PDA

View Full Version : Play an MMO with me =]

Jojee
11-10-2012, 11:57 AM
After some cursory research into MMOs, I'm thinking of playing one of these:

Wakfu (http://www.wakfu.com/na/mmorpg/game) - old skool graphics, FFT style fighting.

Elsworld (http://www.elswordonline.com/) - action/combo style fighting, like Marvel Super Heroes etc.

Anyone interested? :3

Edit: Okie I decided on Wakfu, since I don't have a mouse... :p

Bahamut2000X
11-10-2012, 11:37 PM
You should play SWTOR, be a sith, and you could be my apprentice. Search your feelings, you know it to be awesome!

Jojee
11-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Star Wars MMO? xD That sounds...awful. *dies*

Skyblade
11-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Well, it's an MMO, so it's going to be awful. But it's one of the better ones I've played. Bioware did a good job, and the stories are great.

Play Reublic though.

Madame Adequate
11-11-2012, 05:23 PM
TORtanic is in fact awful, so much so that it's already going free to play. Avoid.

As for good MMOs;

Do you want a fun casual experience?

Then play WoW.

Do you want an absurdly hardcore experience with astonishing stories and rewards?

Then play EVE.

With City of Heroes gone these are really the only two MMOs that matter.

escobert
11-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Guild Wars 2 > all

Laddy
11-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Guild Wars 2 > all

Pretty much. You have a well-done personal storyline, and excellent combat system. The world is huge and beautiful and there's a buttload if things to do. Plus, there' less grinding and the quests happen more naturally.

Bahamut2000X
11-11-2012, 05:40 PM
TORtanic is in fact awful, so much so that it's already going free to play. Avoid.

Actually this is pretty accurate. It is one of the most mismanaged MMO's I've seen since FF XIV came out. And the stories (the so called high point of the game) is pretty bad for like 80% of it, as so much is filler to keep you playing and lazily written, and that's the GOOD storylines.

But I'm playing it still at the moment (because I'm a horrible idiot) and so that should be more then enough motivation to play any thing.

Plus it's going F2P on Thursday so you got nothing to lose....except a ton of space on your hard drive. >.>

Guild Wars 2 > all

Pretty much. You have a well-done personal storyline, and excellent combat system. The world is huge and beautiful and there's a buttload if things to do. Plus, there' less grinding and the quests happen more naturally.

I'm gonna argue with those statements completely. I played for a week and got bored out of my mind. The story was more abysmal then SWTOR's both in execution and content (it's obvious the GW team didn't emphasis real writers for the story, BW at least hired and trained known writers).

The game play was just boring and everything was too arbitrarily hard. I quit after a dynamic event where the boss would knock you down, then drop an AoE on you. You die from 2 ticks of the aoe while your character stands up from the long animation. There's no healers/support/tanks so combat is just pure chaotic and more about you being selfish to keep yourself alive, then emphasizing team tactics and strategy. Did I mention things hit way too hard? Because I can speak from experience, getting 2-3 shotted is never fun.

The only real plus side the game had was the environments were kinda cool. But the art style and in general lack of immersion didn't help get this point to be any good.

Then again I'm pretty much full cynic with MMO's anymore since I pretty much hate anything that doesn't emphasize the environment and immersion (which is basically all the MMO's anymore).

Aerith's Knight
11-11-2012, 06:32 PM
I tried playing LOTR online. But man, MMO's are way too big for me. I can't leave a place when there is still a quest to be done.

Jojee
11-11-2012, 07:24 PM
WoW is casual? Since whennnnn. @_@

I want something cute and casual. Easy to learn, something I can just play for an hour a day or so and not have to spend my whole life on Dx But cute... cute is necessary.

Skyblade
11-11-2012, 07:28 PM

It's horribly mismanaged, yes, but still better than most of the others. And it is superior to WoW in nearly every way.

Do you want a fun casual experience?

Then play WoW.

Then play WoW 3 or 4 years ago. Everything in WoW now is a rush to the endgame, with practically no other content.

Do you want an absurdly hardcore experience with astonishing stories and rewards?

Then play EVE.

You mean "do you want a second job that is just as mind numbing at the first and tries to get you to pay it?"

Aerith's Knight
11-11-2012, 07:29 PM
So instead of killing giant rats you want to kill.. fuzzy bunnies? Or just hug them to level up?

escobert
11-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Actually this is pretty accurate. It is one of the most mismanaged MMO's I've seen since FF XIV came out. And the stories (the so called high point of the game) is pretty bad for like 80% of it, as so much is filler to keep you playing and lazily written, and that's the GOOD storylines.

But I'm playing it still at the moment (because I'm a horrible idiot) and so that should be more then enough motivation to play any thing.

Plus it's going F2P on Thursday so you got nothing to lose....except a ton of space on your hard drive. >.>

Guild Wars 2 > all

I'm gonna argue with those statements completely. I played for a week and got bored out of my mind. The story was more abysmal then SWTOR's both in execution and content (it's obvious the GW team didn't emphasis real writers for the story, BW at least hired and trained known writers).

The game play was just boring and everything was too arbitrarily hard. I quit after a dynamic event where the boss would knock you down, then drop an AoE on you. You die from 2 ticks of the aoe while your character stands up from the long animation. There's no healers/support/tanks so combat is just pure chaotic and more about you being selfish to keep yourself alive, then emphasizing team tactics and strategy. Did I mention things hit way too hard? Because I can speak from experience, getting 2-3 shotted is never fun.

The only real plus side the game had was the environments were kinda cool. But the art style and in general lack of immersion didn't help get this point to be any good.

Then again I'm pretty much full cynic with MMO's anymore since I pretty much hate anything that doesn't emphasize the environment and immersion (which is basically all the MMO's anymore).

See you played for a week. There's so way you could get anywhere near the fun shit ie WvW, Dungeons, and end game story to have any clue.

Maybe it's because I loved the first game and enjoyed the books that I love the world and story. Dunno, but I don't think it's as bad as a lot of MMO's or games in general that I've played.

Graphically it's FAR Superior to WoW. And granted I haven't played WoW in years but, I'd say game play wise it's also far superior. Unless you're a raid whore then you wouldn't like GW2.

Skyblade
11-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Graphically it's FAR Superior to WoW. And granted I haven't played WoW in years but, I'd say game play wise it's also far superior. Unless you're a raid whore then you wouldn't like GW2.

That's not saying a lot, given that WoW is something like 7 years old, and hasn't gotten any better graphically since launch.

Araciel
11-11-2012, 09:01 PM
*AHEM* ...No.

theundeadhero
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I just think it's funny people are arguing about WoW and toR when she wants to play something cute. Forget your arguments.

Did Maple Story get boring? There's really no good choices for you :(

Aerith's Knight
11-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Is Maple Story the one where you travel for 4 hours without anything happening?

Madame Adequate
11-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Then play WoW 3 or 4 years ago. Everything in WoW now is a rush to the endgame, with practically no other content.

Yeah nah. WoW has never been better than it is now, not even the heady days of The Burning Crusade are like this, and you can do an astounding amount of things in WoW to keep yourself entertained if you're not at max level/don't want to do endgame. Raiding, heroics, BGs, there's gonna be a buttload of world PvP in 5.1 apparently, dailies, get JP or VP, farming, farming (the other kind), you can work on professions, archaeology, go find lore objects, solo old content for transmog gear, go RP in Silvermoon, do pet battles, go look for rare pets or mounts, go grind Sporeggar rep or something for tabards, play the auction house, dick around with friends killing lowbies in Hellfire, the idea that WoW is lacking in content is an absolutely absurd one.

Pike
11-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Seeing as 3 or 4 years ago is exactly when I quit raiding and endgame, I have to disagree. WoW has never been better and the focus on stuff to do besides endgame is absolutely immense right now, more so than anytime else I have ever played. I could do pet battles, farming, transmog, archaeology and alt leveling for the rest of my life and WoW would still be engrossing.

P.S. To the OP: Play Neopets. I'm not even kidding. Once you really get into money making you will be entertained for years.

Quindiana Jones
11-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Neopets is too hard. :(

Pike
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
It is surprisingly difficult, isn't it? :} Taught me more about economics than anything else in the world, though. For example: the best way to make money is to put a bunch of it into the stock market and then sit on your butt for a year.

Madame Adequate
11-15-2012, 07:09 PM
That's resoundingly accurate! Does it include nepotism? Or... neopetotism? :smug:

noshowmillk
11-16-2012, 03:54 PM
I like the graphics for Elsword. I'll be honest and say that the gameplay is a little too simple though as all you do is press z and x for the main attacks. I like playing as the magician out of all of them. Other than that, I haven't gotten too far into the game to really make an actual opinion of it.

Pike
11-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I am going to tell you all a story; the story of the Neopets economy.

Way back in the day you made money by doing games. The higher your score was in a game, the more money you got. So obviously this was directly correlated with skill. There was a money cap so you could only earn a certain amount of money per game per day, and people who were very good at games were encouraged to keep playing anyway in order to get trophies and prestige and that sort of thing, but it wasn't too unfair for people who weren't so good at games.

So everyone had a similar amount of money (although those with more skill at the games had somewhat more), everyone could buy what they wanted to buy, and things were happy.

Then one day, someone figured out that you could go to the NPC-run shops, buy everything out, and put it in your own shop at a markup in order to do this magical thing called :save: turning a profit :save: . Soon everybody started doing this, and before long, all of the NPC-run shops were constantly empty (because "restockers" camp those shops jamming F5) and all the things you used to be able to get for cheap were now only available at player-run shops, and of course players figured out they could price things higher and higher.

I should point out that the only skill that restocking requires is "keeping an eye on the market" so you know what is selling and for roughly how much; everything else is based on how long you're willing to sit and jam F5 and how lucky you get (what the shops stock is purely random, so that really rare item that you can sell for millions may or may not show up. In addition you're competing with several dozens of other players snatching things up from every shop at any given time.)

The result is that playing games for Neopoints is now woefully outdated and if you actually want to buy anything you have to restock. (Or, I dunno, spend 12 hours playing games to get the same monetary result as maybe one hour of intense restocking.) People have been begging the Neopets staff for them to up the amount of money you get through games, but Neopets refuses on the grounds that that would put too much money into the economy and inflation would go out of control. Never mind the fact that, because of restockers alone, a Draik Transmogrification Potion went from costing about 800,000 NP when I first started playing, to 2.5 million NP by the time I bought my first, to 12.5 million NP by the time I bought my second a couple of years later, and now is in the 20 million NP range last I checked.

In a desperate bid to help out newbies the Neopets staff finally intervened and implemented a shop that sells things for cheap and never runs out-- "welfare" if you will-- the irony being that this wouldn't be necessary if people made their money the way they were originally intended to.

Now there is one super easy way to make money and that is through the Neopets stock market, which involves spending a couple of minutes every day pouring money into the stock market and then sitting on your ass for months and waiting for prices to rise so you can sell. However, in order for this to actually have any sort of major effect at all, you need to be able to have millions of NP already as a "starter fund" that you can then dump into the stock market, and you essentially need to make that starter fund through restocking. So you still have to go through Boring/Sheer Luck Street to get to Easy Street.

You go through all of this so you can get a couple of pixels on your screen that are fancier than your neighbor's.

And that is why I quit Neopets. Would that I could quit the "real life" game just as easily! :monster:

Laddy
11-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Who knew NeoPets was an Objectivist's wet dream?

KentaRawr!
11-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Spiral Knights isn't really an MMO, but it's fun and free and is played online! :P

Edit: Oh yeah, the actual thread topic. I'll try out Wakfu when I have the time! When I do, I'll look you up! =)

Værn
11-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I used to have a Neopets account. Probably 10+ years ago. I just tried to log in and check out how much my ph4t l00t is worth now, but apparently I don't know my when my birthday is (although I still know my username and password, somehow).