PDA

View Full Version : Five(Six)-Man Band in FF13?

Reverof Enola
10-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Third time doing this and it never gets old! Just want your interpretation on the six main characters within the party(Lightning, Sazh, Snow, Hope, Vanille, and Fang). Just organize them into the six roles which I will have listed here.

The Leader/Hero - Like it says usually the most important, and when it comes to gameplay they are usually the "Jack-of-all-Stats" therefore making them second best when it comes to the other roles.

The Lancer - the Leader/Hero's foil(extremely similar to the Hero with a key difference or drastically different from them). They maybe the ones that second in command.

The Big Guy - Self Explanatory, the tank for the party, may prefer big weapons or clobbers them with fists

The Smart Guy - Yeah really self- explanatory however since this is a fantasy setting they usually are skilled in magic.

The Chick- The Heart of the group. More than likely may become dansel in distress but usually brings the whole group together when they have hit a rough spot.(Isn't always female)

The Sixth Ranger- The character who just sticks out and may appear when the group is in mid- adventure.
Should I do this for other FF games?

Jiro
10-17-2012, 03:30 AM
I'm not too sure how it would work with the cast of XIII. Primary instinct tells me that Lightning is the Hero. Snow could be either the Lancer or the Big Guy. Fang could also be the Big Guy or the Lancer, though she isn't really the Lancer to Lightning's Hero. Vanille could be the Smart Guy or the Chick, though I think Hope is more befitting of the Smart Guy than the Chick. Sazh is easily the Sixth Ranger, though he also functions as the Lancer to Lightning's Hero early on.

Reverof Enola
10-17-2012, 05:42 AM
I'm not too sure how it would work with the cast of XIII. Primary instinct tells me that Lightning is the Hero. Snow could be either the Lancer or the Big Guy. Fang could also be the Big Guy or the Lancer, though she isn't really the Lancer to Lightning's Hero. Vanille could be the Smart Guy or the Chick, though I think Hope is more befitting of the Smart Guy than the Chick. Sazh is easily the Sixth Ranger, though he also functions as the Lancer to Lightning's Hero early on.
So then what's your choice? Remember don't think too hard on this, since this is more first thing that comes to mind. My mine would be:
Lightning- Hero
Sazh - Lancer
Snow - Big Guy
Hope - Smart Guy
Vanille - Chick
Fang - Sixth Ranger

Jiro
10-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Hero - Lightning
Lancer - Snow
Big Guy - Fang
Smart Guy - Hope
Chick - Vanille
Sixth Ranger - Sazh

It varies though. But I'd say generally the cast doesn't fit this archetype very well anyway.

Reverof Enola
10-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Hero - Lightning
Lancer - Snow
Big Guy - Fang
Smart Guy - Hope
Chick - Vanille
Sixth Ranger - Sazh

It varies though. But I'd say generally the cast doesn't fit this archetype very well anyway.
You sure Fang is a big guy? I mean she is last person to join the group, she wasn't there when everyone received their marks, the person who she is trying to protect to protect is within, their group(unlike Dajh and Serah), and she turns into Ragnarok(kind of). This is ample enough evidence to prove she is a sixth ranger.

Jiro
10-22-2012, 01:28 PM
In terms of raw damage dealing potential, Fang outshines everyone. She's often used as the commando in post-game play. For that reason I think her position as a powerful warrior cements her as a big guy. I know she joins the party last, but I can't see her as the wild card Sixth Ranger for some reason. :shrug:

Formalhaut
10-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Sazh is easily the sixth ranger, he only serves as the foil to Lightning for the first chapter or two. Past that, he blends with the background, exception being part of the dyad with Vanille. Overall, I'd go:

Hero = Lightning
Lancer = Snow (Especially during the early chapters)
Big Guy = Fang (Less obvious, but she rules in Commando)
Smart Guy = Hope (Excels in magic, though really he's not that smart during cutscenes)
Chick = Vanille, obviously
Sixth Ranger = Sazh (Serves as lancer early on and joint hero during Vanille/Sazh sections)

Reverof Enola
10-22-2012, 09:48 PM
In terms of raw damage dealing potential, Fang outshines everyone. She's often used as the commando in post-game play. For that reason I think her position as a powerful warrior cements her as a big guy. I know she joins the party last, but I can't see her as the wild card Sixth Ranger for some reason. :shrug:
But Snow is freakin 6' 7" inches!!! He has the largest HP thus making him an ideal role for a Sentinel. Plus, the dude attacks with his fists.

