PDA

View Full Version : #trivia

WildRaubtier
10-27-2012, 01:47 PM
ARE YOU GOOD AT TRIVIA?

DO YOU LIKE COMPETING AGAINST OTHERS DIRECTLY IN A COMPETITION OF FINAL FANTASY KNOWLEDGE?

THINK YOU CAN BEAT MIKE "NERDFINGERS" THOMAS NAMING THE ELEMENTS OF THE PERIODIC TABLE?

THEN #TRIVIA IS FOR YOU!

For the uninitiated, #trivia is a separate channel on the chat server. If you're not too good at chat-related things in general, once you're in the chatroom you only need to type "/join #trivia" to participate. For those who remember the OLD #trivia, this is pretty much the same bot Jebus (http://home.eyesonff.com/members/8937.html) used to run, with some historic scores carried over and all of the themes we (http://home.eyesonff.com/members/6729.html) could find, plus others.

It's available 24/7! Yes, that means NOW! AND it's automated.

So, if you're a fan of chat, come on in and try it out! If you've never used the chat, use it as an excuse to try out chat! If you're in the middle, you still need to play #trivia damnit.

WildRaubtier
10-27-2012, 01:47 PM
THEMES

Currently, themes are as follows:
80s
80sFilm
80sTV
Art/Lit
Baseball
Capitals
CCross
CTrigger
Currencies
Elements
Entertainment
EoFF
EoFFScramble
FamilyGuy
Farscape
FF7
FFI-VI
FFScramble
FFT
FFVII-X
GenBlazer
GenChrono
GenDW
GenFF
Gengaming
GenRE
GenXeno
Geography
Harry Potter
History
Movies
Music
NetSlang
Phobias
Pokemon

It's a fast-paced theme based around small math problems. Additions/Subtractions range between 1-1 and 99-99, Multiplication between 1x1 and 50x99, and division between 1/1 and 99/99 (whole number answers only). Best played with a group!
Quotes
Sci/Nature
Scramble
ScramblePlus
ScramblePro
Simpsons
SNES
Sports
Sports/Leisure
Square-Music
StargateSG1
Startrek
TheBeatles
TV
WoT
Xenogears

(Additionally, there's the generic trivia containing nearly 230,000 questions.)

Don't see any themes you like? Make your own! In a plain-text editor of your choice, make a .txt file with each question on a new line. The format is as follows: "Question?*Answer*Alternate Answer".

For example, if you made a line such as "What is one plus one?*Two*2", The question would appear as "What is one plus one?", the 'official' answer (for hints, etc.) would be "Two", but 2 would also be an accepted answer.

If you feel like contributing, but don't want to make a new theme? That's fine, too! A lot of these existing themes are pretty sparse and could use some love. Jiro, for example, has volunteered to copy edit what amounts to a buttload of questions.

If you do make a theme, you'll need to get it to me somehow so I can add it to the bot. That's as simple as adding it as an attachment to a post in this thread, or as complicated as hosting it elsewhere on a site like dropbox or something, I don't know. Notifying me thought a PM afterwards would be handy, since then I'll know to check it out. Conversely, if you want to try adding some questions to a theme I'll happily send you the current file to ammend.

Shorty
10-27-2012, 03:26 PM
I am terrible at trivia and the only reason I would enter that room is to make the current worst player feel better about no longer being the current worst player.

Araciel
10-27-2012, 03:36 PM
WELCOME TO BUZZ

Jiro
10-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I love #trivia. WildRaubtier is a hero. KRABMEAT

WildRaubtier
10-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Looks like one Loony_BoB just submitted a theme based around EoFF itself! Also he's too lazy to ask for help in this thread, having make about 120 questions and getting bored.

So help him out, that the circlejerk can be complete.

Jowy
10-27-2012, 06:02 PM
totally just dunked you and rantzien at FFI-VI

Jiro
10-28-2012, 03:44 AM
SPIRTS OF TERRA

Futan
10-28-2012, 04:39 AM
SPIRTS OF TERRA

lol. Saw that today. Everyone typed Spirits of Terra like 5x each before someone got Spirts. XD

CimminyCricket
10-28-2012, 05:55 AM
I use to frequent the hell out of #trivia before I disappeared from chat for 6 months. We should schedule times to play! It would be really awesome to lose to most of you.

WildRaubtier
10-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Towns has submitted another self-indulgent EoFF-based theme, this time based on unscrambling members' usernames.

Sure was fun trying to get it to actually work :I

Shorty
10-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Suspicions confirmd: I am terrible at trivia.

WildRaubtier
10-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Non, you're just terrible.

Jiro
10-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Non, you're just terrible.

QFT

Shorty
10-30-2012, 03:41 AM
You two are terrible :aimmad:

Jiro
10-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Not quoted for lies and slander

WildRaubtier
11-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Lots of new themes today:

FFScramble
ScramblePlus
Art/Lit
Entertainment
Geography
History
Sports/Leisure
Sci/Nature

That brings the number of themes up to 49 and the total number of questions available to 350,000.

Come into #eoff on monday night to give the trivia a shot! :)

Jiro
11-05-2012, 06:13 AM
fucking more questions to copy edit you kent geddit it's a fucking pseudo homophone for what you are :argh:

Fujiko
11-05-2012, 07:27 AM
TRIVIAAAA! Everybody should join trivia every once in a while! It's super fun! It's okay if you're not a fast typer or you think others will be much better at it than you, or whatever's keeping you from joining! Just join and see for yourself! :love:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Sometimes I sneak into trivia when no one is around so I can have a high succession of win.

Never works. Either somebody comes in or I just can't answer in time.

My favorite trivia game is "We just did this round 20 minutes ago so lets see who can type in the memorized answer the fastest".

Jiro
11-05-2012, 12:01 PM
trivia happened in chat. I came into the round 10 points behind Loony BoB. Beat him. Official trivia king right here. See you all next monday to defend my crown

WildRaubtier
11-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Sometimes I sneak into trivia when no one is around so I can have a high succession of win.
This is kind of tragic, ever since I disabled the streak records.

Goldenboko
11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
maybe I'll try out #trivia for the first time tonight.

Wild, what does it take to add a new category?

WildRaubtier
11-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Some elbow grease, notepad and following the directions in the second post.

The format is as follows: "Question?*Answer*Alternate Answer".

For example, if you made a line such as "What is one plus one?*Two*2", The question would appear as "What is one plus one?", the 'official' answer (for hints, etc.) would be "Two", but 2 would also be an accepted answer.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
This is kind of tragic, ever since I disabled the streak records.

I'm glad I haven't done it in a while. What a waste of time that would be...:laughing:

WildRaubtier
06-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Final exams for the semester coming up, so now is obviously the best time to work on my poor trivia bot even though no one loves him anymore!

-ScramblePlus is now ScramblePro. It awards points differently to everything else now, due to being utterly ridiculous.
-ScramblePlus is still there, but it ought to use words that people have actually heard of.
-NetSlang added. l33t.
-The number of questions in Elements has been trebled.

In the known issues department (I have one of these now), the number of themes is too large to be displayed all at once using the !themes command, so the last two (WoT, Xenogears) are cut off. They're still there and playable. though. Soft work-around implemented!

WildRaubtier
07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Not -new-, but so far unannounced in this thread:

QuickMath
It's a fast-paced theme based around small math problems. Additions/Subtractions range between 1-1 and 99-99, Multiplication between 1x1 and 50x99, and division between 1/1 and 99/99 (whole number answers only). Best played with a group!

Rantz
07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Cool.

Formalhaut
07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
I've not even played #trivia yet. I probably should.

Yar
07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I try to love !trivia but fricken Meredy always ruins my fun

WildRaubtier
09-06-2014, 08:37 AM
IT WAS BROKEN

BUT I FIXED IT

I GUESS

go play nerds

Jowy
09-06-2014, 09:14 AM
i'm trying but nobody wants to play with me!

WildRaubtier
01-10-2015, 02:44 AM
New theme! Cryptic! With clues shamelessly plagiarised from these puzzle books I'm doing.

138 Q's so far. More as I actually solve them.