PDA

View Full Version : Wreck-It Ralph

Laddy
11-04-2012, 05:21 AM
I just went to see this film; I enjoyed it and I believe it deserves the praise it's getting. It was sweet and funny, especially as a gamer. However, it's best aspect is the video game references, with the coolest being a Final Fantasy VII one.

Click:http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121019021932/finalfantasy/images/thumb/d/d2/Wreck-it_Ralph_-_Aerith_Death_Reference.png/640px-Wreck-it_Ralph_-_Aerith_Death_Reference.png

I freaked out when I saw that. :D

So, who's seen it and what did you think?

DMKA
11-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Holy cow, there's an FF reference?

I will watch this movie eventually. I used to watch every canon Disney film released, but my significant other doesn't like them.

rubah
11-04-2012, 06:11 AM
the theater we went to see it at had a mini arcade set up in the lobby. two people in my party managed to get the high scores on Pac Man and Super Mario Bros!

A lot of people also played the cabinet set up with Fixit Felix Jr., but Donkey Kong got no love...

Mercen-X
11-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Won't be in theaters here until March. I like how they chose canon spelling as opposed to the fan preference.

maybee
11-04-2012, 07:19 AM
but my significant other doesn't like them.

I would get a new lover.....

Evastio
11-05-2012, 02:28 AM
I'm really looking forward to watching this movie once I get the chance.

Here's some interesting bits of trivia for you: Zangief isn't actually a bad guy in the Street Fighter series. One of the producers in the movie really didn't like Zangief as a CPU opponent back in the day, finding him cheap and irritating, so as a result he viewed him as a bad guy, and to reflect that made him one in the movie. Similarly, Smoke and Cyrax from Mortal Kombat aren't bad guys either (well, Smoke is only a bad guy in MK3 and MK:Deception, where he's unwillingly mind-controlled in both games, and Cyrax is in a similar boat in MK3 and MK9), yet they both show up in the Bad Guys Anonymous club.

The various companies whose bad guys were used in the Bad Guys Anonymous club kept wanting changes to be done in regards to how they depicted their characters. They wanted their villain characters to be increased in size to reflect their actual size in their games. Eventually, it came to the point where Ralph was a midget in a room full of giants.

Mario was meant to cameo in Wreck It Ralph, but they couldn't really find a way to have him cameo so that his cameo would be major enough to pay respect to him, yet wouldn't majorly impact the story. They are wanting to ensure he has a cameo for a potential sequel.

Sephex
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Shameless plug time! Spoilers about the first 20 mins or so, but he is my review of it:

Mainstream With Niche Tendencies – A Wreck-It Ralph Review | Primary Ignition (http://www.primaryignition.com/2012/11/04/mainstream-with-niche-tendencies-a-wreck-it-ralph-review/)

Laddy
11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Shameless plug time! Spoilers about the first 20 mins or so, but he is my review of it:

Mainstream With Niche Tendencies – A Wreck-It Ralph Review | Primary Ignition (http://www.primaryignition.com/2012/11/04/mainstream-with-niche-tendencies-a-wreck-it-ralph-review/)

That was a good review. It was informative and balanced. :love:

Sephex
11-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the read!

Lonely Paper Star
11-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Saw the movie Thursday night. LOVED IT. I totally didn't notice that FFVII reference, though. That's pretty awesome. :O

sharkythesharkdogg
11-11-2012, 08:13 PM
.....was great.

Is how that sentence is supposed to end.

Agent Proto
11-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I just got around to watching it. It was actually very heartwarming, so I thoroughly enjoyed it very much. I also liked the opening cartoon, Paper Man. That was cute.

Pike
11-12-2012, 01:53 AM
I loved everything about this movie except for the fact that I was the only one in the entire theater laughing at most of the references. :colbert:

Depression Moon
11-12-2012, 04:42 AM
I loved everything about this movie except for the fact that I was the only one in the entire theater laughing at most of the references. :colbert:

You must've been the one sitting next to me.

maybee
11-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Oh wow. Didn't really expected it to be such a tear-jerker. Tears all the way through. The start, middle and end. Gosh damn it Disney. Why do you always have to be so sad ? :cry:

Shiny
11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh wow, I had an entirely different experience. Sometimes watching a good movie in a theater can ruin it for you. Case in point:

The theater I was in was full of gamer nerds. Everyone that I went with was a gamer nerd, so of course, much laughs in the theater and overly obnoxious people going, "I GET IT". Every time Sonic came up some bro was like, "YAY WOW IT'S SONIC". I was like stfu in my head. In a movie that features a bunch of video game characters about a video game world, it's hard to get excited when there's a friggin' video game character in it. This made it hard for me to enjoy the film. The crowd was overly obnoxious throughout. What I enjoyed more was the cute, short film done right before the feature. In my opinion, the writing for the short was better than Wreck-it-Ralph, but again I think the experience of watching Wreck-it-Ralph in a theater ruined my overall enjoyment. When it comes on television, I will probably love it.

Sephex
11-17-2012, 08:20 PM
YAY SHINY!!

Mercen-X
11-18-2012, 05:04 AM
I just went to the movies to watch Breaking Dawn pt2 and I saw a poster: Wreck-It-Ralph, Nov.2. Sheesh. I have to go see that tomorrow despite the fact tonight's movie was supposed to hold me until March.

Del Murder
11-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Sorry man, you lost all credibility about 10 words into that post.

Mercen-X
11-18-2012, 08:01 PM
It was my mom dragging me. Still it takes up my movie alotment for a few months. If I watch Wreck-It-Ralph now, I can't watch Retaliation in March. Somebody give me some damned money to watch these things!

theundeadhero
11-19-2012, 01:09 AM
There's a local restaurant back home that still has the arcade game Tapper in it. I used to play it as a kid. I was so happy when I saw that reference.

Shiny
11-23-2012, 07:00 AM
It was my mom dragging me.

A likely story.

My boyfriend wants to go see that too. What do you do when almost everything he wants to watch is gay? Desperate Housewives, Twilight, Lifetime shows, movies with Hugh Jackman in it...

If he says he wants watch Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, that's it. It will seal the deal that he's gay. At least he was adamant about going to see this film at least and is now his favorite movie of the year.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I.....that...that's basically the same list of things my girlfriend makes me watch.

Maybe we could set up a play date for them and they can watch that crap together? Then we'll have free time and not suffer horribly because The Hills is playing in the background.

Shiny
11-26-2012, 12:30 AM
He also watches New Adventure of Old Christine. He's basically either gay or a 40 year old white woman in disguise.

Yeargdribble
11-26-2012, 03:01 AM
SPOILERS BELOW

I loved it. It actually ended up being far less referential than I'd expected and that's okay. I really wasn't sure if I was feeling it until around half-way through, but the last half was amazing. The way everything had to weave together at the end to make it work was just great.

I sobbed when Ralph broke her car. Oh man, that was such a kick in the feels. Also, when Ralph basically decided to sacrifice himself. I'm disappointed that moments like that are a little robbed simply because I know that deus ex machina will kick in to save any character from a valiant, self-sacrificing death. But still, trying to ignore that, in the moment, I really loved that moment, and the save was nice too.

I really liked Sarah Silverman's voice acting. Holy crap did Vanellope have epic limbal rings. It just shows how these people know the kinds of things that make you drawn to characters in a creepy, psychologically manipulative, self-conscious way. But hey, it's still fun

Laddy
11-26-2012, 03:40 AM
My boyfriend wants to go see that too. What do you do when almost everything he wants to watch is gay? Desperate Housewives, Twilight, Lifetime shows, movies with Hugh Jackman in it...

If he says he wants watch Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, that's it. It will seal the deal that he's gay. At least he was adamant about going to see this film at least and is now his favorite movie of the year.
I didn't know how to tell you. :(

Yeargdribble
11-26-2012, 04:51 PM

I didn't know how to tell you. :(

While I can't abide pretty much any of that stuff on Shiny's list, Hugh Jackman is undoubtedly the hottest man on the planet. Not only is he good looking, but he's a charming guy on screen and off, as well as musically talented and not afraid to do things that aren't always considered masculine.

Seriously, sexiest man alive.

Oh, and I'm still pretty sure I'm straight, though I have to wonder about Shiny's man. That's really pushing a credulity.

blackmage_nuke
12-22-2012, 12:44 PM
I know Im a few months behind but damn if i'll let Australia's crummy release dates stop me from voicing my pointless opinion on the internet.

It was great, I loved how the building tennants were animated. Genuinely did not see the villain twist coming. I was the only one in the cinema who laughed at all the horrible candy puns. I also cant get all those ending credits songs out of my head
Wish I had seen it in 3d but that screening was too late for the friends I went with.

Del Murder
12-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Saw it today since it came to the theater across the street from my place. It was really good! Very well written, setting the 'big twist' up nicely without being obvious at all. Also the video game character cameos were well done and did not appear forced. It was also really funny and heartwarming. Definitely on par with some of Pixar's films, and it beats Brave by a mile.

charliepanayi
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
It's finally out in the UK!

I really enjoyed it (can't believe I missed the FFVII reference and didn't realise Alan Tudyk was voicing King Candy until the end), especially the final third or so. And Paperman beforehand is just wonderful.

Clo
02-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I totally missed the FF reference.

Also, too much Candyland.

black orb
02-14-2013, 08:54 AM
>>> Sound good to me, Im too cheap for a theater so I guess I`ll wait for the pirated DVD release..:luca:

Shauna
02-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Genuinely did not see the villain twist coming.

Seriously. Like, when it happened everything clicked and I said to myself "I really should have seen that coming". Well played, Disney.

But I thoroughly enjoyed it. The references were great, but more than that the characters and the story were wonderful. :) I would entirely go see it again. :D

Chris
02-27-2013, 10:14 AM
I saw it yesterday and I thought it was sweet. I was too busy watching the movie, that I entirely missed any of the references. :(