PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys

snacks
11-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Hey, so I guess the job interview in Erie was great. And uh we'll see I guess but getting out might happen sooner but all I do is sleep now

Edit: keeping it on topic how do you prepare yourself mentally and physically for an interview?

Futan
11-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't. I find I'm even more awkward when trying to recite canned answers than just answering naturally.

And I'm glad everything seems to be working well for you!

Balzac
11-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't either. The last job interview I had I intimidated the guy interviewing me by telling him what he said was wrong in front of his superior and never got the job. I guess being yourself doesn't work either.

Chris
11-10-2012, 11:48 PM
I agree with the previous post. Also, I am not that smart. I just play smart, and usually fail. >< Did land me a job, which I've had for five years now.

Shorty
11-11-2012, 03:38 AM
I spend hours googling answers to "interview questions" and the company and overpreparing and picking out an outfit that looks memorable but not slutty.

I hope it works out for you, darling! Good luuuck :love:

Futan
11-11-2012, 04:47 AM
I spend hours googling answers to "interview questions" and the company and overpreparing and picking out an outfit that looks memorable but not slutty.

I hope it works out for you, darling! Good luuuck :love:

That brings up a good point. Clothing during interviews can be important to send subconscious cues or whatever. Lol. I'd imagine a red tie would be good for something like a management role, while a blue one may be good for other positions. Either way, neutral colors should probably be avoided.

Not an expert on that type of thing but it could be worth reading up on. XD

Loony BoB
11-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I've passed more job interviews than I've had jobs... it's mostly a mixture of confidence, being assertive and knowing what is and is not okay to say in such situations.

Psychotic
11-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Physically: Suit. Smell good. I don't know what your hair and facial hair status is but trimmed/shaven as appropriate. Shoulders back, head up. Smile and make eye contact.

Mentally: Prepare some answers to questions. Eg times when you worked as part of a team, times when you took your own initiative. Look into the company and say "Yes I saw this on your website..." and finally prepare questions to ask them. Specific ones you'll have to think of by yourself, but general ones such as what a typical day in the role is and what their expectations of you in the first three months of employment are always good.

Loony BoB
11-11-2012, 06:19 PM
For what it's worth, my approach was always this: "I can do anything you ask me to. If it's a system that's new to me, I'll ask the right questions and I learn fast."

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I have never been interviewed for a job. Not even once.

It seems like it would be fun though.

Shoeberto
11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
My two last jobs were phone interviews as a college student so I got lucky. I don't think they were even allowed to ask me technical questions though I definitely prepared a lot. There's plenty of lists of generic catch-all interview questions that HR types pull from on the internet that are useful for practice.

Important for phone interviews: Dress the part. Even if they won't see you, it puts you in the right frame of mind.