PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Laddy
10-24-2012, 08:23 AM
State unpopular opinions you have.

This console generation has been very weak.
Bioware is incredibly overrated. Obsidian is better.
"Gritty and realistic" FPS's get a pass too much.
Indie games are too simplistic.
Storyrtelling and stories themselves have declined in quality.
The PC is the best system this generation.
Fallout: NV is the best WRPG of this generation. Fallout 3 is merely above average, while Mass Effect, Drago Age, Skyrim, and Oblivion are sub-par.
Persona is the best RPG series this generation despite being on PS2.
The overall mindset, trends, and zeitgeist of the gaming industry and culture has made me very, very cynical about the medium's future.

NeoCracker
10-24-2012, 08:33 AM
1) Skyrim, while being the best of the Elder Scrolls, is still kind of a sub par game.
2) I also think New Vegas is the best WRPG. (Though the last expansion can eat a dick.)
3) Fuck Xenogears.
4) I don't think FF XIII is the end of FF. (Really we've only had 4/13 main entries that have sucked. I think they still have enough talent to make a good FF again.)
5) PC gaming has never been as good as consoles since the SNES.
6) Fuck Assassins creed.
7) Bioshock is boring to play. (Story is good though. Gameplay is terribly Generic.)

Quindiana Jones
10-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Some of those opinions aren't unpopular, but are outright wrong. ;)

Bioware used to be worth their hype. They are currently pretty shit, however. Claiming that ME1 and DA:O are sub-par is ludicrous, you crazy, crazy Corgi. Obsidian are wonderful, though.

I don't like the recent Batman games. I couldn't finish Arkham Asylum, simply because I didn't enjoy it. It had many merits, but overall I found it boring.

Fynn
10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
I find the Last Story to be average.
I also think the Wii has the most satisfying gaming library this generation.

Laddy
10-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Bioware used to be worth their hype. They are currently pretty trout, however. Claiming that ME1 and DA:O are sub-par is ludicrous, you crazy, crazy Corgi. Obsidian are wonderful, though.
Depends how we're comparing them. DA:O and ME1 are probably good games on their own. But goddamn it, I hate how they've taken the Black Isle-type of WRPG and kinda made it...worse. I know my reasons for not liking those two games are petty and maybe even pretentious (which I am with games in general I'd admit), but for a company that cites Baldur's Gate and KOTOR as its best titles, they sure do rely on relatively formulaic characters and mechanics.

Now I admit it's been a while since I've played both series and I've played a relatively small amount of both games to be a credible source for a more objective analysis, but when these "masters of RPG's" can't invoke emotion in me, keep me immersed or even interested, then there's a problem. I know; my standards are likely far too high. I secretly wish for another Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment to be made, but for now none of these "epic RPG sagas" seem all that epic, original, or enjoyable. I think hype is partly to blame for that, though.

I Took the Red Pill
10-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I really disliked Dead Space.

Pike
10-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Skyrim is better than Oblivion. (But neither is as good as Morrowind.)

World of Warcraft is currently the best it's ever been. Also Blizzard has never made a bad game, possibly excepting Diablo 3.

The original Halo was a great game.

Bioware hasn't been good in years.

FF9 and FF12 are both overrated :monster:

maybee
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I prefer the cartoony esque Zelda games like Wind than the more realistic Zelda games like Princess.

I don't like Yuna from Final Fantasy X

I prefer Sonic over Mario though Mario and Luigi are extremely cute.

Halo sucks and is overrated

World of Warcraft sucks and is overrated.

The Earthbound or rather Mother games are boring and too depressing...

The FF VII remake is not needed and FF VII should be left alone.

Dr Robotnik sounds ten times better than Dr Eggman and they should change it back when translating Sonic to the West for the Western fans.

Lara Croft is not the hottest female. Samus in that blue suit is more sexier. Well speaking from a female point of view.

Radien from the Metal Gear Solid games got picked on way too much for not being the stereotypical manly man.

Final Fantasy VI is ten million times better than Final Fantasy VII

Cloud and Sephiroth suck and are extremely overated.

Locke Cole is the best Final Fantasy male ever made, Setzer comes second.

Final Fantasy XIII is okay and is better than Final Fantasy XII

Would you kindly agree with me ? :jess:

Slothy
10-24-2012, 01:04 PM
1) Skyrim, while being the best of the Elder Scrolls, is still kind of a sub par game.
5) PC gaming has never been as good as consoles since the SNES.
7) Bioshock is boring to play. (Story is good though. Gameplay is terribly Generic.)

I don't like Yuna from Final Fantasy X

Dr Robotnik sounds ten times better than Dr Eggman and they should change it back when translating Sonic to the West for the Western fans.

Lara Croft is not the hottest female. Samus in that blue suit is more sexier. Well speaking from a female point of view.

The topic is unpopular opinions. Stop being so bad at this.

Final Fantasy XIII is okay and is better than Final Fantasy XII

That's (marginally) better.

As for some of mine:
- Resident Evil 4 is a terrible game.
- BioWare has never been able to write a game story that wasn't mind bogglingly boring, cliched and predictable.
- Related to the above, Knights of the Old Republic was pretty terrible.
- Speaking of terrible writing: Bethesda. Do I need to say more?
- Ocarina of Time isn't even the best Zelda game, let alone one of the best games ever.

EDIT: Thought of another:
- Rare made three legitimately amazing games; Blast Corps., Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Maybe four if you count the delightfully frustrating and broken Battletoads. Jet Force Gemini might qualify as well but I never played it. Please note though, how none of these contain the words Donkey, Kong, Banjo, or Fox in the title.

Maybe I'll come up with some more later.

Skyblade
10-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Handhelds currently have far better releases and lineups than consoles do.

Fynn
10-24-2012, 01:49 PM

THIS! I love you, Skyblade :love:

blackmage_nuke
10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Phoenix Wright would be better without Maya
Kingdom Hearts would be better without Donald and Goofy

Madame Adequate
10-24-2012, 05:33 PM
There is not one single good entry in the Zelda series

Pike
10-24-2012, 05:34 PM
The topic is unpopular opinions. Stop being so bad at this.

Everything I said is unpopular within my normal circles!

Lonely Paper Star
10-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Sephiroth is overrated by a lot.

That's about all I can think of for now. :eep:

Jowy
10-24-2012, 05:41 PM

link's awakening! :aimcry:

Shorty
10-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Cass is the best sidekick in New Vegas and would win in a fight versus Veronica (but probably not Boone and I accept this but Cass is still better).
Tomb Raider has only gone downhill since the third game.
PlayStation is the superior of modern consoles.
Civ is terribly confusing and I hate it.

Flaming Ice
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM

No fly spell =/

Slothy
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Everything I said is unpopular within my normal circles!

Are your normal circles actually ovals?

Flaming Ice
10-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Lots of rpgs :)

Madame Adequate
10-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Is one of the worst ones, all the top-down ones are pure shit, the 3D ones are merely bad.

Civ is terribly confusing and I hate it.

Well you certainly win for unpopular and demonstrably wrong opinions!

Shorty
10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Thought you might like that :aimkiss:

Sephex
10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
The Navi equivalent in Skyward Sword wasn't that big of a deal. I just ignored the short text. Navi herself was even less of a big deal. There are other games that have something interrupt far more often that I never hear people complain about, yet everyone jumps on the Zelda games for that.

Flaming Ice
10-24-2012, 06:13 PM
And FPS shooters can be boring;you try to run in and shoot everyone you die. You have to duck and hide so much......

Edge7
10-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Radien from the Metal Gear Solid games got picked on way too much for not being the stereotypical manly man.

I find this statement extremely ironic.

So I raise you; since Metal Gear Solid 4, I find Raiden as overrated as Cloud and Sephiroth, mainly because Raiden is every bit as angsty and mopey as Cloud is in Advent Children. (I always found Sephiroth overrated).

This is coming from someone who loved both Cloud and Raiden in their original games.

(Oddly enough, I agreed with about 70% of everything else you said.

Slothy
10-24-2012, 06:31 PM

Is one of the worst ones, all the top-down ones are pure trout, the 3D ones are merely bad.

I would love to dissect your brain to see if there is some sort of clot or structural defect which could explain how you can be so unbelievably wrong.

But no, seriously, I would love to see your rationalization of this belief. My mind is absolutely boggled by the assertion that the 3D Zelda's are better than the 2D ones to say nothing of hating them all to begin with. I have to wonder if you're slightly aphasic and are simply using the wrong words.

So I raise you; since Metal Gear Solid 4, I find Raiden as overrated as Cloud and Sephiroth, mainly because Raiden is every bit as angsty and mopey as Cloud is in Advent Children.

In fairness to Raiden, I'd probably be kind of angsty and mopey after having my body removed and replaced with a cyborg body, and having my girlfriend leave me in the middle of all of this so she can marry a dude who could be her grandpa.

But I figure I'd get over it after a few minutes or so when it sinks in that I'm now a badass cyborg ninja.

Edge7
10-24-2012, 06:38 PM
All I'm saying is that I liked Cloud and Raiden more when they were dorks.

Lonely Paper Star
10-24-2012, 06:59 PM
All I'm saying is that I liked Cloud and Raiden more when they were dorks.

Agreed on Cloud. I prefer "Let's mosey!" Cloud to "I want to be forgiven" Cloud by a lot.

Also, for lulz,

Bunny
10-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Final Fantasy VIII is better than Final Fantasy VII.
Final Fantasy VII was mediocre at best.
Every Legend of Zelda game after ATTP is mediocre.
Suikoden IV was a pretty good game.
360, PS3, and Wii have all led to the subpar nature of console gaming today by focusing less on gaming and more on social media connections.

Roogle
10-24-2012, 07:43 PM
I like the LUNAR series a lot. In fact, I would go to say that those two games are my favorite games. I think those two games, even with their cliches, are better than any Final Fantasy game.

My favorite Zelda game is Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Big D
10-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Team Fortress 2 is unbelievably dull. I'm glad I uninstalled it, along with its many millions of pointless hats.

The original Killzone is a solid and engaging game. Despite its bugs, it's superior to its sequels due to its characters, writing and diverse environments.

Quindiana Jones
10-24-2012, 08:05 PM
FFVI, while great, is not deserving of much of the praise it gets.

Also, Pike is a shitbag who deserves to be destroyed. I damn near warned your post, woman. :mad2:

Pete for President
10-24-2012, 08:34 PM
I find every Rockstar game since Vice City terrible because of the ridiculous one-man-army-but-we-will-hold-your-hand-the-whole-time gameplay. Red Dead takes the cake in this, garbage.

Japan is still more progressive in game design than Western developers are.

Gaming is all about evoking emotion made possible by interacting with the environment. A lot of AAA titles fail to be games because they restrict or guide the interaction part too much.

The Uncharted series is ridiculously guilty of this and are therefore I find them really titty games and won't play them even if I'd get paid to do so.

Jinx
10-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Shadow of the Colossus is a completely shit game.

Formalhaut
10-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Wait, that's not unpopular, that's practically fact!

Shattered Dreamer
10-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Playing games like Dark Souls, that are designed to be unforgivingly difficult for the sake of it isn't my idea of fun.

I don't understand how the FPS genre became so popular because whether you're playing COD, BF, Medal Of Honor or whatever it's all the same.

Shiny
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I thought BioShock was boring to play too, but I did really like the story.

