PDA

View Full Version : unpopular musical opinions!

Jowy
10-24-2012, 09:58 PM
I stole this thread idea from Laddy's similar one in the gaming forum.

"The Final Cut" is the best Pink Floyd album. Roger Waters is a very angry man and just lets it all out this time around.

There isn't a single Smashing Pumpkins album where you don't skip at least one track. Siamese Dream is the best but come on now.

The cover of "Sympathy for the Devil" by Guns and Roses is exponentially better than that of the Rolling Stones.

Criminally Vulgar
10-24-2012, 10:24 PM
John Lennon was a total wanker.

The old stuff remains the best, but The Smashing Pumpkins are releasing some really good stuff right now and the band is the tightest it's ever been.

Muse are massively overrated.

Morrissey and Marr were collective geniuses, but it was Morrissey who really made The Smiths what they were.

Sneaker Pimps were better post-Ali.

Hole were better than Nirvana.

Shorty
10-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Bauhaus' version of Ziggy Stardust is better than Bowie's.
Aim and Ignite is 1000x better than Some Nights.
Our Love to Admire is the best Interpol album.
The Killers are severely underrated and need more credit.

Laddy
10-24-2012, 10:36 PM
You should write comedy.

Lady Gaga is underrated as a musician by her detractors, overrated as a role model by her fans.

George Harrison is my favorite Beatle.

Jeff Buckley was the best artist out of the 90's. THE BEST.

Bunny
10-24-2012, 11:01 PM
You should right comedy.

The Beatles were mediocre, Nirvana sucked, Pink Floyd is overrated, and Billy Corgan is a horrible singer.

OK Computer and Kid A are not Radiohead's best albums - The Bends is.

Dubstep, and the entire genre of electronic dance music and all related sub-genres, is not music.

Milli Vanilli were robbed.

I Don't Need A Name
10-24-2012, 11:38 PM
"The Final Cut" is the best Pink Floyd album. Roger Waters is a very angry man and just lets it all out this time around.

I actually really like The Final Cut..

Aim and Ignite is 1000x better than Some Nights.

Anyone who had heart of fun. before We Are Young know this as fact anyway :jess:

Shattered Dreamer
10-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Rock musicians placement of The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd etc on pedestals is the reason why Rock music has failed to evolve since the mid 90's.

Lady Gaga is the best singer songwriter of our generation

Adele is criminally overrated.

You are an idiot if you're willing to pay more than $100 for a standard ticket to any gig.

Nickelback are one of the best rock bands of the past 15 years.

U2's Joshua Tree album is god awful & I wonder how many people have actually listened to it start to finish.

Shorty
10-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Nickelback?

Laddy
10-25-2012, 12:56 AM
:stare:

I Don't Need A Name
10-25-2012, 01:13 AM
U2's Joshua Tree album is are god awful & I wonder how many people have actually listened to it them start to finish.

Fix'd :monster:

Jinx
10-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Seconding Adele being over-rated. Her music is beautiful as is her voice, really. But she isn't god. Her new song isn't very good, and even some of her stuff on 21 isn't that good.

Radios need to play what's good as opposed to what's just popular. (This is more of a generalization, really.)

50s/60s musics are the best musics.

Neon Bible is a terrible album, and The Suburbs was way better.

Coldplay is excellent, but over-rated.

Florence + the Machine is one of the greatest songwriters of our time.

Bjork's music really isn't that weird, and if you can't handle it, you seriously need to expand your music tastes.

Pike
10-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Oldschool U2 is great and you all can bite me.

Chiptune is a glorious genre.

New wave is a glorious genre.

The 80s was the best decade for music.

Gangnam Style is the best song this year.

maybee
10-25-2012, 01:44 AM

This

I love the 80's !

Shorty
10-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Neon Bible is terrible and Nickelback is the greatest rock band of the past fifteen years? What the smurf is going on in this thread.

Strawberry Jam is the best Animal Collective album.
Pop Goes The World is Men Without Hats' best song.

LunarWeaver
10-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Total Eclipse of the Heart is the best music video ever made. I wouldn't want to meet the me that was me before I witnessed it.

Citizen Bleys
10-25-2012, 06:50 AM
The only good music written in the 80s was performed by Ozzy

The 90s was filled with good music. (Yeah, there was a lot of dreck, but there was also Brother Cane, Alice In Chains, Collective Soul, The Goo Goo Dolls, STP, etc.)

Pheesh
10-25-2012, 08:14 AM

This

I love the 80's !

You're both certifiable.

The Beatles are boring, so are the Rolling Stones.

John Bonham was influential, but comparatively not that great a drummer.

Pike
10-25-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought of another one.

Purely electronic music has more soul in it than any other kind of music.

Jinx
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Neon Bible is terrible and Nickelback is the greatest rock band of the past fifteen years? What the smurf is going on in this thread.

Strawberry Jam is the best Animal Collective album.

It really is. I can't stand Neon Bible.

Also, of course Strawberry Jam is Animal Collective's best album, why is this even an unpopular opinion, Shera?

Fynn
10-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I love contemporary artistic music, with Penderecki and Igor Stravinski being some of my favorite composers.

Basically what people normally call "classical" music (classical actually only refers to the classical period, but whatever) is the only thing I listen to besides VGM.

I also think Lady Gaga has some obscure hidden goal behind her activity as a musician.

Very unpatriotically, I do not love Chopin. I do not hate him, 'casue I can tell he was a genius, but I just don't think the hype is deserved.

Jinx
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I love contemporary artistic music, with Penderecki and Igor Stravinski being some of my favorite composers.

Basically what people normally call "classical" music (classical actually only refers to the classical period, but whatever) is the only thing I listen to besides VGM.

I also think Lady Gaga has some obscure hidden goal behind her activity as a musician.

Very unpatriotically, I do not love Chopin. I do not hate him, 'casue I can tell he was a genius, but I just don't think the hype is deserved.

FYNN I LOVE YOU FOR THIS. <3 When people say they "love classical musical" most the time it really ISN'T referring to that. Or they say "modern day classical." It drives me up the waaaall, but I can't be arsed to correct people on this matter.

You better tell your fiancee someone just snatched you up mwahahaha.

Cuchulainn
10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I thought that 'Are You Normal' thread was full of the biggest pile of shit until I came to this one. Holy Glorious Fuck people, have words with yourselves.

Shoeberto
10-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I thought that 'Are You Normal' thread was full of the biggest pile of trout until I came to this one. Holy Glorious smurf people, have words with yourselves.
No kidding. I'm okay with some of these opinions being unpopular, but Nickelback? That's a step too far.

Criminally Vulgar
10-25-2012, 04:41 PM
You should write comedy.

I said this today and received a genuinely disgusted reaction.

Sephex
10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
>goes to unpopular musical opinion thread
>is shocked when an unpopular musical opinion is read

Jinx
10-25-2012, 05:15 PM

>is a Nickelback fan

Shorty
10-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Also, of course Strawberry Jam is Animal Collective's best album, why is this even an unpopular opinion, Shera?

I have had two different people tell me that they thought Here Comes The Indian out-ranks Strawberry Jam! I just gawked at them and couldn't come up with a proper response.

I disagree about Neon Bible because some of their best songs are on that album. :colbert:

Jinx
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Maybe I should give Neon Bible JUST ONE MORE GO.

Shoeberto
10-25-2012, 05:22 PM
C'mon, man. It's Nickelback.

edit: Also a lot of these are claims that something is a fact, usually completely ignoring context. Opinions are whatever but some of these are just ridiculous. But then again that's what I get for expecting a serious discussion about art on the web. Also, ignoring what I just said about broad generalizations, everything about Nickelback ever is bad and awful.

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 05:26 PM
I'll give you this Shorty, 'Hott Fuss' from the killers was an awesome Album. Past that? They just stopped trying really.

And I counter Bleys with this, Motorhead was around in the 80's too. As was Dio :p

1) Asside, from Paint it Black and Symphony for the Devil, I don't really like Rolling Stones.
2) Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Ozzy Solo is better then Sabbath.
3) I really don't like Animal Collective.

