PDA

View Full Version : Working overtime... from home

Raistlin
10-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Because of the hurricane, I missed two days of work, which means I am way behind in helping prepare for a big trial on Monday. So I brought some work home with me (despite the fact that I'm not actually getting paid for this).

So do you ever have to bring work home, or work overtime in general? Do you work from home at all?

Chris
10-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Bring work home? Then I would have to take some patients with me home. Not entirely ethical, unless they're cute.

:colbert:

Araciel
11-01-2012, 12:34 AM
No effin' way. I'm lucky like that. It'd be sweet to work from home sometimes which I may do if I get one of the jobs out of Toronto, but my current keeps me around the office. Luckily the load is never such that I CAN really take it home.

Shorty
11-01-2012, 01:02 AM
I used to have to work from home allll the time. The office would forward their phones to my cell phone and I'd have to pull up our network on my laptop.

I don't work there anymore! :monster:

Quindiana Jones
11-01-2012, 01:08 AM
I am now a teacher. I don't get a choice. For every hour I get paid, I work another half hour at home xD.

Pike
11-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Work from home, no, unless you count the books I write. In which case yes, always!

Overtime I get on rare occasion. I remember back before the recession when the places I worked at would hand out overtime like candy. Not so much anymore :(

Ouch!
11-01-2012, 01:34 AM
My entire job is working from home right now as a contractor working on online components to textbooks. I've only been doing it for two months now, and I can confidently say that it is the most miserable work experience of my life.

Rye
11-01-2012, 04:29 AM
My job can be done romotely so we can work from home if we can't get into the office. With that said, I don't work overtime.

Sephex
11-01-2012, 04:35 AM
I have to physically be there to perform the duties at my job (QA), so I don't have to work about adult homework. If there was some robot I could control from home, I totally would be down for that!

Del Murder
11-01-2012, 04:51 AM
I have access to my work computer from anywhere I have an internet connection. I try not to work off-hours from home much, but I manage a whole department now so it is unavoidable sometimes. Some days I work from home and those days are fun since I get to sit around in my jammies.

Jowy
11-01-2012, 05:04 AM
I'll stay late at work an extra hour or so once or twice a week to get caught up on grunt work. I usually work one Saturday a quarter and I'm the only person there so I take full advantage and roll up there in pajamas/gym shorts and blast music from my desk all day.

Iceglow
11-01-2012, 09:13 AM
I work in a call center so no I never take my work home with me, it comes the end of my shift and my phone gets logged out and my pc gets rebooted done and dusted til my next shift. I don't even have to think about work until then aside from "what time am I in tomorrow?" which 9 in 10 times is the same time as that day or not at all.

That being said I do work a fair bit of O/T mostly because since I started a couple of months back and then moved to the phones I got offered it once and worked a 10 hour shift to earn some cash despite only having completed my training a few days ago. Now I'm one of the managers preferred O/T agents since I can go in get on with it and only rarely need assistance. In fact I'm one of the first people to get offered extra time by management, normally Caroline will come over and ask me. This weekend for example she managed to chat me up enough to get me to agree to 22 hours extra work over 2 days. Now, whilst I might be crazy and I might also regret these hours, it's the last possibility to do O/T for the foreseeable future.

Heath
11-01-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't tend to, but my work is reasonably flexible on where I work. Most of the people in my office work from home on Fridays, so I'm usually one of the few people in. I don't tend to take work home with me, but I did yesterday. I was on a site visit for most (but not all) of the day and it was reasonably close to home, so I did an hour or so further at home afterwards. I try not to take my work home though.

NorthernChaosGod
11-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I've only had retail jobs or some sort of customer service based work, there's no way I can take work home. :monster:

Which is good because fuck that.

Jiro
11-02-2012, 09:32 AM
They changed our overtime criteria at uni so we rarely get paid extra. I'm usually too efficient to even work to the allotted time :argh:

My internship forced me to work overtime nearly every day. Wasn't getting paid at all anyway. Feels bad man.

Aulayna
11-02-2012, 01:41 PM
My work stays in the office. Unless I happen to play the game we support at home at which case it often feels like I'm taking it home :p

Pike
11-02-2012, 04:22 PM
My work stays in the office. Unless I happen to play the game we support at home at which case it often feels like I'm taking it home :p

I always wonder if it makes you hate the game or makes you sick of it. Merely blogging about WoW for a few years often made me sick of it :p

Shlup
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
When I was a teacher I did many, many hours of work at home. Now that I work in retail I sure as hell don't.

My Etsy stuff is all from home though, obviously.

Shiny
11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Anticipating the storm, I worked overtime on Friday to try to make up for the days I ended up missing this week. I get twice the amount of pay to work overtime, so I don't complain, but still sucks because those hours still didn't make up for Monday - Wednesday that I missed. I couldn't work from home, because all the stuff I needed was back the office that I couldn't get to it due to the weather and transit situation. Would've been a pain to lug around a bunch of HDCAM tapes anyway.

Sucks and my check is also going to suck, but whaddyagonnado. I at least worked part time yesterday and then going to try to work a full day today and by work I mean kill time on here until I can find something to do since all the editors and producers I work with aren't even in today.

Rantz
11-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm never made to work overtime. I'm occasionally asked, though, if I'm able to come in at Sundays to help push out new versions of our system, or to stay late for Patch Wednesdays. I'm usually able to, and during updates we can choose from 200% pay or 200% flextime. Patches count as flextime. I sometimes come in early, stay late or bring home some work over the weekend if I need to catch up on a project or something like that, or stay late if I'm in a productive state of mind. I also sometimes leave early or come in late if I feel like it, thanks to the flextime system. Or even take a day off if I have enough hours saved up.

I sometimes work from home, but it's sort of an unwritten rule that you should have a decent excuse for doing that.

Aulayna
11-03-2012, 12:39 AM

I always wonder if it makes you hate the game or makes you sick of it. Merely blogging about WoW for a few years often made me sick of it :p

It was worse when I was guild leading. It felt like I never got a break then. These days it has it's highs and lows.