I find every Rockstar game since Vice City terrible because of the ridiculous one-man-army-but-we-will-hold-your-hand-the-whole-time gameplay. Red Dead takes the cake in this, garbage.

Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game and proves that main character doesn't have invincibility. He also certainly isn't a one man army. You can't just run out and try shooting everything or you'll get killed pretty fast. Ducking and covering is a must if you're not partnered up with someone.

Jowy
10-24-2012, 10:09 PM
- I liked Mass Effect 2 more than the first one.
- World of Warcraft reached its peak during Ulduar.
- Dragon Quest VIII is the last quality game released by Square-Enix.

Heath
10-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Perfect Dark was better than Goldeneye, and the former deserves as much praise as the latter.

Madame Adequate
10-24-2012, 10:21 PM
I would love to dissect your brain to see if there is some sort of clot or structural defect which could explain how you can be so unbelievably wrong.

But no, seriously, I would love to see your rationalization of this belief. My mind is absolutely boggled by the assertion that the 3D Zelda's are better than the 2D ones to say nothing of hating them all to begin with. I have to wonder if you're slightly aphasic and are simply using the wrong words.

They're boring and not fun. It's not like I dislike the genre, Alundra is an amazing game and I still love it today. The 3D ones are better because there is actually SOME fun to be had with them. Actually Wind Waker is almost good!

Shadow of the Colossus is a completely shit game.

Get. Out.

Pete for President
10-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game and proves that main character doesn't have invincibility. He also certainly isn't a one man army. You can't just run out and try shooting everything or you'll get killed pretty fast. Ducking and covering is a must if you're not partnered up with someone.

The cover system doesn't change the fact that the majority of the missions involves single handedly killing an amount of goons in greater numbers than the population of the entire settlement you're "protecting". It's all about subtlety. The first time you try out that shiny revolver on some goon's head it might be fun, but it loses it's mojo real quick when a game throws a 100 more of the same mindless apes at you in the same mission. And another 100 the next.

escobert
10-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Since just about every opinion I have on everything is unpopular we'll just go with
GW/GW2> WoW
Consoles suck
Call of Duty is for noobs

World of Warcraft is currently the best it's ever been. Also Blizzard has never made a bad game, possibly excepting Diablo 3.

Bah! Blizzard hasn't made a good game since D2!
Halo will forever live in the shadow of Marathon.
bioware still makes games? Could have fooled me!
FFVII and tactics are the only worthwhile FFs anyways :p

Bolivar
10-24-2012, 11:56 PM

Ok, cool, sounds like fun!

"Gritty and realistic" FPS's get a pass too much.
Storyrtelling and stories themselves have declined in quality.
The overall mindset, trends, and zeitgeist of the gaming industry and culture has made me very, very cynical about the medium's future.

:shifty:

Have you read the comments section of any newspost from a major gaming site in the last five years?

Here we go:

The modern First Person Shooter is easier to control and more fun to play on console than it is on PC.
The PlayStation Portable has a better library than any handheld Nintendo has ever made.
Hironobu Sakaguchi was correct when he said that Final Fantasy VI was a puppet show compared to Final Fantasy VII.
Digital Distribution is unfeasible as an exclusively sustainable business model.
The Call of Duty series has done more to move gaming forward culturally than any other series this generation.
Halo's poor imitation of Tribes and Unreal was the bottom of the shooter barrel in 2001, but its confused clinging to bullet-sponge mechanics and unintuitive controls have kept it falling further and further behind as the shooter genre continues to evolve with an array of superior titles ever year.

Laddy
10-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Have you read the comments section of any newspost from a major gaming site in the last five years?
Pretty much. Gaming journalism is, for the most part, one huge inexcusably bad hype machine so I rarely visit them anymore.

Skyblade
10-25-2012, 12:30 AM
The PlayStation Portable has a better library than any handheld Nintendo has ever made.

Please justify this. Specifically, comparing it to the library of the GBA (all Gameboy and GBA games) and the DS (all GBA and DS games).

Madame Adequate
10-25-2012, 01:31 AM

Please justify this. Specifically, comparing it to the library of the GBA (all Gameboy and GBA games) and the DS (all GBA and DS games).

Bolivar: "It's Sony! What else could you need to hear?"

Pike
10-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Alright WoW stuff: Ulduar is pretty nice but Karazhan and Naxx were better and ToC had the more interesting boss mechanics (yes I said it, come at me bro)

Gnomer is a great instance. Oculus is fun. MoP dailies are great.

Wailing Caverns and Sunken Temple are terrible and Blizz can just remove them now and they will not be missed.

Non-WoW stuff:

The original LoZ is the best 2D Zelda. Overall the 3D ones were better (although they peaked early on with OoT/MM). Zelda isn't really an omg SUPER GROUNDBREAKING series to me but is enjoyable enough if played for what they are, which is running around with a sword and a boomerang and stuff.

3rd gen Pokemon was GREAT. It was also the last Pokemon game I played, though. 2nd gen is the best.

Vaporeon is the best Eevee evolution.

maybee
10-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Shadow of the Colossus is a completely trout game.

This

FFVI, while great, is not deserving of much of the praise it gets.

* shakes head in shame *

Madame Adequate
10-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Shadow of the Colossus is a completely trout game.

This

* shakes head in shame *

You SHOULD be ashamed :mad2:

Slothy
10-25-2012, 02:11 AM
I don't think any thread has left me wanting to use my CK powers irresponsibly more than this one.

Shiny
10-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Oh, I forgot...

Starcraft sucks and only people who seriously lack a life play it. Starcraft competitions are dumb unless you're actually really good at which point you definitely don't have a life because to get good at that game you have to put in a lot of time investment for the strategy.

Same with World of Warcraft. Take a shower and go outside.

Pike
10-25-2012, 02:29 AM
Take a shower and go outside.

No. Outside sucks and games are better.

I agree that Starcraft has gotten pretty casual-mode though. It's turned into the Angry Birds of strategy games.

Madame Adequate
10-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Chess competitions are dumb unless you're actually really good at which point you definitely don't have a life because to get good at that game you have to put in a lot of time investment for the strategy.

Bunny
10-25-2012, 02:39 AM
Oh, I forgot...

Starcraft sucks and only people who seriously lack a life play it. Starcraft competitions are dumb unless you're actually really good at which point you definitely don't have a life because to get good at that game you have to put in a lot of time investment for the strategy.

I think the title said unpopular, not completely ignorant.

Raistlin
10-25-2012, 03:03 AM
FFIX and Xenogears are overrated.
Phoenix Wright sucks.
MILF is a terrible person with terrible taste. Oh wait, that seems to be the general consensus here.

I like the LUNAR series a lot. In fact, I would go to say that those two games are my favorite games. I think those two games, even with their cliches, are better than any Final Fantasy game.

Lunar: SSSC is one of my favorite games.

Sephex
10-25-2012, 03:18 AM
What this thread is degenerating into:

f6QBqCNuB3g

Futan
10-25-2012, 04:01 AM
The FPS genre peaked in the late-90s, early-00s with games like Quake 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The modern setting for FPS games has been played out far worse than WW2 ever was.

MMOs focus too much on endgame and not enough on the overall experience.

Portable systems and smartphones are horrible platforms for RPG games.

For developers/publishers: Copying another game won't mean you have the same success as it. Come up with something original to draw people away from that game. The MMO and FPS genres being the worst offenders of this.

For developers/publishers: Making a sequel more "accessible" to attract more people to an already established IP, is a good way to piss off your day one customers. Ya know, the same people who bought the original. Which in turn will give your game awful word of mouth.

I want to bitchslap the apparent 90% of studios/publishers who disagree with the last 2 so badly...

Skyblade
10-25-2012, 05:21 AM
What most people, including gamers, developers, and reviewers, consider "difficult" is merely an arbitrary measure of reaction time and speed of button-pressing/command issuing.

A game requiring incredibly fast reflexes, or a high Action Per Minute count to succeed in is considered "hard".

Truly difficult games are thus frequently overlooked, and turn-based games never have their difficulty discussed anymore (at least, until XCOM!).

Bolivar
10-25-2012, 05:59 AM
I don't think any thread has left me wanting to use my CK powers irresponsibly more than this one.

Is that why my post is missing or did I hallucinate writing it the first time??? :drool:

Pretty much. Gaming journalism is, for the most part, one huge inexcusably bad hype machine so I rarely visit them anymore.

I was just messin with ya :razz: And I'm definitely with you on that. I like to call them "glorified buyer's guides."

Final Fantasy I-IX on one machine.

Oh, and it's my opinion. :spin:

Bolivar: "It's Sony! What else could you need to hear?"

This thread is as good as any to put this to bed.

Daring to speak ill of Microsoft does not make you a Sony fanboy.

I owned a DS years before I bought a PSP. I'm on the record in this forum calling the PSP trash until it finally got on the same page as my late in its life cycle. I own a N64 and Gamecube and could take this forum's best three Super Smash Bros. players, in any version, on a team against me, solo (for dolo). I've been an on and off PC gamer all my life. I currently game almost exclusively on my PC. I've been on Steam since it was released by Valve. I've called out Sony for its mistakes in General Gaming and in my own professional reviews.

I didn't buy an Xbox 360 because it was a defective machine for the majority of its lifecycle and it never established a solid repertoire of exclusives. These statements have never been controversial.

I am sorry for daring to say these things out loud on the forum and for the emotional suffering it has caused you. I know Iceglow will never forgive me. All I hope going forward is that we can continue on as one big EoFF family.

I'm sorry you paid money for a horrible console :banme (<- not for real this time)

black orb
10-25-2012, 06:08 AM

>>> This has been the "popular" opinion for various years now..

Oh yeah, Pokemon and PC games suck..:D :luca:

Elite Lord Sigma
10-25-2012, 06:29 AM
The problem with most of my gaming opinions are that I spend most of my time with people like everyone here and not people who are only superficially interested in the medium. As such, my opinions really can't be classified as unpopular, since the ones I have (e.g. Microsoft is focusing too much on Kinect and not enough on a compelling exclusive game library) are generally agreed upon. If I had to choose one, it would be that PC gaming is overrated.

Other reasons I have issues with some of my opinions are that I just haven't played a lot of the games being brought up in this thread. I never really owned a Sony console at any point in my life thus far, so I haven't played the main series Final Fantasy games from VI to XII for any significant amount of time. I've never played Xenogears, I've never played Shadow of the Colossus, and so on and so forth with pretty much every game to come out for a PlayStation console and nowhere else. I'm also not much of a PC gamer, so I haven't played classics like Planescape: Torment, either.

Citizen Bleys
10-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Suikoden II is badly overrated

Every other Suikoden game is underrated

Star Trek Online is acutally kind of fun.

There has never been a good Star Wars game

Privateer II: The Darkening is better than any FPS ever made.

For that matter, "space sims are fun" seems to be a pretty unpopular gaming opinion full stop.

Skyblade
10-25-2012, 07:13 AM

Final Fantasy I-IX on one machine.

Oh, and it's my opinion. :spin:

Of course it is. I didn't discount the opinion, I merely asked for your reasoning.

And, in my mind, the FF library is not the best set of games on a console. The series is hit or miss, and there are definitely some better titles out there.

Heck, the DS has Chrono Trigger.

The Man
10-25-2012, 07:37 AM
The Super Famicom still has a better library of games than any other console in the history of gaming. (Granted, we didn't get a lot of them here, but that's another story...)

A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game.

Yoshi's Island is the best 2D Mario game.

