PDA

View Full Version : Nobody likes you when you're twenty-three

Pike
10-14-2012, 04:44 PM
I remember when I first heard that Blink-182 song "What's My Age Again". I was like... 14 or 15 or something and that lyric, "nobody likes you when you're 23" just seemed so far away to me. "Wow. 23! That must be what it's like to be a grownup."

Now I'm 28 and it just makes me feel old.

What are some songs that have had the meaning change for you as you've gotten older? Or, alternatively, that make you feel old?

Rantz
10-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Any song about being a teenager really!

FC3y9llDXuM

*Laurelindo*
10-14-2012, 05:24 PM
A lot of romantic songs are about a grown-up having a crush on a 16-year-old girl, that can sometimes make me feel somewhat old at 26.

Also, I know that this is just a tad off-topic, but when exactly do you become "old" anyway?
Some people seem to believe that "old" is anything above 20, but I don't agree.
I don't even consider 28 to be "old"; now if you were 40+ years then you may be considered middle-aged or something.
Now I'm 26 and a lot of my former classmates often point out that they are "starting to grow old", and I can't sympathize with them at all.

Seriously though, a lot of people in their 35-40's still look fairly young to me.
It's at around age 45-50 that they start to show truly obvious signs of old age, IMO.

I Took the Red Pill
10-14-2012, 05:50 PM
That one song, "Flavor of the Weak". By American Hi-Fi. I was too young to know what the line "too stoned, Nintendo" meant. I thought her boyfriend had a super limited edition Nintendo with two precious stones in it, or something. I was pretty stupid.

Clo
10-15-2012, 02:13 AM
I think it's called "Soco Amaretto Lime" by Brand New.

"we're gonna stay 18 forever, so it can stay like this forever."

Yeh, 18 was not that great.

Sephex
10-15-2012, 04:23 AM
"Meet Grady. 29 year old Construction worker..." (Eminem's "Guilty Conscious" for the record)

Wow, that seems like so far away. That dude is old!

I am 30 now. Go **** yourself, 17 year old me.

Pike
10-15-2012, 04:10 PM
That one song, "Flavor of the Weak". By American Hi-Fi. I was too young to know what the line "too stoned, Nintendo" meant. I thought her boyfriend had a super limited edition Nintendo with two precious stones in it, or something. I was pretty stupid.

This is amazing.

Slothy
10-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Tool's The Patient comes to mind as a big one for me. I first listened to it when Lateralus came out so I was about 16 I guess. Never gave it much thought really beyond it being a cool song until years later when some stuff my dad was going through made the song, and a specific passage in particular, resonate more strongly with me. Then maybe a year or so later I found it resonating with things happening in my own life and it continues to to this day. For those curious, the specific passage in question is:

"If there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now."

Shorty
10-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Alkaline Trio - My Little Needle

"trade in my bike for a shopping cart" exemplifies the necessities of and entering adulthood and leaving behind your youth for me.

Jiro
10-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Oh yeah I'm not a teenager now so I guess I should feel some sort of detachment to these songs.

Except it was only just the other week that I realised I wasn't 18 still. I'll come back in a couple years when I can't forget that I'm "an adult"

Shoeberto
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
I look at a lot of my music collection very differently now. Especially stuff like Modest Mouse, Radiohead and Pink Floyd. I used to never really liked "Us and Them" off Dark Side of the Moon for a long time (first heard it at like 15) but I listened to it a few months ago and was like holy fuck this describes the world so perfectly.

Pete for President
10-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Pink Floyd indeed Shoeberto.

When I was 13 we got taught music in school and we spent a few lessons covering Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and the Wall (both the album and film). Back then no-one cared, everyone made fun of it and tried to forget it as soon as possible. If that teacher could see my 'most listened to' playlist now...