PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars trilogy: Round 3

Spawn of Sephiroth
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Well, just announced. Disney bought Lucasfilm and the Star Wars rights from Mr. Lucas who is now going to be a "consultant" for the new franchise that starts with an Episode VII movie in 2015. Seriously bad idea IMO

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4 BILLION -- NEW STARS WARS ANNOUNCED | TMZ.com (http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/30/disney-lucasfilm-purchase-4-billion-new-star-wars-movie-episode-7/)

Flying Mullet
10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
The ultimate sellout.

Ouch!
10-30-2012, 09:52 PM
How is this a bad idea? If there's anything that recent years have proven is that the best stuff happens in the Star Wars universe happens when one of two criteria is met:

1. Someone is around to give creative oversight to Lucas's imagination (the original trilogy)
2. Lucas lets other people run wild with the world (books, The Old Republic story line, etc.)

Pixar has done very well since the full Disney acquisition, and they've done a damn good job with Marvel (case in point: your own damned avatar and signature). Is nobody else excited that this could mean a good Star Wars trilogy?

Sephex
10-30-2012, 09:53 PM
PLINKETT IS GOING TO HAVE MORE STAR WARS REVIEWS IN A FEW YEARS!!!

For those of you who have no clue: Star Wars Reviews | (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/)

Shorty
10-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Absolutely not.

Jowy
10-30-2012, 10:06 PM
here i am at 5:05 PM mad about star wars on the internet again.

stop pissing all over things i enjoyed as a child!

Araciel
10-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Meh I can't cry any more since the last time..

Also if they do the Luke and Jedi stuff it may be interesting.

Goldenboko
10-30-2012, 10:11 PM
This is. No. Nooooooooo.

Jowy
10-30-2012, 10:12 PM
<a href=http://nooooooooooooooo.com/>PRESS IN DIRE SITUATIONS</a>

Raistlin
10-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I just can't see how this can end well.

Del Murder
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm with Ouch! here. I'll at least give this a shot rather than spamming the 'n' and 'o' keys for five minutes. I do love me some Star Wars and Disney has shown success with Pixar and Marvel.

charliepanayi
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
So long as George Lucas and Zack Snyder aren't allowed near such a project, then it could be decent.

Heath
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm also with Ouch!

I was rather surprised when I heard the news and wasn't really sure what to make of it. How well it will pan out will be interesting, but I'm certainly willing to give any new films a watch before I decide what to make of them. If the new film(s) pick up the trilogy from after Return of the Jedi (when quite a lot of interesting stuff happens!), and perhaps deal with the Yuuzhan Vong, it'll be quite interesting to see how they do it. Han, Luke, Leia and the like all have big roles to play in that timeline - I wonder who they'll get to play them.

Flying Mullet
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm with Ouch! here. I'll at least give this a shot rather than spamming the 'n' and 'o' keys for five minutes.Four minutes is okay. Got it!

Del Murder
10-30-2012, 11:47 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the new trilogy for what it's worth. It at least didn't ruin the original trilogy like some others say. They are different and I look at them differently.

charliepanayi
10-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm not a big fan of the prequels, but I've never agreed with people who rant that they ruin the original films. What does spoil the original films somewhat is George Lucas being unable to stop tinkering with them. OK it doesn't 'spoil' them as such, but it's irritating. Either way, maybe if they allow some other filmmaker(s) to play with the Star Wars universe something good could come of it.

Heath
10-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I don't think the new films ruined the original trilogy exactly, more that they were a bit of a disappointment and a departure from the originals. That wasn't entirely unexpected. To be fair to the prequel trilogy, I actually thought Revenge of the Sith was quite a good film.

CimminyCricket
10-30-2012, 11:55 PM
I appreciated the fight scenes in the new trilogy. It was nice to see lightsabers get swung around in way better graphics. The original is still my favourite, but I can see the newer trilogy building on either the books, or it could just be a super far off future. If it takes off after the Cade Skywalker storyline from Dark Horse (or they make a movie that negates that stupid story all together) I'd be happy.

Slothy
10-31-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm with Ouch! here. I'll at least give this a shot rather than spamming the 'n' and 'o' keys for five minutes. I do love me some Star Wars and Disney has shown success with Pixar and Marvel.

I'm with you for a few reasons as well. First off, I hated the prequels so if Lucas is less involved then I say its a good thing. Second, maybe this means we'll get blu-ray releases of the original versions from before Lucas started to cock them up.

Quindiana Jones
10-31-2012, 12:52 AM
I support the distancing of George Lucas and any designing processes, regardless of what they are. I'd be happy for the Lazy Town crew to take Star Wars, as long as they forced Lucas to make the tea and nothing else.

I Took the Red Pill
10-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Does this make Leia a Disney Princess?

Shlup
10-31-2012, 05:56 AM
(case in point: your own damned avatar and signature)

lol'd

I don't get why anyone would not be excited about this.

Chris
10-31-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't see this as a bad thing, either. If anything, I think it's a good idea that someone else takes over.

Mr. Lucas is rich enough. :colbert:

sharkythesharkdogg
10-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I also think it could be a good think to get some fresh minds and fresh creative perspective behind a Star Wars film again. My main concern is how much "consulting" they plan to let George do.

They have some pretty good story to work with, already sitting there. There's a chance they'll make the films right.

Freya
10-31-2012, 03:28 PM
You guys should stop worrying about the movies to be made and more about how this will affect KH3.

Ouch!
10-31-2012, 03:56 PM
You guys should stop worrying about the movies to be made and more about how this will affect KH3.
As Marvel's acquisition by Disney has shown: not at all.

Freya
10-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Hey, HEY HEY, we may have some marvel characters all up in our KH3! You don't know that! No one knows. No. one. knows. :( :'(

Slothy
10-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Hey, HEY HEY, we may have some marvel characters all up in our KH3! You don't know that! No one knows. No. one. knows. :( :'(

Unless I'm mistaken, Activision owns the rights to publish video games with most, if not all, Marvel characters. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but there may be some licensing issues.

The Man
11-01-2012, 01:00 AM
http://i.minus.com/ibtYB88Qu0JTmL.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ibq1dmv8Jb6FoO.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibyJw1h1nxM5oR.png

http://i.minus.com/iAou7Bef4OQgP.jpg

http://i.minus.com/iM6keiNg0NDb1.jpg

TrollHunter
11-01-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm iffy about this.
It could go either way really, pretty good or pretty horrid.
I'll definitely see them all regardless, besides I'm easily entertained and pleased. Hell, I enjoyed and still enjoy the prequels, even though I basically wrote an essay on whats wrong with them.

Denmark
11-01-2012, 10:38 AM
ask me in 3 years

The Man
11-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Disney Deal: George Lucas Will Use $4 Billion to Fund Education - Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-deal-george-lucas-will-384947)

So this pretty much eliminated my reservations with this. Good on him.

Quindiana Jones
11-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Bollocks. Now I can't describe Lucas as "that fat, beardy :bou::bou::bou::bou:". :|

charliepanayi
11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Don't be fooled! What people don't know is Lucas will fund schools with lessons like 'Greedo shot first' and 'Why The Phantom Menace is just misunderstood'.

Agrias
11-02-2012, 11:04 AM
This just reeks of bad life decisions.

fire_of_avalon
11-03-2012, 06:22 PM

I'm also with Ouch!

I was rather surprised when I heard the news and wasn't really sure what to make of it. How well it will pan out will be interesting, but I'm certainly willing to give any new films a watch before I decide what to make of them. If the new film(s) pick up the trilogy from after Return of the Jedi (when quite a lot of interesting stuff happens!), and perhaps deal with the Yuuzhan Vong, it'll be quite interesting to see how they do it. Han, Luke, Leia and the like all have big roles to play in that timeline - I wonder who they'll get to play them.

How is this a bad idea? If there's anything that recent years have proven is that the best stuff happens in the Star Wars universe happens when one of two criteria is met:

1. Someone is around to give creative oversight to Lucas's imagination (the original trilogy)
2. Lucas lets other people run wild with the world (books, The Old Republic story line, etc.)

Pixar has done very well since the full Disney acquisition, and they've done a damn good job with Marvel (case in point: your own damned avatar and signature). Is nobody else excited that this could mean a good Star Wars trilogy?

I'm with you for a few reasons as well. First off, I hated the prequels so if Lucas is less involved then I say its a good thing. Second, maybe this means we'll get blu-ray releases of the original versions from before Lucas started to cock them up.

I agree with all of this except for the Lucas involvement. There's nothing wrong with the storylines of the prequels, except for the stuff that was added to appeal to children. They made some bad casting decisions - that's not all on him. There are some awful lines, but there are also some really cool things in the prequels.

People just knock the dude because they can't recapture they mysticalness of their childhood anymore and want to blame him. Do you think the original trilogies are the epitome of film-making? I think everyone looks at them through the eyes of nostalgia-fog and can't stand that they can't connect with the newer ones in the same way.

I guess that's why it's good that I was in my teens when I saw the original trilogy and I saw them close together with the prequels.

Slothy
11-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I agree with all of this except for the Lucas involvement. There's nothing wrong with the storylines of the prequels, except for the stuff that was added to appeal to children.

I think we saw two different sets of prequels then.

People just knock the dude because they can't recapture they mysticalness of their childhood anymore and want to blame him. Do you think the original trilogies are the epitome of film-making?

Here's the problem for me; despite having some pretty big problems in places, the original trilogy is still enjoyable and still watchable for a lot of reasons. Was the acting always the best? No. Was it the train wreck of the prequels though? Certainly not. Let's face it, when you're the writer and the director, and you're getting some pretty terrible performances out of people like Christopher Lee, Natalie Portman, and even to some extent, Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson, that's pretty much only on you. When the story barely makes any sense, that's all on you. When the scenes are poorly directed, CG sequences are so busy that they're nearly impossible to watch and understand what's going on, it may not be all on you, but at some point you gave that the green light and said it was good enough. Hell, it's pretty telling that Star Wars improved dramatically after episode IV in the original trilogy, because Lucas neither wrote the script (at least not alone) nor directed Empire and Jedi. Back then he still had people willing to say no to him when he was trying to do something stupid.

Now are the prequels complete train wrecks devoid of anything to enjoy? No. They have their moments when they're downright watchable, but they're pretty few and far between, and do not make up for just how bad the rest of each one is.

And this isn't just some nostalgia fueled rant. I may love the original trilogy, and I certainly grew up watching them, but I'm not blind to the issues they do have. Nor do I hate the prequels for failing to "recapture the mysticalness" of my childhood. I never went in wanting that to begin with. I just wanted movies that were actually enjoyable to watch. We really didn't get that though.

LunarWeaver
11-04-2012, 04:15 AM
I'm a huge nerd for Star Wars. I lap it all up! I'm excited for more. It could go either way, of course. Only time will tell how they turn out, but I choose to hope for the best than assume the worst. Ugh, optimism. It hurts. But this once I will do it.

DMKA
11-04-2012, 04:32 AM
Finally, Star Wars isn't in the worst possible hands. Seriously, they could have sold it to Lionsgate and it would have been great news, but Disney? Hell yeah, pure awesome. It's only up from here folks.

I'm extremely curious as to what the new Star Wars film will be though. A prequel to the prequels? Episode VII? Some more crap like The Ewok Adventure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ewok_Adventure)?

I suppose this also opens up the possibility of Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts, which just makes me squeal with delight thinking about.

Mercen-X
11-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Hoping Disney's influence doesn't mean all of the future movies will be in the vein of Clone Wars. I like the series, but I prefer my films live-action.
Storyline provided by "Shadow...something" (I know Shadow was in there... or was it phantom..?) sounded good up until mentioning lightsabers that cut through other lightsabers... that seemed a bit of a stretch.
It would be cool if the new trilogy revolved around the NJO. Maybe episode VII could be a summation of the events of YJK whereas VIII could be of NJO and then IX would be for LotF. Or VII could be NJO, VIII could be LotF, and IX may be an original story altogether.

Then again, it may be nice to branch off in a new direction and stop talking about the Sith and the Jedi as balance was supposed to have been brought to the Force. Maybe they should make a film version of Crimson Empire. My dad is in love with Kir Kanos.

The Man
11-04-2012, 10:59 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531006_549432285086229_415549388_n.png

Bolivar
11-05-2012, 05:40 AM
I'm just honestly shocked that he really sold it... Lucas always seems so depressed though so I guess he's liable to do anything.

I've said before, I don't hate the prequels, I enjoy them for what they are. I think part of what disappoints us is how promising the source material could have been and when the end result is a lighter, kiddier version it can be disappointing.

But what ruins it is that it's just not good science fiction. I enjoy reading sci fi, but with film, there's just this whole eeriness you get from the classics, even modern ones, that bizarre feeling when the acting and photography convinces you that this is another world. Admittedly, the prequels go beyond that. I saw Phantom in 3D and I realized that the story just wasn't well written or explained. Personally, I wonder if this happenig would put us closer to the possibility of a do-over, another director's re-imagining of the prequels. I'd rather get a proper Dune movie or Book of the New Sun instead, though...

Jiro
11-08-2012, 08:30 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/530585_562885513738682_1712400797_n.jpg

Chris
11-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Hohohoho! That's pretty scary, yet strangely intriguing.

Kirobaito
11-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm fine with it so long as they don't make Yoda a muppet and have Grover voice him or something.

darkchrono
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Michael Arndt has been hired to write the story for Episode VII

He has done Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3, and also worked on the upcoming Hunger Games movie (Catching Fire).

‘Star Wars VII’ Gets a Screenwriter: Oscar Winner Michael Arndt (http://www.inquisitr.com/394164/star-wars-vii-gets-a-screenwriter-oscar-winner-michael-arndt/)

Also according to Wikipedia it has been stated that the new trilogy is going to be an original story and not based on any of the books that are out there and will take place when Luke, Leia, and Han are older (probably about thirty years or so after ROTJ). So all those books can now be thrown in the garbage. I never got into reading any of them so this doesn't bother me but this news will probably upset a few fans along with all the writers of those books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_VII#Episode_VII

Jiro
11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
So much literature out there that isn't bollocks and would transition well into film and they try something new. Arndt sounds like an alright kind of dude but I cannot help but be worried. Probs not even going to care though, I enjoyed the prequels like a dirty casual anyway.

Bolivar
11-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I like the 30 years later thing, so that they can conveniently have the original trilogy actors reprise their roles.

Mercen-X
11-15-2012, 09:00 PM
There's supposed to be Round 4 as well. 40 years later, episodes X, XI, XII will focus on the Young Jedi Knights, Leia's kids beside Chewbacca's nephew and the Dathomiran child Tenel Ka. Somewhere in there, I'm sure they'll mention the births of Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker.

darkchrono
11-16-2012, 03:35 AM
There's supposed to be Round 4 as well. 40 years later, episodes X, XI, XII will focus on the Young Jedi Knights, Leia's kids beside Chewbacca's nephew and the Dathomiran child Tenel Ka. Somewhere in there, I'm sure they'll mention the births of Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker.

Doubtful as they said they are not going to base any storylines off of the Expanded Universe. Good chance there will be some kids in there but they probably won't have the names of any of the EU characters nor the personalities.

I have a feeling that if there is an episode X, XI, and XII there will be another significant jump of time (or perhaps they may do something far in the past way before any of the episodes took place).

Bahamut2000X
11-16-2012, 11:44 AM
When I heard this I instantly got excited and happy. The second they said Lucas was no longer in charge of the movies, I became unusually optimistic and happy for a change. Since anyone who's looked into it will know, every (good) iconic moment from the movies were either the result of someone else, or someone else telling Lucas to shove off because hes a terrible director. But chances are everything you liked about Star Wars was an idea implemented by anyone but Lucas.

Mercen-X
11-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Doubtful as they said they are not going to base any storylines off of the Expanded Universe. Good chance there will be some kids in there but they probably won't have the names of any of the EU characters nor the personalities. Yeah, they say things. They like the sound of their own voices. Especially, when it's bulls. It's not like they have to worry about crediting the authors. They've ripped people off before. They can do it again.

I have a feeling that if there is an episode X, XI, and XII there will be another significant jump of time (or perhaps they may do something far in the past way before any of the episodes took place).

I'm definitely not fond of the idea of a jump to the past. Unless they're focusing on the first Sith war.

Del Murder
11-18-2012, 03:03 AM
I like the direction it is taking so far. It would be cool to see cameos of the original cast. The true challenge will be casting the younger actors who will play the mains in this series.

And, you know, what the smurf the plot will be.