PDA

View Full Version : American Horror Story: Asylum [Spoilers inside!]

Jinx
10-17-2012, 09:27 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m43/Milksboy/American-Horror-Story-05.jpg

Tonight is the season two premier of American Horror Story. Instead of following a chronological story, they have decided to make an anthology instead.

Set in 1964, American Horror Story: Asylum takes us into a Church-run haven for the criminally insane, ruled with an iron fist by Sister Jude (Jessica Lange), a nun with a troubled past. Inside this locked down facility, danger lurks around every corner. From Nazis and serial killers, to mutants and aliens, no one is safe inside these walls. Starring Jessica Lange as “Sister Jude”, Sarah Paulson as “Lana Winters”, James Cromwell as “Dr. Arthur Arden,” Evan Peters as “Kit Walker,” Lily Rabe as “Sister Mary Eunice,” Lizzie Brocheré as “Grace,” Zachary Quinto as “Dr. Oliver Thredson,” and Joseph Fiennes as “Monsignor Timothy Howard.” Guest stars for the miniseries will include Frances Conroy, Chloe Sevigny, Adam Levine and Mark Consuelos.

Does anyone else watch this show/excited for the premier? What are your thoughts on the changes in the show, and only two of the original cast returning? What do you think about this season's theme?

Discuss!

Rantz
10-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm glad they didn't continue with the same story. Horror is a genre that doesn't really work with stories that continue indefinitely. Takes away a good deal of suspense. That said, I do like the show well enough and will be watching the second season.

McLovin'
10-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Looks pretty insane. I'll watch just to see if they pull off that crazy creepy crap that they did in the first season.

Lonely Paper Star
10-18-2012, 05:27 AM
So I didn't have to watch the first season to see this one? Good, because I love this kind of shit.

Jinx
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
So aliens and crazy Frankenstein monsters!

I'm curious to see what they're doing with this alien plot. They took what they did last season, and got even mooooore freaky.

It was cool to see the returning actors in this episode:
The kid who played Tate is playing Kit this season
The woman who played the wife of the mad doctor is playing a nun this season
The woman who played the medium is playing the lesbian this season
And of course Jessica Lange. :3 I love her.

EDIT: Pitye--no, you don't have to watch last season to understand this season. But it would be fun, if only because it's cool picking out the new characters. And you have a different bond with them, because of the characters they were last season (even though they're completely unrelated.) Also, if you like horror, you should definitely watch the first season anyways. It's an AMAZING season of television, and there are only 13 1-hour episodes.

Depression Moon
10-19-2012, 01:32 AM
I was confused when I first saw this because they had 2 of the same actors from last season in this one and I was thinking for a while if this was continuing where the last season ended. I like how they're using an asylum this time around. It reminds me of Batman.

Lonely Paper Star
10-19-2012, 03:17 AM
EDIT: Pitye--no, you don't have to watch last season to understand this season. But it would be fun, if only because it's cool picking out the new characters. And you have a different bond with them, because of the characters they were last season (even though they're completely unrelated.) Also, if you like horror, you should definitely watch the first season anyways. It's an AMAZING season of television, and there are only 13 1-hour episodes.

I love horror! I just haven't had time since I concentrated on other shows, but since some of my shows are either off-season or delayed (coughCommunitycough), then I'll check out the first one.

I did see this new episode, though. Hooked now. ;o

Clo
10-20-2012, 12:13 AM
I really enjoyed that first episode. It's over-the-top, but in a pleasant way.

McLovin'
10-20-2012, 03:29 AM
That chick in the beginning was so damn hot. God. Also wtf at dirty nun thoughts!? That's just wrong. And so the kid got like anal probed by little green men. At least we've established complete absurdity in the first 10 min haha :D

Overall looks to be pretty disturbing. You've gotta be pretty messed up to like this. That said I'll watch it just to see how far they'll go :D

Lonely Paper Star
10-20-2012, 05:13 AM
I was very surprised seeing Adam Levine in the Season 2 premiere. O_o

Also, I'm finally watching the first season of this show. I'm about halfway through now. It's a pretty intriguing show.

Unbreakable Will
10-20-2012, 05:27 AM
I watched it with Nikki on the premier, we haven't seen season one but really like the show thus far. The plot seems to be one that will unravel slowly, but enjoyably so, and the characters really have great dialogue and motivations. 9/10

Also, Adam Lavigne humping a hooker/on-show wife was a pretty hilarious opening imo.

