PDA

View Full Version : playing instruments

themagicroundabout
10-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Does anybody plan an instrument here? What do you play? And what have you learned to play recently, or what are your favourite songs/styles to play in?

I play the.. guitar.. and today I picked up Hey Hey (http://youtu.be/eDqRX30MF74) by Big Bill Broonzy and that's been pretty fun to jam to. I think my favourite songs to play are Guabi Guabi by George Sibanda, Rag Mama Rag by Blind Boy Fuller or Mississipi John Hurt stuff. Ragtimey blues stuff is fun, gets ya toes tappin', y'know?

Alpha2099
10-31-2012, 10:40 PM
I play the piano. Took lessons for about 6 years. I have a stack of sheet music for Final Fantasy songs, as well as the theme from Doctor Who, and I have a complete scorebook for every recorded Beatles song.

Raistlin
10-31-2012, 10:47 PM
I played the alto sax when I was young, but I haven't played in many years.

Chris
10-31-2012, 11:07 PM
I failed at guitar, so I took up harping. It actually lasted for about six months, but then I lost interest when I had to replace the one I done broke.

Night Fury
10-31-2012, 11:16 PM
I can play Clarinet, Cornet, Soprano Cornet, Trumpet and can do a little bit of piano!

When I played Brass I had the solo parts and we'd do a lot of numbers like "The Great Escape" which I loved, but a lot of boring hymns. So when I'd get home I'd play the Wallace and Gromit theme tune because I can play by ear and I didn't need the sheet music. :love:

Araciel
11-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Guitar.

Still learning, but can play a number of sweet campfire tunes. My voice is too deep to sing a lot of good songs properly though.

blackmage_nuke
11-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Ive lost my touch with the piano but I use to be mediocre.
I can still play most chords on a guitar by sight.
I can make a few reasonable notes on a violin
I am currently learning the harmonica and can usually play something by ear if it doesnt use too many non major notes (cant bend my notes yet unfortunately)
I can also play the recorder
I have an average singing voice.

Shorty
11-01-2012, 01:04 AM
I played violin when I was younger and bass for a very short time during my teen years.

I've alllways wanted to play saxophone but the orchestra teacher in middle school said I needed two years of clarinet to do so and I said fuck that.

Pike
11-01-2012, 02:18 AM
I used to play cello. Not in a really long time, though.

I was in enough music classes for a while that I actually know a lot about music theory and such, though. I can still hum a perfect A on command. Neat party trick. (Actually not, but.)

krissy
11-01-2012, 02:41 AM
i got to like level 3 or 4 piano, know some guitar chords, and can pretend to play bass as long as no one's telling me what key to play in

edit: your heart strings is what i play baby :kisx:

Agent Proto
11-01-2012, 02:45 AM
I used to play the clarinet back in high school. Quit before my senior year though. Before the clarinet, I tried the trombone, but it was too big for me and it was a hassle carrying around school. I also knew how to play the cello in fourth grade. :) Never tried to play anything else. I would like to learn piano and/or guitar at some point in the future though.

Citizen Bleys
11-01-2012, 03:37 AM
I took up the classical guitar in March, and I'm still crap at it.

I can play a simplified version of Dear Friends and that's about it. Not like these classical guitarists who can play 2 melodies at the same time a la lonlonjp.

yukina
11-01-2012, 04:52 AM
Used to play the recorder, guitar, and piano til college life murdered all the free time in my life.
I can still play on piano the first half of Aerith's Theme and Yoruma's River Flows In You but that's about it. I can probably still do basic chords on the guitar and easy notes on the recorder. :)))

NorthernChaosGod
11-02-2012, 12:33 AM
This thread happens a lot.

I've played the guitar for about 12 years now, the bass for 11, drums for 10, and I picked up piano over a year ago. O_O

I should really be much better than I am. xD

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-02-2012, 12:46 AM
I am pretty masterful at the Air Guitar and Air Trumpet. :kakapo:

Jiro
11-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I hope I can still play the euphonium a little.

Night Fury
11-02-2012, 02:09 PM

We can be a mini brass band next year Jaggins.

Faris
11-02-2012, 02:23 PM

I played its cousin, the baritone, in middle school and tried out the cornet. In high school I was well known for singing. Tried out the guitar a few times, my hands might be too small for it and I've always wanted to try learning the piano.

Lonely Paper Star
11-03-2012, 12:29 AM
I took piano lessons for around 8 years before I quit because of band, where I played the flute (from 4th grade-ish to 12th grade). I can still play both, just not as well as I used to. D:

Laddy
11-03-2012, 02:09 AM
I play bass, but I dabble in piano, guitar, and harmonica. I like rock, but I also enjoy blues and folk.

I'm okay enough I guess, but I could never play for someone's entertainment for reasons other than schadenfreude.

Unbreakable Will
11-03-2012, 04:26 AM
I play the saxophone. That makes me a cultured sonofabitch. :bigsmile: