PDA

View Full Version : Question for smokers

blackmage_nuke
10-17-2012, 05:25 AM
When a stranger comes up to you on the street and asks for a cigarette do you give them one?

Im just curious as to how this social transaction actually carries out.

Jinx
10-17-2012, 05:26 AM
I don't smoke, but I wouldn't.

Go get a job and buy your own smokes. :colbert:

escobert
10-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. If I know them I usually do because I'll bum one from them some other time :p

Shlup
10-17-2012, 07:43 AM
I did give one to people when they asked me, yes. I only smoked socially though so it was always at a party or a concert, and often lead to chatting with them. Smoking is an easy way to meet people. xD

Araciel
10-17-2012, 07:45 AM
And cancer. :(

Shlup
10-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Oh boo hoo. I have ten cancers right now.

Araciel
10-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Do you have a favourite?!

Also I likely would give up some if they weren't worth a mint.

blackmage_nuke
10-17-2012, 07:48 AM
I did give one to people when they asked me, yes. I only smoked socially though so it was always at a party or a concert, and often lead to chatting with them. Smoking is an easy way to meet people. xD

But would you give one to them if you were casually strolling down the street when a complete stranger asks you for one?
Because it's happened to me at least once a month and I wonder how ofthen it actually works.

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2012, 07:57 AM
That's pretty much the norm in Paris. They're cheap bastards here. If you're walking around with anything, they'll ask you for one. And people mostly oblige.

Shlup
10-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Do you have a favourite?!

Also I likely would give up some if they weren't worth a mint.
Picking a favorite cancer is like picking a favorite child: easy, but you don't tell anyone.

But would you give one to them if you were casually strolling down the street when a complete stranger asks you for one?
Because it's happened to me at least once a month and I wonder how ofthen it actually works.
I'm sure I told them it was my last one or that I bummed it from someone else or something.

Tigmafuzz
10-17-2012, 08:22 AM
I actually do carry around a cigarette or two around occasionally just because I have a few friends who smoke and when we hang out they sometimes forget to bring their stuff with them. Usually their cigarettes or their keys or something. Also that way I'm prepared for random people passing me on the sidewalk asking if I have a smoke. I don't smoke cigarettes though :p

That's pretty much the norm in Paris. They're cheap bastards here. If you're walking around with anything, they'll ask you for one. And people mostly oblige.

Begrudgingly.

Parker
10-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I no longer smoke but when I did it would depend on how many I had left and stuff.

Chris
10-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't smoke, but I don't see why not. 'Cuz I'm a lover, not a fighter, so.

Iceglow
10-17-2012, 12:29 PM
depends really, I mean if you're on a night out and you've just cracked open a 20 deck and someone comes up and is like "sorry mate, you gotta spare smoke?" and you're there holding a fresh deck it's kinda the dickhead move to go "no" at that point. If you're walking down the street and you've got like maybe 2 or 3 left in a deck and someone asks for a smoke it becomes something of a checklist:

1) Is the person female? If yes proceed to q2a, if not then proceed to q2b.
2a) Is the girl hot? If yes proceed to q3, if not then no
2b) Is the person your friend? If yes then yes, if not then no.
3) Is the guy standing 3ft away clearly her boyfriend? If yes then no, if not then yes.

Sometimes q3 is surplus and you can give a yes on q2 but generally speaking unless you're a hot girl or my friend if I've got maybe 2 or 3 smokes left on me after a night out or before a night out (socially smoking only for me unless stressed or upset) then you're not getting one from me. I don't buy 20 decks as a rule of thumb unless I owe someone majorly or it's my only option. As for how I say no? I generally tell them "sorry, I don't smoke"

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I too have noticed that women immediately get their fannies out once I show them a cigarette. One time, I was like the fucking Pied Piper, leading all these horny girls to my sex cavern with a trail of smoky exhalations.

Jinx
10-17-2012, 02:50 PM
I too have noticed that women immediately get their fannies out once I show them a cigarette. One time, I was like the smurfing Pied Piper, leading all these horny girls to my sex cavern with a trail of smoky exhalations.

Only a "special cigarette" could lead a woman to follow you around, Quin.

