PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Dissociation (the Noirverse)

Mercen-X
10-31-2012, 03:18 AM
In Marvel Noir, the timeline for most if not all of the Noir comics line is set around the 1930s. Superheroes are correctly labeled as vigilantes and for the most part, they have no superpowers. The only one that breaks this rule of thumb is Spider-Man who retains his superstrength and agility and the ability to spew webbing from his wrists. Personally, I think it's lame that just because this is set in a different timeline, suddenly Peter Parker can't still be a genius who can build gadgets to accomplish his goals. After all, Iron Man still retains his ability to cobble together awesome technology, primitive as it may seem by comparison to his modern equipment.

Anyway, Punisher's easy enough as he never had any powers anyway. Daredevil never really had any particularly impressive abilities either. Deadpool is explained as just being straight crazy.
Luke Cage's strength seems average for a man of his exceptional build and his "Power Man" alias is derived of a fluke wherein he managed to survive a barrage of gunfire from a corrupt cop.

Then we have Wolverine and the X-Men, a Dick Tracy-esque detective and a group of sociopathic criminals.

The point I'm trying to make with this poorly arranged rant is that Spider-Man could be just as effective as any of these other creeps without having a spider bite cause him to obtain superstrength and the ability to shoot spider webs.

snacks
11-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Augh Spiderman, don't get me started. His back history has been rewritten so many times it's impossible to really set foot into one reality with him (remember when he had organic web shooters?).

I read bits and pieces of the Noir series and I think it could have been better done, it was kind of hastily planned and the writing was kind of bad. I'd like to believe there had to be mutants in the 30's in that universe. Maybe that's what they were going for that there weren't.

Anyways Peter is very complicated.

I don't know where I was going with this aside that I think Peter got the luck of the draw when it came to powers, "A guy who can do things a spider can cool!" I mean really he's Marvel's Robin because you take away his powers and it's mostly aerobatics.

So I guess he is pretty impressive.

Mercen-X
12-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah, well, my point was that Peter Parker has been esteemed as being a whiz-kid in his own right. He could have been the Batman without the Lucius Fox. So then why the hell did they give him "spider" powers and f up the chance to really let him shine?

What should have been Noir Spider-Man's gear:
Bulletproofing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletproof_vest#WWI_armor_and_gangster_vests)
Grappler Gun
Brass Knuckles

Meanwhile, he could have learned to fight and climb the same way the Daredevil does.