PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for an open-world RPG...

Laddy
10-31-2012, 09:37 PM
So far, Divinity II seems most appealing, but does anyone else have any non-Elder Scrolls games to recommend?

Shoeberto
10-31-2012, 09:49 PM
There was that Amalur game that came out earlier this year that was supposed to have been really great. It was an open world action RPG that actually had fun combat, unlike the TES games.

Alpha2099
10-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Try the Ultima series. Caution, they're REALLY old games, even older than Final Fantasy, but they were kinda one of the first to have open-world exploration. Mostly because there wasn't any real plot to speak of.

Laddy
10-31-2012, 09:53 PM
I've played both. :(

Pete for President
10-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Dark Souls is the only right answer.

I hereby call upon all EoFF-Souls-players to testify and recommend the greatness that is Dark Souls to you. Once you taste the glory of Dark Souls, thou shall never even think of playing an Elder Scrolls ever again. It really is that good.

Quindiana Jones
10-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Dark Souls is literally one of the greatest things that ever happened to me.

I'm not even fucking joking.

Raistlin
11-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Baldur's Gate II. (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/145235-laddy-plays-baldurs-gate-real-time.html) :p

Skyblade
11-01-2012, 12:11 AM
There was that Amalur game that came out earlier this year that was supposed to have been really great. It was an open world action RPG that actually had fun combat, unlike the TES games.

Fun combat, yes.

Pity it had one of the most boring worlds I'd ever seen in an RPG. So bad I couldn't get immersed or involved at all, and gave up with only a tiny fraction of the game done.

Flying Arrow
11-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Dark Souls is the only right answer.

I hereby call upon all EoFF-Souls-players to testify and recommend the greatness that is Dark Souls to you. Once you taste the glory of Dark Souls, thou shall never even think of playing an Elder Scrolls ever again. It really is that good.

Got my vote.

But Dark Souls might not be exactly what you're looking for, as far as 'open world' goes.

But that doesn't matter because you need to play Dark Souls.

Slothy
11-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Dark Souls is literally one of the greatest things that ever happened to me.

I'm not even fucking joking.

When I first went out with Dark Souls, it started to slide it's hand up my shirt when we were fooling around a bit in the car. Let's just say I didn't say no.

Quindiana Jones
11-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I suppose Dark Souls doesn't have the hugest of open worlds (it's no Elder Scrolls), but it's still expansive. The best thing is how it's all linked, however.

God damnit, I love that game.

Slothy
11-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Quin and I agreed thread needed more poll.

Quindiana Jones
11-01-2012, 01:35 AM
You're amazing. xD

I've noticed Laddy hasn't responded in a while. That can only mean he's bought, started playing, and become obsessed with Dark Souls.

Freya
11-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Dark souls, Kingdoms of Amular, Dragon's Dogma, urmmmm yeah there aren't too many open world stuff like that.

6lhzDkaKi1w

If you like the fable-esqe combat try kingdoms, plus it's brightly colored! Also RA Salvatore did the history as well as Todd McFarlane (creator of spawn) did the armor and stuff so that's cool. The lead designer of skyrim was also part of it.

No need to explain dark souls more than these kids have.

HYbH25f36Qg

Dragon's Dogma is a good one of skyrim and Monster hunter having a baby. Cept if you make a female character, watch out because the giant ogres will grab you, and run off with you. Then they will proceed to hump you to death. I'm not joking. Great game though. Story is a little generic but it's a lot of fun. If you're friends with DK, his pawn is really good. His name is Carlton and looks just like carlton from fresh prince. but he's a great mage to have as a pawn.

Pete for President
11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
That is one great poll.

Dark Souls' world might not be as open as other RPG's in terms of wide fields, but every location is so much more compelling, relevant and immersive than anything I ever experienced. It is far more open in the sense of the word that you're not running errands for anyone. You're not a slave sent out to kill 3 sheep, fetch some cheese and then some more boring quests. You're a warrior. You only have one goal and you find out what it is all by yourself. You're doomed unless you fight and nothing else deserves your attention. And who needs maps anyway?

Quindiana Jones
11-01-2012, 09:58 AM
After playing Dark Souls, I've come to realise that maps are for the weak, and I shall forever scorn them.

Seconding Dragon's Dogma. If I were ever to review that game, it would start with "There are so many terrible things about Dragon's Dogma", but it'd still get 9/10. Brilliantly fun game. Shite characters and story. Excellent world and gameplay. Carlton is a badass. I was working on a badass too, but unfortunately I moved country yadda yadda yadda. I miss DS and DD so much. :(

Japan really is dominating the Western RPG market.

Jowy
11-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Great poll.

Dark Souls is the most fun game I've played in at least five years.

Laddy
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Saving up for Dark Souls as of now.

krissy
11-01-2012, 11:24 PM
i still havent' decided whether to get it on ps3 or pc

Quindiana Jones
11-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Apparently the PC version is ridiculously good looking, though you have to download an unofficial patch for it. I don't think I'd like the keyboard controls with Dark Souls, though. When I eventually get it for PC, I will also be buying a normal controller. :)

Laddy
11-02-2012, 12:23 AM
I will probs get it for PC since that's my preferred WRPG console. :monster: Plus, it's likely cheaper.

Quindiana Jones
11-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Dark Souls is Japanese ;).

But yeah, PC is a good idea. Make sure you download the unofficial patches to sort out the graphics (unless From Soft have fixed it themselves, the base textures and stuff of DS on PC are atrocious). Do you have a controller for it? This game is made to be played on controller, really.

krissy
11-02-2012, 02:27 AM
i got a laptop with a graphics card and a ps3 controller (those plug in via usb)
but i dunno if playing it on a laptop is a good idea in case its slow or something
i mean this is not a game where you want the timing to mess up

Laddy
11-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Dark Souls is Japanese ;).

But yeah, PC is a good idea. Make sure you download the unofficial patches to sort out the graphics (unless From Soft have fixed it themselves, the base textures and stuff of DS on PC are atrocious). Do you have a controller for it? This game is made to be played on controller, really.

Japanese in origin, Western in style. Which is why these labels are stupid.

Hollycat
11-02-2012, 02:36 AM
One to stay away from would be Ragnarok odyssey. Worst $40 ever spent.

Flaming Ice
11-02-2012, 02:39 AM
There's also Xenoblade if you have a wii too.

One to stay away from would be Ragnarok odyssey. Worst $40 ever spent.

That's why it's best to read reviews first :)

Some are ridiculous (very biased when it's a series and the person who reviews it likes the series so much that they ignore repetitiveness and what-not) but generally they help out enough.

Just use the edit button if you want to add more, no need to w~post. ~WK

Wolf Kanno
11-02-2012, 06:07 AM
You could also try out Metal Saga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Saga) if you want to play a funny post apocalyptic game.

Laddy
11-02-2012, 06:54 AM
You could also try out Metal Saga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Saga) if you want to play a funny post apocalyptic game.

I remember that game! It was pretty good too. It had a pretty big game world loaded with quirk and charm.

Pete for President
11-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Saving up for Dark Souls as of now.

Hurray! You shall not regret this : )

i still havent' decided whether to get it on ps3 or pc

I'd go for PS3. What can I say, the game was developed for consoles for a reason and it has a steady, dedicated group of people playing on this platform including the veterans of Demon's Souls.

Bolivar
11-03-2012, 02:57 AM
I always considered the Souls games as closer to Ghouls n Ghosts than a WRPG... but that may have changed a bit with breaking down the barriers of zones with Dark souls.

krissy
11-03-2012, 03:16 AM
i wouldn't call them games at all

they're more like

experiences

Slothy
11-03-2012, 11:13 PM
i wouldn't call them games at all

they're more like

experiences

Playing the Souls games is a deeply spiritual experience. Life changing even. If you come out the other side unchanged by the journey then your life will be forever meaningless.

Quindiana Jones
11-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Three people need banning.