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2012, 04:41 PM
It was one of those chocolate fags, if that's what you mean? ;)

Breine
10-17-2012, 04:50 PM
I only smoke when I drink. Mostly anyways. It's rare that I smoke while not being under the influence of alcohol. Beer and smokes are just great together. Anyway, if I for some reason find the person to be obnoxious (i.e. probably 'cause of them being way too drunk) I usually say no. But generally I say yes. I mean, it's spreading good karma (... and cancer, yay!) - who's not into that. Also, I sometimes find myself asking for one, so I'd be a dick not to say yes to people.

I actually got told of rather harshly the last Friday for asking some guys for a cigarette. One of them gave me this whole speech about me buying my own and not harrasing people. He wasn't into the whole karma thing I guess. Or maybe I was just drunk and obnoxious.

Pumpkin
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Most people I know who smoke do say yes because they realize they will probably be in the position to ask some stranger for one some day. The only time they say no is if they only have a few left.

Formalhaut
10-17-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't smoke, yet some people walk up to me nonchalantly and asks me for one. I give them such an evil look, sort of saying "How dare you think I am a smoker!"

Jiro
10-17-2012, 11:41 PM
You don't want to sell me death sticks. You want to go home and rethink your life.

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2012, 07:16 AM
I don' want to sell you death sticks. I want to go home and rethink my life.

Shorty
10-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm usually only a social/drinking smoker but if some random person asks me to bum one, I'll help them out. Not too many people ask me for cloves, though.

NorthernChaosGod
10-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Back when I still smoked I would usually give one up because I didn't get asked much and wasn't a heavy smoker anyway.

krissy
10-19-2012, 03:18 AM
not since grade school

dark_night
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I too have noticed that women immediately get their fannies out once I show them a cigarette. One time, I was like the smurfing Pied Piper, leading all these horny girls to my sex cavern with a trail of smoky exhalations.

:|:|:|:|:|:|

Quindiana Jones
10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm so proud of myself for inspiring someone to join. :bigsmile:

Formalhaut
10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
And what a introductory post to inspire them with.

Unbreakable Will
10-22-2012, 04:32 PM
I used to, and whenever someone asked it was only when I knew them. :p

Zeldy
10-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Ive only been stopped by a complete randomer once asking for a cig, I thought it was so bizarre and said it was my last one or something. Although, on a night out I'll be quite generous with them, painfully generous sometimes by subbing people all night for cigs, but there's been a lot of times where I've bummed cigs off folk anyway

twenty decks though, got to keep them on the down low.

Cuchulainn
10-22-2012, 04:43 PM
I was gonna say something but i cant be arsed.

Jowy
10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
I always oblige if anyone asks. They could be in a dire situation where just needing a bit of nicotine can make it a little better!

Mirage
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Next time i see someone smoking i'm going to ask them if i can have 50 cents instead of a cigarette cause I don't smoke.

escobert
10-22-2012, 08:13 PM
depends really, I mean if you're on a night out and you've just cracked open a 20 deck and someone comes up and is like "sorry mate, you gotta spare smoke?" and you're there holding a fresh deck it's kinda the dickhead move to go "no" at that point. If you're walking down the street and you've got like maybe 2 or 3 left in a deck and someone asks for a smoke it becomes something of a checklist:

1) Is the person female? If yes proceed to q2a, if not then proceed to q2b.
2a) Is the girl hot? If yes proceed to q3, if not then no
2b) Is the person your friend? If yes then yes, if not then no.
3) Is the guy standing 3ft away clearly her boyfriend? If yes then no, if not then yes.

Sometimes q3 is surplus and you can give a yes on q2 but generally speaking unless you're a hot girl or my friend if I've got maybe 2 or 3 smokes left on me after a night out or before a night out (socially smoking only for me unless stressed or upset) then you're not getting one from me. I don't buy 20 decks as a rule of thumb unless I owe someone majorly or it's my only option. As for how I say no? I generally tell them "sorry, I don't smoke"

wtf deck!? who besides you crazy English people calls a PACK of butts a deck? wtf!? and where the hell do they sell packs of anything but 20 cigs? I've never seen them in the 13 years that I've smoked.

Mirage
10-22-2012, 08:31 PM
It's pretty common here in Norway. They sell both 10 and 20 packs here.