PDA

View Full Version : Cooking

Pumpkin
10-31-2012, 05:17 PM
How do you feel about cooking?

I cook mostly every night. I prefer baking but I like doing both. I went through about five cookbooks and looked up some recipes online and took my and my boyfriends favorites and put them in one cookbook that I made with a specific decorated binder that I bought and some recipe paper. I also added some that I had never tried but sounded good. I've tried lots of new things these past few months.

I made a bacon quiche last week and I had never made one before and it turned out pretty well. I also made some meatballs that were actually very good. There's been a few recipes that were okay but by cooking them based on the recipe, I learned how to improve them.

The part I dislike most about cooking is touching meat before its cooked. I wash my hands as soon as possible after handling it. The part I like most is eating the food.

Shorty
10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
I love cooking and baking and I'm pretty creative in the kitchen, but I'm super picky.

I don't have a kitchen right now and it is killing me because I want to be able to make adorable little cupcakes with sprinkles and lemon parmesan pasta whenever I want but I can't :(

Jowy
10-31-2012, 05:26 PM
handling raw chicken always makes me feel uncomfortable! no issues with beef, pork, or fish though.

I am above average when it comes to the culinary arts. I am all about learning new recipes or just combining whatever I have lying around to prepare a dish.

~*~Celes~*~
10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
I LOVE to cook and bake, and I've never had a complaint about my skills in the kitchen. I just wish I had more prep room :( I can't do as much as I would like.

Tigmafuzz
10-31-2012, 06:12 PM
I've been making Sarah breakfast in bed almost every day for about a year :greenie: it's almost always just scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and oatmeal with a glass of juice though. I like to cook a lot, but she wants to learn how to be a better cook so I've been letting her take dinner lately. It's been... interesting >.>

Night Fury
10-31-2012, 06:20 PM
I cook a lot, but recently getting used to my new routine has hindered me a little.
I work a lot, I'm in class a lot and then when I'm not in class I'm in the library doing research or something.

I've set aside my sundays for cooking something big though. I've made lasagne, bolognese, and thai chicken soup over the last three weeks. I also try and cook something on weekdays but only if I have the time. I'm getting better though.

I've always been pretty nifty at cooking, and it's really something that helps me to chill out and unwind. I love cooking because when I'm doing it I'm just thinking about food and none of my other stresses. I'm hoping to learn to do more chinese dishes and maybe make curries. I made a curry over the summer from scratch and it was soooooo good!

I love baking too, I've baked since I was a little girl - my Nana bakes a lot and everytime I would visit her we'd make cakes together :cool:

I like cooking stuff that I can just throw a bunch of veggies in and it makes it really hearty and warming and smells nice. Like this Chilli I made!

Laddy
10-31-2012, 07:08 PM
I cook a bit, but I haven't done it in a while. I mostly enjoy crepes and pasta. Oh, and my burgers are absolutely heavenly. :love:

Sephex
10-31-2012, 07:22 PM
I am perfectly capable of cooking. Then I remember I am a lazy asshole and just throw something in the toaster oven or microwave.

Flaming Ice
10-31-2012, 07:59 PM
I like cooking..it`s my job anyways:)

I usually like to make stews at home.

Pike
10-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't know how to cook/bake and have no interest in learning. I'm eating a microwave pizza right now.

In b4 the thread turns into everyone chastising me as is par for the course

Madame Adequate
10-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Cooking is the most horrifically boring thing I've ever had the immense displeasure of doing. It is literally less interesting than doing nothing and I hate it with a passion. I like what you get out of it, but not enough to actually do it.

Aulayna
10-31-2012, 08:07 PM
I cook.

I also get lazy and just get a microwave thing, sandwich or take-out.

Really largely depends what my day at work was like.

Chris
10-31-2012, 08:09 PM
When I'm not making an egg and fish pizza, I unleash my talents on various of traditional Filipino dishes. I don't cook as much as I'd like, but time is short, and sometimes it's just easier to buy something fast and easy.

Flaming Ice
10-31-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't know how to cook/bake and have no interest in learning. I'm eating a microwave pizza right now.

In b4 the thread turns into everyone chastising me as is par for the course

The best thing about cooking your own food is you can at least know what`s going in it....and you can easily cut down salt&sugar.

Miriel
10-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Here are some of the meals I've made recently:

Filet mignon with sauteed kale, scalloped potatoes, and mushrooms.
Shrimp scampi with linguine.
Japanese style fried rice.
Tuscan style meat ragu with pappardelle.
Carne asada tacos with spanish rice (Del Murder made guacamole and salsa).
Korean spicy tofu soup.

I enjoy cooking. But I like eating even more!

Tonight we're making spaghetti Del Murder style, and cookies from scratch. :)

Agent Proto
10-31-2012, 09:31 PM
I can cook, it's just I'm lazy about doing it. Though, I do believe I can manage something edible when given the appropriate ingredients and time to prepare something. I made some spaghetti this one time. It was pretty good. :)

Raistlin
10-31-2012, 10:59 PM
I am the laziest person on the planet, so cooking for myself rarely requires anything more involved than pushing buttons or boiling water.

Night Fury
10-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Here are some of the meals I've made recently:

Filet mignon with sauteed kale, scalloped potatoes, and mushrooms.
Shrimp scampi with linguine.
Japanese style fried rice.
Tuscan style meat ragu with pappardelle.
Carne asada tacos with spanish rice (Del Murder made guacamole and salsa).
Korean spicy tofu soup.

I enjoy cooking. But I like eating even more!

Tonight we're making spaghetti Del Murder style, and cookies from scratch. :)

Okay. Can I come for dinner please?

Araciel
10-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Can I cook? Yes. I love making soups and sauces that last me a week at a time. In summer I'm finally grilling my own meals.

Usually though I just dine out or order in...

Table for one!

sharkythesharkdogg
11-01-2012, 12:42 AM
I'm a good cook. Bachelor life made me tired of canned soup and frozen waffles many moons ago. I like making my own recipes.

Lately...

Stuffed peppers with mango yellow curry chicken, golden raisins, toasted pecans, and goat cheese.

Cajun pork chops (bone-in) with mashed potatoes Sharky style and broccoli spears.

I took some seasoned pork (repetitive, maybe) and baked it into a corn bread loaf with some mushrooms and honey.

Shion is also a very good cook.

Night Fury
11-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Stuffed peppers with mango yellow curry chicken, golden raisins, toasted pecans, and goat cheese.

I just drooled a little bit.

fire_of_avalon
11-01-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm learning. I make good stuffed shells, awesome banana bread, pumpkin bread and cheesecake, a killer chicken casserole aaaaaand uh. That's it. I can make other stuff, but it's not always as good.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Cheesecake takes so long to make. You're a dedicated baker.

krissy
11-01-2012, 04:18 AM
i feel like cheesecake is easier to make than a full on meal like your pepper things man
i guess it depends though
anyway i can make banana bread

Shorty
11-01-2012, 05:15 AM
No-bake cheesecake is so easy, though!

Miriel
11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Okay. Can I come for dinner please?

If you come over on Sunday, I'm making lobster mac and cheese and Boston cream pie. :excited:

Jiro
11-02-2012, 09:39 AM
For someone who loves eating as much as I do, cooking is just really painful.

Fujiko
11-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I loooove cooking and baking! And I love collecting recipes and creating my own! I create a lot of my own recipes/dishes, and I often just measure by eye as well~ :heart:

sharkythesharkdogg
11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
+1 for measuring by eye, and taste.

Fujiko
11-02-2012, 04:00 PM
:heart:

Unbreakable Will
11-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Cooking is great, I just rarely find the time. energy, and ingredients to do so.

Recent-ish:

New York Strip with blue cheese marinade
Chicken topped with Unbreakable Sauce (Barbeque sauce, worcestershire sauce, lemon pepper and Montreal steak seasoning)
Stuffed mushrooms; giant mushrooms cooked in beef broth for flavor and stuffed with steak tips, seasonings (mostly mildly spicy), swiss & cheddar cheeses.
Will's Po'man Spaghetti; Easy Mac (noodles only), spaghetti sauce (take your pick I prefer Traditional), sausage (cut up into bite sized bits), and chopped mushrooms.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Here's what I had for dinner tonight, thanks to a miss shion.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/sharkythesharkdogg/2012-11-05155910.jpg

Tomato, basil, mozzarella salad
cream of broccoli and potato soup
cheesy flatbread

(we like cheese)

Shorty
11-05-2012, 10:33 PM
oh my god ;__________________;

Araciel
11-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't see any meat.

Agrias
11-05-2012, 11:01 PM
OH HO HO!! Get ready for some cooking guiz!

Most recent, greek salad with lemon seasoned chicken and feta on top
Best home-made chicken soup i've ever made
Chorizo sausage breakfast sandwich and eggs with cheddar cheese
This sandwich was twice the size of my face, it was delish!
Experimented with a hot salad, came out spicy and awesome!
Broccoli, Cheese soup and wild rice
Halibut roasted with greek salad-like toppings
Home made poutine, better than KFC!

And now for the greek food!
Youvarlakia, grand mothers recipe
Fassolia me patates, also grand mothers recipe

These are just some of my faaaavorite thiiings! :sing:

Futan
11-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Microwave and toast oven only. Too lazy and apathetic to actually cook. :p

Fujiko
11-06-2012, 05:13 AM
So many yummy dishes!

Citizen Bleys
11-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Because this is vaguely on topic and amusing (to me), here's my Ukrainian Perehe recipe:

Ingredients
Dough

· 2 cups flour
· 1/2 cup warm milk
· 1/2 cup mashed potato (made normally, mashed with whatever proportion of of milk and butter you usually use. If you don't know how to make mashed potatos, just stop now and never cook again)
· 1 teaspoon of non-fake salt
· 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil...really, any kind of oil other than motor oil should work.
Traditional Filling

· 1/2 cup chopped or diced onion
· 1/4 cup butter, margarine, or buddha
· 2-3 mashed potatos
· 1 cup grated cheese, cheez whiz, or other substitute
· 1 tsp garlic powder
Real Man's Filling

· 1 lb ground beef
· 2 eggs
· 1 tbsp garlic powder (or to taste)
· 1 tbsp celery salt (or to taste)
· about a half a pack of soda crackers, crushed to trout
· preposterous amounts of testosterone
Directions

Dough--------------.

Mix dough ingredients together.

You may have to add more liquid or flour to make the dough soft and somewhat sticky.

Turn onto a floured surface and knead more flour into dough- just enough to make it easier to handle.

The dough will be slightly sticky.

Place dough in an oiled bowl.

Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.

Traditional Filling ----

Cook onion and garlic powder in butter.

Mix with potatoes, and add cheese while the mixture is still hot.

Let filling cool before using (place in fridge.)

Real Man's Filling ----

Brown the ground beef with garlic, celery salt, and testosterone

Pop that trout in a bowl and toss in the cheese, mix it up

Beat the eggs, then add them and the crushed crackers in to make the filling sticky.

If you used too many crackers, substitute by adding additional testosterone

Cool it in the fridge

Preparation ----

Set a big-ass pot of water to boil.

Form walnut-sized balls of the filling.

Roll out dough on floured surface fairly thinly (3 millimeters, or 0.125 inch).
You will probably need to add flour as you roll.

Cut out circles of about the same size; I use a beer stein for the little ones, and the mini-bowls I use to feed the cat for the big ones. I have no idea what that kind of bowl is called. It's deeper than a saucer but has a smaller diameter. You can try to re-roll and re-use the scraps, but it will probably turn out like trout. <abbr title="You Have Been Warned">YHBW</abbr>.

Place filling ball in center of dough circle.

If the dough has a less-floury side, keep that side up

Fold dough over ball, and pinch edges to form a half circle. Pinch the middle first, then the ends, then work your way towards the middle for best results.

Place several perogies in boiling water—the amount depends on the size of your pot o' water. Don't put too many in at a time. I usually go with 4-5 in a normal pot, but feel free to go all out if you have one of those giant cauldrons that witches use. If you are actually a witch, make sure you rinse it out first, eye of newt will totally ruin the perehe.

Stir once, gently with a slotted spoon.

Perehe are done when they float; if it's been more than 5 minutes and they don't appear to be floating, they're probably done and you just put too many perehe in at a time
Melt about 1/2 cup of butter or margarine in microwave.

Remove and drain the perogies with the slotted spoon. (The original recipe said “Rescue” instead of remove, but let's face it, you're too late, THEY'RE ALREADY DEAD)

Place in a bowl, drizzle with some melted butter, and gently shake to distribute the butter.

Do that last bit over and over again until you're out of perehe.

Pumpkin
11-06-2012, 08:09 AM
That recipe sounds good, I will probably try it out.

Tomorrow I will be making chicken pot pie :jess:.

The soup I made I actually didn't much care for but it got better as it simmered and when I tried it again a few hours later, it was actually really good.

Chris
11-06-2012, 11:53 AM
This thread has awoken a hunger in me, and for once, it's not for sex. Hoho! Food over it, any day.

Night Fury
11-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm rather excited for my dinner tonight, as I have a nice Salmon fillet in the fridge! Yum yum yum!! :love:

kotora
11-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Gotta love cooking. It's really relaxing, you don't have to think of anything while doing it, just focus on the pan. Making some pad thai with noodles tonight!

recipe

they're called 'vareniki' in ukraine. never even heard of the word 'perehe' but it sounds like something an amurican came up with.

Citizen Bleys
11-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Maybe it's an Alberta Ukrainian thing? It's what my family called 'em.

kotora
11-07-2012, 12:10 AM
It doesn't even sound like a slavic word unless you're using some kind of weird canadian transliteration. Afaik they're only called 'pierogi' in Poland (they have the same word in russian, but it's a different dish).

Parker
11-07-2012, 01:42 AM
I made some chicken stock and ended up using it all in a big pot of soup!

Should last me a few days and I have some leftover chicken which should last even longer :)

sharkythesharkdogg
11-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Delicious chicken pot pie last night. I'm a spoiled bastard on the road to becoming a fat, spoiled bastard.