PDA

View Full Version : Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins. Oh My!

Laddy
10-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Let's talk about them.

I have a lot. On my mom's side they're mostly from around here. That's not a good thing. However, she has a sister from New York and some relatives from Chicago (her hometown) so that's cool.

On my dad's side they're mostly from Germany, France, or Boston. I haven't met many of them, but I like my aunt and my cousin. :monster:

So let's talk about extended family.

Shiny
10-21-2012, 11:09 PM
From my mom's side there's basically just a bunch of black people and like one Italian guy (my great grandfather) who no one remembers. Some Hispanics are married in. Most of them are in the East, but a few are in California and Virgina.

My dad's side gets more complicated. Our ancestors were Native American on his mother's side. They have a portrait of his great great great grandmother in which she looks Native American and shockingly looks exactly like my sister with very long flowing hair.

I had an aunt who passed whom I resembled a fair bit. We both had really light sensitive skin (for a black person) On my father's side they were African South Carolina slaves, so a lot of my dad's family is still in the South, but spread out to North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. That's where I get my slight southern accent from -- slips in every now and again from being around that side of the family.

Iceglow
10-22-2012, 12:40 AM
My mom was one of like 6 kids, her mom died when she was like 14 and my youngest aunt was only like 1 or 2 so she got put up for adoption because my mom and my grand-pa couldn't raise her between them. Because of this I think I've met my youngest auntie like 2 times ever and she's not close to the family, last time I remember seeing her was Grand-pa's funeral. My aunt lives in southern Spain now, as does one of my cousins. My Uncle no one likes lives in the midlands, my eldest uncle is dead and I've not heard anything bout my other uncle in years, no idea where he's at. I have 2 cousins that I know of living in the midlands too. I'm fairly certain that the creepy uncle no one likes has kids living there too. I also happen to have cousins out in Australia, I think they're related to me through the uncle that I've not heard about in years. My family ties aren't too strong it seems.

My dad had a brother, but in all honestly I wouldn't have a clue on that because no one heard from my dad's side of the family since he died back in '88. I don't know what the deal was there, I mean you'd think his family might have wanted to stay in touch with his two kids even if they didn't want to know my mom much. Still all told I'd rather just get on with life and not think about it, though I imagine that if I was to get married my side of the church/venue would be really just my friends rather than much in the sense of family. I mean, counting my sister and brother, their kids/partners and my mom, maybe my cousins/aunt/uncle you're looking at a total of like 24 people from a family I know to be closer to 60. Even then that's counting the showing up of every single one of my relatives who would get invited and their respective husbands/boyfriends/wives.

Raistlin
10-22-2012, 12:56 AM
I have a bunch of extended family because both of my parents have a ton of siblings, and thankfully most of them are pleasant and relatively normal. I have one wacky cousin on my mother's side who's a self-absorbed jackass and a bit deranged, but no one ever talks to him anyway. Oh, and my grandfather is a birther, but I just avoid political topics and we're fine.

I have a zillion younger cousins that I saw a lot of when they were very young, but they're almost all grown up now and thinking about it makes me feel old.

~*~Celes~*~
10-22-2012, 01:39 AM
i have plenty of cousins, but none of them are close to my. My dad's half sister had relations with a married man and as a result, my cousin was born. My dad's older brother had 2 girls and 2 boys, both girls are thieves/prostitutes and are abused by their baby daddies. One son of his has asperger's and the other has ADHD. My dad's half brother through his dad has a 17 year old emotastic daughter who's married to a guy in the army and just had a baby girl. My dad's half brother through his mom is in and out of jail all the time, married to some girl with 3 kids none of which are his and he has a son with some crackhead who sleeps around, his son got taken away by a relative and no one has heard about him, he's about 4 now.

On my mom's side, she's an only child but she has many cousins, and I don't know any of them very well. I'm really not that close to my family.

However, Andrew's mom has 11 siblings and his dad has 4 siblings. Andrew himself has a half sister, a half brother, a full blooded sister and a full blooded brother. Each of his siblings has two kids. I have three brothers and two sisters, I'm the first to have gotten married and have a baby.

Lonely Paper Star
10-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Both my parents are from the Philippines, but from different areas. My mom's family spoke a different dialect growing up, but of course, also learned Tagalog and English. They were pretty well off, because their grandfather was in the military and getting US money = wealth. As kids, they lived in the large "main house," which is now vacant and needed to (according to my mom) be demolished and rebuilt.

My mom is the oldest with seven siblings. Half of them are still in the Philippines, but her closest sister (second oldest sister and fourth in the whole lineup) resides in California. Her two youngest brothers, I believe, are in the Middle East or something. My mom's father died around two years ago, so I only have a grandmother now. I met all of them when I visited the Philippines, but it was only once and I was fourteen. D: I don't know how many first cousins I have anymore. A lot, I guess, one of which is the daughter of my mom's sister in California. I do know that one of the cousins in the Philippines has a spoiled seven-year-old daughter, so I'm an aunt.

My dad's side grew up poor, and didn't grow up with another dialect; just Tagalog. There are four of them. My dad is the second oldest. His older brother lived in Chicago for a while, had two sons, and then moved to Florida to retire. The third in the lineup is my favorite aunt. Lol. She married this American guy (not my favorite person, but... he's family -_-). They never had kids, but instead kept dogs. They have two right now, who "call" me their cousin. XD .. The youngest brother lives alone in California, currently hospitalized due to a stroke. My dad's parents both died when I was six or seven. Never got to knew them too well.

Agent Proto
10-22-2012, 01:55 AM
I have a big family of relatives, mostly from my mom's side of the family, considering she was in a big family herself. Most of my cousins are either my age, or older, and a couple are younger. Quite a handful live in the US, and the others live in the Philippines. I know that one of my cousin has a daughter, and she's apparently old enough to use Facebook. She has me friended. :|

My dad, doesn't have a big a family as my mom, and most of my relatives from his side of the family live on the West Coast, so I hardly ever got to know them. Both his brothers died in their 30s, and he has since joined them 8 years ago. :/

Criminally Vulgar
10-22-2012, 04:44 PM
I remember my mother putting the phone down after a joyous and long conversation with her sister-in-law, mumbling 'frizzy haired bitch' into the receiver after hanging up and going into a tirade about how much she hates her. In fact, my childhood was mostly consisted of watching family antipathy happen through keyholes. It's really instilled a hatred for commitment into me.

They're alright I suppose.

Shorty
10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
I have a huge extended family with tens of dozens of people I've never met before. The majority of them all are in Utah but some have branched out to Nevada and southern California over the years. I don't think that there's many of us in the east, or if there are, I have no idea where they are. My mother's side is mostly Italian with a mix of Cherokee and German and my dad's side is primarily Scottish and some other mix of something I don't really know of.

I really have nothing else to say other than coming from a mormon family, I have an army of family members.

Araciel
10-22-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't talk about my uncle since that time in the coatroom at the Christmas party...

Faris
10-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Dad has three brothers, one we do not speak to and the other passed away, they each had 2 kids (one adopted). On this side of the family my oldest cousin is 20 years older and the youngest after me is about 15 years older than I am Of 6 we do not speak to 3 of them. Most of their kids are closer to my age than they are :freak:

My parents totally ruined things for my oldest cousin. For the longest time she was the only granddaughter and was spoiled by grandma... until I came along :radred: but I don't talk to my grandmother anymore anyway.

Mom has a brother and sister each with two kids. Again the oldest is about 20 years older than I am and the one closest to my age is 7 years older. It's a lot easier to connect with my cousins on this side of the family because they are closer in age unlike the other branch where some treat me like a child. My aunt's kids have both moved away, one to Ireland and the other to New Jersey so I never see them.

Clo
10-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I have family members flowing in through my windows and they're all alcoholic schizo fuddy duddies and who get drunk and dance and judge people.

Quindiana Jones
10-22-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm only going to talk about direct relatives, because otherwise this'll be ridiculous.

I have two surviving uncles and two surviving aunts. One of this pair have two daughters. That concludes my list of immediate relatives. xD

Jiro
10-23-2012, 04:24 AM
I got a medium sized family.