PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber Keyblades anyone?

Red Mage Coffman
11-01-2012, 06:21 PM
So, I heard Disney purchased Lucasfilms. When I first heard the news, I pictured the trailer for a new Kingdom Hearts game. Orchestral Simple and Clean was playing and one of the video shots was Sora clashing his Keyblade with Darth Vader's Lightsaber. Oh, and Princess Leia will TOTALLY be the next Disney princess. I just got shivers, not even lying.

Ouch!
11-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I would normally say that I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I actually kind of enjoy it.

Disney purchasing Marvel has not seen an injection of Iron Man into the Kingdom Hearts universe; I would be surprised to see the Lucasfilms acquisition be any different.

Also, live action additions to Kingdom Hearts have been (in my not so humble opinion) the most tonally dissonant and awkward worlds in the series. Space Paranoids in Kingdom Hearts 2 was stylized enough that it was fine, but the Pirates of the Caribbean adaptation was consistently cringe-worthy and clashed artistically. The Grid from Tron: Legacy was little better in KH3D; while the world was cool enough to stand on its own from an art direction standpoint, as soon as I saw the in-game model of the Flynns, CLU, or Quorra, I wanted to vomit.

They could arguably incorporate the art style of the Clone Wars animated series into Kingdom Hearts, but really I just rather that they didn't.

Goldenboko
11-01-2012, 07:33 PM
The approach Disney took with Marvel was very... adult. The approach Disney takes with Star Wars willy probably determine this one as well. I'd probably prefer Disney to leave my Star Wars alone as much as possible.

Mercen-X
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I know how you feel. Why did they have to struggle so hard to make those characters true to their film counterparts? Okay, I get it. The only medium through which those stories have been told up to now is in live-action. But that doesn't mean they couldn't have taken some tonal liberties with the in-game designs. Just because it looks like a cartoon doesn't mean you're going to have to change the tone of the story.

If they were to push a Star Wars world on us, I'd want there to be some kind of time flux (like the Timeless River in 2), where you could see an original story play out between both Star Wars eras. You could have Anakin team up with Luke against Vader until he learns that he is Vader. Imagine seeing both Mickey and Yoda bouncing around a level together like a couple of squirrels chasing a nut. Personally, I think the worst thing to happen to Star Wars was young Anakin... and Binx. But the best thing to happen to Star Wars were Darth Maul and Grievous.

I've got it. Sora's group observes from the outside as the Trade Federation invades Naboo and Obi-Wan Kenobi defeats Darth Maul, then interference by the Heartless causes time to distort so that fragments from the future are brought into this reality. Sora and the others venture in to stop this and battle alongside Luke and Anakin (respectively, you're never allowed to replace both Donald and Goofy... Disney bastards), against the Fetts and Vader and Grievous and Dooku. Naturally, as I said, we would have to include a moment where the two worlds really collide and Anakin and Luke meet and battle together against Vader and the Emperor. Despite learning that he will become Vader, Anakin would help to defeat him. Sora would convince Anakin to return to his own timeline so his group can straighten out this mess. Together, he and Luke would "defeat" the Heartless-infused Emperor and Vader would throw him to his death. Yay.

Naturally, with the timelines now stabilized, player's no longer get to have Anakin in their party but there's really no loss as Anakin and Luke basically fight the same.

In the Battle Arena, you can face not only Vader, but an alternate form where he looks like Anakin, there's also Grievous and a Darth Maul with mechanical legs. Just like Grievous' arms split into four so too do Maul's legs so he can crush an opponent under him after jumping. Yup. That's how it is.

Oh, yeah, and Sora would obtain Starkiller keychain.

Red Mage Coffman
11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I think it MIGHT be an okay idea, if the do it right. It'd be hard to pull off, but it could happen. Also, I've heard Disney is gonna use Star Wars to expand some of their own original stuff. Buzz Lightyear being one of them. This probably isn't good at all, but who knows? Disney might just suckerpunch me in the face with an awesome, funny crossover. I doubt it though.

Formalhaut
11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I know how you feel. Why did they have to struggle so hard to make those characters true to their film counterparts? Okay, I get it. The only medium through which those stories have been told up to now is in live-action. But that doesn't mean they couldn't have taken some tonal liberties with the in-game designs. Just because it looks like a cartoon doesn't mean you're going to have to change the tone of the story.

If they were to push a Star Wars world on us, I'd want there to be some kind of time flux (like the Timeless River in 2), where you could see an original story play out between both Star Wars eras. You could have Anakin team up with Luke against Vader until he learns that he is Vader. Imagine seeing both Mickey and Yoda bouncing around a level together like a couple of squirrels chasing a nut. Personally, I think the worst thing to happen to Star Wars was young Anakin... and Binx. But the best thing to happen to Star Wars were Darth Maul and Grievous.

I've got it. Sora's group observes from the outside as the Trade Federation invades Naboo and Obi-Wan Kenobi defeats Darth Maul, then interference by the Heartless causes time to distort so that fragments from the future are brought into this reality. Sora and the others venture in to stop this and battle alongside Luke and Anakin (respectively, you're never allowed to replace both Donald and Goofy... Disney bastards), against the Fetts and Vader and Grievous and Dooku. Naturally, as I said, we would have to include a moment where the two worlds really collide and Anakin and Luke meet and battle together against Vader and the Emperor. Despite learning that he will become Vader, Anakin would help to defeat him. Sora would convince Anakin to return to his own timeline so his group can straighten out this mess. Together, he and Luke would "defeat" the Heartless-infused Emperor and Vader would throw him to his death. Yay.

Naturally, with the timelines now stabilized, player's no longer get to have Anakin in their party but there's really no loss as Anakin and Luke basically fight the same.

In the Battle Arena, you can face not only Vader, but an alternate form where he looks like Anakin, there's also Grievous and a Darth Maul with mechanical legs. Just like Grievous' arms split into four so too do Maul's legs so he can crush an opponent under him after jumping. Yup. That's how it is.

Oh, yeah, and Sora would obtain Starkiller keychain.

I've never actually seen Star Wars, though that idea is like music to my ears.

Miriel
11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
I would normally say that I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I actually kind of enjoy it.

Disney purchasing Marvel has not seen an injection of Iron Man into the Kingdom Hearts universe; I would be surprised to see the Lucasfilms acquisition be any different.

Star Wars is already a part of the Disney family. I mean Star Tours is one of Disneyland's most popular attractions. Marvel doesn't come close to the kind of kinship that Disney and Star Wars already has, so I don't see why Kingdom Hearts with Star Wars wouldn't be a great match.

I mean, Jedi Mickey has existed for years.

Mercen-X
11-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Fixed.

Naturally, the Trade Federation and the Galactic Empire would be replaced altogether by the Heartless. In this case, the Heartless would invade Naboo with Darth Maul. In this way, I don't know how their interference would still cause a time flux. I guess that because Sora's main objective is to stop the Heartless, they would try to stop the invasion of Naboo and it would actually be Sora's interference that haphazardly results in the merged timeline. It would certainly help to explain this if Square licensed Ultimecia to appear at this world although to date, they've only ever included one FF villain in the games (Sephiroth).

Del Murder
11-02-2012, 12:12 AM
The transition from Jedi to keyblade master is pretty easy. Hell they pretty much are the Jedi of the KH universe.

I could see a Star Wars world in a KH game much more than a Marvel world. The problem with Marvel is that all the different heroes have their own thing going on. I could definitely see a Mos Eisley world or more likely a *shudder* Endor world heavily involving the two iconic Star Wars droids.

Darth Vader is trying to steal the Ewoks' hearts and with the help of 3PO, R2, and Chewbacca (I wish), Sora & co. save the day. Doesn't require a single 'live action' human to work.

Jiro
11-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Lego Star Wars worked. I don't see why a more cartoony Star Wars world in KH wouldn't go alright.

Ouch!
11-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Star Wars is already a part of the Disney family. I mean Star Tours is one of Disneyland's most popular attractions. Marvel doesn't come close to the kind of kinship that Disney and Star Wars already has, so I don't see why Kingdom Hearts with Star Wars wouldn't be a great match.

I mean, Jedi Mickey has existed for years.
I hardly see how that's relevant. Sure, Lucas and Disney have had a mutually profitable business arrangement for a long time (except for that one time when he approached Disney about making the movie in the first place and his proposal got shot down), but that does not mean that suddenly we're going to see Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts.

Disney owns numerous properties, but we haven't seen a huge influx of all that material. Instead, it took us until KH3D--the seventh major installment in the series!--to get a substantial bunch of new worlds.

I think the best way I could possibly put this is that Disney has owned Pixar outright for six years. Several Kingdom Hearts games have been made and released in those past six years. If we haven't seen a Toy Story or Monsters Inc. world yet, why is anyone even entertaining the idea that suddenly they're going to get Star Wars in the mix as if it's even remotely likely?

Del Murder
11-02-2012, 07:14 PM
How about this. When Endor world pops up in KH3 you can eat your big red chapeau?

Miriel
11-02-2012, 11:17 PM
I hardly see how that's relevant. Sure, Lucas and Disney have had a mutually profitable business arrangement for a long time (except for that one time when he approached Disney about making the movie in the first place and his proposal got shot down), but that does not mean that suddenly we're going to see Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts.

Disney owns numerous properties, but we haven't seen a huge influx of all that material. Instead, it took us until KH3D--the seventh major installment in the series!--to get a substantial bunch of new worlds.

I think the best way I could possibly put this is that Disney has owned Pixar outright for six years. Several Kingdom Hearts games have been made and released in those past six years. If we haven't seen a Toy Story or Monsters Inc. world yet, why is anyone even entertaining the idea that suddenly they're going to get Star Wars in the mix as if it's even remotely likely?

I think you're being delusional if you think that Star Wars in Kingdom hears is not even "remotely likely". It might not happen, sure. But it's obviously possible. How likely was it that Disney would even buy LuscaFilms? How many people anticipated THAT, despite the relationship the two companies shared?

And the relevance is that there's already been crossover between Disney and Star Wars, aka, Jedi Mickey. There is no such Buzz Mickey Lightyear or anything like that. Pixar worlds have always been really separate. Although it would be really cool to see a Monster's Inc world.

Ouch!
11-02-2012, 11:55 PM
It is possible that Star Wars will appear in a future Kingdom Hearts title; that does not make it likely. Right now, there's no good reason to act like this is going to happen. I don't care to validate possibilities unless there's something that makes them probabilities. At this point, it's still nothing more than fanboy wishing.

On the other hand, Pixar in Kingdom Hearts is significantly more likely than Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts. In the Kingdom Hearts 3D Ultimania, an interview with Nomura was published in which he was asked which new Disney worlds he would like to see in Kingdom Hearts. His response was that he really, really wants Pixar worlds in the game and that he's working on ideas for it already. Also, Pixar and Disney characters are already set to meet in a new game currently titled Disney's "Toy Box." Not much news about that yet, but that's another step in the direction of Pixar in Kingdom Hearts.

And Del, you've got a bet. If a Star Wars world is in Kingdom Hearts 3, I will eat my chapeau. However that would work.

Mercen-X
11-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Ouch!ie, man, part of the fun of fictional works is to conjecture on ideas that would ROCK the mixture. I don't honestly believe Star Wars would become part of the KH universe before the KH franchise ends... Marvel either. But it's still fun to wonder how it would work. While it's true, we could do this with literally ANYTHING, only the titles owned by Disney (or even Square Enix) fall within the realm of relatively realistic expectation.

As for the Star Wars world, I quote Barf on Spaceballs "praying to God!" Also praying that god forbid the planet be Endor. I am murderous toward those useless little bears... and no, Barney Stinson's theory is wrong. I had a few teddy bears growing up, but the ugly rabid little savages on Star Wars certainly didn't remind me of them. I would rather the planet be Kashyyyk if we needed a planet of furries. The most logical choice is a combo of Coruscant and the Death Star a la Olympus and the Underworld.

Marvel also can be as relevant to the franchise as Final Fantasy. Originally, all of the FF characters were introduced randomly and even in 2 and BBS it seems to suggest that not all FF characters originate from Radiant Garden. So it leaves open the possibility that Marvel characters could play just as random a role in the story as the FF characters. We just have to decide which ones would best fit the tone of the game. As unknown as he may be, 3-D Man seems to fit the story-writing process of KH. Perhaps Doctor Strange, Beta Ray Bill, Black Panther, Shen Kuei (maybe?), Dazzler, Fin Fang Foom (as a villain of course), Howard the Duck (imagine his conversations with Donald), Rocket Raccoon, Iron Fist, Joseph (Magneto's clone), Jubilee, Shadowcat, Magik, Armor, Multiple Man (villain), Namor, Nightcrawler, The Asgardians, Justin Hammer, Prowler, Puck, Rhino, the Rose, Sabretooth, Sasquatch, Straw Man, Scarlet Spider (yes, his outfit looks ridiculous but it's better than the real Spider-Man) though I'd rather see Spider-Man Noir, She-Hulk, Sif... I'm getting tired now.

Ouch!
11-04-2012, 12:58 AM
I guess here's the thing where I just don't get it. Why the hell does anyone even want Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts? Star Wars is cool. Kingdom Hearts is cool. I think they would be absolutely awful when put together. The tone is wrong. The art direction is wrong. Star Wars never plays second fiddle to anything and--as a franchise--is too overpowering to mix with the original characters of Kingdom Hearts without taking something away from them.

It's just all bad.

Formalhaut
11-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Unless they had it as an overarching plot. KHI had Maleficent as the de facto antagonist for much of the game, though Ansem was the *main* antagonist.

I see no reason why Darth Vader or someone could be the secondary antagonist just as Maleficent was for KHI (and KHII partly as well come to think of it)

Mercen-X
11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
That actually sounds pretty good too. But it would more like 2 where you deal more often with Pete. Darth Vader would be the one you're encountering on pretty much every world and then you'd find out he's working for the Emperor. Except, for different purpose. Maleficent was seeking a power that would increase her magic as that's what she believes in. Darth Vader may have "faith in the Force", but there is science behind it. I think they would be trying to find a way to duplicate the power of the Keyblade which somehow proves to be stronger than the lightsaber (as anything that can be explained can be defeated). So Darth Vader will be making multiple attempts to steal Sora's Keyblade, but instead settles for kidnapping keyblade wielders Kairi and Riku and Mickey.

Ouch!
11-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Do these ideas actually sound like good things in your heads?

Yes. Let's add Darth Vader as an overarching villain in addition to Pete and Maleficent and Master Xehanort with all of his friends. Because what this series really needs right now is another villain in addition to the bunch we already have.

Del Murder
11-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Hell yeah it's a good idea! An epic Vader-Sora lightsaber-keyblade battle would be epic. The series has a lot of villains, but they keep getting reused over and over with different bodies or whatever. It would be nice to have something fresh.

Ohh! I know what the world would be. Death Star. Sort of like how the Pinocchio and Lilo & Stich worlds worked. You are flying your Gummi ship through space all innocent when BAM a giant orb appears from nowhere and sucks you in its tractor beam.

SuperMillionaire
11-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes, Disney has acquired Lucasfilm, and previously acquired Marvel Comics back in 2009. Perhaps we may see Star Wars, Spider-Man, the Avengers, and other works from their companies in future Kingdom Hearts games.

Mercen-X
11-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Gee, actually, ya know, I was desperately hoping that Vader as an overarching villain would replace Maleficent 'cause I was under the impression that KH3 would be wrapping up the Maleficent/Xehanort plot in a neat little bow (hopefully). So not only would Maleficent be replaced, she would not appear, it's possible Xehanort will be replaced by a villain with separate motives and we may end up with a new Keybearer, to boot. Maybe with a fresh batch of KH characters will come a fresh batch of FF characters too.

Ouch!
11-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I was under the impression everyone was talking about the Xehanort saga. Anything is up for grabs moving forward with a new Kingdom Hearts series not starring Sora. I'm only betting against Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts as we know it. Obviously everything is up for grabs once the Xehanort Sora ends.

Mercen-X
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I definitely do not hope to see Star Wars or Marvel in KH3. Moving beyond that is just like you said, "up for grabs." Just hopefully the right properties are grabbed up.

noshowmillk
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
In the movie, Wreck- It Ralph, they used the soundtrack for Darth Vader's breathing in one scene. Maybe Disney can add some things from Lucas Arts and Marvel Comics without actually making them a big influence on the series. Instead of thinking of adding new villains and heroes, maybe the only changes we will see will just be in the items, music, weapons, etc.

Mercen-X
11-17-2012, 01:42 AM
So we really could still see Lightsaber Keyblades. R2-D2 could cameo. Some Gummis modeled after X-Wings and TIEs perhaps. Ooh! Maybe the Death Star will cameo as a boss fight at the end of a Gummi level.

Fynn
11-17-2012, 08:16 AM
But we already have lightsabers...

Mercen-X
11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Is the 2nd some "Final Mix only" version of Days?

Fynn
11-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Is the 2nd some "Final Mix only" version of Days?

Nah, that's Young Xehanort from when you battle him in BbS. You know, the "Mysterious Figure".

Mercen-X
11-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Damn. I really need to buy a LCD to repair my PSP.

The major reason I lean hard on Disney including more from Star Wars or Marvel is because I already know we can't rely on Squix to include more FF. They're grip is tight.

Fynn
11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Why not just more KH?

Mercen-X
11-19-2012, 10:14 PM
I mean in KH. We're not discussing Star Wars sequels or Marvel movies or Final Fantasy titles. We know those are gonna happen. I mean who appears in KH.

OR ARE YOU SAYING YOU WANT MORE KH ORIGINAL CHARACTERS? 'CAUSE THAT WOULD ALSO BE GOOD.

Fynn
11-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I mean in KH. We're not discussing Star Wars sequels or Marvel movies or Final Fantasy titles. We know those are gonna happen. I mean who appears in KH.

OR ARE YOU SAYING YOU WANT MORE KH ORIGINAL CHARACTERS? 'CAUSE THAT WOULD ALSO BE GOOD.

I love the random use of all caps :p

Anyway, yeah, I think I would prefer more original content. Also, I would love it if the Disney characters got more focus - it's a bit weird without Donald and Goofy and I honestly think Hollow Bastion was the best thing in coded thanks to them. But I don't really care if they add anything Star Wars-related, since at this point it would be of no consequence to the main storyline.

Mercen-X
11-21-2012, 01:53 AM
YEAH, PERSONALLY, I WOULD LIKE A MORE INTERACTIVE ROLE FOR MICKEY. Donald and Goofy, I usually shrug at. Maybe Sora should get shrunk and fight beside Chip and Dale. I'D LIKE TO SEE THEM SPORTING THEIR RESCUE RANGER ATTIRE.