The Marathon series is not only probably better than Halo but set a standard of depth with its story and worldbuilding that few games since have managed to match.

FFVI and FFVII are both good games. (VI is still better, though).

A lot of games were more charming when they had shitty translations and voice acting. (Symphony of the Night is a great example of this).

Old Manus
10-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Watch Dogs (http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogsgame/en-GB/home/) just looks like Deus Ex gone horribly wrong
I think people only pretend to like Tetris
Shadow of the Colossus tried so hard to be 'arty' that the gameplay suffered as a result
Metal Gear Solid 4 killed the series stone dead
Gran Turismo games are boring as hell

Quindiana Jones
10-25-2012, 08:16 AM
People who think an exclusive library is a good thing are wankers. :colbert:

Slothy
10-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Chess competitions are dumb unless you're actually really good at which point you definitely don't have a life because to get good at that game you have to put in a lot of time investment for the strategy.

You can replace Starcraft competitions and chess competitions (as well as the words game and strategy with appropriate substitutes) with just about anything from Sports to making movies to accounting or even moderating an FF forum and it would be no less apt as a demonstration of Shiny's wrongitude.

Is that why my post is missing or did I hallucinate writing it the first time??? :drool:

Either this is a poor attempt at a joke or you're hallucinating now.

Jiro
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM

Not true. I'm great at Lightning Chess and that's purely intuitive for me. Conversely, I'm too impatient for normal chess usually.

Aulayna
10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
The Civ series is trout.

/thread

edit: To really seal the deal:

There's still rampant innovation within the Gaming Industry as a whole.

Old Manus
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
The Civ series is trout.

/thread

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/oldmanus/eyepopping.jpg

Fynn
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
The Sims 3 offers a wonderful gaming experience :D And I love the Simstore.

Madame Adequate
10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
The Civ series is trout.

Explain.

Formalhaut
10-25-2012, 05:17 PM

Oh yes I LOVE the Sims 3! Ah, those are good times just tending to my little family. I can forget the sim store though, those items, for what their worth, are quite expensive.

Shoeberto
10-25-2012, 05:21 PM

Gaming is all about evoking emotion made possible by interacting with the environment. A lot of AAA titles fail to be games because they restrict or guide the interaction part too much.
I'm curious why you think Japan is more progressive than the west in the modern era since it runs counter to what I see demonstrated.

Your second point takes a really narrow view of what gaming should be. It's like saying that computer software is all about being able to type and format text in interesting ways. By your definition, no one should ever enjoy a game of Solitaire or Peggle. It might not be what you prefer, but that doesn't mean that it misses the point of being a video game.

Digital Distribution is unfeasible as an exclusively sustainable business model.

Explain.

I guess it's time for my opinion, which really is actually quite popular among developers: The mobile market is the future of gaming.

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Watch Dogs (http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogsgame/en-GB/home/) just looks like Deus Ex gone horribly wrong
I think people only pretend to like Tetris
Shadow of the Colossus tried so hard to be 'arty' that the gameplay suffered as a result
Metal Gear Solid 4 killed the series stone dead
Gran Turismo games are boring as hell

Asside from Watch Dogs, pretty much this.

Especially the Tetris thing. I feel like I'm a fucking monkey fitting different shaped blocks into the holes.

Fynn
10-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Oh yes I LOVE the Sims 3! Ah, those are good times just tending to my little family. I can forget the sim store though, those items, for what their worth, are quite expensive.

It's the worlds, Haut. The worlds!

BTW, do you have an account on the site? I could friend you :D

Pete for President
10-25-2012, 09:48 PM

I'm curious why you think Japan is more progressive than the west in the modern era since it runs counter to what I see demonstrated.

Your second point takes a really narrow view of what gaming should be. It's like saying that computer software is all about being able to type and format text in interesting ways. By your definition, no one should ever enjoy a game of Solitaire or Peggle. It might not be what you prefer, but that doesn't mean that it misses the point of being a video game.

Solitaire is actually full of interaction and choice by the gamer. It makes the player think
and feel emotion when his/her tactic fails or results in success. So I didn't intend to bash that game in any way.

The reason why I think Japan is still more progressive is because I feel like they at least try to see the future and adapt to different forms of gaming instead of relying too much on franchices. For example, handhelds are way further developed in the East and see way more titles. As far as I know (and feel free to prove me wrong) there are more IP's coming from Japan than being created in the west, and they often seem more rich in fantasy/creativity.

Big D
10-25-2012, 10:46 PM
On paper, the Assassin's Creed series has everything I'd like in a game: third-person action with a measure of stealth, a rich historical setting, a touch of sci-fi.

I tried playing the first game. By the first horse-ride out of town, I was completely bored troutless and gave up.

Quindiana Jones
10-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Solitaire...

Because it's you, I reflexively read this as Solaire xD.

The first game is infamous for being terrible, Big D. Please tell me you tried the sequel. Please.

Shattered Dreamer
10-25-2012, 10:49 PM
On paper, the Assassin's Creed series has everything I'd like in a game: third-person action with a measure of stealth, a rich historical setting, a touch of sci-fi.

I tried playing the first game. By the first horse-ride out of town, I was completely bored troutless and gave up.

Notwithstanding the fact that the AC series established itself as one of my favorite gaming series last summer the horse riding in the AC games is just so smurfing awful! However you need to play AC2 because in fairness AC1 is the worst in the series by far

Laddy
10-25-2012, 11:06 PM
I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the series but I do enjoy them. While AC1 had my favorite setting by far, it's a shame how relatively weak the gameplay was.

Such a shame. Anyway, AC2 is pretty good. Give a try.

Bolivar
10-26-2012, 03:02 AM

As does the PSP.

As well as Chrono Cross ;)

Explain.

The non-proliferation of broadband in considerable markets and the rise of the solid state drive.

Del Murder
10-26-2012, 03:51 AM
The Persona series is overrated. It's decent, but very repetitive and I don't understand the attention it gets here.
Final Fantasy XI is the best game SE has made in the last 10 years.
Pokemon, with it's rock paper scissors gameplay and multiple versions of the same game, is still very fun and better than most current RPG series.
Heavy Rain is not a video game.
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are overrated (fun, but overrated).
The Kingdom Hearts series is currently SE's best franchise.

Futan
10-26-2012, 04:11 AM
A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game.

Final Fantasy XI is the best game SE has made in the last 10 years.
Pokemon, with it's rock paper scissors gameplay and multiple versions of the same game, is still very fun and better than most current RPG series.

:beer:

Big D
10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the series but I do enjoy them. While AC1 had my favorite setting by far, it's a shame how relatively weak the gameplay was.

Such a shame. Anyway, AC2 is pretty good. Give a try.I borrowed a mate's copy of AC Revelations, which includes the original game as a bonus. After losing interest in the first one, I had a go at Revelations, which quickly began to feel like "more of the same, except just a little bit different". Don't really feel like going back to the second game on the off-chance it might have something magically unique that its precessor and successors lacked.

Quindiana Jones
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
D, why are you only playing the worst Assassin's Creeds? xD

Slothy
10-26-2012, 12:33 PM

As does the PSP.

I think when the best argument you can make for a console/handheld having a better library than others is that it has re-releases of previous consoles best games there is something very, very wrong. And I have a PSP and love it for the record.

Explain.

The non-proliferation of broadband in considerable markets and the rise of the solid state drive.

Gamestop might like a word on that if their PC section at every store I've been to is any indication. Steam, GOG, and I guess Origin if you really want to include it pretty much are the PC market these days. Is it feasible as the sole distribution method of all games right now? Of course not. Is it feasible as the primary distribution method for games though? Plenty of evidence pointing to yes. And since broadband coverage continues to expand in every part of the world, it's only a matter of time before it's perfectly feasible as the only distribution method.

As for solid state drives, they're a non-issue. Most people don't have them because they're expensive, and those that do, aside from having them in a netbook or Macbook Air or something (where you're probably not looking to play modern games anyway) are going to have your standard drives as a storage drive as well they can run games from. Moreover, the price per GB is always falling on SSD's and I'd say it'll be a couple more years before the amount of storage you get for a reasonable price is more than sufficient to handle just about anyone's gaming needs. And with services like Steam and sufficiently fast internet, you don't even need to store your entire library on the drive all of the time anyway. SSD's are really a non-issue as far as digital distribution, and by the time they've proliferated enough to be an issue, they'll have become cheap enough that it still won't matter.

Jiro
10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Vivi22: "Only a matter of time" doesn't really help people like me who live in parts of Australia where we have no access to broadband internet, and even were we to obtain it in the expected 10 years that the Federal Governments National Broadband Network has promised it in, it's still not as smurfing good as the US or Europe.

Slothy
10-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Vivi22: "Only a matter of time" doesn't really help people like me who live in parts of Australia where we have no access to broadband internet, and even were we to obtain it in the expected 10 years that the Federal Governments National Broadband Network has promised it in, it's still not as smurfing good as the US or Europe.

Oh don't get me wrong; when the inevitable digital future arrives you Australians are smurfed, but you guys aren't important anyway right? :p

But keep in mind when I say that a shift to all digital is mostly, if not completely, inevitable, we're not talking about five years from now. It might not come that quickly for everyone, but let's face it, it's probably where we're all headed as technology continues it's unstoppable march forward.

Shoeberto
10-26-2012, 02:36 PM

Such a shame. Anyway, AC2 is pretty good. Give a try.I borrowed a mate's copy of AC Revelations, which includes the original game as a bonus. After losing interest in the first one, I had a go at Revelations, which quickly began to feel like "more of the same, except just a little bit different". Don't really feel like going back to the second game on the off-chance it might have something magically unique that its precessor and successors lacked.
The first one sucked, and my coworker informed me that Revelations was really just meh. The second one is fantastic though and had me engrossed from start to finish, going in with basically 0 expectations - I bought it for like $5 used thinking it might be a good way to kill time, and I loved it.

I'm avoiding the other two in Ezio's story, though. I'm hoping AC3 captures the same magic that AC2 had.

Aulayna
10-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Assassin's Creed: Good idea, not very well executed
Assassin's Creed 2: Ironed out all the flaws of the first, more varied locations, interesting story, rewarding side missions/exploration/puzzles etc - Subject 16 stuff really stood out too
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Pretty much as above though much more refined combat - bit more confined location wise but still iterates and improves - Subject 16/Desmond stuff was really awesome
Assassin's Creed Revelations: Felt more like gigantic DLC than anything else, not really much new, not really interesting, plot was meh, it's contribition to the series storyline was quite minor and the Desmond related stuff was terrible - game as a whole was also very short in comparison to 2 and Brotherhood

Honestly I tell anyone who's interested in trying AC to skip the 1st one (read up on it if you want to understand some of the references) and start with AC2 and ACB - skip Revelations (again read up on it)

Quindiana Jones
10-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Indeed. 2 and Brotherhood are where it's at. Two very excellent games.

Madame Adequate
10-26-2012, 05:33 PM
The first game is infamous for being terrible, Big D. Please tell me you tried the sequel. Please.

No it's not, it was roundly applauded? Which isn't to say AC2 isn't a million miles better and should be tried, I agree, but "infamous for being terrible" is one of the most wrong things I've seen in this thread.

Araciel
10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis is the best video game ever.

Quindiana Jones
10-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I was unclear: it's terrible parts are well-known for being terrible. xD

Bolivar
10-26-2012, 07:50 PM

As does the PSP.

I think when the best argument you can make for a console/handheld having a better library than others is that it has re-releases of previous consoles best games there is something very, very wrong. And I have a PSP and love it for the record.

How does upping the ante on Skyblade's post qualify as the "best argument you can make"? If you mean my original response, I'm sorry, but there's nothing wrong with a fan of the FF series thinking it's tremendous for a handheld to have FFI-IX on one machine (on a drive nonetheless). It's my opinion.

And yes, I do think there are some tremendous original titles on the PSP, games that successfully navigated the dire straights between handheld and console gaming that the system so desperately failed at for the first few years of its life cycle.

Gamestop might like a word on that if their PC section at every store I've been to is any indication. Steam, GOG, and I guess Origin if you really want to include it pretty much are the PC market these days. Is it feasible as the sole distribution method of all games right now? Of course not. Is it feasible as the primary distribution method for games though? Plenty of evidence pointing to yes. And since broadband coverage continues to expand in every part of the world, it's only a matter of time before it's perfectly feasible as the only distribution method.

As for solid state drives, they're a non-issue. Most people don't have them because they're expensive, and those that do, aside from having them in a netbook or Macbook Air or something (where you're probably not looking to play modern games anyway) are going to have your standard drives as a storage drive as well they can run games from. Moreover, the price per GB is always falling on SSD's and I'd say it'll be a couple more years before the amount of storage you get for a reasonable price is more than sufficient to handle just about anyone's gaming needs. And with services like Steam and sufficiently fast internet, you don't even need to store your entire library on the drive all of the time anyway. SSD's are really a non-issue as far as digital distribution, and by the time they've proliferated enough to be an issue, they'll have become cheap enough that it still won't matter.

Even if broadband is one day available in every gaming market on the planet, you will still have large demographics who simply will not pay the monthly fee for broadband internet because they can't afford to. But they build up huge libraries of used games.

PC is difficult, and my answer is changing. In April I bought a new laptop with a 300GB Solid State Drive and a 400GB regular hard drive, both internal. By July, that SSD was full. My digital PC gaming library is only beginning to grow. This is a problem. I had to put Steam on my regular hard drive, much to my dismay. And uncharacteristically of Valve, Steam does not support multiple drives. This also makes storing games on the larger external drive a problem. However, I can agree that this will be partially alleviated over time, as you can already buy 1TB notebook drives for under $100. That's incredible. But I can tell you from my experience with PS3, uninstalling and reinstalling games for space is not fun. And that's from the disc. Having to re-download GB-size updates after waiting for the disc install to finish is a reason to not play the game.

And the PS3 also really highlights why you're wrong. There are PS3 exclusives that have filled up the single layer Blu Ray, and needed to go over into a double-layered Blu Ray. There are a few games that have filled up the dual-layered. 50 Gigabytes. And games are getting larger. I simply cannot believe that we will come to a future where users will be content to download a 60, 70, 80GB file in order to get a game, and then delete and redownload it. Not with every major internet provider having monthly download caps. Not with net neutrality a pipe dream. And certainly not in the low-income neighborhoods of Philadelphia, which is my local Gamestop's bread and butter. Granted, a lot of that is uncompressed audio. But as someone who regularly has their console digitally connected to a surround sound system, that's precisely what I expect from an HD-generation game. I desperately want a FFXII re-release, just so we can get a version without the horrible compression filters on all the excellent voice performances. How many decades will I have to wait before all these factors are neutralized and this "inevitability" happens?

For the sake of the joy of gaming, please, let me have my discs.

Aulayna
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Store you game files on a big external drive. Move the files over to the main drive when you want to play them. (obviously make sure you leave enough space on both drives to swap things over) No need to re-download everything.

Bolivar
10-27-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure if that works for Steam or PSN/XBLA content.

Futan
10-27-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure if that works for Steam or PSN/XBLA content.

Steam it definitely does. Won't even need to reinstall or anything. It will just run an integrity check.

There's also programs out there that will expand your library onto another disk, I'm pretty sure.

Aulayna
10-29-2012, 12:57 AM
It definitely works on Steam as I did it when I was building my new PC and also debating what I was having on my SSD etc. Just copied everything over from my old pc onto an external hdd then copied it over to steam. Booted Steam up and it was golden. The one thing you do need to watch out for though is that not all game saves are stored on the Steam Cloud - so be sure to check your Windows User folder for any saves to avoid losing them!

Wolf Kanno
10-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Well let's see...

I'll second the record that the current console generation is the weakest generation by far. The fact I have to own multiple systems just to feel like I got my money's worth this console generation is kind of sad.
FFVI and VII are great games, but they are both largely overrated.
FFXIII is a terrible game. Not a terrible FF, not a terrible JRPG, a terrible game...
Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bland title and one of the weakest MGS entries.
MGS: Peace Walker, while a great game for the handheld, is redundant and proof that MGS really needs to retire.
Zelda Ocarina of time is overrated and not the greatest game of all time, it's aged horribly and Nintendo knows it cause they overhauled it when they ported it to the 3DS just so it wouldn't play like ass on their new system.
3D gaming is a terrible gimmick.
Motion Controls are not a bad thing for gaming. It's still in it's infancy but it has a more plausible future than some other new game mechanics (see above)
Apparently I need to say this but Assassin's Creed Revelations is the best entry in the series. It's plot is more refined and focused, it has better level design, it's less buggy than the other entries, bombs add a lot to the game mechanics, the Desmond puzzles were actually real fun and creative, it made the Brotherhood feel more important to the gameplay as opposed to a gimmick in AC:Brotherhood, and the less Desmond the better. Yes the tower defense was awful but the game thankfully had the foresight to make it optional.
Raiden is not a terrible character and MGS2 is not bad for having him. Rose is a bad character and she's partly why MGS2 is not as good as the other MGS games.
The only thing the PSP has going for it is the ability to play PS1 games off it's memory stick, other than that it's an overpriced paper weight.
Final Fantasy has entered a Dark Age and I honestly don't feel they can restore the former glory of the series without some new blood or without removing some people from their positions.
Blizzard is overrated.
The industry needs to stop making Zombie themed games.
Sly Cooper's games were infinitely better than Ratchet and Clank or the Jak series.
JRPGs are no longer mainstream and have returned to their niche status.
Indie gaming is exciting in terms of coming up with imaginative ideas and innovation but most of them fail as fun games.
The Sega Saturn was a great system.
Merging MMO game design with solo RPG design is a terrible idea.
Modern game design has made gamers pansy's and this is partly why games are not as good as they used to be.
Super Mario Galaxy is overrated, and hardly one of the best Mario games
BlazBlue is not as good as Guilty Gear or Street Fighter.
All 3D fighting games are terrible.
Kazuhige Nojima is one of the worst scenario writers in the Japanese game industry.
Microsoft and Sony's console "arms race" has led to the current miserable state of the gaming industry.
Gaming journalism is terrible and largely could be written by anyone with an opinion regardless if it's right or wrong (I should join in *ZING*)
Sega Genesis vs. Super Nintendo is the only console war that mattered.

Pete for President
10-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Well let's see...

3D gaming is a terrible gimmick.
Raiden is not a terrible character and MGS2 is not bad for having him. Rose is a bad character and she's partly why MGS2 is not as good as the other MGS games.
The industry needs to stop making Zombie themed games.
Modern game design has made gamers pansy's and this is partly why games are not as good as they used to be.
Gaming journalism is terrible and largely could be written by anyone with an opinion regardless if it's right or wrong

Agreed with these.

About Rose: I read Kojima actually had a really psychedelic plot in mind for her. She was supposed to be on the oil rig, and Raiden would chase after her across the separate platforms (serving as a motivation for Raiden to deal with the threat), but he would never find her. This would make both Raiden and the player question whether she was real or just another AI made for puppeteering the fellow. Great scheme IMO, but the team veto'd the idea and instead we run around with a squirt gun freezing bombs.

Zombies suck regardless of medium.

As for the pansy part: Dark Souls has shown me the path as it has done for many, many others and I'm glad it gets a lot of love on these forums.

Quindiana Jones
10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
I think Dark Souls has one of the best stories of this generation. It really is a phenomenal game. It has such a massive history, but it's not just handed to you on a plate. You need to figure it out. You have to make assumptions and estimations based off of what little evidence you have.

Basically, it's exactly like real history, which is an incredible achievement for a game.

maybee
10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Well let's see...

I'll second the record that the current console generation is the weakest generation by far. The fact I have to own multiple systems just to feel like I got my money's worth this console generation is kind of sad.

Agree. The worst has to be the Atari ET era.

Zelda Ocarina of time is overrated and not the greatest game of all time, it's aged horribly and Nintendo knows it cause they overhauled it when they ported it to the 3DS just so it wouldn't play like ass on their new system.

Agree so much.

Pete for President
10-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I think Dark Souls has one of the best stories of this generation. It really is a phenomenal game. It has such a massive history, but it's not just handed to you on a plate. You need to figure it out. You have to make assumptions and estimations based off of what little evidence you have.

Basically, it's exactly like real history, which is an incredible achievement for a game.

Agreed. It is a great accomplishment to tell a story without a narrator throughout the game. The fact that there are dozens of lore video's on YouTube being made with the help of hundreds of players doing their research proves this is the real deal. Let alone the 200k views those vids get.

NeoCracker
10-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Dark Souls may be one of the most Aesthetically beautiful games I have ever seen. There is not a single enviroment in that game I would even rate as low as above average.

I dig for examples in a game like Skryim to find a great looking enviroment or area (The only three being the underground Snow Forest, the Underdark area, and Markarth) and yet none of those compares with any of the areas of Dark Souls.

Quindiana Jones
10-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Aye to both. Have you seen EpicNameBro's Lore videos. He's not too annoying a narrator, and he has a huge network of people helping him compile all this stuff. It's brilliant.

For me, Skyrim was one of the few games like Dark Souls that was just amazingly beautiful. However, unlike Dark Souls, I had to stop and make time for the scenery. There are always quests and quick travel getting in the way of atmosphere, whereas in Dark Souls the scenery is one of the main characters - hell, one of the most important main characters! The Ash Forest was well worth suffering through Blighttown for.

Del Murder
10-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Wolf wins the thread. His opinions are very unpopular.

FFVI and VII are great games, but they are both largely overrated.
I'll give you a little overrated, even if I don't agree. But why largely?

The only thing the PSP has going for it is the ability to play PS1 games off it's memory stick, other than that it's an overpriced paper weight.
BBS? Tactics Ogre? An improved FFT? The aforementioned Peace Walker? God of War games? Those are some things the PSP has going for it.

The Sega Saturn was a great system.
lol

Super Mario Galaxy is overrated, and hardly one of the best Mario games
Mario has some great games, so I'm not going to argue with that. But I do think SMG is the evlolution of SM64 which is one of the best Mario games. So that's something. It's tough to knock your pants off twice with 3D Mario. SM64 was such a pioneer for 3D platforming that the other 3D Mario games, though good, live in its shadow.

All 3D fighting games are terrible.
So Dissidia is terrible? Then why'd you play it so much? :p

Gaming journalism is terrible and largely could be written by anyone with an opinion regardless if it's right or wrong (I should join in *ZING*)
You mean like all journalism? :p

Pete for President
10-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Aye to both. Have you seen EpicNameBro's Lore videos. He's not too annoying a narrator, and he has a huge network of people helping him compile all this stuff. It's brilliant.

For me, Skyrim was one of the few games like Dark Souls that was just amazingly beautiful. However, unlike Dark Souls, I had to stop and make time for the scenery. There are always quests and quick travel getting in the way of atmosphere, whereas in Dark Souls the scenery is one of the main characters - hell, one of the most important main characters! The Ash Forest was well worth suffering through Blighttown for.

That is true. One of the strongest aspects of the environments in Dark Souls is that every area is relevant. Every prop is placed with utmost care, every treasure carefully balanced and every area has an ultimate, clearly recognizable goal. Just thinking about it makes me want to start my 9th or 10th character :0

milliegoesbeep
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
The Suikoden series is seriously underrated and are fantastic games.

Alundra kicked ass.

There is no point in shooter type games; sometimes I feel like i'm the only one who thinks these games need not exist.

FFVII sucked, I am convinced the only reason why people bum off of it is because AC was made. Now everyone is swooning over it when in actual fact, the storyline is loose and needs work, the relationships between characters needs tweeking and the MC leaves something to be desired.

I think XIII kicks butt.

Skyblade
10-29-2012, 06:15 PM
BBS? Tactics Ogre? An improved FFT? The aforementioned Peace Walker? God of War games? Those are some things the PSP has going for it.
Notice that "an improved FFT" is another PS1 game...

Well let's see...

Motion Controls are not a bad thing for gaming. It's still in it's infancy but it has a more plausible future than some other new game mechanics (see above)
Apparently I need to say this but Assassin's Creed Revelations is the best entry in the series. It's plot is more refined and focused, it has better level design, it's less buggy than the other entries, bombs add a lot to the game mechanics, the Desmond puzzles were actually real fun and creative, it made the Brotherhood feel more important to the gameplay as opposed to a gimmick in AC:Brotherhood, and the less Desmond the better. Yes the tower defense was awful but the game thankfully had the foresight to make it optional.
Merging MMO game design with solo RPG design is a terrible idea.

Yes, they are.

It may be better than the other two, depending on your view of the story, but that doesn't make it more than a glorified expansion pack.

And yet you liked FFXII.

Yay to Dark Souls and XCOM.

Del Murder
10-29-2012, 06:25 PM
So is Tactics Ogre. But you can only get that version of FFT on the PSP, and it's the best version.

Slothy
10-29-2012, 06:25 PM
And the PS3 also really highlights why you're wrong. There are PS3 exclusives that have filled up the single layer Blu Ray, and needed to go over into a double-layered Blu Ray. There are a few games that have filled up the dual-layered. 50 Gigabytes. And games are getting larger.

Here's the thing though Bolivar, using games delivered on Blu-Ray's with absolutely no file compression is a poor point of comparison because it's a pretty poor way to transfer files. Even lossless data compression can offer significant savings in file size for downloads. Moreover, even if companies were to use some lossy compression methods, I honestly doubt that anyone but a recording engineer or the like would notice once it's all playing onscreen and over surround sound. Most people simply can't tell the difference, as evidenced by the 360's undeniable popularity. Hell, most people don't seem to notice that most games on both consoles have to be upscaled to true HD resolutions, so the idea that people actually need uncompressed data for maximum quality strikes me as a bit silly. You're not really getting it anyway to begin with.

Moreover, many current gen games run just fine and look and sound better than their console counterparts on PC. But the largest games I own on PC according to their Steam file size are Batman: Arkham City and The Witcher 2 at roughly 10GB and 22GB respectively. And to call them outliers would be understating it. Aside from those, I don't own much that tops 5-6 GB. File sizes simply haven't increased that much on average since the days of DVD's being the biggest storage media available.

I simply cannot believe that we will come to a future where users will be content to download a 60, 70, 80GB file in order to get a game, and then delete and redownload it. Not with every major internet provider having monthly download caps. Not with net neutrality a pipe dream. And certainly not in the low-income neighborhoods of Philadelphia, which is my local Gamestop's bread and butter.

Like I said, give it time and see what shakes out. Some of it depends on companies getting some real competition in the market, and there are entire political and economic issues which stand in the way of it, but if we're going to sit and ponder over whether technology will continue to get faster, more powerful, and cheaper, I'm going to side with history and bet on all of the happening inevitably.

How many decades will I have to wait before all these factors are neutralized and this "inevitability" happens?

I'm not sure why you think it would take decades to get there for the average customer, or even lower income customers. Hell, 10 years ago, for what I'm paying for internet now I would have had a connection that would get me, maybe 100-150kb/s, with or without a cap depending on the company. Right now, I get between 2-3Mb/s depending on the connection at the other end with no cap. And I don't pay some ridiculous amount either. And with may traditional telecomm services like TV and phones migrating online, it's not unrealistic to think that any low income family that can afford a console or computer could pay for that instead of TV and phone service.

Anyway, the point being that in the last ten years, my service has improved by what? A factor of 20-30. And I'm not paying anymore than I did then? The increase in file size for games by comparison is a not insubstantial amount smaller.

Again, if we're going to take bets on whether technology is going to get exponentially faster, cheaper, and more powerful, I can't think of any reason why I would bet against what has been undeniably true historically.

Skyblade
10-30-2012, 12:05 AM
So is Tactics Ogre. But you can only get that version of FFT on the PSP, and it's the best version.

I haven't played the PSP Tactics Ogre, so I wasn't sure if it was a new game or the old one rereleased.

The fact that 2 of your 5 games are PS1 titles kind of prove's Wolf's point, in my opinion. Sure, some of those, heck, a lot of those are enhanced. But they're still remakes.

Wolf felt Peace Walker was redundant, so that's unlikely to win him over anyway...

NeoCracker
10-30-2012, 12:11 AM
While I'm not as down on PSP as Wolf (Though this system itself is pretty crap considering it's library, a very small number of bitchin' games asside) A modded PSP is really the way to go. If it wasn't moddable, I'd never have picked one up.

Wolf Kanno
10-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Wolf wins the thread. His opinions are very unpopular.

To be honest I didn't even list one opinion cause I really didn't want to get into that discussion. I'm happy I won though.

I'll give you a little overrated, even if I don't agree. But why largely?

Saying a game is great is one thing, treating it like it was the video game version of the singularity is another. Both games are great and objectively I feel they are on equal standing in overall design but the fanboys in us all pretty much blind us to that. Even then I feel progress has marched on and there are better games in terms of design and storytelling and while both entries have aged pretty well, I still feel they both show their age and have elements that wouldn't slide in today's market.

I never liked God of War and while I will count BBS and Peace Walker as great games there isn't much left in terms of original content for the system that stands out for me. I don't count ports, even if they are spruced up. My issue with the PSP is that most of my games for it are ports or PS1 games. I don't own very many original PSP games cause it lacks a strong library of original content. I have a similar issue with the GBA. Even the few original games on it that I like, I can't help but feel like they would have been better on a console and often feel they were meant for console originally but shoe horned into the PSP cause Sony was desperate for some original game content. It's not a bad system, but it fails to really live up to its potential and doesn't really offer much I couldn't get anywhere else besides being a portable emulator.

Mario has some great games, so I'm not going to argue with that. But I do think SMG is the evlolution of SM64 which is one of the best Mario games. So that's something. It's tough to knock your pants off twice with 3D Mario. SM64 was such a pioneer for 3D platforming that the other 3D Mario games, though good, live in its shadow.

You know, I never really played Mario 64 cause I never owned a N64 and kind of felt it was a crummy system. So I don't really have the nostalgia vibe for 3D Mario so Mario Galaxy was my first foray into Mario's jump to 3D. If Glaxy is the best successor to that title, I have a feeling I just don't care for 3D Mario games.

So Dissidia is terrible? Then why'd you play it so much? :p

I don't consider it a real fighting game, much like how I don't consider Smash Bros. a fighting game either cause mechanically they don't play like traditional fighting games. So it's excused on a technicality. The game also is pretty damn over-simplistic and largely it's the RPG elements that are more important than the actual fighting game elements.

I'm sure if you found a boring topic that fulfills only a niche group of people you would find some honest journalism cause they don't have to suck up to conflicting interest groups. ;)

Jiro
10-30-2012, 10:41 AM

I'm sure if you found a boring topic that fulfills only a niche group of people you would find some honest journalism cause they don't have to suck up to conflicting interest groups. ;)

I'm going to murder you both. Clearly the cornerstones of journalism are lost on the both of you. Just because there is an issue that needs to be addressed does not mean you can make blanket statements like this.

Goldenboko
10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Regarding fully downloadedable games only argument going on: It's not going to happen. My current coop is directly dealing with internet providing. That industry is nowhere near ready for that level of load on cable-bandwidth.

Slothy
10-30-2012, 01:10 PM

You know, I never really played Mario 64 cause I never owned a N64 and kind of felt it was a crummy system. So I don't really have the nostalgia vibe for 3D Mario so Mario Galaxy was my first foray into Mario's jump to 3D. If Glaxy is the best successor to that title, I have a feeling I just don't care for 3D Mario games.

Mario Galaxy is only a good successor to Mario 64 if someone considers a game with pretty tiny, linear levels and almost no exploration a good successor to a game which was pretty much the opposite of those things. I don't think it was a good successor at all because Mario 64 was pretty much all about having open levels that you could explore and collect stars in any order you want. Galaxy does far too much hand holding for my liking.

Del Murder
10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
That's a reasonable critique and one that I expected, though some of the levels of Galaxy are a bit more open. Other than that I can't really argue. I guess I just prefer a more linear design to platform games.

Slothy
10-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I've generally preferred the games that let me explore a lot more. Stuff like Mario 3, or my personal favourite 2D Mario, Mario World were so chock full of things to discover that I honestly enjoyed that more than beating the game. Mario 64 was the same way. The first star in most levels is pretty obvious, but there were very few that you couldn't go off the rails to find right away instead. Plus there were some really cool parts like the clock level where jumping in at specific times on the clock affected the speed things moved in the level, making some stars harder or easier, and the level which let you transition from big to small versions of it. There was a hell of a lot of variety in that game too.

So for me, I've been left feeling like the 3D Mario games got it right the first time as far as what I wanted, and since then they've just been gradually spiraling into a more linear version I have no real interest in anymore. The only fairly linear Mario I actually like is the original Super Mario Bros. but I think that's because it not only nailed the movement mechanics perfectly, but it could be quite challenging. I don't really even get that from the newer 3D games which are too easy, and sometimes a pain to control with the changing perspectives.

Hollycat
10-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Pokemon is the best rpg ever made.
All for one was by far the worst RC game ever made.
Dead space was better than the sequel.

Oh wait, unpopular.\
One moment, let me grab my list.

1. FF4 is one of the weakest entries in the series.
2. FF6, while enjoyable, was actually a very average game that does not deserve half the praise it gets.
3. The nintendo ds version of viva pinata is the best version, and is actually one of the ten best games on the system
4. The phoenix wright series is entirely overrated, consisting of only extremely easy to decipher scenarios and childishly easy gameplay
5. FF 12 is the third best ff, behind 9 and 7, and was easily one of the five best games on the ps2.
6. Plants vs zombies sucks. A five year old can beat it on their first try without losing once. WHile everyone here will agree the hundreds of remakes are unnecessary, I will go as far as to say the game has little to merit its existence in the first place, with many better td games available on the internet for free.
7. Spyro, a new beginning on ps2 was actually a good game.
8. slenderman is a stupid, pointless, and extremely easy game with the same horror level as saw.
9. Peter Jacksons King Kong the game is scarier than dead space.
10. Anyone who has ever said anything along the lines of, I enjoyed playing two worlds needs to be shot out of a canon into the sun.
11. Super mario 64 was terrible, handled like a one legged moose trying to operate a series of cranes at the same time, and added little to the series.
12. the best shooter on the psp was 3rd birthday.
13. tactics ogre has no comparison with ff tactics.
14. FF TA2 was better than FFt
15. grandia sucks.
16. monster hunter sucks.
17. warriors orochi 2 was one of the best games ever made for a handheld, falling only behind crisis core.
18. psp was the best handheld ever
19. secret agent clank was better than size matters.
20. DR who games are awful.
21. metal slug is awful.
22. DW Next, despite the praise it recieved from critics, is terrible, adds nothing except better looks, removing free mode, and completely removes the rpg feel given by previous dw games.
23. MGS is terrible, the gameplay is terrible, the story is terrible.
24. There has never been a good resident evil game
25. littlebigplanet is terrible, although addictive.

to be continued.

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2012, 04:18 PM
I really liked King Kong. Great fun.

Skyblade
10-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Chrono Trigger is better.

5. FF 12 is the third best ff, behind 9 and 7, and was easily one of the five best games on the ps2.

Yeah, no. One of the worst. Probably better than 2, maybe better than 3, but lower than the most of the rest.

Yeah, it's better than... Wait, there were other shooters on the PSP?

So was FFTA. In fact, the series has been improving steadily.

17. warriors orochi 2 was one of the best games ever made for a handheld, falling only behind crisis core.

Considering how bad Crisis Core was, that's not saying a lot.

Shattered Dreamer
10-30-2012, 08:40 PM
HC, I agree with your number 5 but your number 23 makes me want to slap your face :lol:

Laddy
10-30-2012, 08:44 PM
All for one was by far the worst RC game ever made.
Dead space was better than the sequel.

Oh wait, unpopular.\
One moment, let me grab my list.

2. FF6, while enjoyable, was actually a very average game that does not deserve half the praise it gets.
3. The nintendo ds version of viva pinata is the best version, and is actually one of the ten best games on the system
4. The phoenix wright series is entirely overrated, consisting of only extremely easy to decipher scenarios and childishly easy gameplay
6. Plants vs zombies sucks. A five year old can beat it on their first try without losing once. WHile everyone here will agree the hundreds of remakes are unnecessary, I will go as far as to say the game has little to merit its existence in the first place, with many better td games available on the internet for free.
7. Spyro, a new beginning on ps2 was actually a good game.
8. slenderman is a stupid, pointless, and extremely easy game with the same horror level as saw.
9. Peter Jacksons King Kong the game is scarier than dead space.
10. Anyone who has ever said anything along the lines of, I enjoyed playing two worlds needs to be shot out of a canon into the sun.
11. Super mario 64 was terrible, handled like a one legged moose trying to operate a series of cranes at the same time, and added little to the series.
13. tactics ogre has no comparison with ff tactics.
15. grandia sucks.
16. monster hunter sucks.
19. secret agent clank was better than size matters.
20. DR who games are awful.
21. metal slug is awful.
22. DW Next, despite the praise it recieved from critics, is terrible, adds nothing except better looks, removing free mode, and completely removes the rpg feel given by previous dw games.

to be continued.
GO BACK TO OBJECTIVELYWRONGSVILLE. :stare:

LunarWeaver
10-31-2012, 03:19 AM
Diablo III is my favorite Diablo :jess:

maybee
10-31-2012, 09:07 AM

What Pokemon ? Black and White is pretty good. ~It doesn't matter if your black or white~/ Michael Jackson Moonwalks.

Let me load my shotgun. ( If I had one )

4. The phoenix wright series is entirely overrated, consisting of only extremely easy to decipher scenarios and childishly easy gameplay.

I just fainted....

5. FF 12 is the third worst ff, behind 2 and 13-2, and was easily one of the five worst games on the ps2.

Fixed.

Agree. One of my best friends hyped it up like it was the best thing ever made and it's just some repetitive gameplay and nothing new.

I've never played it so I can't judge but I sort of agree with you this one. It looks like judging videos by Youtube people just hype it up and act scared for attention and more views. So like people use it to attention seek so they get more views up on the Youtube counter. It seems like it anyways.

Isn't it better to praise the plumber for trying to step away from the cliche format of from going to Mario 1 like gameplay to just Mario 1 like gameplay ? I mean just look at the newest Mario game on the 3DS, it's just Mario 1 again just with better graphics.

21. metal slug is awful.

What are you smoking ? Because I don't want some.

Pete for President
10-31-2012, 09:12 AM

You are such a Negativitron.

Goldenboko
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
I typically just enjoy the game I play and not try to over-analyze what is better than it. :monster:

Del Murder
10-31-2012, 03:32 PM
For these to work you actually need to have that opinion, Gobo.

Loony BoB
10-31-2012, 05:41 PM
A very large amount of opinions given in this thread are what I consider to be popular opinions, not unpopular opinions. Some of the below might fall in line with that, so yeah.

Final Fantasy VI - Boring story. Opera scene is meh.
Final Fantasy X - Tidus, Yuna and Seymour make this game close to unplayable for me.
Final Fantasy XIII - Great characters, good game.
Square-Enix - Still capable of making great games (this is not to say they ARE making them).
Oblivion - Not worth your money.
GTA IV - Unengaging and uninteresting.
JRPGs - Still better than WRPGs.
Pokémon since it's release - Not worth it, better off just re-purchasing the original.
Resident Evil since it turned FPS - Rubbish.
Wolf Kanno - Wrong ;) Well, not always, but it's fun to put this in. :D
First Person Shooters - Not even close to as good as other genres.
Minecraft - Severely lacking in longevity.

Slothy
10-31-2012, 05:50 PM

I think from now on (or the next five minutes at least) I'll give you a pass on your terrible FF opinions you listed just because of this.

GTAIV is easily the worst GTA I've played. Probably the worst sandbox game I've played in years actually. Mind you, it has to compete with the likes of Just Cause 2, so obviously it will be found lacking. Ironically, we can thank Square-Enix for that one.

Goldenboko
10-31-2012, 06:22 PM
For these to work you actually need to have that opinion, Gobo.

Actually for the most part with me that opinion is true now. :lol:

Pete for President
10-31-2012, 10:07 PM

I think from now on (or the next five minutes at least) I'll give you a pass on your terrible FF opinions you listed just because of this.

GTAIV is easily the worst GTA I've played. Probably the worst sandbox game I've played in years actually.

Agreed. Which brings up the next point:

I couldn't care less about GTAV.

Hollycat
10-31-2012, 10:17 PM

GTAIV is easily the worst GTA I've played. Probably the worst sandbox game I've played in years actually.

Agreed. Which brings up the next point:

I couldn't care less about GTAV.
All these things.

DMKA
11-02-2012, 05:18 PM
-Earthbound is a terrible game.
-Final Fantasy XIII is a great game.
-This gaming generation is better than all but the last one.

nik0tine
11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
FF7 has been appraised accurately but FF6 is overrated.

Formalhaut
11-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Given all the pure hatred towards GTA IV, I think my opinion that I actually really enjoy and like GTA IV is probably an unpopular opinion!

Hollycat
11-02-2012, 09:50 PM
GTA is only fun with cheats. The best sandbox game is freelancer.

Laddy
11-02-2012, 10:10 PM
The best sandbox game is freelancer.
Did you suddenly become significantly attractive?

Bolivar
11-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Vivi, my friend: whether people can recognize if audio is compressed or not is irrelevant; games are getting bigger, particularly the games coming from the Sony studios I mentioned. I understand most games in your library top out at 5-6GB, but I still filled up about 300GB in four short months. I'm sure the gamers now coming onto PC and Steam are encountering similar issues. The older games I've downloaded are agreeably small, but almost all the games I've downloaded which have been released in the last five years range from 9-18GBs. And they're getting bigger.Don't count on competition helping you out. Having 4-5 large firms in a market is the standard, and they seem pretty happy with their download caps and non-neutrality. Lastly, your 10-year comparison is misleading. The first 5 years of that period grew impressively, but the last five years do not approach the dictionary definition of exponential (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exponential?s=t).

Also, most of what I studied for my History degree was the history of science & technology and I know a lot of professors who specialize in it. You would be surprised what history actually has to say about technology always getting easier and faster :D

I haven't played the PSP Tactics Ogre, so I wasn't sure if it was a new game or the old one rereleased.

The fact that 2 of your 5 games are PS1 titles kind of prove's Wolf's point, in my opinion. Sure, some of those, heck, a lot of those are enhanced. But they're still remakes.

SKYBLADE YOU CAME AT MY DENYING PSP > ALL ELSE B/C CHRONO TRIGGER IS ON DS DON'T ACT LIKE WOLF OPINION = YOUR OPINION!!!!

I'm sorry, but new, port, or remake, an awesome game is an awesome game. None of your intellectual counterpositions you posit on an internet forum can change that.

As I said earlier, I was actually in the same boat as Wolf, if not worse, since I didn't own the system and thought it was trash, not a paper weight. But I can't imagine how the PSP being a "paper weight" is a tenable argument any longer. Tell me what games you like and I'll tell you a list of awesome titles you can buy physically or digitally for relatively cheap.

You see? Two out of two of the only sane EoFF members agree: PSP > ALL!!!!

maybee
11-03-2012, 05:23 AM
-Earthbound is a terrible game.

This. Tried it last year and it was so damn dull and the battle system was so stupid.

Wolf Kanno
11-03-2012, 05:47 AM
V

SKYBLADE YOU CAME AT MY DENYING PSP > ALL ELSE B/C CHRONO TRIGGER IS ON DS DON'T ACT LIKE WOLF OPINION = YOUR OPINION!!!!

I'm sorry, but new, port, or remake, an awesome game is an awesome game. None of your intellectual counterpositions you posit on an internet forum can change that.

As I said earlier, I was actually in the same boat as Wolf, if not worse, since I didn't own the system and thought it was trash, not a paper weight. But I can't imagine how the PSP being a "paper weight" is a tenable argument any longer. Tell me what games you like and I'll tell you a list of awesome titles you can buy physically or digitally for relatively cheap.

Ports and remakes don't mean much when you already own the game. Especially when some of the ports are not as good (PS1 versions of the FFV, VI and CT) so whether the game is good is pretty pointless for an old timer who already owns your wares.

Skyblade
11-03-2012, 05:13 PM

I wasn't intending to. I was arguing Wolf's point because it was fun to argue, and true.

I only mentioned Chrono Trigger for two reasons. The first is that it's a remake that's better than any of the remakes on your list. The second is that the other argument I was considering, going down the list game by game and giving an example of a game superior to each FF for the DS is something I felt would get me lynched here.

Bolivar
11-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Ports and remakes don't mean much when you already own the game. Especially when some of the ports are not as good (PS1 versions of the FFV, VI and CT) so whether the game is good is pretty pointless for an old timer who already owns your wares.

They don't have to mean much. All they mean is that the system has a game that another doesn't, hence why the PSP trumps all other handhelds.

I only mentioned Chrono Trigger for two reasons. The first is that it's a remake that's better than any of the remakes on your list.

I would love to have the discussion where you explain to me how the Chrono Trigger "remake" is better than Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on the PSP. I'm sure a lot of people are also interested in your War of the Lions comparison as well.

But comparing remakes of different games is far less relevant than the fact that the PSP has both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross and the Nintendo DS doesn't.

Slothy
11-03-2012, 11:10 PM

They don't have to mean much. All they mean is that the system has a game that another doesn't, hence why the PSP trumps all other handhelds.

So a handheld having ports and remakes from another system mean that the system has games another doesn't? I think you may want to reword that because it's the literal definition of wrong as it stands. :D

Pretty sure you meant that the PSP has ports and remakes which the DS didn't. But this still begs the question for me of why someone should get pumped for a handheld who's best titles were ports and remakes of 5-10 year old games? It's not even like many of the ones you seem to care so much about weren't readily available used on the PSX, on the PSN for PS3, or god forbid, through emulation. And some are really just ports of bad PSX ports of games which are almost 20 years old and easily emulated or have superior versions on other handhelds which are still readily available, creates even less of a reason to get excited.

Now look, I like my PSP, I enjoyed War of the Lions, and I won't say that ports and remakes are bad because there are always people who never played them. But I didn't buy a PSP to play ports of PSX games and bad ports of SNES games. Whatever happened to selling a console or handheld on what it brings to the future of gaming, not what it brings from gaming history? Being able to go back and play old classics is great, but it's not something for any console to try and hang it's hat on alone.

It's like arguing the biggest selling point for the PS2 was backwards compatibility. If that were true, it'd be a pretty sorry state of affairs for the console.

Bolivar
11-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Pretty sure you meant that the PSP has ports and remakes which the DS didn't.

No. My unpopular opinion is that the PSP is better than any other handheld released.

But this still begs the question for me of why someone should get pumped for a handheld who's best titles were ports and remakes of 5-10 year old games?

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is not a port or remake.

It's not even like many of the ones you seem to care so much about weren't readily available used on the PSX, on the PSN for PS3, or god forbid, through emulation.

Emulating iso images has persistently defied the phrase "readily available."

And some are really just ports of bad PSX ports of games which are almost 20 years old and easily emulated or have superior versions on other handhelds which are still readily available, creates even less of a reason to get excited.

You should quote another post if you want to argue about "getting excited."

But I didn't buy a PSP to play ports of PSX games and bad ports of SNES games.

Neither did I. I bought it for cutting-edge handheld titles Nintendo was no longer interested in making, not to mention some of the greatest games of all time, looking better than they do on a TV.

Whatever happened to selling a console or handheld on what it brings to the future of gaming, not what it brings from gaming history?

Which days were those?

When the 3DS's most promising title was the Ocarina of Time remake? Or before that? When the DS Lite launched with a remix of Mario levels called New Super Mario Bros.? Or before that? When the Nintendo DS launched with a stickless Mario 64?

Or before that? When the Game Boy Advanced hoped you would buy it for the American version of Super Mario Bros. 2?

Or before that? When the Game Boy Color shipped with a portable Super Mario Bros. 1 and a remake of A Link to the Past?

Vivi, can you please elucidate what age of handhelds you're talking about? Because all I can think of are Peace Walker and Valkyria Chronicles 2's innovative multiplayer, and, yes, those are PSP games!

Being able to go back and play old classics is great, but it's not something for any console to try and hang it's hat on alone.

Not even sure why you're saying "hang it it's hat on alone" at this point.

It's like arguing the biggest selling point for the PS2 was backwards compatibility. If that were true, it'd be a pretty sorry state of affairs for the console.

I'm confused again.

Jiro
11-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Resident Evil since it turned FPS - Rubbish.

um? They aren't FPS?

Aulayna
11-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Pretty sure you meant that the PSP has ports and remakes which the DS didn't.

No. My unpopular opinion is that the PSP is better than any other handheld released.

But this still begs the question for me of why someone should get pumped for a handheld who's best titles were ports and remakes of 5-10 year old games?

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is not a port or remake.

It's not even like many of the ones you seem to care so much about weren't readily available used on the PSX, on the PSN for PS3, or god forbid, through emulation.

Emulating iso images has persistently defied the phrase "readily available."

And some are really just ports of bad PSX ports of games which are almost 20 years old and easily emulated or have superior versions on other handhelds which are still readily available, creates even less of a reason to get excited.

You should quote another post if you want to argue about "getting excited."

But I didn't buy a PSP to play ports of PSX games and bad ports of SNES games.

Neither did I. I bought it for cutting-edge handheld titles Nintendo was no longer interested in making, not to mention some of the greatest games of all time, looking better than they do on a TV.

Whatever happened to selling a console or handheld on what it brings to the future of gaming, not what it brings from gaming history?

Which days were those?

When the 3DS's most promising title was the Ocarina of Time remake? Or before that? When the DS Lite launched with a remix of Mario levels called New Super Mario Bros.? Or before that? When the Nintendo DS launched with a stickless Mario 64?

Or before that? When the Game Boy Advanced hoped you would buy it for the American version of Super Mario Bros. 2?

Or before that? When the Game Boy Color shipped with a portable Super Mario Bros. 1 and a remake of A Link to the Past?

Vivi, can you please elucidate what age of handhelds you're talking about? Because all I can think of are Peace Walker and Valkyria Chronicles 2's innovative multiplayer, and, yes, those are PSP games!

They were also 3rd Party titles. Your entire argument seems to be based on slating Nintendo's 1st Party offerings when some the GBA/DS/3DS best games have come from 3rd Party developers too.

Neither of those titles you mentioned were PSP launch titles either.

Context is marvelous thing when you contort it.

Skyblade
11-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I only mentioned Chrono Trigger for two reasons. The first is that it's a remake that's better than any of the remakes on your list.

I would love to have the discussion where you explain to me how the Chrono Trigger "remake" is better than Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on the PSP. I'm sure a lot of people are also interested in your War of the Lions comparison as well.

But comparing remakes of different games is far less relevant than the fact that the PSP has both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross and the Nintendo DS doesn't.

Ha, now who is using other people's arguments? You didn't mention Tactics Ogre, only FFs I through IX.

Besides, I said I hadn't played the PSP Tactics Ogre.

As for a game superior to War of the Lions, the DS has FFTA and FFTA2, so take your pick, because they're both better.

Jowy
11-04-2012, 10:01 PM
everything i just said on page five

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/q/image/1348/62/1348628623534.jpg

Bolivar
11-05-2012, 12:49 AM
They were also 3rd Party titles. Your entire argument seems to be based on slating Nintendo's 1st Party offerings when some the GBA/DS/3DS best games have come from 3rd Party developers too.

Neither of those titles you mentioned were PSP launch titles either.

Context is marvelous thing when you contort it.

The basic idea is that Vivi's glory days description is slightly inaccurate.

Reading comprehension is a marvelous thing when you fail at it. ;)

Skyblade
11-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Here's another of mine: Cartridges > Optical Media

Elpizo
11-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Final Fantasy VI is the worst game in the series (not counting XIII).
FFTA is better than FFT and FFTA2.
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest isn't horrible.
Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game.

Bolivar
11-15-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm usually down with most of Elpizo's opinions, but YO what is up with all these people saying FFTA is better than FFT!?!?

Karifean
11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Final Fantasy X is the best in the series and all the characters in that game are good.

Pete for President
11-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Final Fantasy X is the best in the series

Seconded.

and all the characters in that game are good.

With the exception of Rikku. She's fine as the anonymous Al Bhed at the beginning, but I'd rather see her return as an NPC instead of a party member.

The Man
11-15-2012, 11:45 AM
You know, this thread is for unpopular gaming opinions, not completely wrong gaming opinions.

Aulayna
11-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Here's another of mine: Cartridges > Optical Media

Word! ^5

Hollycat
11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Rikku, Yuna, and Ject were the only terrific qualities of FFX. And yuna only because of her gameplay.

Ultima Shadow
11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
This post might be a few weeks old, but:

I could take this forum's best three Super Smash Bros. players, in any version, on a team against me, solo (for dolo).
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7632/hahahaohwowq.jpg

Anyhow:

-Star Ocean 3 and Super Mario RPG has the two most awesome RPG battle systems ever.
-Thought Xenogears was "okay" at best.
-I think that Touhou 12.3 is the second most entertaining 2D-fighter ever, second only to SSBM.
-Think that both FFVI and FFVII are great games, but that FFVIII tops them both. I'm not 100% sure if this opinion is unpopular enough though.
-Age of Empires > all other strategy games of its kind (not entierly sure how unpopular this opinion is either).

Skyblade
11-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Dragon Age Origins had wretched combat mechanics.

Mr. Purple
11-15-2012, 06:47 PM
The ending of Mass Effect 3 wasn't that bad.

Madame Adequate
11-15-2012, 07:08 PM

With you there buddy, was so bad I couldn't be bothered slogging through the game.

Skyblade
11-15-2012, 07:15 PM

With you there buddy, was so bad I couldn't be bothered slogging through the game.

Cheat. If you're playing on the PC, there are tons of console commands, mods, and other such things that can make the combat trivial. It's a good story, with some great characters and moments. It's just the gameplay that sucks. Its gameplay may not be as bad as KotOR's, but my gosh, it is still horrible.

SWTOR and Mass Effect are the only games by BioWare I've played which are actually fun to play, instead of forcing myself to play them in order to get to the story bits.

Ooh, another unpopular opinion: SWTOR has fun gameplay.

Each class is unique, and fun. It's not just a WoW clone, because, while I loved my Warrior in WoW, that was the only class I enjoyed. Anytime I pick up a new character in SWTOR, I find myself generally liking the gameplay mechanics on their own. The weakest class is the Knight/Warrior, but I'd still rate it up there with WoW's Warrior class.

SWTOR's main failing is that it is an MMO. It would be so much better as a single player game.

Laddy
11-16-2012, 04:42 AM
Baldur's Gate II. Baldur's Gate II is best BioWare game. :stare:

noshowmillk
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Crash Team Racing isn't another rip-off of Mario Kart...

Hollycat
11-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Crash Team Racing isn't another rip-off of Mario Kart...
But LBPKarting is a rip off of CTR

Red Mage Coffman
11-16-2012, 04:03 PM
- I hate Final Fantasy VIII. The horrible story, Junction system, and the writing ruins it for me.
-I hate Final Fantasy X. Given the battle system, Sphere Grid, Auron, and Yuna are amazing, Tidus, the horrible story, Spira, and blitzball EASILY ruin this game for me.
- I didn't like Skyrim. I thought the game was really boring, lacked depth, and I felt like all the NPC's and other characters were poorly designed. Not to mention the hair in Skyrim is awful.
- I've never been able to get into the Legend of Zelda series. I've played, like, two. I always get to bored with the others and quit halfway in.
- Same thing with Half Life. Never was able to get into it.
- I prefer Playstation to Xbox.
- I thought Borderlands was pathetic and stupid. I would only play it with friends to critisize it. I don't have high hopes for Borderlands 2, even thought i've heard its ten times better.
- I thought Sonic 06 was a good game.
- Okay, I'm kidding about the last one.

Shoeberto
11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
- I didn't like Skyrim. I thought the game was really boring, lacked depth, and I felt like all the NPC's and other characters were poorly designed. Not to mention the hair in Skyrim is awful.
I put ~60 hours into it at launch, and recently revisited it and was... underwhelmed. I think there was a lot of "ooh, shiny" when it came out for me, but now I just wonder why. I think it's a beautiful world they've crafted, but god is it shallow. I'm just not interested in cookie-cutter dungeons and bland combat. I'm very much retroactively disappointed in the game.

Madame Adequate
11-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Cheat. If you're playing on the PC, there are tons of console commands, mods, and other such things that can make the combat trivial. It's a good story, with some great characters and moments. It's just the gameplay that sucks. Its gameplay may not be as bad as KotOR's, but my gosh, it is still horrible.

But KotOR is excellent. :confused:

Ultima Shadow
11-16-2012, 05:40 PM
I thought this was an absolute and undeniable fact! =O

Laddy
11-16-2012, 05:56 PM
I thought this was an absolute and undeniable fact! =O
Of course. Which is why everyone should skip Mass Effect or Dragon Age and immediately play it. :stare:

Skyblade
11-17-2012, 08:05 AM

But KotOR is excellent. :confused:

The game is, yes. The gameplay is not. So horribly stilted and jerky. The semi-turn-based nature of ability activations mean you get five seconds of nothing, followed by a brief flurry of activity that you can't follow. Targeting was a mess, ability selection was horrible, AI was ridiculous.

It's a great game, but try to go back and play it now, and you'll see just how bad the combat is.

Quindiana Jones
11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
I often went back and played KotOR and KotOR 2. They're great fun. Admittedly, HK47 is the main reason that 2 holds similar ground to the first. ;)

Madame Adequate
11-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Actually I played it a year or two ago and had a great time, I just don't see those complaints tbh :shobon:

Mercen-X
11-17-2012, 09:21 PM
- I love Final Fantasy VIII. The intricate story, Junction system, and the writing makes it for me.
-I love Final Fantasy X. Given the battle system, Sphere Grid, Auron, and Yuna are amazing, Tidus, the story, Spira, and blitzball EASILY make this game for me.
- I've only been able to get into one out of the Legend of Zelda series: Majora's Mask. I've played, like, two. I didn't enjoy Hey! Ocarena.
- I don't know what Half-Life or Skyrim are.
- I prefer Playstation to XBOX. I hate my XBOX, it doesn't stay on when I turn it on. It comes on after a power outage and won't turn off. It sucks that some of the games I'm most interested in playing are only available on the system... fu...
- The videos I've seen of Borderlands make me sleepy.

Shiny
11-17-2012, 10:29 PM
I will agree with Kanno, the Sega Saturn was a great system and I know that we're in the minority in saying that.

I had a PSone too which if we're going by quantitive standards, of course it was superior for the fact that there were many games available for it. Many of the games I loved were Sonic games and I played them on the Sega Saturn. It was a large part of my child hood and makes me nostalgic to this day. Some of the games also looked and felt better to me. For example, I preferred to play Resident Evil 1 on SS because of the shoddy PSone controls. Granted, the controls still sucked only slightly less on SS, but that's Capcom's fault.

I am also probably in the minority when I say that the Dreamcast sucks. I was one of the people who didn't buy it when everyone was all gun-ho about it because I saw it as a pointless purchase.

Bolivar
11-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't think a lot of people vehemently maintain that the Sega Saturn sucked, per se. Just because it's largely forgotten in the annals of history doesn't mean it was horrible. The limited time I spent with it at my friend's place were pretty cool, I just moved to Sony after the Genesis for some strange reason...

Slothy
11-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah, the Saturn had some awesome games, but it didn't gain a lot of traction with developers and the public. Granted the architecture was kind of convoluted and not ideal for the time as it tended to be better suited to 2D than 3D from what I've heard. That wasn't a good specialty to have in the mid 90's.

maybee
11-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Blind SNES fanboyism annoys me quite a bit. I mean Brentalfloss I love his songs, but he would never do a song from a Sega game. He even made a Nintendo love theme and said in the song that " Sega just didn't complete for my feelings for Nintendo " ( tosses away a copy of Sonic 3 )

Most reviews of retro games usually favour for the SNES and if the game is on both consoles the SNES version most likely always wins. I don't hate the SNES, it has good games. Though I believe that some youtube reviewers just blindly follow the SNES and Nintendo like they're still in the 1990's, like Sega is still the enemy and rival and should be hated. The console bit war was over almost 20 years ago. Sega should be getting some love and people, most likely Youtube reviewers like Angry Video Game Nerd for a example should stop kissing Nintendo's feet. It's almost like a cult and Mario is God.

I do like the SNES but the blind fanboyism is just stupid.

Aulayna
11-20-2012, 03:00 AM
The GameCube was Nintendo's finest hour.

Hollycat
11-20-2012, 03:03 AM
The GameCube was Nintendo's finest hour.

I agree

Skyblade
11-20-2012, 09:02 AM
The GameCube was Nintendo's finest console hour.

Changed slightly. It might be true, the GameCube was phenomenal, but trying to compare it to the DS is not something I'm willing to do.

Shoeberto
11-20-2012, 03:02 PM
The GameCube was Nintendo's finest console hour since the SNES.

Changed slightly. It might be true, the GameCube was phenomenal, but trying to compare it to the DS is not something I'm willing to do.
Changed again, because c'mon, you can't beat the SNES' library. But the GameCube was fucking boss.

Slothy
11-20-2012, 03:15 PM
From the looks of things, I'm going to have to state the actual unpopular opinion about the Gamecube, at least around here: The Gamecube is the weakest Nintendo console by far.

Bolivar
11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
It's almost like a cult and Mario is God.

That was a really awesome post that could be a thread in itself. The flames of the PS3 360 war have largely been extinguished, yet a lot of the fury from the 16-bit epoch still rages, at least passive-aggressively, today. Sega had such an incredible vibe going with the music and the artwork of a lot of the first party games, but I can understand how the opposition gets enthralled by that "Nintendo magic" that you can still see in a lot of their games even today. So while a lot of us have since gone back to check out Chrono Trigger and FFVI, a lot of the Nintendo retro crowd have to wonder why the smurf they would ever want to play Shining Force or Phantasy Star.

From the looks of things, I'm going to have to state the actual unpopular opinion about the Gamecube, at least around here: The Gamecube is the weakest Nintendo console by far.

Vivi:

Slothy
11-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Vivi:

You know, I had just seen the Wii U thread and remembered that I completely forgot about the Wii. Must have blocked it out. So I'll amend my statement: the Gamecube is the worst Nintendo console that didn't pander to casual gamers to print money. :D

Aulayna
11-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game. Ever.

maybee
11-22-2012, 02:09 PM
That was a really awesome post that could be a thread in itself. The flames of the PS3 360 war have largely been extinguished, yet a lot of the fury from the 16-bit epoch still rages, at least passive-aggressively, today. Sega had such an incredible vibe going with the music and the artwork of a lot of the first party games, but I can understand how the opposition gets enthralled by that "Nintendo magic" that you can still see in a lot of their games even today. So while a lot of us have since gone back to check out Chrono Trigger and FFVI, a lot of the Nintendo retro crowd have to wonder why the smurf they would ever want to play Shining Force or Phantasy Star.

Agree.

I've tried the Phantasy Star on a Sega collection set for the PSP and ... I just can't get into it... I have no idea if that is a unpopular opinion or not, but compared to the SNES's Final Fantasy games, they just don't compare thanks to SquareSoft. Also I don't get why it's called Phantasy Star ? What in the flying fudge is a Phantasy ? It sounds like your trying to say Fantasy, but you have a lisp.

I do have to think that the SNES was the better console over all [ even though the Sega has my favourite game in the world Strider ], but damn some people even today worship it like crazy.

Also Sega was rude smurftards with their advertising towards Nintendo.

NeoCracker
11-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game. Ever.

<3

Shiny
11-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Oh, I forgot...

I think the title said unpopular, not completely ignorant.
Why did I miss this? Oh, because it's Bunny who posted it. My comment may be many things but ignorant, not entirely.

The three people who replied to this are Bunny, MILF, Pike.

And then my comment:

and only people who seriously lack a life play it.

I rest my case.

Formalhaut
11-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Practically all FPS games (CoD, Battlefield etc.) are just repetitive, uncreative cash cows.

Skyblade
11-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Pokemon XD is the best Pokemon game.

Pokemon Platinum is the best handheld Pokemon game, even if it did have too many Pokemon.

Quindiana Jones
11-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Mount and Blade is better than Skyrim. :colbert:

Laddy
11-27-2012, 07:25 AM
<3

Jowy
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Majora's Mask is GOOD and all but:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Links_Awakening_box.jpg/250px-Links_Awakening_box.jpg

come on now!

Bubba
11-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Toy Story 2 which I downloaded from PS1 Classics is better than any title that has been released for the Playstation Vita.

Laddy
11-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Elder Scrolls Online look horrible and is a pointless waste. It's a shame that I have to play this to explore Tamriel rather than getting a game in Black Marsh or Elsweyr. :/

J.E. Sawyer is one of the most talented people in the industry and Obsidian is the company RPG gamers should watch, not Bethesda, BioWare or even Square-Enix.

Jiro
11-28-2012, 05:18 AM
<3
Mount and Blade could stand to be improved but it's fucking great.

Quindiana Jones
11-28-2012, 08:20 AM
There are mods for improving it. Floris, C-RPG etc. If you have a good enough computer, then you can pretty much eradicate all the bad things about it. I, unfortunately, cannot. But it's still fucking sweet. Most enjoyable combat I've had since Dark Souls. If you could dodge, I would say I enjoy it as much, or near enough!

Let's all do a big multiplayer fight, eh? :D

Bolivar
11-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Damn, it's really that good?

Quindiana Jones
11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I think so. It's great fun. I'll go into depth in your usernotes, haha.

Mercen-X
11-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Kirby and Metal Gear Solid should be combined.

Quindiana Jones
11-30-2012, 05:34 AM
I can't even express in words how much I want to play that game.

Mercen-X
11-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Solid Kirby (http://tw.snafu-comics.com/?comic_id=15)

Bolivar
11-30-2012, 06:00 AM
Have I mentioned I thought GTA IV was a great way to bring the series into the HD era and really set off this generation?

I think the belief that Metal Gear Solid 4 was a good game has become an unpopular opinion.

And it's not unpopular, but that kirby/snake crossover pic is fantastic and avatar-worthy.

Pete for President
11-30-2012, 08:55 AM
I think the belief that Metal Gear Solid 4 was a good game has become an unpopular opinion.

I wish I could say otherwise, when it was just released I felt blown away. But after a recent playthrough I found there are some flaws (mostly in story- and pacing-elements, and a few gameplay-wise) that together just ruin the overall experience.

Bolivar
11-30-2012, 05:39 PM
I wish I could say otherwise, when it was just released I felt blown away. But after a recent playthrough I found there are some flaws (mostly in story- and pacing-elements, and a few gameplay-wise) that together just ruin the overall experience.

Agreed that the pacing can be pretty off after you've seen it all before, but the gameplay still hooks me everytime. It's the most rewarding stealth game in the series (probably another unpopular opinion).

Forsaken Lover
12-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3 is not OHMYGODYESYESYEYSEYSYESYEYSEYSYES Amazing. It is only good and it has many a flaw.

Metal Gear Solid 2 easily had the most engaging story and characters of the entire series.

Baten Katiso: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is probably better than most of the FF games I've played.

Resident Evil Zero is one of the best games in the series.

Xenosaga Episode 1 is the best game in the Trilogy. Also Shion was a good character then.

Blood Omen 2 wasn't a completely awful game. It had some pretty awesome parts actually.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-16-2012, 08:41 AM
I didn't really enjoy Shadow of Colossus at all...