PDA

View Full Version : Life of Pi

Jinx
10-22-2012, 02:25 AM
I just saw previews for this. Apparently they've made it into a movie.

How do you feel about this? I only read the book once. I tried to read it again, but it's one of those books that has the best impact on its first read-through. I thought it was brilliant, beautiful, and sad.

I personally don't think I'm so fond that they're making it into a movie. I might see it, I might not. But I hate book to movie adaptions, and it's such a QUIET book. I wonder how they'll make an hour of a boy sitting in a boat dying of dehydration interesting.

Thoughts?

Rye
10-22-2012, 04:28 AM
I like that the trailer is just an entirely unexplained scene from the novel, rather than one of those super action thriller trailers that spoil everything in one minute flat.

I'm genuinely curious about this film and I actually have pretty high hopes about it, unlike most film adaptations of novels.

Miriel
10-22-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm so excited!

It'll be interesting how they go about adapting this as a movie. I feel like so much of the book is internal, and so I don't know how that will translate. But still, excited!

charliepanayi
10-22-2012, 09:13 AM
I loved the book, and have always been baffled why most people I know who have read it hated it. I'm not sure if it's the sort of book that you can successfully adapt into a film and that makes me wary, but it is an Ang Lee film (and he's fantastic), plus early reviews have been very positive. So if that positive buzz continues I may well go and see it.

Del Murder
10-23-2012, 03:32 AM
I'll watch it out of curiosity alone, unless the reviews are horrible.

MTKO
10-26-2012, 05:41 AM
I really enjoyed the book. I hope they don't ruin the overall themes that the book conveyed though by turning it into some type of survival drama.

charliepanayi
10-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Can't see Ang Lee doing that, he's always been great at the understated (let's ignore Hulk).

Faris
10-26-2012, 05:32 PM
I'll watch it out of curiosity alone, unless the reviews are horrible.

Had to read the book in high school and it was interesting enough to get me to read part 2 and no other part :/

Heath
10-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I think one thing I wouldn't think would lend the book to being made into a film is the final scene of the book. The reader is given two possible interpretations of the events of the novel and asked to choose which to believe. I can't help but think that a film would either ruin that choice or remove it altogether.

Life of Pi is one of those novels I meant to read for years and only read relatively recently. It's a great book, and a real page turner. I'll certainly monitor the development of the film, and try to refrain from passing judgement until I see the film. How successfully I do that is another matter!