PDA

View Full Version : Amarant or Quina?

RPGamer
10-21-2012, 10:21 PM
I need help deciding on a party for this game. I already made up my mind that I definitely want Garnet and Eiko in my party since I like to summon and they both have very powerful trances. So that just leaves the last party member, which I would like to be either Amarant or Quina. Amarant could be useful because he can revive people and restore MP, and Quina could be useful due to his/her various blue magic. If you had to choose between the two, who would you pick and why? Thanks for any opinions.

Laddy
10-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Both fill a variety of roles and help create a versatile and balanced party. If you're going to have two healers, I suggest Amarant as he can absorb quite a bit of damage and has a variety of heavy-damage attack opportunities. Also, he has a relatively high speed.

Quina, on the other hand, is better for more damage-based parties. I usually go with Zidane-Vivi-Freya-Quina, as Quina has such a huge variety of skill sets. Quna is also a better healer an above-average attacker, but her(?) lack of hit points can create a more fragile party.

In short, both are good choices but Amarant is better in your particular formation, imo.

Jinx
10-22-2012, 12:34 AM
None, they're both shit. I hate both of these characters.

Seriously, though, Amarant. Garnet has her summons, but isn't a huge damage dealer. Eiko is a healer, and except for Holy and Madeen, doesn't really do great damage. Really, she should be utilized for White Magic only, basically. I'm assuming Zidane is your third member. He does some great damage (although Steiner does better.)

To keep your party balanced, I'd say Amarant, because he can take a lot of damage, and he can DEAL a lot of damage. His throw ability with weapons (and at this point you should have tons and tons of gil, so you can go and buy a ton of high-power weapons) is devastating.

Quina is a good healer, and CAN Do good damage. But you have to spend hours getting his Blue Magic, or catching frogs. Quina is extremely weak, even with good weapons. He is even more susceptible to being hit, no matter how high of armor you have on. Because you're going with two casters who have low defenses, I'd advises against choosing Quina, as your party could go down quickly.

Hope this helps! :)

Quindiana Jones
10-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Any party without Steiner is a party without soul*.

Seriousness aside, Amarant is your man. Does great damage, takes great damage, has amazing hair. Level him up and you'll survive on nothing but No Mercy. Also, unless you are grossly negligent/incompetent, he will literally never die.

*And also without pure, overwhelming, stifling badassery.

maybee
10-22-2012, 04:09 AM
Quina. Though he takes alot of work and effort to collect all the Blue Magic spells but it's worth it in the end. Quina can be a huge game-breaker.

Chris
10-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I'd pick Quina, too. Sure, it takes a little effort to get her to "work", but I think it's fun to use Quina. Acquiring blue Magic skills in this game is deliciously fun. :D

Amarant is useable, but a bit boring.

Formalhaut
10-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Not to mention completely useless story wise.

Jinx
10-23-2012, 07:24 PM

So is Quina.

Formalhaut
10-23-2012, 08:11 PM

So is Quina.

But Quina has that comedy relief factor about him/her. Amarant is just all moody.

Levian
10-23-2012, 08:38 PM
If you can get over the fact that his hair looks like spaghetti bolognese, then i guess amarant.

amarant is quicker and easier to skillup while quina takes longer to master. depends how much time you want to invest in battling. not really any point in grinding so much in this game.

Ouch!
10-24-2012, 05:15 AM
If you're not running a party with Zidane, Freya, Steiner, and Quina with Thievery, Dragon Crest, Shock, and Frog Drop maxed out for four instant 9,999 damage attacks, you're not doing it right.

Quindiana Jones
10-24-2012, 06:13 AM
I often ran with Zidane, Steiner, Freya and Amarant for instant 9,999 attacks. Is that acceptable? :blush:

I resent the suggestion that Amarant had nothing to do with the story. While they clearly weren't able to flesh him out as much as they wanted, Amarant actually has a history with Zidane, and we witness some character development. Quina is a brilliant character, but s/he had much less relevance to the plot than Amarant.

Marky Tee
10-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I often ran with Zidane, Steiner, Freya and Amarant for instant 9,999 attacks. Is that acceptable? :blush:

I resent the suggestion that Amarant had nothing to do with the story. While they clearly weren't able to flesh him out as much as they wanted, Amarant actually has a history with Zidane, and we witness some character development. Quina is a brilliant character, but s/he had much less relevance to the plot than Amarant.

this is the optimal party right here

they deal the most damage and you don't even need a healer in this game
just equip auto-heal and auto-haste and it's taken care of for you
you can also add in auto-potion if you're a bit nervous but it's not necessary

Quindiana Jones
10-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Nah, I don't bother with them. I just have Amarant do all the healing. :D

Flaming Ice
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
hmm..they were named after grains?

Laddy
10-25-2012, 07:12 PM
The Zidane-Freya-Steiner-Quina party is great, but I usually subsitute Steiner for Vivi.

Heath
10-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Normally if you were asking me to pick between those two characters, I'd say Quina as I never really found a use for Amarant. However with that particular squad, I'd go with Amarant. You should have your magic attacks covered between Garnet and Eiko, so you'll want to more offensive attacks from Amarant.

Though I agree with Quin that if you're playing without Steiner, you might as not bother playing at all!

Depression Moon
10-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Optimally Amarant, personally Quina.

Rodney
10-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Depends. If you want an easy run, then I'd say Amarant. He has easier-to-master monk skills. If you want a bit of a challenge, then I'd say Quina. His blue magic is harder to accumulate, but as has been said, it's worth it if you can manage to do it. His Frog Drop, Twister, and Earth Shake can especially be deadly.

CimminyCricket
10-29-2012, 01:31 AM
I picked Amarant, but that was my first and last play through a few years ago. I'm getting ready to beat FFVI so I can start a new play through on IX, so my opinion may change. I doubt it though, he's stupid strong.

Gorski
11-20-2012, 10:16 AM
well for this i would say that amarant is quicker and easier to skillup while quina takes longer to master. so amarant would be the most appropriate one to select here

Zeiferxx
05-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Amarant is stronger and more useful than Quina. My favourite party is Zidane, Garnet, Vivi and Steiner. Zidane - attack, Garnet - heal, summon , Vivi - black magic, Steiner - attack, magic sword. For me this is the most useful party.