Formalhaut
10-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I can understand Fang being the last ranger, in regard to the end game cutscenes. Remember when she deliberately gave in to her anger and disobeyed the group, transforming into an incomplete Ragnarok to attack Orphan, which ends up turning the rest (Aside Vanille, for some reason) into Cie'th.

In that sense, she can be said to be the lone ranger, somewhat.

Reverof Enola
10-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I can understand Fang being the last ranger, in regard to the end game cutscenes. Remember when she deliberately gave in to her anger and disobeyed the group, transforming into an incomplete Ragnarok to attack Orphan, which ends up turning the rest (Aside Vanille, for some reason) into Cie'th.

In that sense, she can be said to be the lone ranger, somewhat.
No one read my rant on why she is the sixth ranger https://s3.amazonaws.com/TrollEmoticons/foreveralonedance.gif.

Jiro
10-24-2012, 02:15 AM
No one read my rant on why she is the sixth ranger https://s3.amazonaws.com/TrollEmoticons/foreveralonedance.gif.

Oh I read it! You have some very sound points, but I just think there are far too many factors in play for it to be as simple as designating the One True SetupTM. There are a bunch of different perspectives, like if you consider Lightning to be the hero, or if you believe Snow and his "I'm the hero" business. It's different if you look at it post game, early game, or somewhere in the middle. Fang and Vanille's relationship can change the dynamic of the setup, as well as Snow/Sazh competing to be Lightning's Lancer, and Hope trying to be Vanille and Snow's Lancer.

Reverof Enola
10-24-2012, 02:58 AM

Oh I read it! You have some very sound points, but I just think there are far too many factors in play for it to be as simple as designating the One True SetupTM. There are a bunch of different perspectives, like if you consider Lightning to be the hero, or if you believe Snow and his "I'm the hero" business. It's different if you look at it post game, early game, or somewhere in the middle. Fang and Vanille's relationship can change the dynamic of the setup, as well as Snow/Sazh competing to be Lightning's Lancer, and Hope trying to be Vanille and Snow's Lancer.
Meh, could be right http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FiveManBand/VideoGamesD-F

Laddy
11-28-2012, 06:56 PM
The Leader/Hero - Lightning
The Lancer - Snow
The Big Guy - Fang
The Smart Guy - Sazh
The Chick- Vanille
The Sixth Ranger- Hope

blackmage_nuke
11-30-2012, 04:01 AM
The Leader/Hero - Lightning, her decisive actions and unwavering determinations drive the party to continually move forward
The Lancer- Lightning, when the fake leader of the group snow fails, lightning steps up to pick up the pieces
The Big Guy- Lightning, she hit's hard and hits often
The Smart Guy- Lightning, always comes up with the bright ideas
The Chick- Lightning, has tits and a vagina
The Sixth Ranger- Sazh's baby chocobo. Without him the group would be nothing.

Reverof Enola
11-30-2012, 06:03 AM
The Leader/Hero - Lightning, her decisive actions and unwavering determinations drive the party to continually move forward
The Lancer- Lightning, when the fake leader of the group snow fails, lightning steps up to pick up the pieces
The Big Guy- Lightning, she hit's hard and hits often
The Smart Guy- Lightning, always comes up with the bright ideas
The Chick- Lightning, has tits and a vagina
The Sixth Ranger- Sazh's baby chocobo. Without him the group would be nothing.
Wow someone really knows how to use more than one character like was implied. But hey good for you.