PDA

View Full Version : I'm so exited, I just can't hide it

Jiro
10-20-2012, 01:21 AM
In yet another example of poor translation (c'mon people you can do better than this), Cait Sith pre-empts his own death by saying he's "exited" instead of "excited". Why he would've been excited in the first place, I'll never know. Perhaps he thought his "heroic sacrifice" would be impressive and win the team over (it worked). Cait Sith 2.0 didn't seem all that different though.

Jinx
10-20-2012, 01:27 AM
My favourite part was how Cait Sith asks you to "never forget him" or something like that, and then immediately after a new Cait Sith appears on the scene.

How did Cait Sith 2 get there so fast? And does Reeve just have all of the Cait Siths lying around in case one of them is destroyed? Why doesn't he just send a new Cait Sith every time he's KO'd in battle? Why am I supposed to mourn Cait Sith when Cait Sith 2 shows up right away, and is controlled by the exact same person?

Jiro
10-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Yeah I figure Reeve was way too prepared. Cait Sith 2.0 shouldn't have been there that soon. Making him an encounter shortly there after to return him to the party would've been much better. Also he briefly mentions that Cait Sith 2.0 won't be the same as him, but for all intents and purposes, he is. Some different quirks would've cemented him as a new (and better) character.

Flying Arrow
10-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Man, Cait Sith is just the worst fucking character.

Sephex
10-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I also have a problem because 2.0 appears in the middle of this pretty serious scene and it kind of took me out of it.

Futan
10-21-2012, 01:58 AM
Man, Cait Sith is just the worst smurfing character.

Ya rly. Honestly wish he stayed dead. :grumble:

Anyone else have to reread that like 3 times before they noticed? :x lol

silentenigma
10-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Why am I supposed to mourn Cait Sith when Cait Sith 2 shows up right away, and is controlled by the exact same person?

Cait Sith's "sacrifice" was handled that way very intentionally. They ham up his death, only to make the drama pointless by immediately bringing him back; this was done in order to contrast with Aeris only a couple of scenes later. It makes quite a statement I think.

Heath
11-24-2012, 08:32 AM
I like Cait Sith :(

I agree with what the others have said, I think that they deliberately made his death seem hammy because, let's face it, he's quite a goofy character anyway. And don't you pretend that your heart strings weren't being tugged at first time around, especially when the poor dear trips over ;_:

maybee
11-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Cait Sith's "sacrifice" was handled that way very intentionally. They ham up his death, only to make the drama pointless by immediately bringing him back; this was done in order to contrast with Aeris only a couple of scenes later. It makes quite a statement I think.

Agree. They did it to make Aerith's death have a bigger impact and more shocking towards the player. To give that " Oh, of course Aerith is going to be saved by Cloud " ! " Wait... did...she... just get stabbed ..." ?

MJN SEIFER
11-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Agree. They did it to make Aerith's death have a bigger impact and more shocking towards the player. To give that " Oh, of course Aerith is going to be saved by Cloud " ! " Wait... did...she... just get stabbed ..." ? Also, since he can predict the future to some extent, and Aeris is always present in that scene, and the emotion starts when he is asked to predict her future...

Who says he's really saying goodbye because of "his" death?

Innes
11-24-2012, 07:30 PM
I was watching a live speedrun of FF7 recently. They used Cait Sith's slots to one hit KO every boss. They managed to beat the game in about 8 hours or so. It was pretty good.

Jiro
11-25-2012, 12:47 PM
His death was pretty touching, the music selection is excellent tbh. Master stroke, with the right balance of comedy to take the edge off. It really is the fake to make Aeris's death blindside you.

Raistlin
11-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Why am I supposed to mourn Cait Sith when Cait Sith 2 shows up right away, and is controlled by the exact same person?

I agree, I thought Cait Sith's "death scene" was great. The end is supposed to be a big and disconcerting anti-climax that is amusing in hindsight, and it is. The fake out is all the more impactful with Aerith's death so soon afterwards.

But yes, Reeve was a bit too well prepared for it. :p

Bubba
11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Pretty much any scene involving Cait Sith I just switch off...

