PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3

Freya
10-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Assassin's Creed 3 is here and I have to sleep cause I work in the morning. I HAVE IT. I just can't play it :(

Let's talk about all things AC3

Wolf Kanno
10-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm picking mine up in the morning before class. Sadly, I probably won't be able to get to it for awhile so this will probably be my last post in this thread. :(

Skyblade
10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
I am still debating whether or not to get this, actually. I've preordered it, but I'm still not sure its worth it. I don't want this to be another 60 dollar expansion pack for ACII.

And some of the rumors I've heard about the story don't give me much hope for it. I never really liked the stories anyway (ACII having the best, in my opinion), but...

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm going to watch a Let's Play because I am still unable to play games. :(

Freya
10-30-2012, 02:23 PM
It's not an expansion to AC2. It's a whole new character to think so is silly. You shouldn't be playing games for the endings, if you do that then just watch the endings of someone else's game. You play games for the whole story. I'm excited however it ends up.

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Due to all the videos I've watched, I've decided I'm not too impressed with young Connor. It was always going to be difficult following Ezio, the Pimp of Time, but still... he's not looking quite so ball-tinglingly awesome as of yet. :(

I am expecting my impression to be false, however, since Assassin's Creed is brilliant. xD

Skyblade
10-30-2012, 03:51 PM
It's not an expansion to AC2. It's a whole new character to think so is silly. You shouldn't be playing games for the endings, if you do that then just watch the endings of someone else's game. You play games for the whole story. I'm excited however it ends up.

AC Brotherhood and Revelations were just copies of ACII with new maps. I'm afraid ACIII will follow the same path, regardless of the protagonist.

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2012, 03:56 PM
It's running off a new engine, every character animation is new, the setting is new, the story is new, the characters are all new, the weapons are new, the fighting style is new, the events that drive the story are all new, the multiplayer is new, the cover art is new, the save file will be different.

The controls will be similarly/identical fluid and easy-to-badass.

Psychotic
10-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Fixed the thread title for you.

Madame Adequate
10-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I cannot wait for this game I should be getting it tomorrow I hope :excited:

Del Murder
10-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Fixed the thread title for you.

Psychotic
10-30-2012, 07:42 PM
oh alright let's just agree to disagree

Skyblade
10-30-2012, 07:45 PM
America has no indigenous people, only ones who migrated earlier than others.

Bunny
10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
America has no indigenous people, only ones who migrated earlier than others.

Yes it does?

Someone tell me if this is good and if I would like it if I have not been sold on the rest of the series as being worth time and money yet.

Jowy
10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
i thought this was a spambot thread at first.

I should really sit down and play AC1. It hasn't left my shelf in at least two years.

DMKA
10-31-2012, 03:26 AM
I've been playing for a few hours now. It's pretty spectacular so far.

For those of you afraid of it being another ACII expansion, like Brotherhood and Revelations were, it's not. It honestly feels like a new game this time around.

It's also gotten stellar reviews, if that matters to anyone. Even though I've heard rumors about the ending that I really don't like, I have faith that I won't be entirely let down.

It really feels so odd...and at the same time, a breath of fresh air...to be playing in a setting where there's no really tall structures to climb all the way up and jump off of. :p

krissy
10-31-2012, 06:03 AM
guys please remember to use spoiler tags for the next two years or so
ok thanks

Skyblade
10-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Ok, this game is trying to be new, which is good. It will take some getting used to, but could well wind up better.

A lot if the redundancies have been cut out. You no longer have to hold the R1 Button when in combat because fighting in Low Profile mode was entirely pointless. It has shifted combat quite a bit, and I'll have to see how it works out.

Two issues with it so far.

First, Viewpoints. If you plan to go Viewpoint hunting, kill your sound. Some complete IDIOT at Ubisoft decided to make an annoying tonal ring both as you climb close to one, and as you synchronize with it. And then decided to make it play every time, at twice the volume of every other sound in the game. I had the volume turned so low I couldn't hear gunfire and I could hear this sound clearly. The person in charge of that sound direction needs to be shot.

My second problem is semi-spoilery. Although I'm sure everyone will realize it pretty fast once they start playing. You know that Conner guy they showed in the trailers and previews? The one who's supposed to be the main character? Yeah, is he actually IN this game? Kingdom Hearts 2 didn't take this long to give us control of the main character.

Henry Pease
10-31-2012, 08:14 AM
well I have planned to play this game on the coming weekend as it is really looking more exciting. I thing it will pleased me more than the Battlefield.

Freya
10-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Wow skyblade, you're really against this game, wanting to find anything wrong with it. They have said that the game will take place throughout connor's ENTIRE life. So Of course we have to see how he's come about ;)

Quindiana Jones
10-31-2012, 03:41 PM
I resent the implication that Brotherhood was just an expansion pack and you're all :bou::bou::bou::bou:s for saying so. :sadcolbert:

I dunno, KC. Skyblade's first point seems valid enough. I hate it when there are annoying sounds, and I'm also not of fan of using sounds to identify things. I think it cuts down on the joy of treasure hunting xD. Whether or not it's actually that annoying, I'll have to find out.