Jinx
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Will--if the first season is anything to go by, the story as a whole unravels slowly. But every episode you get a reveal, and a piece of the story. Since FX only does 13-episode seasons, they don't have time for filler episodes. Which is probably part of the reason I love this show so much. You never feel like you're wasting time by watching it, or they're pulling you along. If you and Nikki have any way to download the show or get a hold of the first season on DVD, I highly recommend it.

Pitye--it only gets better and better, I promise.

Lonely Paper Star
10-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Welp. I marathoned through the season and I was satisfied. I am fan now.

Now to wait on the next episode... :redface:

Shorty
10-23-2012, 08:24 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the premier of season two. I latched onto the first one so much and wanted to know more and more and loved everything in general, but I suppose it was best that they quit while they were ahead. I was severely opposed to the thought of different stories and settings for each season but now I think it an work. Like Rantz said, it's hard to make horror stories continue indefinitely.

I've always had a soft spot for asylum horror and there's sooo much they can do with the page they've painted so far. I've been racking my brain trying to think of what hospital they are perhaps using the setting as or that they have this asylum loosely based around. Joseph Fiennes' character mentioned something about tuburculosis and they specifically mentioned the death chutes, so Waverly Hills Sanatorium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverly_Hills_Sanatorium) is the first one that comes to mind for me.

I do love seeing members of the old cast (all of my favorites) reappearing. These boys know how to make horror work and I adore everything. I'm absolutely intrigued and look forward to the rest of the episodes and I think it'll live up to the expectations that season one set for me.

Jinx
10-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Shorty--I felt the same way. When I first heard they were doing an anthology, and not a continuation, I was peeved! But I too, love asylum horror, so I've grown to the idea. And you're right--they've set a good stage for themselves.

This is just me, but I'd love in the next season or three to see them do something with carnival horror. :D

My mom told me she read in an interview with Jessica Lange that she wasn't going to come back this season, but they asked her to read the script before she made a final decision, and that she said the writing was too good to pass up. So I hope it lives up to its potential!

Shorty
10-23-2012, 08:39 PM
oh my sweet lord I would love a sideshow horror, that is an excellent idea.

edit: also I knew that fucking thing they pulled out of tate's neck was going to be an alien device

yukina
10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
First time I saw the trailer, I knew creepy sh*t was going to happen. Industrial sound + creepy nuns + the stair sequence = chills. Wasn't a big fan of the first but then again, I stopped watching after the first episode.

Asylum's premiere episode is golden though. You'd have to be dead to not cringe even just once the whole hour. Then again, there's something about asylums that just scare the hell out of people. I love the fast 2-second bits they sneak in between sequences, like the one when the head nun and the mad doctor were talking.

Lonely Paper Star
10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
I agree with the others on asylum horror. For me, I think it's the unpredictability of the characters and patients that gets me. I don't know what exactly is going to come out at me and to what extent. Also, the experimenting factor. I majored in psychology throughout college, so perhaps I should be like, pshhh asylums and "crazy" people and so-called doctors don't scare me... but not in horror, I guess. XD

I too like the idea of carnival horror. "Freak show" stuff doesn't really scare me, though, unless they get creative with it.

Depression Moon
10-25-2012, 04:03 AM
This episode confused me towards the end. What I'm referring to is the scene with the shy nun and the doctor. She was over his house like a prostitute, was caught snooping, ran off, then the next scene, he was visiting her back in the asylum. Not to mention she had passed out when the possessed boy died.

Is anyone clear on what's happening with that character

Lonely Paper Star
10-25-2012, 04:29 AM
This episode confused me towards the end. What I'm referring to is the scene with the shy nun and the doctor. She was over his house like a prostitute, was caught snooping, ran off, then the next scene, he was visiting her back in the asylum. Not to mention she had passed out when the possessed boy died.

Is anyone clear on what's happening with that character

I was confused, too, but I thought they were two different characters. I guess I can't tell blondes apart. ._.

drotato
10-27-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that was a different girl, just a prostitute he had called over. But they did look alike.
But now we find out that the mad doctor guy is like Jack the Ripper. Whoo. I wasn't really surprised. xD
But that guy was in the pig movie, and he was so nice... What's it called, Babe? Yeah, now I will never see him the same way again. xD
And I'm guessing shy nun chick just got possessed and is going to fuck shit up in the next couple of episodes.

