PDA

View Full Version : JUST TAKE MY ADVICE GAAAHHHHH

Tigmafuzz
10-18-2012, 11:06 AM
I give advice to a lot of people pretty regularly and most people seem take my advice like the word of a sage. How often do people come to you for advice?

Do you give it to them?

Do they actually take it?

Also, venting thread. Share instances where you've tried to help someone (and you know you're giving good advice because it's a topic you either have much experience with and are knowledgeable in or it's something you've successfully helped many people with before) and they simply REFUSE to take your advice out of stubbornness or even just plain stupidity shortsightedness.

I was trying to help a friend get a guy interested in her, because she thinks he's cute and sees him a lot. She's told m about their previous conversations, so I know a lot about the guy. The problem is that not only does she seem to pay zero attention to what the things people are saying actually mean, she basically has no idea how to get him to think of her in a "more than a friend" way. So I tried to explain to her how to make things go a little smoother with him. Our conversation, verbatim:

Well, he already pretty much told you exactly what he likes when he was describing his exes and his friends. He seems to like girls a little thicker and has a thing for biker chicks and girls that seem like trouble, so stop eating nothing but vegetables and dye your hair dark red. Trust me, he'll pay more attention to you.

Uh no. I'm not going to become a completely different person and stop eating vegetables just to win the win the affection of some random guy I think is cute lol

Completely different person? Come on. First of all, your entire personality is not comprised of your appearance. Second, it's minimal effort to meet someone, compared to the trouble some other people have to go through. And third, how could eating healthier be a bad decision in any way? It's something you should do regardless. Women =P

I know right :P I don't mean my personality I just mean I don't want to have to be totally physically different to go out with him, and how is not eating vegetables healthy? lol

Vegetable aren't the only healthy food in the world lol. Besides, I didn't say stop eating vegetables entirely. I said stop eating "nothing but vegetables." You're not going to get a healthy weight by eating vegetables alone. And you aren't going to become "totally physically different," either. You know what changes physically in this case? Practically nothing. Aside from the hair, all I'm asking you to do is better yourself as a person overall. And the hair is a matter of personal taste anyway; just try it and you might actually like it. There's a social phenomenon I forget the name of, but basically it can be summed up with the phrase "dying your hair blonde can make you act dumber." Maybe seeing the way he acts around you when he's slightly more interested will make you react to BE more interesting. Trying new things isn't objectively bad. And if you aren't willing to step out of your comfort zone a little and drift into the deep end a tiny bit to reel him in, maybe you should just cut the line.

Aww more fishing metaphors :3 also you talk a lot.

And you're petty <3

I know :3

How could a person seriously recognize a problem (and even the causes of that problem) and not take steps to try and fix it? Or even consider doing something differently to change the situation? :freak:

Cuchulainn
10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Hsve to agree with Tifatits there. You should never advise people about anything ever again. Don't even back a van on to a busy road. People will die.

Parker
10-18-2012, 03:57 PM
There is a person who moans at me every day about the same old shit and I give her the same old advice and she just moans without trying anything and oh god I wish she would leave me alone.

I mean if you give someone advice and they decide to not even consider trying it then they should lose the right to complain about their shit lives to you.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-18-2012, 04:42 PM
(Lots of car related posts today. Same as everyday, I suppose.)

I had a gentleman recently, although this is a very common occurrence, who called me at work and spent around two hours discussing the pros and cons of purchasing a certain model of car. We work on that type of car a lot, so it was logical. During this two hours I was still working on other cars, and we all know what a pain in the ass it is to hold a phone by your shoulder so you can use both hands. So I was trying pretty hard to help this customer out.

He listened to most of my advice, but like most, missed two very key points.

He didn't have us look at the car first, to give an unbiased/knowledgeable opinion and he bought a car from the North East.

I warned him when he mentioned the car was from Maryland, that it was likely badly corroded. He insisted that it was garage kept and should be fine, but he would bring it by us anyway before he bought it to make sure.

Naturally, he bought the car without doing so, and now that it's here for work, I immediately observed the car is quite rusty underneath without even having to lift it up to look underneath it. I simply bent down and checked quickly. He could have done that.

The car interior and paint look great, so I'm sure he just jumped at it because it was pretty. Now when ever he gets brake work done, suspension work, etc. it will be extra costly because of all the bolts and parts that will break. Plus now that the rust has started, it will continue to spread even though it's not in that salty environment anymore. Eventually the car will no longer be driveable or need very expensive chassis refurbishing.

I would have looked at the car for free, but people love to impulse buy. I'll still get his business working on this car, so it doesn't hurt me, it's just a shame he wouldn't listen and got stuck with this. :monster:

Criminally Vulgar
10-18-2012, 04:54 PM
You'd be better off asking a stuffed Eeyore for advice than me. At least that won't make matters worse for you.

Jiro
10-19-2012, 01:06 AM
I give people advice all the time and they rarely listen. It's more of a case of I can say "I told you so" or make myself feel better that at least I tried. Don't expect people to listen to you, right or wrong.

krissy
10-19-2012, 01:49 AM
You'd be better off asking a stuffed Eeyore for advice than me. At least that won't make matters worse for you.

are you pretending to be eeyore right now

cause that's really good

~*~Celes~*~
10-19-2012, 02:21 AM
I've seen some that take my advice and some that don't. If they don't, that's their right, but I'm not a fan of watching people crash and burn when all they had to do was follow my advice >.>; There's really only one or two incidents where people haven't listened and it's gone badly, I don't give advice very often.

Freya
10-19-2012, 02:23 AM
I've given Kari LOADS of advice she's never taken so there's that ;)

But no really. I give a lot of advice because people always ask for it, they never heed it and then end up in all types of fucked up situations I get to say "told you so" a lot. (not that yours is fucked up kari xD just thought your post was optly timed)

Aulayna
10-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Not sure if the advice given in colour coded text in the first post is serious or not.

Psychotic
10-19-2012, 06:44 PM
I used to work as an advisor for the Citizens Advice Bureau and people would come to speak to me for advice... And some of them still wouldn't take it if I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear! :p

Sephex
10-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Am...am I the only one that sees Tigmafuzz's spoiler tagged text as 3D with the old school forum skin set up? I know why it's giving off that effect, but yeah.

G13
10-19-2012, 07:17 PM
:lol: Tig, you slay me.