Skyblade
10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow skyblade, you're really against this game, wanting to find anything wrong with it. They have said that the game will take place throughout connor's ENTIRE life. So Of course we have to see how he's come about ;)

We already had a game featuring Ezio's entire life. It didn't start this slow. This intro is taking way too long, and doesn't seem to be wrapping up anytime soon. I actually like Haythem, but since we know this is all temporary, it's hard to get invested. It really does feel like KH2, where you had that huge intro as Roxas that just dragged on and on (and all the money he gathered got stolen anyway).

And, as I said, if you go hunting for the Viewpoints, trying to reveal the whole map, that sound will get annoying as hell. It's not pleasant, it's extremely repetitive, and very loud.

And, actually, I'm quite enjoying the game so far. I just wanted to complain about the issues that annoyed me.

New problem! Apparently the game doesn't save your control settings. I play with double Inverted controls, and I had to reset them once I booted the game up for the second time. They'd better fix that. :(

Another new problem, basically making me stuck in the game: Required quick time events. Oh, yay.

Madame Adequate
11-02-2012, 01:17 AM
As this arrived today I've been playing it and frankly I'd be perfectly happy being Haytham the whole time because he's classy as fuck, so I can't really complain about the long intro.

Weirdly though the controls all feel just a touch less fluid and natural than previous ACs. I'm not sure if that's just me or what.

Pike
11-02-2012, 01:22 AM
As someone who never played the other Assassin's Creed games other than brief demos and such I am loving this game.

Those costumes

That fantastic boat ride intro

That Haytham being the best person in the world

BOARD GAMES

Petting all the animals

I hate that you were only on the boat for like... four "days". I wanted a day for all 75 of them or however long it took. :excited:

krissy
11-02-2012, 08:44 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-ZvJMcgn/0/L/i-ZvJMcgn-L.jpg

Freya
11-02-2012, 11:26 PM
I have attempted the multiplayer. I miss the circle identifier :( Still lots of fun though.

Kirobaito
11-04-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm on sequence 10 sometime. I played for ten hours yesterday and didn't actually advance the plot at all. That's what makes AC post-1 games so fun. Before I do anything else, I HAVE to recruit my brotherhood and free the districts and get all the viewpoints and chests and almanac pages and homestead missions. I will say, though, that I have no idea how to do the fast-travel points in the Frontier. That makes it really annoying because I don't know where ANY of them are and it takes forever to get around. To get to Valley Forge, I have to go to the Native American village and then walk/ride 800 units (feet? meters? whatever they are).

The homestead managing is a lot of work, though, and not all that worth it, I don't think.

Freya
11-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Having a conversation with Benjamin Franklin about why you should take an older woman as a lover was too amusing.

Madame Adequate
11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
That was the best part!

Kirobaito
11-06-2012, 08:08 AM
And game beaten. I haven't checked my percentage and probably won't for a while. I cleared all the viewpoints, naval missions, Kidd missions, and almanac pages, but have a lot of chests to get and almost all of the feathers. I did all the homestead missions except for the encyclopedia. Lots of fun. I didn't care for the (real-world) ending, but there's really nothing about the modern-day events that I've liked in the entire series. I'd rather just play the historical assassins and leave the weird pseudo Roman god stuff out of it.

G13
11-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Was I the only one who didn't care for the Connor side of the story? Memories didn't flow as naturally as previous installments and I almost had a fit when Haytham made the scene and referred to Connor as "son" like he knew of his existence the whole time. Everybody seemed to make that connection a little too naturally for me to really buy into it. I was really just looking forward to the Desmond bits throughout the game.

Connor is also probably the worst Assassin yet, and I'm tossing ol' one armed Malik and his dead brother, along with all the carbon copy drones from 1 and the Brotherhood/Revelations initiates, in that mix. Seriously, who the hell talks so damn much about the time for talk being over and then walks right the smurf up to target to have a conversation!? :irked:

And what's up with the ending! That's not a question, I'm just like... I don't even know! I hate it and love it at the same time. I want to be angry but I can't seem to find the energy for it. We spent so much time getting Desmond trained with the Animus and he used those newfound abilities for like five minutes.

Only a few whines, really. Overall I really enjoyed the game. I loved that they added Cross as an enemy, and when you get to use the Apple to shoot Vidic in the face, I think I might have woken up the house with how loudly I cheered. And the Aquila reference made me giddy... Now that I think about it, I think I may have just liked the nods to the other stories. :greenie:

Psychotic
12-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Got it for Christmas. Kenway is one dapper mothersmurfer! He should've been the main guy throughout, I don't give a smurf. Also I'm having a lot of fun writing one of history's greatest wrongs by murdering ne'er-do-wells like George Washington and winning the War of Independence for the good guys :)

The frontier is an interesting turn for the AC series although I can't help but think "Red Dead did this first". The tree parkour is neat though.