PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who didn't like Sahz?

Hollycat
11-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I like what he has to go through, the struggles, but honestly I don't ge the human vibe from him everyone else does.

Slothy
11-03-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure how it's possible you don't get the human vibe from him when he was the only remotely realistic or relateable character in the game.

Formalhaut
11-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah, Sazh is the "average Joe" character, as completely evidenced during the first chapter. He's like a bumbling idiot sometimes! Which, to be fair, is exactly how we would be in that situation. He's the only one with a child (Though Hope is sometimes more annoying than Dajh..)

I really like Sazh. I can relate to him more.

Laddy
11-04-2012, 05:31 AM
I felt Sazh was an excellent character and that he in particular deserved a better game.

Basically, he was just an ordinary dude who was way over his head yet still wanted to do what was right. He was also the only person who acted with any bit of logic or direction for the first part of the game. xD

WildRaubtier
11-04-2012, 08:22 AM
AND he had a Chicobo in his afro. How can you not like the guy.

Formalhaut
11-04-2012, 02:16 PM
The only annoyance with Sazh is that he is somewhat superseded later in the game by everyone else. His main roles are commando, ravager and synergist. He has a slow rate of fire with his gunkata style though his blitz is somewhat effective. He lacks two elements for his ravager so he is not exactly versatile and while he is the only source of bravery and faith for much of the game Hope does get them eventually and Fang gets the -ra versions of both.

Not to mention after Chapter 9 he just blends into the background somewhat.

Bolivar
11-09-2012, 01:37 AM
He's ok. Not the "only damn redeeming thing about the game" hero he's made to be. I like all the characters.

Red Mage Coffman
11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
You are the only one who doesn't like Sazh... Kidding.

I love him to death. And he was the most human character in the game. Everytime I show XIII to a friend, Sazh is their favorite. Why? They say he is, well, funny, chill, awesome, not totally unbelievable, and so on. Is he MY favorite? No, not really. I like, oh God hear it comes, Hope better. Yes, I thought that whiny, Tidus lookalike, pansy was relatable. I hated the little fucker up until Chapter 6. After that... he really drilled past my critic exterior. I guess you could say every character did that... he just drilled the farthest.

Anyways, I think Sazh is an awesome character and he is probably my 4th favorite. He beats Vanille times ten.

Polnareff
11-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Can't stand him. He sucks in battle, and is basically the token black guy. Too bad they also kinda made him act stereotypical too, always spouting off stupid one-liners from the blaxploitation days. The guns are another crazy touch, as if he couldn't be any more token than what he already was. Even funnier, he just blends into the background after a certain point, while everyone else gets to thrive.

kotora
11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Can't stand him. He sucks in battle, and is basically the token black guy. Too bad they also kinda made him act stereotypical too, always spouting off stupid one-liners from the blaxploitation days. The guns are another crazy touch, as if he couldn't be any more token than what he already was. Even funnier, he just blends into the background after a certain point, while everyone else gets to thrive.

Same here. He was alright for the few moments in the story that he appeared in, but he was still just the token black guy. At least this time around they made it a more sophisticated role than Barett.

blackmage_nuke
11-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I like Sahz save for the fact that at times his lines are really cliche (eg. "I'm getting too old for this") and he has to hang around Vanille for the first half of the game.

Raistlin
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Can't stand him. He sucks in battle, and is basically the token black guy. Too bad they also kinda made him act stereotypical too, always spouting off stupid one-liners from the blaxploitation days. The guns are another crazy touch, as if he couldn't be any more token than what he already was.

Sazh is the least token, sterotypical black guy in the series. Barret, anyone? The only thing blatantly stereotypical about Sazh is the hair; otherwise, he is just a well-developed, realistic, relatable character. Definitely a lone bright spot for FFXIII's otherwise pitiful writing.

I never used him in battle after I had a choice, though.

Formalhaut
11-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Sazh isn't really stereotypical; Barret was, but then you know, Barret. I suppose if you were to look at every single possible stereotype he fulfills the comedic black guy routine, but then again, I found Sazh to be too unique to fit even that role. He begins as a typical comedian but then he transforms in chapter six to have real emotional depth to boot. You didn't really get any emotional depth from Barret past the swearing.

Mirage
11-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Barret was actually made more stereotypical in the English translation than he was in the original japanese script. Or so I hear.

Besides, even if he might be stereotypical, hot headed, strong black men with tattoos actually do exist!

In either case: No, HC, you are not the only one who did not like Sazh, but you guys sure are a minority.

nirojan
11-13-2012, 12:47 AM
I'll admit, I didn't have him in my party and whatever, but he wasn't a bad character. He had a real genuine reason for being in the party (trying to save his son and what not). He wasn't really whiny or otherwise irritating (looking at you Hope and Vanille).

All in all, a good addition to the team and not to mention fills out their racial quota for the squad (you know I'm right).

Laddy
11-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Sazh wasn't cowardly, he was reluctant to fight. He wasn't weak, he was inexperienced. He was a joke character, he was witty. Plus he was the only person in the game who didn't either act like an asshat or go all mopey for an extended period of time.

blackmage_nuke
11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I used Sazh in my party because of his awesome haste early on but once Hope learns it Sazh becomes less useful since Hope has Medic(I suck at controlling the medic and I let Hope heal for me).