PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros. 64 and Melee and Smash 4 Discussion

MTKO
11-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Does anyone out there play Super Smash Bros. 64 or Melee?

I've been playing since late 2004 and have gone to a few tournaments and follow the scene. There aren't a lot of people that play in the area I currently live, but I used to live in one of the largest centers for the competitive Melee scene, so I've had the chance to play a handful of great players.

Some things that could be discussed for casual players would be: favorite characters, favorite stages, glitches, funny things that have occurred in matches, predictions and input on the upcoming Smash 4.

If there are any competitive players out there, what are your thoughts on the current tier list in melee and 64, do you attend any tournaments, What do you think of the currently accepted rule set? The list could go on.

There's also a way to play Smash 64 online through a client that's free to access, so if anyone wants to play, I'm free to play usually.

Ultima Shadow
11-12-2012, 01:36 AM
I only play melee. My main is Ganon and I usually get to the semi-finals in tournaments. My only real problem is Sheik, though I can handle that matchup pretty well now too. Still a bit of a pain though. Falco is also pretty bad, but I've beaten Falcos that are much higher ranked than I am myself on a few occations. I'm surprisingly good at killing Foxes actually, unless they are way above my level.

My secondaries are probably Marth and Falco I guess, though I usually just stick to Ganon no matter what in tournaments. I can also play most of the low to mid-tiers pretty well, and can do quite well with my DK or even my Pichu in low-tier tournaments.

MTKO
11-12-2012, 02:36 AM
Yeah, sheik is a pain enough as it is and then you add in her extremely lengthy and easy chain grab and auto combos on ganon and it turns out to be a tough matchup. My friend who I've been smashing with since middle school mains ganon and he has beat my sheik on several occasions. I main Marth and Sheik, and secondary Falco, Fox, Mario, G&W. I play all the characters, but those 5 much much more frequently. I pretty much just play Falco and Fox to spam tech skill and mess around since I'm not very good with them.

What's your favorite matchup to play with ganon and favorite stage to play ganon on? I'd guess you'd be pretty good with him on battlefield or yoshi's, if I had to guess?

Ultima Shadow
11-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Yes, Yoshi's is my best stage. Battlefield works too I guess, but I just dislike that stage in general because of its weird edges, even though it effects my opponent equally. So I prefer Yoshi's much more.

Marth is one of my favourite matchups. The friend I've played the game the most with mains Marth, and it's one of my easier matchups in tournaments. I actually like playing against Foxes and even Falcos too, even though they can be quite annoying sometimes. I think that's mainly because it "feels better" to smack those two around, I guess. :p

...also, Samus. And Peach, as long as it's not Armada's Peach. I've played his Peach once, and it wasn't pretty. I think it's the only time I've been 4-stocked by a Peach Player. At least that I can remember. But hey... he just kinda happens to be like... the world champion and stuff, so I guess it's fine to get 4-stocked by him. At least I almost got him in KO-range. Well, except that his DI is so sick he probably would have survived anything anyway somehow. :p

Hollycat
11-12-2012, 03:48 AM
I use peach and Jigglypuff exclusively. I almost never miss with pound. With peach, I do pretty awesomely thank you very much.

Bolivar
11-12-2012, 03:54 AM
I've never played competitively in tournaments but I've lived with people who take the game pretty seriously and know the dynamics of the tourney scene and I can usually get them throwing their controllers and screaming once I get a rhythm going... :D

Always prefered 64 to Melee, I just think the system was a lot tighter and more predictable and that made it a lot of more fair and hospitable for competition.

For Smash 4... man. HD Smash? I seem to recall Nintendo assuring that a 3DS smash is inevitable as well. I think Brawl went overboard where every level has to be dynamic... bring it a little back to basics, although for game developers they always look at that like it would be a disaster to do...

MTKO
11-12-2012, 04:32 AM
@Ultima Shadow I've never had the chance to play Armada, but from what I hear he's quite fun to play against and be around. I played a couple rounds against Fly Aminita a while back and I remember him ripping me apart with chain grabs and combos. I'd say Ice Climbers are my worst matchup with any character, so that that made it much worse when playing him :D

@Cactuar Jigglypuff is a really good character if you can get used to her. It's always fun to play Jiggs against inexperienced players who think she sucks and then you steamroll them lol

NorthernChaosGod
11-12-2012, 06:50 AM
I play mostly Melee, but I've been known to screw around in the other two. My main is Marth and my second is Sheik. I've only gone to one tournament where I was knocked out pretty early.

Ultima Shadow
11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
I've never had the chance to play Armada, but from what I hear he's quite fun to play against and be around.
Yup! He's one heck of a nice guy actually. No arrogance whatsoever and he never gets cocky. :p

I play mostly Melee, but I've been known to screw around in the other two. My main is Marth and my second is Sheik. I've only gone to one tournament where I was knocked out pretty early.
I think most people get knocked out early during their first few tournaments. But if you keep going, you eventually start placing higher. Well, unless it's tournaments with all top players or you just get really bad matchups or something that is. :p

You learn a lot from playing lots of different people playing different characters etc, so going to tournaments is probably one of the best ways to get better, even if you end up getting your ass kicked most of the time.

NorthernChaosGod
11-13-2012, 09:02 PM
I think I'm in a bad area to play in then. Mango has actually gone to the tournament I've been to. I believe my friend said Mew2King has gone before too. :|

Ultima Shadow
11-13-2012, 11:05 PM
I think I'm in a bad area to play in then. Mango has actually gone to the tournament I've been to. I believe my friend said Mew2King has gone before too. :|
Well... as long as the other players at the tournament is nowhere near their level, you can always play some more fair matches I guess? xD

Did you get to play against Mango or M2K by the way? :p

Formalhaut
11-13-2012, 11:57 PM
I've never played 64 or Melee, it's just before my time and Melee requires a Gamecube anyway, and I don't like playing that sort of games emulator style on a laptop or whatever. I love Smash Bros. Brawl though, that's just amazing.

What platform is Smash 4 going on?

Hollycat
11-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Either my dog is a lot smarter than I think she is, or Mango is somebody I've never heard of.

Ultima Shadow
11-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Either my dog is a lot smarter than I think she is, or Mango is somebody I've never heard of.Mango is basically USA's top player. :p

Evastio
11-14-2012, 12:34 AM
I use quite a large variety of characters (starting from best and going downward from mains): Marth, Ice Climbers, Mario, Luigi, R.O.B., Ness, Captain Falcon, Falco, Yoshi, Bowser, and Donkey Kong. For characters that aren't on the list, I'm familiar with their moves (and which ones are ideal finishers and recoveries) and gameplay flow (eg: sticking to the air, taking advantage of grabs or projectiles), but not enough to do as well with them as the others I listed.

I'm the only Ice Climber mainer I know amongst my friends and family, which gets kind of lonely. On the bright side, it's fun suprising people with Ice Climber techniques such as the Forward Smash throw or the Edge Meteor Smash throw, given how underused and underestimated the Ice Climbers are.

As for the order I like the Smash Bros. games (starting with most favourite): it's Brawl, 64, then Melee.

Mango is a competitive Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon player. Supposedly, he's the reason that Jigglypuff is 3rd place in Melee's tier list. I think he only started a year or so after Brawl came out, which is probably why you haven't heard of him.

As for Smash Bros. 4, if I were to bet heavy money on what new characters would be in, I'd bet on Chrom, Zoroark, and Takamaru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takamaru). Chrom and Zoroark are the most prominent new characters of Fire Emblem and Pokemon, just as Ike and Lucario were in Brawl (who are likely to be removed for SSB4) and Roy and Pichu were in Melee. As for Takamaru, Sakurai said he'd be bringing back old Nintendo characters, and he seems like the most likely retro character to be included, especially given how much he's shown up in the Wii (and Wii U) generation like his role in Captain Rainbow, his playable cameo in Samurai Warriors 3, and him having a game to himself in Nintendo Land. That's all I'd bet on now since Sakurai said he wouldn't be focusing so much on new characters this time around.

Formalhaut
11-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I Like Ike! I like his personality in game. I literally just choose characters based on how I like them.

Aulayna
11-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I only ever played Melee but Zelda and Roy (?) were my favourites. Although Yoshi was awesome for the Send the punching bag as far as you could!

Polnareff
11-14-2012, 10:08 PM
I just played Melee earlier and whooped all my friends' asses with Jigglypuff. :jess:

My favorite Smash game is actually Brawl, mainly for the roster and the amount of unlockable stuff. I don't really play Smash competitively so because of that I'm barely interested in Melee. I love 64 though.

In 64 I use Captain Falcon mainly. In Melee, Falco. Secondary is Roy. Sometimes I use Falcon or Ness. In percentages I'd say I use Falco about 40% of the time, Roy 30%, Falcon 15% and Ness 15%. Then in Brawl I mostly use Lucas and R.O.B.

Heath
11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Characters I tend to play with include Samus, Kirby (who I think is one of the most fun), Marth, (Roy in Melee), Zelda and Captain Falcon, with the occasional foray with Ganondorf.

I don't own a Wii, and so I only played the odd game of Brawl, but Melee was a game my friends and I played to death. Absolutely love it. We used to have most of Tuesday off school/college and used to spend the day before our 2 or 3pm classes playing Halo 2/3 and SSB:M. I miss those days!

NorthernChaosGod
11-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Well... as long as the other players at the tournament is nowhere near their level, you can always play some more fair matches I guess? xD

Did you get to play against Mango or M2K by the way? :p
Haha, most of the other players are still better than I am.

I haven't played either, and I'm not sure if I'd want to. They'd both dominate me. Especially Mango.

Either my dog is a lot smarter than I think she is, or Mango is somebody I've never heard of.

He's pretty much the most brutal Jigglypuff player in the game.

Ultima Shadow
11-16-2012, 04:26 AM
He's pretty much the most brutal Jigglypuff player in the game.He has been playing Fox more than Puff recently though. At least in the matches I've seen. Also, he got some competition from hungrybox for best Puff now, though I believe Mango might still be a little better with Puff. :p

I know that hungrybox + Kage did manage to beat Mango + DrPeePee in teams not too long ago though. But teams is different from singles, and one set doesn't really determine who's better. But still. :p

Here's the video, for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmocEuTErr8

Speaking of Jigglypuff... that's the only character Armada hates to face with Peach. And so, he got a counter-pick character against Puff only. That character is Young Link. xD

noshowmillk
11-16-2012, 03:37 PM
I love the irony of sending Pikachu sky-high.

Del Murder
11-18-2012, 02:21 AM
I only play with my brothers and I like playing Yoshi and Kirby. Basically I just sit on the stage spamming egg toss at them and they can't get near me. :D So yeah, no where near tournament level.

Formalhaut
11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
I only play with my brothers and I like playing Yoshi and Kirby. Basically I just sit on the stage spamming egg toss at them and they can't get near me. :D So yeah, no where near tournament level.

When I'm being devious (and there's people to play with) I like playing as Kirby, engulfing them and while their still inside Kirby walk off the stage and commit suicide. Kills both me and them! Actually, I can win this way if I have the lead.

Del Murder
11-19-2012, 01:47 AM
My brother does that to me with DK too.

I also like using Kirby's Up+B move to slam people down into the pit.

MTKO
11-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Kirbycide. You can do it with his back throw as well, if you're close enough to the edge. You can survive with kirby after inhaling them, if you release at the right time. Believe it or not that trick actually works pretty well even on mid-level players if you only use it once.

Ultima Shadow
11-19-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't usually play Kirby, but when I do, I try to pull that off at least once every match. I usually get punished for it against people on my own level or close to it, but I have managed to pull it off as an effective edge-guard a few times (jump out and swallow them off-stage, then spit them out to somewhere they can't recover from).

On-stage, the opponent's % is quite important though. It's possible to get out of being swallowed (or grabbed in DK's case) by basically button-mashing a lot. So if the opponent knows about the trick, they can get free before you even manage to jump off the stage at lower %. The more % you have, the more time it takes to get free though. Still, if you are fast enough you can break free pretty quickly even at medium %-ranges. But it's true that lots of people just don't see it coming the first time.

Also... anyone here who has tried out Project M? It's basically a fan-made patch for Brawl that makes it more melee-like and balances lots of the characters. Sadly for me, there is no version of it yet that works on the european version of Brawl. =O

MTKO
11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
It's an epic moment when you get a kirbycide one someone though :D The look on their face is the best.

I've heard great things about Project M. I don't have a Wii anymore though, so probably won't get a chance to play it for some time.

Depression Moon
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Never owned Melee so my experience with that game is minimal. I've only tried it out at tournies, but I did own the original. I think I mained Link and Kirby in that one.

For what I want to see in the next game is the removal or random tripping, Lil' Mac and Paper Mario as a playable characters. All the modes and extras from Brawl.

Tigmafuzz
11-22-2012, 03:26 AM
I love 64, and I LOVE Melee. I mostly play 64 since I can't get Dolphin to work on my laptop and I don't have any spare USB ports to play Melee on my desktop without using the keyboard (and I hate using the Wii and the Gamecube is in storage :freak:)

I went to a Melee tournament once and played one of the guys who was actually competing in-between matches. I beat him pretty easily. He ended up making second place in the tournament... Makes me wonder if i should have entered myself :greenie:

MTKO
11-23-2012, 12:57 AM
@A RealDoll Enthusiast
Do you play 64 online at all?

Tigmafuzz
11-23-2012, 04:09 AM
I didn't even know there was such a thing! I'll look into it :bigsmile: