PDA

View Full Version : The Stigmas Of Gaming

Jaffar
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Orc Assassin Rogue wins Senate seat
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/11/0...wins_election/

Colleen Lachowicz, aka Rogue Orc Assassin Santiaga in World of Warcraft, has won a seat in Maine's State Senate.

Lachowiz became one of the weirder stories of the US election when her Republican opponents decided to pick on the fact she's an avid WoW player. Lachowiz's character, Santiaga, has reached the 85th level.

Maine's Republican party issued a press release describing Lachowiz's WoW habit as a “bizarre double life” and saying that some of her pronouncements about in-game activities “raise questions about Lachowicz’s maturity and her ability to make serious decisions for the people of Senate District 25.”

The attack also quoted statistics reporting the average WoW player spends over 20 hours a week in the game. Playing for that amount of time, Republicans insinuated, might not be compatible with the work habits of a good State Senator.

When the attacks came to light, gamers rallied, donating to Lachowiz's campaign and pointing out that playing WoW, and indeed any other game, is entirely normal these days.

Lachowiz has had the last laugh, unseating her opponent handily.

Her campaign Facebook page now features a link to the Victory Fanfare from Final Fantasy IV, posted “for my gamer friends.”

This Is Simply Hilarious My Friends! Because Jaffar Is A Gamer In A Place Where Such Things Are Looked Down On. Unfortunately For Such Place, Jaffar's Desire to Play At His Hearts Content The Joys Of FF Is UnCurbable! Jaffar May Certainly Relate To This Awesome Woman.

Jaffar Then Asks, Have Any Of The Great Members Here In EOFF Experienced Such Stigma For Enjoying The Leisure Of Gaming?

Laddy
11-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Ha! Awesome. xD

Psychotic
11-09-2012, 06:16 PM
He's... he's back?!

Shauna
11-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Jaffar is back. What does this mean for EoFF?

Peegee
11-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Reminds me of the backlash when Anita Sarkeesian started spewing gibberish about how all vidya were sexist against females.

You don't mess with gamers. I lub this story.

Formalhaut
11-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Jaffar is back. What does this mean for EoFF?

Carnage. That is what will ensue. Anyway, I find gaming to be a major stigma, I try not to talk about friends about games in fear of being looked upon with disdain. Wearing glasses probably doesn't help with the stereotype. I can't imagine what being in a position of authority would be.

Just because your part of the senate / congress / businessmen whatever doesn't mean you can't relax slaying orcs or drawing aggro away from the friends (Actually, drawing aggro is what they do on a daily basis in politics, so it makes good practice.

Chris
11-09-2012, 07:14 PM
This means nothing to me. Nothing.

Jowy
11-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I like that she has the best rendition of the Final Fantasy fanfare posted. Another reason to move to Maine...:aimsun:

Shorty
11-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Someone explain this phenomenon to me.

DK
11-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Jaffar <3 I was reading my old PM's the other day and found some from you. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Nice to see you again.

Pike
11-09-2012, 08:07 PM
At least she's an orc because I don't know if I would've voted for a rogue otherwise.

Or a death knight, for that matter.

Jaffar
11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
My Friends! Psychotic, Shauna, DK! Hahaha! Jaffar Still Remembers His Friends! Jaffar Will Always Return To EOFF As Long As There Are Friends Here To Greet. It Has Been Very Long But Jaffar's Absence Was Not Without Much Preoccupation. In The Many Recent Years Jaffar Has Traveled To Many Places And Among His Favorite Is Deutschland. So Many Stories Do I Have To Tell My Friends. Meeting New And Amazing Friends, Learning The Venerable German Tongue, And Of Course Falling In Love With The Most Exciting Companion, And For So Many Years.

Jaffar Now Has Returned To The Glorious Beaches Of Florida. Truly Jaffar Is Happy To See EOFF Is In Good Health And All His Friends Have Not Vanished.

Jowy
11-09-2012, 08:11 PM
orcs are the best choice in every situation.

Shauna
11-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Hahaha! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures, Jaffar!

Faris
11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Holy crap, have there been enough come backs this year? Who's left?!

Jiro
11-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't know if there is necessarily a stigma in my area, but most people I associate with are young-ish. I have heard a lot of negative comments off-handed about gaming and the internet though, so I guess there's that. It's not something I worry about; ain't no fuckers gonna take my gaming away.

Agent Proto
11-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Well, welcome back then, Jaffar! Glad to see all is well in this world of yours. :)

Old Manus
11-09-2012, 11:36 PM
At least she's an orc because I don't know if I would've voted for a rogue otherwise.

death knightOh my God. He will be next to return. The prophet has spoken.

NeoCracker
11-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Firstly, welcome back Jaffar. I always miss you in your absence.

Secondly, that is an amazing story.

Mirage
11-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Link doesn't work.

Tigmafuzz
11-10-2012, 02:56 AM
H̟̬̠̫̮̩E̒ͅ ͊́H̝̖̝̯̓̃̿ͩ̿̈A͖͇̰S̙ͯ͆͗̇̉ ̡͖̳͉̤͛̚Ŕ̓̇E̵̹̫̹̳͇̪̓͆ͫT̗̘͖̻̟̰̞U͔͒͟R̺̩N̦ͩ͒̿ͥ̏ͮͣE̴̲̩̠͍̘̙̰̐D̝̹̜̈́ͣ̿ͥͩ͆̔

Jaffar is a smurfing player. Gotdamn. I'm all tingly in where my lady parts would be if they weren't man parts.

Freya
11-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Welcome back Jaffar! We definitely missed you and your wacky ways. :3

I remember hearing about that rep and her wowage. thought it was amusing.