PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you FFT veterans out there

cat121212
10-18-2012, 04:38 AM
(Wow, I haven't posted here in a looong time! :cry:)

What is the best party build to get through the game smooth-sailing? (as possible!)
I lost my other save file (didn't get very far) and I definitely want to try and finish such an awesome game, but I'm not sure what kind of party I should use (any specifics, maybe?)

VeloZer0
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
The best part of the game is you are never really locked into anything. I don't really advocate trying to make a 'best party' of five people you will use for every battle (or at least until the end of the game that is). Variety is your friend, all sorts of different battles benefit different classes. I usually run with 4 physical and 4 magical characters. As a general rule you only want to make characters with a high faith into casters.

Gamblet
10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
I would advise you to keep an Oracle in your party for later on in the game because of the Drain spell, it really helps.

What you can use the drain spell for, I won't spoil. :lol:

Ninjas are pretty useful members as well because of the dual wielding. Combined with a right job, that class is a killing machine.

nirojan
10-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Here's a simple class guide:
Job Classes and Requirments

Single Class Jobs
Squire:N/A
Chemist:N/A
Knight:Lv.2 Squire
Archer:Lv.2 Squire
Monk:Lv.2 Knight
Priest:Lv.2 Chemist
Wizard:Lv.2 Chemist
Time Mage:Lv.2 Wizard
Summoner:Lv.2 Time Mage
Thief:Lv.2 Archer
Oracle:Lv.2 Priest
Meditator:Lv.2 Oracle
Geomencer:Lv.3 Monk
Lancer:Lv.3 Thief

Multi Class Jobs
Samurai:Lv.3 Knight, Lv.4 Monk, Lv.2 Lancer
Ninja:Lv.3 Archer, Lv.4 Thief, Lv.2 Geomencer
Calculator:Lv.4 Priest, Lv.4 Wizard, Lv.3 Time Mage, Lv.3 Oracle
Dancer:LV.4 Geomencer, Lv.4 Lancer(girl only)
Bard:Lv.4 Summoner, Lv.4 Meditator(guy only)
Mime:Lv.8 Squire, Lv.8 Chemist, Lv.4 Summoner, Lv.4 Meditator, Lv.4 Geomencer

Grind, grind, grind to get you characters to the class you want them to be :D Also EXPERIMENT! Some of those classes aren't very powerful, but have great unique abilities that might just come in handy ;)

Gamblet
10-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Grind, grind, grind to get you characters to the class you want them to be :D Also EXPERIMENT! Some of those classes aren't very powerful, but have great unique abilities that might just come in handy ;)

Words of gold. :lol:

Raistlin
10-23-2012, 12:05 AM
There is no "best party," though the story characters tend to be pretty powerful. I generally have slightly more physical fighters than magic users, and then just have fun from there. There are some classes you want to get to for certain abilities (e.g., Ninja for Two Swords, Bard for Move +3, etc.), but other than that I would just advise a variety.

Roogle
10-24-2012, 06:21 AM
If you are only playing through the storyline, you will want to consider using the characters that join your quest with special job classes. For example, Agrias with her Holy Knight job class will be more powerful than most generic units.

Gamblet
10-24-2012, 12:52 PM
If you are only playing through the storyline, you will want to consider using the characters that join your quest with special job classes. For example, Agrias with her Holy Knight job class will be more powerful than most generic units.

Oh yeah, don't take Orlandu unless you want to break the game. :lol:

Red Mage Coffman
11-01-2012, 04:16 PM
There is is not best party, only your party. Nevermind, that didn't sound wise at all. Seriously though, I think any party, no matter whats in the mix, can be a good one, especailly if we're talking about War of the Lions. The other two Tactics game as well, but War of the Lions has the most customization, or at least thats how I see it. Just build characters you like, and as someone else already said, experimentation is the key. As for the main story, which is the question you asked and was something I didn't bother to answer right off, don't grind. Leveling is one thing, but grinding, especially in this game, is another. Enemies grow with you, so sometimes high level characters at the start, isn't the best solution. Again, as someone had said above, use more story specific characters, as they aren't generic units and usually have more strength and special abilities that distinguishe them from the generics. So... I've restated everything that was posted above, pretty much. Have fun with my, err, everyones statements. Hope you can sweep through the game! :D Then again you could always just use the cheating method... but you don't wanna do that. Just in case you do though, I'd suggest looking it up. Makes that game a lot, how shall I say, easier. Good luck! :D

Gamblet
11-01-2012, 10:33 PM
As for the main story, which is the question you asked and was something I didn't bother to answer right off, don't grind.Leveling is one thing, but grinding, especially in this game, is another. Enemies grow with you, so sometimes high level characters at the start, isn't the best solution.

Only random encounters grow with you, main story characters have fixed levels. :p

VeloZer0
11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
In this game the skills you have equipped (and by extension have learned) play a way bigger role in the strength of your party than the levels you have.

Gamblet
11-02-2012, 12:01 AM
In this game the skills you have equipped (and by extension have learned) play a way bigger role in the strength of your party than the levels you have.

Well, usually when you grind abilities you also gain levels..

Madonna
11-02-2012, 02:51 AM
Grinding in this game is not recommended. A few extra battles to pay for currently available gear, yes, but extra battles to get ever closer to level ninety-nine, no. Monsters in random encounters level up with your characters, and without appropriate gear for your herculean squaddies, they will murder you. I am looking at you, chocobos, and at Barius Hill.

If you are looking to coast through easy street, you want to look into getting the Samurai, Mediator, and Oracle classes. The Samurai class can learn the reaction ability Blade Grasp, which allows you to nullify physical attacks based on your character's Bravery. The higher the Bravery, the better they are at stopping attacks. This gets ridiculous when you add a Mediator to the mix: with the Mediator's Praise ability, you can boost a character's Bravery by a few points in battle, and some of those points are retained afterward. You can raise a person's Bravery to the high nineties and then laugh in the face of most enemies. The Oracle, here, is the other half of the coin, because what about magic damage? Well, using the Oracle's ability Doubt Faith, you can lower your own characters' Faith to zero, which means magic deals less damage, and status-affecting spells are less likely to take hold. You can make any of your characters a magic-resistant, physical-evading prick, and to prevent counter attacks, you can give them a gun, bow, crossbow, lance, or staff.

Also, use the hell out of those game-breaking special characters, like Agrias and Orlandu.

cat121212
11-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the advice!
I just beat the game :kakapo: (though I found a few glitches, I'm not happy about that:(..)
It has to be in my top five for best FF! The story-line was amazing and the atmosphere of the world was very engrossing:love:

Roogle
11-06-2012, 12:57 AM
What kind of glitches? I thought the game was almost glitch-free and its downside was its translation on the Playstation.

cat121212
11-06-2012, 06:26 AM
The most annoying glitch has to do with magic. You know how you can cast magic like shell, protect, fire etc. and the tiles turn green indicating where the spell will be cast on the field? Well, 30%-40% of the time it'll be cast in a random spot near-by (it obviously doesn't hit anything in the end)
And a boss on the battle field once jumped over something that wasn't there..:confused:

Gamblet
11-06-2012, 02:12 PM
What? First time I hear anything like this....

VeloZer0
11-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Sure your units aren't wearing the Reflect armor? In this game reflect doesn't kick spells back at you but off in a 'random' direction. Otherwise I have never heard of what you are talking about.

What version/console are you playing on?

Raistlin
11-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I've also never heard of this magic glitch. Velo's explanation seems likely.

cat121212
11-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I know! I was searching around and I hadn't heard anyone complaining about this particular glitch either...(I'm playing WotL version)

I'll check to see if my characters are wearing Reflect armour, but I'm pretty sure I didn't put any on them :cry: I hope I can find a solution to this, since I really love playing the game (Just checked then, no one was wearing Reflect Armour...)

Raistlin
11-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Are you sure you didn't accidentally select the character standing on the square, instead of aiming at the squares themselves? If they move, then the spell obviously would move.

I can't think of any other explanation. I've mostly played the PS1 version, but I've also played WotL and never experienced or heard of this. If there is no gameplay explanation (such as Reflect armor or mistargeting), I can only assume it's a problem with your PSP or individual game.

cat121212
11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Hmm, I haven't been mistargeting...(I bought WotL from the PSN store for my PSVita, which is relatively new) Edit: I think I'll try deleting WotL off my console then re-downloading it to fix the problem

Greatermaximus
11-08-2012, 07:59 PM
You already beat the game but I'll mention what I do anyway.

I go another route. The Archer, Thief, Lancer Route. And Chemist as a second.

I'm usually a Thief with Steal / Item / Auto Potion / Maintenance / Ignore Height.

I keep Hi Potions to X-Potions equiping speed boosts like Green Beret with Agrias as a tank. It works pretty well although the battles take a little longer. I end up having lots of money/equipment in the end when I start a new game.

Otherwise I'd agree with the Samurai route.