering thing when the companion is leaving and it was kind of nice for it to not really be like that. Having said that, it was immensely heartbreaking to see Amy after the angel got Rory and then 11's reaction to them both being gone. D:

Also, Karen Gillan is fucking gorgeous and I'm going to miss seeing her so much. DD:

The Man
10-14-2012, 07:56 AM
I think most of the episodes this season would have benefited from being about ten minutes longer, and this one was no exception. The ending sort of felt rushed, as a lot of them have (this problem was especially egregious with "The Power of Three", where the Doctor basically waved a wand to solve the problems of the episode. Then again, the conflict wasn't the central point of that episode anyway, so it's not a particularly big deal).

In this case I felt like the episode just sort of... ended. There was an unfilmed scene with the Doctor going to visit Rory's dad which I really wish had been included - the ramifications of Amy and Rory's departure basically aren't explored at all. They couldn't really have plausibly cut anything from this so that's another part of the reason I think the episodes should have been longer. (Of course, they couldn't have run them on BBC America in a normal one-hour block with commercials, and running episodes on BBC America with commercials is a large part of the reason the series has such high production values, so I guess it was inevitable).

That said, the episode definitely hit me like a tonne of bricks anyway despite its flaws. One of the most devastating companion exits I've seen, probably rivalling Doomsday and Journey's End.

And yeah, Karen Gillan is pretty much one of the most beautiful people in the world so yeah. Then again Jenna-Louise Coleman is pretty damn attractive herself :monster: