PDA

View Full Version : Rank the MAIN FF Villains!

Rodney
10-27-2012, 01:48 PM
This is my tenth and last of my series of poll threads, which I was supposed to have started months ago, but somehow never got around to it. I probably got lazy. I don't know. But whatever. I'm finally getting it up.

After ranking all of the main playable characters in each FF game from 4 through 13, I'm now making a poll on which you can all rank the people most opposed to the characters: the main villains and antagonists of each game. The ones whom I looked up and got confirmation were the ACTUAL main villains and antagonists of their games. Some were developed very well, while others were not. Some were awesome, some were lame, and some were somewhere in between. Some had fantastic evil plots to destroy their worlds, and some had pretty mild ones. And some worked just fine as the main villains, while some would probably have been better off passing the torch to better, more awesome villains in their games.

Where do they rank for you? Here are mine:

1. Kefka: Numbers one and two were both pretty close for me, because hey, you've gotta give some props to the villains who actually did accomplish their goals (or the vast majority of them). I put the clown up at the top because of one main reason. He was the ONLY one to definitively take over the world. Yes, he only held onto his reign for a year, but in FF, even that's a long time! Also, it was interesting that he was one of the only two constantly-fought villains who actually got stronger as Terra and the others fought him throughout the game. Also, the moment he overthrew Gestahl was a HUGE turning point in FF6. Also, the "self-help booklet" remark prior to the final battle was hilarious!

There are some cons to him, though. For starters, his theme didn't real sound all that evil. It sounded as clownish as he looked. Also, as much as it did the trick in demonstrating just how crazy and evil he was . . . I never could get over Doma. That was extreme and totally unnecessary.

2. Barthandelus: The Lord Sovereign Fal'Cie rules above all (well, all but one) mainly for his evil plan. I mean, he pretty much lays out for Lightning and the rest of the party exactly what their Focus is (destroying Cocoon by killing Orphan). They all resolve not to do that. Yet instead of just waiting for their brands to fully advance so they could go Cie'th, they . . . get masterfully spurned on by Barthandelus and eventually wind up doing exactly what they resolved not to do. Seriously. The guy had a plan, and he manipulated every single thing to make sure it was seen through. I don't know how he was able to get them to forget all about their resolve to not go through with things, but he did, and that? Is bad-ass. Plus, as a more trivial thing, I've recently come to positively love a good evil laugh, and his voice actor gave him the BEST evil laugh a villain could have in the series, bar none. (IMO, at least.) You really get the evil vibe from him almost entirely due to it.

The cons to him, though? Well, if I'm thinking that at least one of the other villains would've been better as the main villain in your stead, you're not getting top honors. While I respect his plot, I absolutely think FF13 would've been better off had they left Jihl as its villain rather than suddenly kill her off just to unmask Barthandelus. He was brought in so late as a result, and I would've liked for him to have had more meat to him, you know? His evil plan was great and well-thought-out, but he was sorely lacking in the personality department. Jihl, by comparison, already had plenty of it that we were seeing (the bulk of it coming out when she started freaking out over the party breaking through the Palamecia's defenses).

3. Seymour: Yes, people. I consider him the main villain of FF10. Not Jecht. Not Sin. (And so does FF Wiki.) If you're not directly opposing the party at almost every step, or if you're destroying the world unintentionally, you ain't the main opposing force. You only are if you are intentionally looking to rule or destroy the world. But anyway, probably one of the more fleshed-out villains, I actually enjoyed what Seymour brought to FF10. I liked a lot of his lines before Tidus and the rest of the party's battles with him, and I even liked his delusions. Largely because as misguided as he was, I still totally got what he was after. He was actually someone who genuinely thought that he'd be helping Spira by destroying it and saving everyone from further pain that Sin brought them. Granted, it was "totally nuts," as Tidus called it, but still, I totally got what he was driving at. It wasn't anything that made me basically say, "WTF?!" about it. So for having an understandable method to his madness, Seymour gets number three. And only number three because he actually didn't come anywhere near getting to his goals. And for more trivial matters, I also liked his evil laugh, even if it was a bit higher-pitched than most villains' laughs.

Cons? All of his unnecessary kills -- Kinoc, Kelk, most of the other Ronso, you name it. But that's pretty much it.

4. Sephiroth: I'm honestly surprised I'm ranking him in the top half, but I am. But it's not for personality reasons. I've just gotta admire someone who could so ably control the situation and get his main target of manipulation to oh-so-easily give him the means of destroying The Planet. That was . . . something to be seen.

So many cons to list, but I'll list them, anyway. Like I said, his personality? Hated it. Hated the reason he went crazy. Hated most of the other things he did. And then, the one crucial thing he did that I've NEVER forgiven. Killing poor Aeris and then having the gall to SMILE over it. So . . . yeah. Not a fan of him otherwise, for all of those reasons.

5. Ultimecia: The thing I kinda liked about Ultimecia and thought was interesting about her is that for years, I thought she was completely tacked on as a villain, but then came to realize, after giving it some thought, that she really was there all along. We saw hints of who she was, personality-wise, through her possession of Edea. The possessed Edea actually acted more like Ultimecia and exhibited her particular taste in Victorian-style dress and artwork. She actually talked like her (save for the "c" sounds being "k" sounds instead). And yet, Squall and the party, despite knowing Edea from their youth, never guessed that anything was wrong. It was an interesting way of hiding her. So for this interesting new way of revealing the villain alone, I've put the sorceress from the future at number five.

Cons, though? Well, two. She still should've seen a lot sooner than she was. And as I played FF8, I still didn't quite get what her plot was. I don't think it was ever even hinted at. It took reading FF Wiki to figure out why she was obsessed with taking down SeeD. FF's first major female villain was good in theory, but needed a lot more done in practice to make her more viable as the villain. Due to these gripes, I almost would've just had Adel be behind things, controlling everything despite being sealed in space.

6. Kuja: To be honest, six through nine is where I get to my more interchangeable villains. I did appreciate a lot of what Kuja did in FF9. You can say what you will about him, but he got trout done. He got Brahne to declare war on kingdoms, kill people, and disrupt the world's flow of souls. He stole eidolons. He took control of them with just a single airship. And he made one of the biggest, best power shifts by overthrowing Brahne the way he did. He also managed to get Zidane and the party to do his dirty work for him in getting the Gulug Stone from Oeilvert with pretty much no resistance. And he was as cool as a cucumber the entire time.

Cons? Well, yes. One of them being the times he wasn't as cool as a cucumber. I think Kuja's probably the villain who had more panicky moments than others. Mainly the times he was eager and desperate to stop Garland from taking his soul away from him, or replacing it with that of someone from Terra. Also, when he started to lose his cool with Zorn and Thorn on Mt. Gulug. And let's not forget his crybaby breakdown and subsequent descent into madness when he learned of his own impending mortality. Too bad all of these happened, because he would've been great without them. Oh, and while I'm at this, I still very much resent that, once he overthrew Brahne, the entire rest of FF9's story basically just became Zidane vs. Kuja.

7. Vayne: His low ranking is not to say that I dislike him. Quite the opposite. I quite liked Vayne. He was another master manipulator who pretty much fooled almost everyone into buying what he was selling. Also, I found it kinda neat that he was both the second main villain to commit patricide (first being Seymour), actually made no bones about it, and, unlike Seymour, actually offed the person who found out and tried to do something about it (Drace). And I actually dug his overall design. And the fact that without him, there'd be no Larsa to be getting trout done to try and get to the bottom of what he was doing and then actively oppose his efforts with the help of Vaan and the party.

However, I've reached the cons to him. They didn't really draw out his plot enough. I felt like I went through the whole game with no clear idea of what Vayne was after. FF Wiki (and plotholeman) had to clear that up for me. Probably more glaring was that after his early appearance in FF12, when he talked to Migelo, I totally forgot that he was even in the game (save for the occasional mentions) until he finally popped up in a cutscene over halfway through the game. The best villains are seen a lot more often in addition to being mentions. Also, when there's someone who would've been a better main villain then you, you weren't the best choice on the designers' part. Easily, Dr. Cid, who actually had a connection to one of the party members (Balthier), or perhaps one of the judges (maybe Ghis, since he was introduced early enough) should've been the main villain of FF12, IMO. I liked Vayne as a villain for sure. But . . . just not the main one.

8. Exdeath: The bottom two are main as such because I feel like there could've been more done with them, but there just wasn't. Still, Exdeath is kept out of the bottom spot just for being the first villain to actually permanently kill off a party member (though Sephiroth was the first to permanently kill off a party member and her abilities, while Exdeath's killing just resulted in his victim's abilities being transferred to someone else). Oh, and actually merging the world back together as its original form after it'd previously been divided into two different worlds. That was definitely a surprise. Ah, and for being the first villain to actually come anywhere close to ruling the world (by sending most places into the Void). Caused a mess of trouble for Bartz and the party.

Still, there are cons. He's really not developed beyond being a warlock who was trapped in a tree. Or was he the tree itself? I don't know, and they don't really make it clear. But basically, he's one-dimensional. All he talks about is the Void. There's nothing else to him. There's just no "there" there. Even more so in the Dissidia games, when he's only obsessed with fighting and killing Bartz and Kain. Still, he's more of a villain than the next one.

9. Golbez: About the only things I like about Golbez are that he does set himself up as a force to be reckoned with by Cecil and the party early on with his destruction of Damcyan and Fabul, and that he's the first villain to actually be linked to a party member (Cecil). And the fact that he was strong enough to take control of Kain so many times and so easily was another thing to be seen. But that's about it.

The main con I have with him is this. If you're really only the villain because you're possessed by a much stronger, more sinister force, can you really be called a villain? I think Zemus or Zeromus or whatever he's called just should've been the villain from the beginning instead of just using Golbez.

I left out the Shadow Lord (FF11) and Nael (FF14) because they're the main villains of the online FFs. And let's face it. A lot of us don't play the online games. But I have them listed as choices in the poll if you have played their games and like one of them the best.

But anyway, these are just my rankings. How about everyone else's?

Laddy
10-27-2012, 02:07 PM
1. Kefka
2. Kuja
3. Sephiroth
4. Golbez
5. Ultimecia
6. Exdeath
7. Vayne
8. Barthandelus
9. Seymour

I'll probably include a write-up later, but I'm tired now.

Formalhaut
10-27-2012, 02:09 PM
What about the Cloud of Darkness, the Emperor and Garland/Chaos?

VeloZer0
10-27-2012, 03:42 PM
That is what I was just about to ask.

Flying Arrow
10-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I voted Seph, but only because you didn't include Jenova or the Shinra squad. And I would have only picked either of those because you didn't include Sin.

Rodney
10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
What about the Cloud of Darkness, the Emperor and Garland/Chaos?
Garland/Chaos was not developed enough, nor was the Emperor. As for the Cloud of Darkness, she was the final boss, but even today, I'm still not sure if she was actually FF3's main villain, or if Xande was. And even then, both choices were so undeveloped. So whichever one it really was, they were left out, anyway. Sorry.

So it's those eleven or nothing.

maybee
10-28-2012, 04:49 AM
I disagree that Garland, Paramecia and Xande are underdeveloped. Just look at what they did. Garland controlled time to always be in control and thus the world to be always miserable. Paramecia took over Heaven, Hell and Earth. He basically took over everything making him one of the strongest villains in FF history.

Xande summoned Dark Cloud a very powerful being and monster and tried to control the world with darkness. Though being weaker of the three NES villians what he did was still impressive.

VeloZer0
10-28-2012, 05:59 AM
If they were so underdeveloped it wouldn't have hurt to put them in because they wouldn't have gotten any votes.

Del Murder
10-28-2012, 06:51 AM
1. Kefka - crazy mothersmurfer who actually destroyed the world
2. Kuja - has a powerful personal reason for doing what he does
3. Sephiroth - such an imposing figure throughout the entire game
4. Vayne - Politicial adversary with a hunger for power, Vayne makes an early and lasting impression
5. Golbez - always had the upper hand and such chilling entrance music
6. Barthandelus - a real bastard and stands out mostly due to the lack of NPCs in this game
7. Exdeath - one dimensional but a consistent threat through the entire game
8. Shadow Lord - has an interesting personal story though you don't see him much until you fight him
9. Garland - an interesting twist on his motives/purpose but hard to have a lot of character development in an 8-bit game
10. Emperor - Going against the evil empire a cool concept at the time but in today's era we need more
11. Seymour - he has some development but I never really found him to be much of a threat compared to Sin
12. Ultimecia - not revealed as the villain until late and motivations are confusing
13. Cloud of Darkness - not a lot of development which makes her appearance anti-climactic

maybee
10-29-2012, 11:20 AM
If they were so underdeveloped it wouldn't have hurt to put them in because they wouldn't have gotten any votes.

I disagree. Low votes yes, but not zero votes.

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2012, 01:53 PM
I voted Vayne, but he's not actually my number one. Well, kind of. What I love about Vayne is that he's not really a villain; he's a shrewd and ruthless politician from the opposing party. Obviously, at the end things get a bit "PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER :mwahaha:"-ey, but even then that wasn't really Vayne. That was the Occuria acting like dicks. The Occuria are the villains of FFXII, not Arcadia or its leaders. If Vayne existed it real life, it would be completely unjustifiable to hunt him down and kill him. This is not something I felt with any of the other villains.

Second (or first? I've confused myself) is Kefka. However, I have a point of contention. The fact that he destroyed the world is often used as the reason why he's the best villain - he succeeded, so he wins the villain Olympics. I don't like this. First off, his destroying the world was not by any means the most villainous thing he did. Anyone can move statues; someone could've done it by mistake (had they stumbled across the Esper world just at the appropriate time :D). Similarly, after having destroyed the world and become uber powerful, I didn't find him that evil. By that point, he was just a normal villain. Boring, almost. Kefka's greatest villainy comes before all this. He poisons an entire city of people, just for laughs. He wasn't ordered to; he just wanted to, because he's an evil, evil bastard. His manipulation of... well, pretty much everyone is just fantastic and is the kind of thing that I consider the ultimate villainy. Death and destruction is child's play; malevolence and trickery are a whole new level. :radred:

nthly, Kuja. Kuja is one of the few villains who has an intensely personal reason for being a villain. Many of the others are simply bad guys, whereas Kuja is just a guy. He goes through some shit, gets his life ruined and reacts in a completely natural and believable way (i.e. bloody murder). He's genuinely threatening, and gets points for being able to create this aura of discontent whenever he's on screen, despite looking like the ponciest ponce in the village (of Bran Bal! :monster:).

Sephiroth is a weird one for me. He's best when he's not there. The whole game fears him; every NPC, every playable character, every piece of music works to create this terrifying idea of him. When he's actually on screen, who cares? He's just an enemy. His presence, rather than his actions, makes him one of the best villains of the series.

Heath
11-01-2012, 10:30 PM
For me, the order is:

Kuja
Kefka
Vayne
Exdeath
Sephiroth
Golbez
Seymour
Ultimecia

In ascending order:

Ultimecia I found to be a really weak villain. I much preferred Edea as the villain to Ultimecia, even if the latter was possessing the former. She appeared almost out of nowhere, and didn't really impress when you found out about her.

Seymour I never really took to. I think he was rather creepy and played the part of the villain reasonably well but I never really looked forward to seeing him on screen, or felt particularly compelled by his reasons for being a villain. About the best thing I can really say about him is that the boss battles with him were all good fun, and the last one had some excellent music.

Golbez is another that falls into the brainwashed category. I think he's a reasonably cool villain during the game, even if all isn't as it seems. I find him to be one of those villains I don't have a particularly strong view on.

Sephiroth, I think I've always been a bit unimpressed by because I was slightly contrary. However, I do think he has his own strengths. The fact that he did have such an impression on gamers, is still slightly revered by fans and still has a certain mysticism around him I think is an indication that shows that he's got a certain something about him. I don't think he's a poor villain, but definitely one I think I rate higher on style than substance. Not least because we barely see the real him in the game.

Exdeath, I've always liked but never been able to quite put my finger on why. He has some awesome music and a pretty imposing character design. I think I liked hearing about him in the past against the four original heroes, and also the set piece battles that he's involved in (e.g. Battle on the Big Bridge).

When it comes to the next three, these are the ones I'm more impressed by. I can see the criticism of Vayne that people have mentioned already, such as that he isn't visible for most of the game. That, however, is something I liked about Vayne. He's a much more subtle operator. He's behind the scenes pulling the strings and playing the master manipulator role so well. He's a much more political sort of villain, and that was something I liked. I also liked uncovering the extent of his plans and schemes, and how he committed patricide.

Kefka, well, what needs to be said? An absolutely insane piece of work. I think he's a very impressive villain, both in terms of what he does and what he is. A man who sacrificed his own sanity in the quest for magical power, and who didn't hesitate in poisoning a river to kill the inhabitants of a castle. Who felt no guilt for killing the honourable Leo, or for overthrowing his own emperor. That and he's one of the most standout memorable villains I've come across in video games.

Kuja, I've always had a soft spot for. I think he's a successful villain - he broadly achieves what he sets out to achieve. Perhaps not as successfully as Kefka, but I think he had less to work with. He schemes to bring the entire Mist Continent to war, masterminds the assaults on Cleyra and Burmecia, and unleashes the Eidolons on the world. He destroys an entire freakin' planet too, in what has to be one of the most awesome hissy fits of all time. I think he has a strong mix of intelligence, a certain amount of style, raw power and the ability to manipulate and scheme to be my favourite villain. He's a man that knows when to run and when to fight. Most importantly, I think we also get to see more of him as a person than we do the other villains. We see him at moments of reflection and weakness, as well as strength and pride. In spite of having a rather questionable dress sense, he remains my favourite FF villain.

Red Mage Coffman
11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I never really liked any of the villains. Kefka and Sephiroth were probably my favorites, both clashing with each other for first place. I always thought Kuja was really... how shall I say... Non-threantening. Jecht was the best Captain Jack Sparrow cosplayer to ever live, Seymour was really, REALLY annoying and his hair, or antlers, makes me lol every time I see him, Sin is your typical world eating, all powerful monster, no real interest there. The only thing I thought was evil about Exdeath was that he might give me a splinter. Kidding of course, but Exdeath, to me, was another typical villain. Wanting to destroy everything. Golbez was controlled so can he even be counted on my list? No. Ultimecia was just... boring and had no motive whatsoever, but to appear out of thin air and compress the world for no reason. Yeah, no reason. BORING. Kefka takes the cake for being simple, yet having a motivation that made me hate his guts. Sephiroth, being the foil, was not simple, but I still hated his guts for killing Aerith. That bastard. Garland was meh, his plan was okay. Even though it was a paradox. The Emperor I liked to some extent. I liked him cause I hated his guts. For what is was worth, God from Final Fantasy Legends was pretty cool. Who can top a guy like that, creating the world and its problems JUST to be entertained? Plus his weakness was chainsaws! What a cool, unlogical weakness! But yeah. There you have it. God or Creator, is 1st, Kefka is 2nd, Spehiroth is 3rd. Everyone else can take a hike.

The Man
11-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Good to see Kuja and Kefka beating Sephiroth. I do kind of wish Golbez had more votes though.

I haven't played enough of the series to rank them all, but of the ones I've played I would probably say Kefka > Kuja > Golbez > Sephiroth > Seymour and Exdeath. Not that Exdeath was a particularly bad villain, but he didn't have much personality. Seymour did have personality, but somehow wasn't as threatening as a lot of the other villains.

Wolf Kanno
11-02-2012, 08:47 PM
My favorite list and my actual best villain list are a bit different, I would probably knock my number one entry down to fourth place and jump everyone else up from there a notch if I was doing who I felt was the best villain.

In descending order of my favorites:
14. Nael
Pros: He's an FF villain?

Cons: He/she/it's in a game I don't really intend to play which is why he's ranked at the bottom of this list. I'm sure he/she/it has a great story and battle sequence but since it's for an MMO and I learned with XI I don't do MMO's I will never see this villain beyond it's FF Wiki entry.

Boss Battle: N/A

13. Bathandulus
Pros: He's a villain I actually enjoyed curb stomping him because I hated him.

Cons: I didn't hate him cause he was a well written villain, he's just this non-entity in the plot who keeps showing up to be annoying and his backstory and master plan are ultimately stupid due to the failure of the game to actually logically fill you in on the details of the game's world as well as why I should care about whether some mostly non-existent NPC's get killed so his villainy is largely for nothing since I couldn't be asked to care about what he was doing or the fate of humanity. .

Boss Battle: Mostly lame, its basically a battle where you just switch between a defensive gambit and a offensive gambit set and the only real challenge of the fight is killing him quickly before he uses Doom and abuses the game's lousy auto-gameover if the leader dies rule, which mostly sets you back before his boss fight and mostly involves you having to skip over his crummy dialogue so you can try again.

12. Shadow Lord
Pros: Actually has a pretty good backstory. I liked how it parallels the grander social-political issues of Vandiel (though it technically causes a lot of them including the conflicts between Humes and Galka) so he's pretty important to the story and a good revenge tale is hard to come by.

