PDA

View Full Version : Which do you like better? X or X-2? Why?

Red Mage Coffman
11-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I won't even lie. I liked X-2 better. It restored the Job system, to some extent, I liked the direcion Square Enix was going with it, had plenty of content, some stupid like making monkeys mate to the famous Blitzball we all love, had plenty of fanservice, (Kidding) and, overall, appealed to me more than X did.

Now, gimme your opinion. Which is better and why?

Karifean
11-08-2012, 08:13 PM
X for me, without any doubt. Why? Because I think it's the best in the series. X-2 has great gameplay and optional challenges, but it put you into these "oh my god this is stupid..." moments (Massaging Leblanc anyone?) and I think the story was nothing special and it might've even hurt the Spiran mythology somewhat. But then again, I have to give it props for having the best optional dungeon in FF (IMO).

FFIX Choco Boy
11-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I really enjoyed both games, and they are in my top 5 of Final Fantasies alongside IX, VII, and Tactics Advanced 2. However, I did like X more, but only just.

For X, the sphere grid system and combat systems were things I absolutely adored. That's just because I love being able to plan my moves out, though, so seeing the order people would go in battle, or the path I could take for leveling, was a nice change up for me. Blitzball was a lot of fun, almost as good as Chocobo Hot and Cold, and anyone who knows me knows I've spent more time playing that than the actual IX game(Even though IX is still my favorite game OF ALL TIME). The story was really good, and all the characters except for Tidus (Yes, even Wakka and Jecht) were great, relateable in ways, and had very likable personalities. The only real drawbacks were the low number of locations and towns, Tidus, how too-easy the game was, Tidus, getting Lulu, Tidus, and Kimahri's sigils, Tidus, the only low-to-moderate replayability, and Tidus.

For X-2, I also enjoyed the leveling, class, and battle systems. It was new and fresh for the series, the full-active battle system(for the most part) was fun in a new way that X's wasn't, learning abilities was done awesomely, and the fact that levels only granted stat boosts rather than new skills meant you never had to grind, just plan your abilities well. New Game Plus was of course a really good thing to put in the game, combined with the higher replayability compared to X, and the divergent story arcs (even though they ultimately made almost no difference). The only drawbacks were that there still weren't many locations, there were almost no new places to explore, the 100% ending wasn't worth all the work for it, they screwed Blitzball up, and not being able to have any other characters in your party kind of sucked. Oh, and Tidus.

Karifean
11-08-2012, 09:19 PM
not being able to have any other characters in your party kind of sucked.

To be fair, the releases outside of Japan were unfinished. The complete version called "Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission" was only released in Japan and it does in fact give you the option of putting other party members in your party. That's not to say you can't judge the game by the version we got, but I just thought it'd be good to mention.

Btw, Tidus is a good character. :colbert:

FFIX Choco Boy
11-09-2012, 12:23 AM
I've seen and played a little bit of both INT versions of X and X-2, but I didn't get far enough to really judge them, so I'm withholding anything I say about them. And, no. Tidus was in no way a good character.

Flaming Ice
11-09-2012, 12:38 AM
X
\\\

x-2 ..sometimes girls are just a little overdone =/

Depression Moon
11-09-2012, 01:43 AM
X. Better music and better story.

X-2. Better battle system.

Red Mage Coffman
11-09-2012, 03:31 PM
I hate Tidus, I won't even lie. I liked him in Dissidia though. Hell, I even liked Squall more in Dissida. Dissidia stahp.

Anyways, I enjoyed X-2 more. And yes. There were horribly stupid moments. I could make a mountain of shit out of all the bad moments in that game. So much crap, it literally destroyed the Spira that I knew in X. I don't know if anyone noticed this but me, but even the Machina in X-2 dissolve into Pyreflies, or whatever, when killed. It really bugged me, random I know. I could easily rip this game up in five seconds if I wanted to. I just enjoyed playing it more. I enjoyed Yuna being the protagonist, as I believed she should have been the protagonist in X. I enjoyed how the Job system was revived through Dress Spheres, even though the concept is stupid. I even enjoyed getting the Leblanc Sydicate outfits, all that fanservice. Not really, don't worry.

I am basing this of gameplay though... The story for X-2 felt like Charlies Angels. It was really... I don't even know what words to use. I like the direction of it though. I always felt more lighthearted then sad, and this game has the best scene of any Final Fantasy game I have ever seen. The scene were Yuna sings to Sphere. Given the location, the idea, and the conditions, I thought it was a stupid idea, only worthy of the Gullwings. Hell, Buddy, that idiot, had a better plan than this. But... the scene really moved me. It showed Lenne and Shinyu's story in one beautiful, well crafted cinematic and it was amazing.

Oh, and just for the record... I could rip Tidus into shreds. I hated that little... Gah. I hated him so much I did everything in my power to prevent his return. I watched the perfect ending on Youtube and left angry. Hearing that voice just makes me wanna die... Okay, done.

Goldenboko
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
X-2 over X? How could you. I thought we were friends.

noshowmillk
11-09-2012, 04:45 PM
X was way better in my opinion! Tidus was a completely tolerable character and even though I had those awkward moments were he did some of the dumbest shit ever, he was still ok.

Red Mage Coffman
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM
X-2 over X? How could you. I thought we were friends.

I'm sorry. Just... Tidus. If it helps any I prefered the story of X more.

Laddy
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
X-2, it lacks the self-importance and terrible writing of the original and replaces it with not even trying.

Formalhaut
11-09-2012, 06:38 PM
X-2 had so many good ideas, but it's story was average for me. Also, I just got an air of the developers being laidback and relaxed with the whole thing. I agree with Laddy, it felt unimportant. It felt slightly half-assed. While FFXIII for many was also a slightly bad game (Not for me, loved it) there was no doubt Square Enix worked damn hard on it. X-2 just seemed slightly rushed for me.

Still, for what it was, I really liked it. The job system was good though some jobs just plain dominated. I'm looking at you Dark Knight, Alchemist and Mascot :mad2:. The garment grid system was also good but again a few GGs were just far superior. The stat ones were great (Flash of Steel etc.) as well as the obvious end game grids (Higher Power, Font of Power etc). The battle system was well thought out and I liked it and I did love the great wealth of optional stuff which sometimes links back to FFX. Most of the storyline missions were actually somewhat interesting as well. The Via Infinito was genuinely difficult after cloister fifty or so.

Overall? I prefered X's story and "effort", but then I liked the core concepts X-2 brung. However, those concepts were not developed enough so I should have to go with X, but then only just

maybee
11-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Final Fantasy X because better story, better music, better characters because like Paine is just Squall just like female... like really different stuff there Square. And better battle system. The Final Fantasy X-2 battle system is fun but doesn't beat the FF X system.

Thank god there was no Final Fantasy X-3 can you imagine a female version of Cecil or Bartz ? Named Harmful or Rough or Rage or something.

DMKA
11-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Final Fantasy X of course! It's just a fantastic game, one of the best FFs, definitely one of the best JRPGs ever, and frankly, one of the best games ever made in my humble opinion. The story was great, the battle system was great, the soundtrack was great, I loved the look and feel of Spira, and with the exception of the protagonist, it had possibly my favorite cast of characters in an FF game. X comes second to only VII in my favorite FF titles.

The one thing I actually liked better about X-2 was the battle system and the job/ability system that goes along with it. It's hands down the best battle system of any FF game, in my opinion. Too bad you never really get to use it to it's full potential, or even half it's potential, thanks to all the battles either being piss easy or, in the Via Infinito's case, unforgivingly hard. Of course, by that point you have catnip, which in turn makes said unforgivingly hard battles also, like the aforementioned, piss easy.

I do like both games though.

Henry Pease
11-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Well for me it is X over X-2 because it has better story layout and really more excited to play in comparison to X-2.

James_Cub
11-18-2012, 07:53 AM
I liked X better for a variety of reasons, although it is definitely not in my top 5 of FFs.
It had a darker tone, I'm not a cheery person, so X-2 kind of annoyed me in that way. People who are happy and smiley might have appreciated that fact about it, I didn't.
Like someone else here stated, it sort of sucked that you could only have the girls in your team. I know that in the International version allowed you to have extra people, but I didn't play that, so I can't really say how good it would have been to see Kimahri change clothes too.
I did enjoy the Job system in X-2, but after a while it sort of became boring, everyone has their gameplay styles, I personally am a melee kind of person, normal attacks all the way, minimum magic and summons, it depends. X-2's jobs weren't varied enough to keep me going and by the end of it I would just stick to the dark knight or something like it, purely because it had the highest Str stat.
Also, X-2 felt a bit farfetched, I mean X war wierd enough with Tidus and Jecht being carried through time and all. But X-2 was even crazier: Zanarkand a tourist attraction, Yuna grows a huge ponytail in 2 years, Brother seems like he has a crush on his cousin, the bartender is a Hypello, Paine hardly talks and God knows how she came to be with them two, considering how cheery and happy they both are, the Crimson Squad, Montblanc's group, New Yevon and Youth League (Democrats vs Republicans anyone?), anyway, I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed these bits and it made them laugh, but there's only so much stupidity you can put in one game.