Overall I love the show so far. I want to watch the first season, for sure. (:

Jinx
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
I didn't find it all that confusing. Like Nikki said, it was a prostitute that looked like her. He obviously chose her for a reason--her resemblance. That's why he had her dress up as a nun.

He totally has a thing for innocent women. When he was talking to the Nymphomaniac, you could hear how much he was disgusted by her. Same with the prostitute. That's why he is so into the nun. And in the previews for this week's episode, it shows that he's very angry that she's (presumably) fucking shit up since she's possessed. "She's been contaminated."

Yup.

All in all, I think that this season is going to be way scarier than last season. And last season scared the shit out of me. I just think the subject matter (asylum, aliens, possession) is much scarier than last season's (a house in a vortex, so they can't leave.)

drotato
10-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Yeah, I'm excited to see what they do with this story-line. :bigsmile:

Clo
11-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Da hell is out in the woods?!?!

drotato
11-02-2012, 02:15 AM
ZOMBIES~! Maybe. xD

Depression Moon
11-02-2012, 02:26 AM
FUCK I forgot this was on yesterday!

Clo
11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
ZOMBIES~! Maybe. xD

Is it SERIOUSLY zombies?! So we're dealing with aliens, demons, and ZOMBIES?!

drotato
11-02-2012, 07:55 PM
ZOMBIES~! Maybe. xD

Is it SERIOUSLY zombies?! So we're dealing with aliens, demons, and ZOMBIES?!
Hahaha, I'm not sure if they are really zombies, but that's kind of what they looked like. o. o

Lonely Paper Star
11-03-2012, 12:26 AM
I was honestly a bit bored with this episode, but my favorite part, for some reason, was at the end of the episode when the main three came back to their seats. XD

Clo
11-03-2012, 12:38 AM
And Jude didn't even know they left, haha. But the pinhead is gone

Lonely Paper Star
11-03-2012, 01:15 AM
And Jude didn't even know they left, haha. But the pinhead is gone

OH YEAH, I remember that. I look forward to the next episode. XD

McLovin'
11-03-2012, 04:21 AM
This episode was completely awesome. I love that the freakin' DEVIL is now a main character and is causing crazy shit. Lovin it. This season is so far superior than the previous season. That actress that is playing the devil is damn good. It's such a contrast to when she was all innocent and stuff. Props to her.

yukina
11-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Watched the first 3 episods already and this is turning out to be one of the sickest shows I have ever watched. Lily Rabe is wonderfully disturbing as the possessed nun. Zachary Quinto is pretty good eye candy (fangirl moment). The story feels a little unhinged at the moment but I imagine they'll fix that upon the end of the season.

Jinx
11-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Mom and I discussed how bizarre and disjointed this season is so far. But they're in an insane asylum. The writers probably did that on purpose.

Also, I think they're Frankenstein monsters, not zombies.

Rantz
11-03-2012, 08:07 PM
This season has some freaky shit so far. Creeeeepy.

Shorty
11-03-2012, 08:13 PM
smurfing love Sister Mary Eunice. She is my absolute favorite and I love that she's playing Satan. I love what's going on with the demonic possession right under the noses of the nuns and these people who are supposed to be christians. The end of the most recent episode is severely smurfed up and I'm curious why Alder is so obsessed with purity. also smurfing raging cannibals or zombies or whatever the hell they are.

I think when you throw it all out on paper - aliens, demons, zombies - it all sounds absurd, but watching it is definitely doing it for me. I'm concerned about all three of these things becoming a little overwhelming as the series goes on but I am so intrigued and couldn't care less right now.

One thing I'm not so fond of is the "current date" scenes with the couple in the abandoned asylum, etc. I don't understand why those scenes are important.

I think this season is going to show up my love for the first. These guys seriously know how to do horror and each episode gets better than the last.

Depression Moon
11-15-2012, 05:06 AM
That was a good twist. The doctor that came over from wherever else was the actual serial killer that skinned his victims. It makes sense now considering how he was treating the boy, but it brings up another question. How the hell was he able to frame him and is the alien element still present There was still the robotic bug that crawled out his neck, which I think is proof enough.
I should've known that it would be too positive for the reporter to actually escape in a horror story. I was so immersed that I never thought about it I was just going with the flow. I was thinking the surgeon was the real serial killer.

drotato
11-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Okay, just missed the last episode, I forgot. So can someone summarize what just happened for me? ):

Shorty
11-17-2012, 08:29 PM
As soon as Zachary Quinto said "my story" when talking to the reporter, it fucking clicked to me that HE WAS THE REAL KILLER.

Didn't surpass last week's episode, but it was still a good one. I'm curious for what the devil has in store for the SS doctor.

drotato
11-19-2012, 05:05 AM
SHORTY THAT IS NOT A SUMMARY.

Clo
11-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Because of this show, I now need therapy. THIS SHIT IS CRAZY AS HELL.

My summary: ZACHARY QUINTO IS BLOODY FACE AND HE'S GONNA MAKE LANA MAKE OUT WITH HER DEAD GIRLFRIEND'S CORPSE AND HE HAS NIPPLE LAMPS AND KIT GOT ARRESTED AND JESSICA LANGE TOOK OFF HER HABIT AND HAD SEX WITH A DUDE AND DR. ARDEN IS A NAZI AND ALIENS TOOK OUT THAT ONE GIRL'S UTERUS AND WTF ALIENS?

McLovin'
11-20-2012, 12:41 AM
What is WITH these aliens? They honestly don't seem real. Maybe Kit is an alien baby left on Earth long ago and everyone he screws gets his alien seed and so his family comes to collect. You know, something that makes sense.

Can this devil bitch please do some more shit? What's the point of having fricken SATAN on the show if s/he/it is just chillin as a nun? Devil please.

Shorty
11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
oh shit, did they really take out her uterus? is that what that was?

drotato
11-21-2012, 05:19 AM
o . o

.... Holy fuck.

McLovin'
11-22-2012, 10:43 PM
What...did I just watch.

Clo
11-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Watching the new one today, I well let you all know about my mental-scarring afterward.

Shlup
11-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Whoa whoa whoa! I missed this uterus thing. We're not talking about the sandwich are we?

Clo
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Didn't the woman Kit was with at the asylum (I forget her name) get spayed by Sister Jude after doing the nasty?

Anyway, last night was very disturbing. Bloody Face's max legit bothers me. I don't know how Quinto wears it, that shit looks rancid.

Jinx
11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Clo, I don't think she got spayed. I think the aliens implanted a baby into her, like they did with Alma.

drotato
11-28-2012, 06:21 AM
OH GOD THERE'S GONNA BE ALIEN BABIES RUNNING AROUND EVERYWHERE, AND ZACHARY QUINTO IS NOW OFFICIALLY CREEPY FOR THAT WHOLE LACTATION THING... WHYYYYYY. WHY CAN'T HE BE A GOOD GUY, JUST ONCE. HE'S TOO HOT TO BE A SERIAL KILLER.

Jinx
11-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Dude, Zachary Quinto could drink collostrum from my breasts any day.

Just sayin'.

drotato
11-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Well, you are into some strange things. :smug:

Depression Moon
11-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Dude, Zachary Quinto could drink collostrum from my breasts any day.

Just sayin'.

Wait, you're actually a female

When that guy came into the asylum, he may have been innocent and sane, but he's definitely guilty and cray now. I loved this episode. It was very emotional.

drotato
11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Holy crap, this episode kind of pissed me off.
I don't know why I expected Lenna to get away so easily, but I did... So when she was put back in the asylum after the car crash, I was like "NOOO WTF WHYYYY ALL THAT TROUBLE UGGGGGGGGHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA."

And Grace.... Omg. No alien babies, I guess. Sigh... That was sort of exciting. ):

Clo
11-30-2012, 09:43 PM
That last episode kind of sucked. What's with with the Death bitch? So we have:

Serial killers
Aliens
Nazis
Evil scientists
Zombies
Demons
Angels
The fact that humans are NATURALLY terrible, what with that horrible aversive therapy scene

Depression Moon
12-01-2012, 04:02 AM
I don't recall seeing any ombies

McLovin'
12-01-2012, 05:09 AM
This episode really sucked. sister Jude's storyline is so goddamn boring. Im sick of watching it. Just die already. Least that'll be something interesting.

