PDA

View Full Version : What is the most annoying boss fight you can think of?

Pike
11-11-2012, 02:33 AM
That pinball one in Sonic CD comes to mind for me right away :colbert: I'm sure I'll think of others soon enough.

Bunny
11-11-2012, 02:41 AM
Magic Master from Final Fantasy VI and Guardian from Chrono Trigger are the two that specifically come to mind.

For console RPGs, any boss that has an immunity element, a unit resurrection component, or an ultimate attack that one shots your entire party are pretty stupid.

For WoW: Illidari Council from Black Temple. Lady Vashj was also an annoyingly horrible fight.

Jowy
11-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Capra Demon.

Balzac
11-11-2012, 03:05 AM
Solomon Grundy in Arkham City.

Laddy
11-11-2012, 03:05 AM
The Hanged Man in Persona 3 was annoying, but a good and tactical annoying.

Flaming Ice
11-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Holoholo jungle bird (baten kaitos origins)

Took about an hour to beat =/

Hollycat
11-11-2012, 04:33 AM
Minerva (Crisis Core) Ignoring the fact that she has the highest health of any boss in any ff game ever, and that she takes an hour or two to beat using only costly punch; Minerva has a really cheap move she uses more and more often through the fight that not only is one of the most powerful attacks in the history of ff, but is unblockable, unavoidable, kills with 100% success rate if you don't deflect the blow, but also it renders all your phoenix down useless.

blackmage_nuke
11-11-2012, 05:31 AM
Anything with an instant death move

Bolivar
11-11-2012, 05:41 AM
I like the game, but almost all the battles towards the end of FFXIII fall into this category by virtue of the battle system itself. The whole idea of staggering made these latter boss battles turn into extended wars of attrition, until you finally stagger them and knock their health down a tad, only to do it all again.

black orb
11-11-2012, 07:03 AM
>>> If they count as a boss fight, Hamsters in Valkyrie Profile..:luca:

Shauna
11-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Shahdee (Battle on the ship at the start) in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Actually the biggest load of dicks for a game starter. I know of at least one person who died at that boss then put the game away forever.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Jinpachi in Tekken 5. "Round 1 FIGHT! You lose!" in 5 seconds, 5 million times in a row. Only controller I ever broke, if I recall correctly.

Shahdee (Battle on the ship at the start) in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Actually the biggest load of dicks for a game starter. I know of at least one person who died at that boss then put the game away forever.

I also kept dying at that point and haven't played the game since.

Formalhaut
11-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I like the game, but almost all the battles towards the end of FFXIII fall into this category by virtue of the battle system itself. The whole idea of staggering made these latter boss battles turn into extended wars of attrition, until you finally stagger them and knock their health down a tad, only to do it all again.

Along that same vein, Orphan's progenitorial wrath move. Seriously, I hate instant death moves, especially if they hit your party leader and connects :mad:

Madame Adequate
11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Vesper and Decus from Star Ocean 2. I'm a pretty god damn good player of that game, I've spent more time than is healthy with it, and I can handle damned near anything else including the final boss just fine. But those guys? Unless I plan perfectly they will wreck all of the trout.

"BURNNNN TO DEATH!"

e; Also Tarnesh. Once you know how the game works he's no big unless you get bad rolls (but that's the way of things). First time you roll on into the Friend Arm Inn, with all of Imoen, Montaron, and Xzar at your side? He's gonna pop Mirror Image, fear your guys, and break you upon his body.

Laddy
11-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Also Tarnesh. Once you know how the game works he's no big unless you get bad rolls (but that's the way of things). First time you roll on into the Friend Arm Inn, with all of Imoen, Montaron, and Xzar at your side? He's gonna pop Mirror Image, fear your guys, and break you upon his body.
Most Baldur's Gate bosses are really hard, but never feel unfair. Except for him. His HP is ridiculously low, but Mirror Image makes him that much harder to hit, plus he causes Moral Failure and throws spells completely beyond your level at you. It's bullshit.

Now I know to just cast Magic Missile before he gets his first spell off which helps, but even then you have very little tools to use against him.