Did he die?

maybee
11-26-2012, 07:05 PM

Did he die?

No. He got in contact with ET and had strange alien babies with him. :greenie:

Cait Sith isn't that bad of a character, he can be cute at times. Sometimes I feel like the fandom is way too hard on the fellow. His limit breaks are basically Setzer's I mean c'mon, isn't that sort of cool ?

Plus later on he saves everybody in Junon and who doesn't like a cat and who doesn't like a Moogle ? He does have some good qualities about him. I think the fandom treats Cait Sith like he murdered Cloud's Mother. Way too tough on him.

Bubba
11-27-2012, 12:19 AM

Did he die?

No. He got in contact with ET and had strange alien babies with him. :greenie:

Cait Sith isn't that bad of a character, he can be cute at times. Sometimes I feel like the fandom is way too hard on the fellow. His limit breaks are basically Setzer's I mean c'mon, isn't that sort of cool ?

Plus later on he saves everybody in Junon and who doesn't like a cat and who doesn't like a Moogle ? He does have some good qualities about him. I think the fandom treats Cait Sith like he murdered Cloud's Mother. Way too tough on him.

Nah, he's still a knob.

Jiro
11-27-2012, 01:14 AM
I think the fandom treats Cait Sith like he murdered Cloud's Mother.

But Caith Sith is Reeve and Reeve is Shinra and Shinra created Sephiroth and Sephirtoh burnt down Nibelheim!!!!

maybee
11-27-2012, 07:19 AM

But Caith Sith is Reeve and Reeve is Shinra and Shinra created Sephiroth and Sephirtoh burnt down Nibelheim!!!!

Reeve is a nice guy, most of the things that were bad towards Avalanche he didn't want to happen and that was more of the Solider department than whatever Reeve did. Can't remember ? Some office job ?

Jiro
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I was only just messing about :aimsun:

Red Mage Coffman
11-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I have nothing to say. Well, except for one thing.

Anyone who mourned Cait Siths "Death"... Never mind. To mean to say :/ I didn't care for him though. He is, to this day, the dumbest character in the series.

maybee
11-28-2012, 06:03 AM
I was only just messing about :aimsun:

I know but I still believe that the fandom is way too hard on Cait Sith. Just a opinion. ;)

He back-stabbed you but Kain Highwind does that like every two seconds.
He abducted Marlene and Aerith's adoptive mum, but he apologizes and gains a friendship with them later on and is even the one that tells her about Aerith's dieing and is there to help her grieve.
He helps you escape Junon and Scarlet by showing you where the Highwind is.
He helps you during the Midgar Raid and tries to help Shrina and Rufus during it when Hojo goes completely cray cray.

Just sayin'.

In Advent Children he's annoying as fudge, but that movie doesn't exist. :tongue:

Anyone who mourned Cait Siths "Death"... Never mind. To mean to say :/ I didn't care for him though. He is, to this day, the dumbest character in the series.

Somebody who tries hardout for forgiveness and a second chance and begins to show a new light after the events of CD 1 is dumb ? If he was dumb he wouldn't of tried and just would of went home and pigged out on chocolate Ice- Cream while crying and watching re-runs of Coronation Street while crying "nobody likes me ". Cait Sith was brave and tried his hardest.

Jinx
11-28-2012, 07:02 AM
It's easy to be brave when you're just a remote control toy, and the neckbeard cintrolling you is at home cozy on his Shinra couch eating Cheetos and drinking Mt. Dew.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-28-2012, 05:06 PM
It's easy to be brave when you're just a remote control toy, and the neckbeard cintrolling you is at home cozy on his Shinra couch eating Cheetos and drinking Mt. Dew.

So is that directed at Reeve or the people playing the game :p

Jiro
11-29-2012, 12:55 AM

He was running the risk of being caught out by Shinra. Cait Sith might be doing the dangerous battling etc, but when you're fighting against the Shinra from Midgar all they need to do is sneak in and kill Reeve while he's...controlling Caith Sith (how the fuck does that work anyway?) and the threat is eliminated.

Roogle
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
In yet another example of poor translation (c'mon people you can do better than this), Cait Sith pre-empts his own death by saying he's "exited" instead of "excited". Why he would've been excited in the first place, I'll never know. Perhaps he thought his "heroic sacrifice" would be impressive and win the team over (it worked). Cait Sith 2.0 didn't seem all that different though.

What a shame that the localization contained this many errors and spelling mistakes. I think that, at the very least, a rerelease with proper dialogue and characterization would do the original game a world of good.

MJN SEIFER
12-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Reeve is a nice guy, most of the things that were bad towards Avalanche he didn't want to happen and that was more of the Solider department than whatever Reeve did. Can't remember ? Some office job ?

Something like "Urban Ledgends Department", I have no idea what it is.

Jiro
12-03-2012, 04:53 AM
Urban Development xD

Mercen-X
12-08-2012, 06:17 AM
He was running the risk of being caught out by Shinra. Cait Sith might be doing the dangerous battling etc, but when you're fighting against the Shinra from Midgar all they need to do is sneak in and kill Reeve while he's...controlling Caith Sith (how the fuck does that work anyway?) and the threat is eliminated.

v'Never considered that. I wonder if it's anything like Surrogates.

Bahamut2000X
12-08-2012, 03:39 PM

I agree, I thought Cait Sith's "death scene" was great. The end is supposed to be a big and disconcerting anti-climax that is amusing in hindsight, and it is. The fake out is all the more impactful with Aerith's death so soon afterwards.

But yes, Reeve was a bit too well prepared for it. :p

Ya the first time I played the game I liked Cait Sith because he was the more unique character in the game, and I was sad because I thought he seriously got killed off all the while thinking in the back of my head as a kid "Wait he's a robot, can't they make another one?", only to get faked out with the new one showing up so fast.

James_Cub
12-16-2012, 12:01 AM
I actually just witnessed that scene yesterday. I thought it was quite funny. To be honest, Cait Sith himself says on the way to the puzzlethingy "ooh, im going to save the world, bla bla bla, so it kind of makes me think that Cait Sith may actually have a soul of its own and its not just Reeve behind it.

Mercen-X
12-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Ya the first time I played the game I liked Cait Sith because he was the more unique character in the game, and I was sad because I thought he seriously got killed off all the while thinking in the back of my head as a kid "Wait he's a robot, can't they make another one?", only to get faked out with the new one showing up so fast.Does Cait Sith mention being a robot in or before the Temple?

Skyblade
12-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Ya the first time I played the game I liked Cait Sith because he was the more unique character in the game, and I was sad because I thought he seriously got killed off all the while thinking in the back of my head as a kid "Wait he's a robot, can't they make another one?", only to get faked out with the new one showing up so fast.Does Cait Sith mention being a robot in or before the Temple?

Yep. When he's revealed as a traitor, remember? The team tries to threaten him and stuff, and he's just like "dude, I'm chillin' back in the Shinra building controllin' this toy from there. Whatcha gonna do to me?".

Bubba
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
So at what point does Reeve get to perform his normal Shinra duties? Surely he can't do both?

Reeve's 6 month work review. He is sat across from his line manager.

Line Manager: "So Reeve, how do you think you have performed over the last six months?"
Reeve: "I think I've had an excellent half year."
LM: "Hmmm..."
R: "..."
LM: "We have received a few interesting reports from your co-workers"
R: "Oh... right. What kind of reports?"
LM: "Well for example, you spent your entire 8-hour shift yesterday with your eyes closed rocking back and forward."
R: "I did?"
LM: "During which time you came out with some questionable statements."
R: "Such as?"
LM: "Well... you were heard sayin 'It's amazing how often this damn moogle expels gas' and 'Oh my God... her boobs are awesome'"
R: "Oh..."
LM: "...and finally you said 'YEAH! LIMIT BREAK! Oh crap... I think I've just killed us.'"
R: "Right... so erm... is this gonna affect my bonus?"
LM: "Sadly yes."
R: "...in what way?"
LM: "In the way that... you won't get it."
R: "Damn..."