Shorty
10-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Maybe I should give Neon Bible JUST ONE MORE GO.

DO IT <3333

Jowy
10-25-2012, 05:29 PM

I have had two different people tell me that they thought Here Comes The Indian out-ranks Strawberry Jam! I just gawked at them and couldn't come up with a proper response.

Merriweather Post Pavilion is exponentially better than Strawberry Jam.

Shorty
10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Get out of here with your newschool Animal Collective, Eric!

Shoeberto
10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Animal Collective people: point me to a song by them that doesn't just sound like noises thrown together. I really like My Girls and was obsessed with it for a time, and made a Pandora station for them that I freaking love, except I have to downvote every actual AC song that comes on it because it's just... sounds. Not really music. I like the idea of AC, and I like a lot of bands that are considered musically similar, but I have not heard a single track other than My Girls that I have enjoyed in the least.

Shorty
10-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, Peacebone is out then.

z7ytPNb75Ho

Try this one!

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Animal Collective people: point me to a song by them that doesn't just sound like noises thrown together. I really like My Girls and was obsessed with it for a time, and made a Pandora station for them that I freaking love, except I have to downvote every actual AC song that comes on it because it's just... sounds. Not really music. I like the idea of AC, and I like a lot of bands that are considered musically similar, but I have not heard a single track other than My Girls that I have enjoyed in the least.

We should form the AAA. 'The Anti Animal Colective Alliance'.

Edit: That song was aweful.

Shorty
10-25-2012, 05:42 PM
:aimkiss:

Sephex
10-25-2012, 05:43 PM

>is a Nickelback fan

C'mon, man. It's Nickelback.

I was actually referring to all posts, not one in particular. The point of these threads are to talk about an opinion you believe is unpopular. So when people overreact to an opinion, I find it kind of stupid.

Shorty
10-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Isn't that why these threads are made, though, silly? So we can poke at eachothers opinions for being different!

Sephex
10-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Isn't that why these threads are made, though, silly? So we can poke at eachothers opinions for being different!

Eh, maybe I am just reading it in the wrong tone but some posts (especially in the gaming version of this thread) are taking the opinions very personally.

Also, I would like to point out that a girl I dated got severely pissed off at me for not liking Nickelback. So no, I don't think I was defending Nickelback by pointing out the logical fallacy of the attitude I am perceiving in these kind of threads.

Shoeberto
10-25-2012, 05:49 PM

z7ytPNb75Ho

Try this one!
I actually liked that one!

Shorty
10-25-2012, 05:50 PM
POINT FOR TEAM AC *high five jowyTBclo*

Pike
10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Man this thread

It's like I can smell the Starbucks

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 05:51 PM

z7ytPNb75Ho

Try this one!
I actually liked that one!

Okay, you are no longer welcome in the AAA.

Slothy
10-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Eh, maybe I am just reading it in the wrong tone but some posts (especially in the gaming version of this thread) are taking the opinions very personally.

I don't see how you could be a member since 2001, have more than 5,600 posts, and not realize that every single person here is not only prone to fits of exaggeration and hyperbole, but that if you were look up the definitions of those words you see a picture of the EOFF main forum page and nothing else.

I also have to agree with Uncle Big Hands on the Rolling Stones. And the funniest part is, while I'd agree that Paint it Black is one of the very few good songs they have, I've heard several covers by other bands which were all a million times better.

I also can't stand the Beatles.

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Man this thread

You know, your instance that the Majority is wrong on 80's music is probably most Hipstery thing about this thread.

Shorty
10-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Man this thread

I think you mean you can smell the beverages from local independent non-commercial environmentally-friendly community-focused coffee shops, Pike!

Madame Adequate
10-25-2012, 05:53 PM
The Beatles were pretty average.
Coldplay is one of the worst bands to ever exist.
Oasis, Blur, Radiohead and any similar 90s British band should all be executed. The entire decade was a wasteland of pure sewage.
Nobody is, has ever been, or will ever be as good as Daniel O'Donnell.
The Lambeg Drum is a beautiful instrument.

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 05:57 PM
The Beatles were pretty average.
Coldplay is one of the worst bands to ever exist.
Oasis, Blur, Radiohead and any similar 90s British band should all be executed. The entire decade was a wasteland of pure sewage.
Nobody is, has ever been, or will ever be as good as Daniel O'Donnell.
The Lambeg Drum is a beautiful instrument.

I mostly agree on beetles, outside of a couple above average songs, and I find most of their music pleasant.

Yes to cold play and the other bands listed, no to the entire decade being sewage.

I don't even remember who Daniel O'Donnel was.

And most instruments can be beautiful if used right. :p

Pike
10-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Man this thread

You know, your instance that the Majority is wrong on 80's music is probably most Hipstery thing about this thread.

I don't insist that, it's just an opinion.

I should add that Men Without Hats is like the only band in this thread that I recognize. I just don't care that much about music. It's fun to listen to, and that's that.

Sephex
10-25-2012, 06:00 PM

I don't see how you could be a member since 2001, have more than 5,600 posts, and not realize that every single person here is not only prone to fits of exaggeration and hyperbole, but that if you were look up the definitions of those words you see a picture of the EOFF main forum page and nothing else.

I also have to agree with Uncle Big Hands on the Rolling Stones. And the funniest part is, while I'd agree that Paint it Black is one of the very few good songs they have, I've heard several covers by other bands which were all a million times better.

I also can't stand the Beatles.

As I have stated many times before, I have a knack for reading the tone of any text based conversation in the wrong way. So again, maybe it is just me.

Also, I am not saying I think EVERY post sounded like people were hating on each other, nor do I think the result of either thread is going to make members enemies out of one another. Just saying how I perceived things.

I don't know, I just I don't like threads that are deliberately designed to push buttons. Like, I hate it when I am out with a group of friends and it seems all people want to do is **** with each other. It's fun in short spurts, but it gets old to me real quick.

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Man this thread

I don't insist that, it's just an opinion.

Should add that Men Without Hats is like the only band in this thread that I recognize. I just don't care that much about music.

I thought of another one.

Purely electronic music has more soul in it than any other kind of music.

Sounds pretty insistent to me. :colbert:

Pike
10-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes well I'm used to "unpopular opinion" threads on other sites where that's how you state an opinion? The thread states "opinion" on the title, you shouldn't have to preface every single post with THIS IS MY OPINION OKAY, that should just be there by context.

By having your name next to the post you already tagging it as your opinion.

in my opinion

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Yes well I'm used to "unpopular opinion" threads on other sites where that's how you state an opinion? The thread states "opinion" on the title, you shouldn't have to preface every single post with THIS IS MY OPINION OKAY, that should just be there by context.

By having your name next to the post you already tagging it as your opinion.

in my opinion

Funny how we have to default to you're posts being opinions, yet the rest of us are defaulted to assuming we are 'insisting'. :colbert:

:p

Lonely Paper Star
10-25-2012, 06:06 PM
I can't get into classic rock for the most part. It makes me bored.

Pike
10-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Funny how we have to default to you're posts being opinions, yet the rest of us are defaulted to assuming we are 'insisting'. :colbert:

I don't recall saying that anywhere xD Everything in this thread is an opinion!

Slothy
10-25-2012, 06:08 PM
As I have stated many times before, I have a knack for reading the tone of any text based conversation in the wrong way. So again, maybe it is just me.

I should probably have included an emoticon or two at the end of that post because I was just poking some fun at you and the rest of the forum Sephex. :D

Pike
10-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Eyes on IS THIS SARCASM I CAN'T EVEN TELL ANYMORE *cries*

Sephex
10-25-2012, 06:09 PM

I should probably have included an emoticon or two at the end of that post because I was just poking some fun at you and the rest of the forum Sephex. :D

It's all good. I ain't even mad! :love:

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 06:10 PM

I don't recall saying that anywhere xD Everything in this thread is an opinion!

[QUOTE=Pike;3154305]Man this thread

At first I though you were using 'you don't insist' to say you weren't hipster-ish. Turns out it was in response to my use of the word. XD

Regardless, you are still more hipster then the rest of this thread. :colbert:

Slothy
10-25-2012, 06:11 PM

It's all good. I ain't even mad! :love:

:squeeze:

Pike
10-25-2012, 06:12 PM

I must be the hipster that all the other hipsters hate then, because all I listen to is pop. And I don't like coffee. Or use a mac. Or wear a scarf.

Somebody, somewhere, is taking this post dead seriously and they're going to start a debate with me about "hipsters"

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 06:15 PM

I must be the hipster that all the other hipsters hate then, because all I listen to is pop. And I don't like coffee. Or use a mac. Or wear a scarf.

Somebody, somewhere, is taking this post dead seriously and they're going to start a debate with me about "hipsters"

Maybe not in taste, but in Priciple you are a hipster.

And when that debate happens, it will be priceless. :p

Shorty
10-25-2012, 06:16 PM
you aren't a hipster unless you listen to listen to neutral milk hotel

in my opinion

Pike
10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/300x300/40221935.png

DAILY REMINDER THAT THIS IS A POTATO SLICE

Shorty
10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
IT IS A TURNIP, PIKEY

edit: it's a tambourine, silly

NeoCracker
10-25-2012, 06:19 PM
..Isn't that a painting? :confused:

Citizen Bleys
10-25-2012, 06:35 PM
And I counter Bleys with this, Motorhead was around in the 80's too. As was Dio :p

I stand by my previous statement.

Psychotic
10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
you aren't a hipster unless you listen to listen to neutral milk hotel

in my opinioni listened to nmh before hipster douchebags had heard of them... which I guess makes me an arch-hipster?

Shorty
10-25-2012, 06:58 PM
No, it makes you the Father Hipster.

Shattered Dreamer
10-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Gangnam Style is the best song this year.

YES!

blackmage_nuke
10-25-2012, 10:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with using autotune. Even when it's used to change a mediocre singer to sound on tune. Like any instrument it can be used badly, but most of the time when people complain about the use of autotune it's just elitism. I find the true power of a song is mostly in the composition, not the performance. There are thousands of people who can perform a song, but only one who can compose it, and when a brilliant composer is a mediocre performer and cant find a good performer, autotune can be a very useful tool

Big D
10-25-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm indiffferent to Rebecca Black's Friday.
It holds no musical interest for me, and the moral of the song is somewhere between 'harmlessly neutral' and 'actually kinda admirable'. I mean, it's just some kid singing about how the weekend is good because she gets to hang out with her friends - hardly apocalyptic stuff.

The Man
10-25-2012, 10:42 PM

I stand by my previous statement.

I counter with Sonic Youth, R.E.M. and Hüsker Dü.

Raistlin
10-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Radiohead is overrated
Beastie Boys are just awful.

This is the message board that has virtual death matches over pop vs. soda and 30 vs. 50 vs. 100 posts-per-page. What else did you expect?

Jowy
10-26-2012, 12:18 AM
You don't even like "Sabotage?" What the hell.

Shorty
10-26-2012, 12:21 AM
I have to agree with Wesley on the Beastie Boys.

Sephex
10-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Radiohead is overrated
Beastie Boys are just awful.

This is the message board that has virtual death matches over pop vs. soda and 30 vs. 50 vs. 100 posts-per-page. What else did you expect?

After thinking about it for a couple of hours, yeah, I guess I shouldn't have even joked around about it. This place, as well as others, have argued about much sillier things.

I guess I'll stop being a curmudgeon and join in on the fun!

*I actually prefer newer Nine Inch Nails material to Pretty Hate Machine. Don't get me wrong, my favorite NIN stuff is from the 90's, and PHM is still has CLASSIC songs on it, but there are also songs that seriously didn't age well and drag down the album today. Especially "That's What I Get." Ugh.

*I know no one gives a **** about Marilyn Manson anymore, but I am still a fan. In fact, the latest record (Born Villain) was a great return to form...for the most part. Anyway, former fans/people in general usually complain that Manson's sound and lyrics have suffered in quality over the years. I agree to that to an extent, but if you examine the newer records more closely, one can actually argue that not enough has changed with the band. I believe that people don't realize that they simply got used to the way the band does things, concerning former fans. That and Manson wrote himself into a corner for relying on a shocking image too much, thus running the band into the ground. As a result, I feel many people have missed out on great Manson material, if you are into such a sound.

*I liked 10,000 Days better than Ænima.

*In terms of almost any band in almost any metal genre, I actually like it when bands get more melodic and write more complex music. Want to know why that is? Because in most cases the band is getting better. Sorry, not every metal band sounds better if they sound like it was recorded from an 80's boom box inside a garbage can.

*I rarely, RARELY believe anyone that says they liked a band's first album the best. In most cases they are trying to be HIPSTER GARBAGE!!!

*I don't really care for My Chemical Romance, but I like their first album. You could say I like their first album the best!

Jowy
10-26-2012, 12:26 AM
three cheers for sweet revenge is entirely good and in no way is inferior to that mediocre Early Sunsets Over Monroeville crap. you are listening to something incorrectly.

Sephex
10-26-2012, 12:31 AM
three cheers for sweet revenge is entirely good and in no way is inferior to that mediocre Early Sunsets Over Monroeville crap. you are listening to something incorrectly.

It's been awhile since I listened to either record (I do remember liking "Ghost of You" of off their second album a lot). As I said, though, I am not a fan. It's funny that I just slammed metal fans for not liking rawer sounding stuff, but I guess I just felt that the rougher sound of the first album worked better for MCR's style.

Jowy
10-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Thank You For The Venom is just great. Helena's fun too.

The Man
10-26-2012, 01:19 AM
People don't like the Beastie Boys? If you don't like Paul's Boutique, you don't like hip-hop.

There, I said it.

Jinx
10-26-2012, 02:00 AM
This thread is making me want to listen to My Chemical Romance.
brb

Slothy
10-26-2012, 02:19 AM

In terms of overall instrumentation I'd say flat out that it's their best album.

Lonely Paper Star
10-26-2012, 02:26 AM
This thread is making me want to listen to My Chemical Romance.
brb

Same.

... Currently blasting it now. IDGAF.

Shoeberto
10-26-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm indiffferent to Rebecca Black's Friday.
It holds no musical interest for me, and the moral of the song is somewhere between 'harmlessly neutral' and 'actually kinda admirable'. I mean, it's just some kid singing about how the weekend is good because she gets to hang out with her friends - hardly apocalyptic stuff.
Everybody's looking forward to the weekend (weekend). I don't see how you can't get on board with that!

Hüsker Dü.
Hüsker Don'ts.

*In terms of almost any band in almost any metal genre, I actually like it when bands get more melodic and write more complex music. Want to know why that is? Because in most cases the band is getting better. Sorry, not every metal band sounds better if they sound like it was recorded from an 80's boom box inside a garbage can.

*I rarely, RARELY believe anyone that says they liked a band's first album the best. In most cases they are trying to be HIPSTER GARBAGE!!!

*I don't really care for My Chemical Romance, but I like their first album. You could say I like their first album the best!
I think melodic metal takes a band from being only likeable by metalheads to being likeable by anyone.

First albums almost universally do suck.

Did you ever listen to Danger Days? I listened to Three Cheers in high school and didn't like it much, and then I saw the video for "Na Na Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na)" and loved it. The album is actually a concept piece in a Mad Max-ish post-apocalyptic world to make some social commentary. It's pretty great.

Zeldy
10-26-2012, 02:30 PM
I like the rasmus and spent a lot of money going to see them live (and i'm seeing them again in December AND I DONT CARE)

I hate new My Chemical Romance but love the older stuff.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Good metal and good jazz are close to the same thing, but if you mention this in mixed company, feelings get hurt.

Jowy
10-26-2012, 03:49 PM
fifteen minutes into "neon bible" and i have to recommend that Sam goes to get her ears checked out by a physician

Araciel
10-26-2012, 05:21 PM

In terms of overall instrumentation I'd say flat out that it's their best album.

You MONSTERS :cry:

Slothy
10-26-2012, 05:55 PM

You MONSTERS :cry:

Flattery will get you nowhere sir.

Night Fury
10-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Beyonce is amazing.
(probably an unpopular opinion with members of this forum)

I've been listening to Beyonce a lot lately, she's awesome. She can do sexy and still have class. I love her, she's a great modern female music icon and probably currently the best representative for her genre.

And she rocked it at Glasto

Goldenboko
10-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Funny how everyone complaining about The Beetles are also bad people :)

Slothy
10-26-2012, 07:37 PM

I have never claimed to be otherwise. But the Beatles are pretty terrible.

Goldenboko
10-26-2012, 07:46 PM

I have never claimed to be otherwise. But the Beatles are pretty terrible.

Like I said. Bad people. If you can't listen to "Let It Be", "Eleanor Rigby", "All You Need is Love", "Yellow Submarine", or "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and get some sort of sanctification out of one of them, you are a husk of a person in my book.

The Man
10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
"Yellow Submarine" is pretty bad, actually, but anyone who can't listen to the other songs you mentioned, "I Am the Walrus", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Happiness Is a Warm Gun", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "You Never Give Me Your Money", etc., and derive some form of enjoyment from it probably has something wrong with their ears.

Goldenboko
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM
I purposely picked it because it was other end of the spectrum. Saying, "The Beatles are bad" is a pretty large statement considering the overall quality and volume of work. Maybe you don't enjoy sad songs, maybe you don't enjoy happy ones, maybe you don't enjoy acid trips. But if you can't find a single thing by them you like, you don't really like anything. I also happen to love acid trips. :monster:

The Man
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
The acid trips are my favourite too, as is probably obvious from my choice of examples :monster:

Jowy
10-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Pinkerton is Weezer's best album.

The Man
10-26-2012, 07:57 PM

That's an unpopular opinion? I thought it was canonical by this point. Even Allmusic says it's their best album.

Goldenboko
10-26-2012, 08:02 PM
As for those who need to argue music complexity and repetition, , they have everything from the entirely simple "Come Together" (bum bum buuuuum, bum. bum bum buuuuum, bum.) to the almost confusing changes in "A Day in the Life". I fucking love The Beatles :colbert:

The Man
10-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I can't believe I didn't list "A Day in the Life" in my songs list :doublecolbert:

Jowy
10-26-2012, 09:33 PM

That's an unpopular opinion? I thought it was canonical by this point. Even Allmusic says it's their best album.

some people like the blue album more!

Shorty
10-26-2012, 09:34 PM
I am one of those people.

Jowy
10-26-2012, 09:37 PM
El Scorcho is better than the entire Blue Album.

Shorty
10-26-2012, 09:39 PM
oh I fucking lied, green album is my favorite

you are correct, sir

NorthernChaosGod
10-30-2012, 03:29 AM
You should right comedy.

The Beatles were mediocre, Nirvana sucked, Pink Floyd is overrated, and Billy Corgan is a horrible singer.

With you here. The Beatles are fucking booooooring.

Jowy
11-08-2012, 09:18 PM
lana del rey's "born to die" should be 2012's album of the year.

krissy
11-09-2012, 12:22 AM
i really liked 'video games'

Jowy
11-09-2012, 12:23 AM
check it:

Bliss n Eso x Lana Del Rey - Video Games - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVr3qTQUyBw)

Forsaken Lover
11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
As expected I see some Beatles heresy. Jesus will teach you the errors of your ways in the afterlife don't worry.

Anyway, my turn.

1. I don't care if she sucks in every other song she's ever sung, I think Celine Dion sounds good in "My Heart Will Go On".

2. I like most of the songs from Weber's Phantom of the Opera. Hating on him is a very common thing from what I've seen.

3. 80s hair metal is awesome.

Slothy
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
As expected I see some Beatles heresy. Jesus will teach you the errors of your ways in the afterlife don't worry.

There's not much that I believe in in this world, but there are two things I'm quite certain of:

1. The Beatles suck.

2. If there is a Jesus, I would put money on him not being the guy I see after I die. Luckily, I already enjoy the Devil's music.

Balzac
11-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Punk's not dead!

Forsaken Lover
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM

There's not much that I believe in in this world, but there are two things I'm quite certain of:

1. The Beatles suck.

2. If there is a Jesus, I would put money on him not being the guy I see after I die. Luckily, I already enjoy the Devil's music.

Well you're probably right. You'll see John Lennon when you die and he'll smack you for being so wrong.

Pete for President
11-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I have a hard time controlling my temper while reading this thread.

Immortal Rain
11-24-2012, 08:49 PM
lana del rey's "born to die" should be 2012's album of the year.
I second this. Also her Paradise EP was phenomenal.

Denmark
11-25-2012, 04:45 AM
oh I fucking lied, green album is my favorite

you are correct, sir

huh what what ahwahthathwhahwthahtwa

blue > green imo but i'm no weezer whiz guy

i don't have unpopular opinions because i'm a

oh maybe i guess i thought "Pretty. Odd" was better than "whatever the hell '''panic at the disco before they dropped the exclamation point''''s first album was called"

yeah i triple quoted instead of single quoting inside of the regular double quotes and there is an apostroff for possession in there you have problem

this is the bst post i've ever made

Jowy
11-25-2012, 04:49 AM
rob go to bed you can't spell "conflicted" correctly!

Shorty
11-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Green Album has more songs that I like on it!

man, I do not favor Pretty.Odd at alllll. best song on that album is Nine in the Afternoon and it got annoying as shit!

Jowy
11-25-2012, 07:35 AM
green album has island in the sun and o girlfriend.

blue album has my name is jonas, undone, buddy holly, say it ain't so, in the garage, only in dreams, suzanne, and mykel and carli

one is better than the other.

Denmark
11-25-2012, 07:49 AM
blue album has say it ain't so and sweater song full stop full stop (aka period aka end of motherfuckin sentence)

green album has hash pipe?

yeah my p(optional!)atd opinoin was the controversial one

also eric i couldn't spell "best" correctly but you chose "conflicted" which isn't even in that post :<3:

Jowy
11-25-2012, 08:36 AM
you repped me the following:

i want to say stop having my opinions but they're such good opinions so i'm fonclicted

Denmark
11-25-2012, 08:44 AM
as if that wasn't intentional

(i may not have the best memory but i can sure as hell spell if i put the effort toward it)

(while alcohol)

(booze)

Jowy
11-25-2012, 05:53 PM
i got a laugh out of it regardless of whether or not it was intentional!

Breine
11-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Coldplay is a horrible band. So is Muse. And Elvis is ridiculously overrated.

And while Nirvana might have been a decent band, they're also overrated.

Forsaken Lover
12-24-2012, 08:32 PM
I have a lot of guilty pleasures in terms of modern pop but after listening to two of her albums, I find myself legitimately liking Katy Perry. I think songs like "E.T. and "Teenage Dream" are quite good.

Screw you guys, I'm gonna go join the unwashed masses. They're at least happy. Happy and stupid is the way to be.

Shoden
12-24-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't like Thrash or Death Metal. Hell I cannot stand most of the new stuff at all, this Metalcore, Deathcore, Djent, Mathcore hoo dah. That stuff is absolutely massive up here and I'm sitting here following European Power Metal bands as well as 80s heavy metal/rock giants that still play the odd show and release the odd album.

I enjoy Dragonforce, I enjoy Venom, I enjoy Manowar. Bands who were ridiculed for many reasons, I just look to these angry roid rage bands trying to be people by adding obscure time changes and scales to be "unique" when the fact is they're supposed to be part of a form of music that's built on on riffs .

Death metal should have lyrics like Meatloaf's and not lyrics about bad, gruesome, gory, naughty things. No cheese? NO FUN! NO FUN!

maybee
12-25-2012, 01:36 AM
American Idol should stop. It's gone long passed stupid.

And it can't be unpopular because they keep on making fucking new seasons !

Balzac
12-25-2012, 02:09 AM
<a href="http://caninetooth.tumblr.com/post/38546313353">You're a bit of a bastard</a>