Loony BoB
11-11-2012, 06:42 PM
To Kill A Raven, Final Fantasy XIV. I'm sure if I had tried it that the hard version of this same fight would be my choice. :p It wasn't actually terribly annoying but it certainly was annoying how you would spend 20-25 minutes before the real test of whether or not you will win the fight. MMO boss fights can be a real bitch sometimes. But the fight was interesting to master, I suppose.

I can only imagine the most annoying boss fight ever would be a tedious, monotonous, repetitive task relying on quick-time events that are questionable at best over their timing and the fight lasts over 30 minutes. If such a boss fight as this exists, I would call it the most annoying boss fight ever. It's pretty much everything I wouldn't like. Oh, wait. Make it force you to partner up with a different person every time, a la Journey. You can't talk with them, you don't know who they are, but you're relying on them as well as yourself now! And the boss would be standard for most of the fight but right at the end would do a move that often will one-shot you, and it won't give any warnings as to when this happens. No HP bar. They could market this game as The Most Annoying Boss Fight Ever, now that I think about it. One achievement: Win.

Aerith's Knight
11-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Demon wall from FFVII the first time you plan him and are underleveled.

ANY boss fight in FFIX when you have the COMPULSION to steal the best item.

Elpizo
11-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Yiazmat. So. Damn. Boring. Truly the hardest battle in any game, ever. Will you slay the damn mothersmurfer, or will boredom slay you first? It's a fight to the death between you and the game.

Dullahan (from Golden Sun). Annoying because the only way to beat him is to spam summons, unless you grind like crazy and abuse the RNG method to forge the best gear for your entire party.

Super bosses in general are annoying. They either mostly rely on cheap tricks, very specific setups or grind fests.

Tigmafuzz
11-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Minerva (Crisis Core)

Yiazmat.

These. At least in XII you can set up a proper gambit system and let your party fend for themselves, switching characters out every now and again when needed. But fuck Minerva. Seriously.

Aulayna
11-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Anything from Dynamite Headdy. That game was hard but addictively so.

Hollycat
11-12-2012, 12:03 AM
There's a trick to defeating yaizmat that works for even a level 5 party. (one mage, one archer, one healer)
stairs

Elpizo
11-12-2012, 12:15 AM
There's a trick to defeating yaizmat that works for even a level 5 party. (one mage, one archer, one healer)
stairs

Sadly, that trick still doesn't beat Yiazmat's greatest ally: boredom.

Hollycat
11-12-2012, 12:25 AM
stairs

Sadly, that trick still doesn't beat Yiazmat's greatest ally: boredom.

Makes him stronger in fact.

Polnareff
11-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Anyone who doesn't mention that rainbow boss from Dark Cloud 2 is wrong. :colbert: That was some boring, annoying, tedious-ass shit.

Wolf Kanno
11-13-2012, 10:17 PM

Definetly this, though we should add Xenosaga Episode 2 since it uses the same battle system and all the end game boss fights are tedious 20 minute attrition fests.

Yiazmat. So. Damn. Boring. Truly the hardest battle in any game, ever. Will you slay the damn mothersmurfer, or will boredom slay you first? It's a fight to the death between you and the game.

Oh god yes, I love FFXII but I hate Yiazmat and it took me a few years after the game came out to finally finish that battle. It's a shame cause so many of the other Mark Hunt battles are really good but this one was just awful...

Super bosses in general are annoying. They either mostly rely on cheap tricks, very specific setups or grind fests.

I agree, they are mostly a novelty element anymore in these games, a way to artificially extend game time by making you grind for better stats and loot. Many of themselves are just giant attrition battles as well.

Largely, I hate attrition battles, they are not bad when used sparsely but a lot of games tend to go overboard with them or worse, build battle systems that are based on these types of battles.

Quindiana Jones
11-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Capra Demon.

I also hated the Capra Demon. If you grind for a Balder Shield beforehand, though, you can block all of his attacks perfectly well. Found that out AFTER having suffered through him, of course. :mad2:

Oh, and Hilgigas from FFIX. Not a hard boss by any means, but if you are gonna steal the Fairy Flute (or Angel Flute?), then you're gonna be there for a while. My entire party went into Trance well over a dozen times before I managed to steal that bloody thing!

Bahamut2000X
11-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Most annoying? Pretty much everything in FFIV DS version after Leviathan.

Bolivar
11-14-2012, 11:59 PM
A lot of Dragon Age Origin fights... At first I was all "yay i'm so glad i waited to play this game on PC" but then I read how the difficulty is higher. :(

Del Murder
11-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Wrexsoul. The first time I played him I didn't understand how it worked so it took me hours.

*Laurelindo*
11-18-2012, 02:17 AM
The fight against Red Soul in Final Fantasy 2.
It's such a stupid fight, you can only hurt him with physical attacks and the characters' accuracy sucks against him, so you basically deal Ineffective hits like 80% of the time.
And no, I'm not spending a whole day leveling up my weapon skills just to have a reasonable accuracy against that one boss.

Iceglow
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Surprising but Halo 2, the brute warlord. He was a right son of a bitch just because gravity hammer.

Tigmafuzz
11-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Anyone who doesn't mention that rainbow boss from Dark Cloud 2 is wrong. :colbert: That was some boring, annoying, tedious-ass trout.

Rainbow boss? I don't remember much of Dark Cloud 2. Are you talking about the butterfly thing?

Cloudane
11-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Yunalesca.

I've never yelled "YOU CHEATING SMURFING BITCH!!!" quite so much as in that fight... the controller got flung a few times too :p And I'm normally a calm person!

Doesn't help that when you die you have to sit through her 10 minute speech again.

Formalhaut
11-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Yunalesca.

I've never yelled "YOU CHEATING SMURFING BITCH!!!" quite so much as in that fight... the controller got flung a few times too :p And I'm normally a calm person!

Doesn't help that when you die you have to sit through her 10 minute speech again.

Thankfully, just before the fight I was reading something on Gamefaqs and I knew about her "Mega Death" move. Thank god I did! Still, she was difficult because you simply couldn't heal.

Raistlin
11-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Yiazmat is the first one that came to mind. The only boss battle I've quit, not out of frustration at the difficulty, but out of sheer boredom.

Heath
11-25-2012, 09:38 PM
I found the Spectral Keeper boss in FFX to be really annoying. As was Yunalesca almost immediately afterwards. The former because the instant death and beserk moves, the latter because of the requirement to be in zombie status during her third form.

The other stupidly annoying boss is Robotnik at the end of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. You have no rings and it's really easy to hit the boss's arms or another part of him, killing yourself rather than landing a hit on him. It got to the point a while ago during a playthrough a couple of years ago when I started using save states in between hits on the boss because I was fed up of landing three or four hits before being slightly off in my aim.

Bubba
11-27-2012, 06:38 PM
The boss fight at the end of Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts.

Not the actual fight itself. Just the fact that when you finish the final level and are about to enter his room... you get sent right back to start of the entire fucking game.

If that had happened in Mario then the Princess would popping out 'Bowser-Babies' for all eternity...

DK
11-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Gears of War 3 last boss, because it is just dumb. Just, I don't even want to think about it or revisit it ever. Probably the biggest abortion and letdown of a final boss I've ever seen in a game.

Other than that I'm struggling to think of a boss that gave me serious misery off the top of my head. I never got why Yunalesca was supposed to be so bad, I shredded her both times I played FFX. Besides everyone knows the worst boss in X is that smurfing under 0 seconds chocobo race horse trout good god I abhor murder but if I got locked into a room with the person who thought that was a good idea by the time the door was open i'd be wearing his/her skin as a hat accessorised with broken bits of tibula, with blood for blusher. :mad2:

noshowmillk
11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Eggman in Sonic Unleashed. Were they even trying to make him challenging!?! I will admit I would rather go through him than Eggman Land again but still!

Red Mage Coffman
11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Listen. Two compete for this spot. Bahamaut from FF3 and Ultimecia from FF8.

3 cause first time you fight him, he is unbeatable. It didn't occur to me to run or anything, I mean, I didn't know at the time. So I fought him. For THIRTY FREAKING MINUTES. Yeah, when I picked Run cause of aggravation and it worked, I didn't pick the game up for another 4 weeks.

8 cause she randomly brings people into the fight. Since every character is a blank slate in 8, I only ever have 3 equipped. Squall, Selphie, and Zell. Well... First time fighting her, guess who she bought in? Yeah, you guessed it. What a :bou::bou::bou::bou:.