Cons: He is a major villain of a genre of games I don't play, even though I did play XI, I never actually got to really meet this guy. So my knowledge of him is largely from reading wikia entries on him. Also, Shadow Lord? Seriously? Ten games with frightful colorful villains, and in your first foray into the MMO arena the best name you could come up with was Shadow Lord?!

Boss Battle: N/A and yes I'm aware I ranked a villain I never met over one I did, Barty just irritates me that much. :p

11. Seymour Guado
Pros:

Cons:

Boss Battle:

10. Garland/Chaos
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
9. Ultimecia
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
8. Vayne Solidor
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
7. Emperor Mateus Palamecian
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
6. Xande
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
5. Sephiroth
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
4. ExDeath
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
3. Kuja
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
2. Golbez
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:
1. Kefka Palazzo
Pros:
Cons:
Boss Battle:

When I have more free time to kill, I'll expand this list.

Del Murder
11-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Did you forget FFXII? You have Garland on there twice.

Wolf Kanno
11-02-2012, 11:36 PM
I actually forgot about Bathandulus and in trying to figure out where to put him I lost Vayne in the shuffle.

Tigmafuzz
11-03-2012, 02:40 AM
I love how many votes there are for Kefka :bigsmile:

Omni-Odin
11-10-2012, 04:33 AM
I voted Sephiroth. Pure adrenaline for me when he's in certain scenes. And if I were to rank them myself it might go something like:

12) Cloud of Darkness (III)
11) The Emperor (II)
10) Ex-Death (V)
9) Barthandalus (XIII)
8) Seymour (X)
7) Garland (I)
6) Golbez (IV)
5) Ultimecia (VIII)
4) Kuja (IX)
3) Kefka (VI)
2) Vayne (XII)
1) Sephiroth (VII)

Sephiroth
12-07-2013, 04:27 PM
This is my list:

Sephiroth
Baron Kuja King
Caius Ballad
Maester Seymour Guado
Genesis Rhapsodos
Doctor Hojo
Emperor Vayne Cardias Solidor
Kefka Palazzo
Barthandelus
Lord X-Death
Bhunivelze
Ultimecia
Emperor Mateus Palmecia
Zemus
Xande
Garland

Heath, we always see the real Sephiroth in the story. Check his abilities, please. Other body, one consciousness.

Elskidor
12-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Kefka..no contest here.

A race between Kefka, Sephiroth and Kuja...not surprised for those seem to be the most popular games in the EOFF community.

Forsaken Lover
12-07-2013, 04:44 PM
The praise for Vayne Solidor mystifies me. This is one of the rare bastions of enlightenment where FFXII gets teh credit it deserves but Vayne was not a very good villain. And make no mistake, he was a vilain.

Sephiroth
12-07-2013, 04:48 PM
The praise for Vayne Solidor mystifies me. This is one of the rare bastions of enlightenment where FFXII gets teh credit it deserves but Vayne was not a very good villain. And make no mistake, he was a vilain.

Half of the villains half a very short story so Vayne can ascend easily with his appearance and character. And I thought he was okay.

Ayen
12-08-2013, 09:01 AM
None of the above. Sin, don't care what the wiki says, Sin. Jecht was the guy representing the villain side of things in X on Dissidia so I'm pretty sure he counts, otherwise Seymour would have been included. Seymour is more of a secondary villain, Sin is the one everyone is trying to stop and making everyone lives hell. Had Garland/Chaos been up there I would have voted for him. Creating a time loop to live forever is pretty villainous and any lack of personality on his part was fleshed out in Dissidia.

I either don't know or don't care much for the others on the list.

Forsaken Lover
12-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Dissidia also used Golbez instead of Zemus and it's canon that the former was just a puppet of the latter, always doing his will. He was never even a villain.

Similarly, even if you discount Seymour, Jecht isn't a villain either. Sin is just a mindless beast and it's actually under the control of Yu Yevon.

Ayen
12-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Dissidia also used Golbez instead of Zemus and it's canon that the former was just a puppet of the latter, always doing his will. He was never even a villain.

Similarly, even if you discount Seymour, Jecht isn't a villain either. Sin is just a mindless beast and it's actually under the control of Yu Yevon.

Didn't know that about Golbez. Villain is probably the wrong word to use for Sin, antagonist more like.

That just means Garland gets my written vote.