As for Lana...
>have the man who just kidnapped and raped you in a death grip and who killed your lover
>let him go.
Splendid writing. What is with this show and rape? These writers freaking love it.

and what the fuck is a "dark" angel? How that different from a normal angel. How does Kit escape a freaking POLICE STATION? Through the open window, that's how. WHY IS THIS SHOW SO CONVOLUTED ITS MAKING ME INSANE GODDAMNIT.

Shlup
12-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I liked this episode. :(

Jinx
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
croque monsieur

Just say grilled ham and cheese, dammit! Stop being so pretentious! That being said......

I really like the Angel of Death. A lot. I hope they explore that a lot more. However, I feel like the aliens have no place in this season. Angels, demons, and the insane....yeah, that works. Even serial killers....but ALIENS?! My mom wonders if maybe they aren't really something else, but I disagree.

When Grace died--the security guard is more caught up about Kit than the zombie creature with its guts on the floor. Wtf. Dude. Priorities.

I'm super interested to see where Jude's story goes. Since the little girl didn't die. Hm.

Shorty
12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
I also really liked the Angel of Death.

Really sad that Grace died. I hope they still show her, though - as a ghost? in Kit's dreams? something? I don't know. I don't think they'll just cut her out like that.

Clo
12-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Why do you guys like the Angel of Death? That damn thing tried to kill someone FOUR times in one episode. I was thinkin', "Too much."

Though "too much" is pretty much the tagline for AHS.

Rantz
12-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Ahahaha yesss. Still love it to bits!

Jinx
12-05-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm really interested where this season is going. And also since they blew their load, what they will do next season.

This season is interesting, but I liked last season better. I was really hoping for more realistic scary in this show. Obviously some supernatural, but I mean...they're in an ASYLUM. They didn't need to add everything they've added. Crazy like that is scary enough on its own. They could've maybe done angels and demons as well as insanity, and it would've been brilliant.

McLovin'
12-06-2012, 04:26 AM
Episode was meh but the last 5 or so minutes were pretty damn good. Kit and Lena ftw! Also fuck that creepy christmas music. It was just annoying.

Depression Moon
12-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Why do you guys like the Angel of Death? That damn thing tried to kill someone FOUR times in one episode. I was thinkin', "Too much."

She didn't try to kill anyone she just comes around when someone is approaching death.
Stuff is getting better. I was wondering when the devil would actually start to cause some havoc. That little girl has been left out of this episode and I'm sure she must be pretty messed up. The aliens kidnapped Grace's body/ Why? who knows...

Shorty
12-07-2012, 08:12 AM
I feel like the story is losing quality over time with these last couple episodes but I'm still interested. Too many hands in too many fucking pots with too many different directions it could go and too many questions left unanswered. You're not necessarily left with nail-biting, you're just kindof confused on where to turn next.

I like being on the edge of my seat but I'm finding this just sort of irritating. Should a story have to be this complicated? Do we need to wonder about fucking aliens and crazed cannibals and nazis?

Getting impatient here. This last episode was filler for a Christmas theme right before the holiday and no real progress was made. Could just be the mood I'm in but jesus christ, let's have some answers on where this thing is headed.

Jinx
12-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I haven't seen this week's episode, but I totally agree with Shorty. She better verbalized what I was trying to say before. And especially since FX does 13-episode seasons, we're halfway over. Progress really needs to start happening.

McLovin'
12-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I feel like the story is losing quality over time with these last couple episodes but I'm still interested. Too many hands in too many smurfing pots with too many different directions it could go and too many questions left unanswered. You're not necessarily left with nail-biting, you're just kindof confused on where to turn next.

I like being on the edge of my seat but I'm finding this just sort of irritating. Should a story have to be this complicated? Do we need to wonder about smurfing aliens and crazed cannibals and nazis?

Getting impatient here. This last episode was filler for a Christmas theme right before the holiday and no real progress was made. Could just be the mood I'm in but jesus christ, let's have some answers on where this thing is headed.

It's gonna be all about Love...and the characters. :D

Shorty
01-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Rantz and I are just now catching up with this show and it just fucking crossed over into Glee territory.

I am somewhat less than amused.

Clo
01-27-2013, 12:15 AM
AHHH.

It's over.

I was touched. :(:cry: