PDA

View Full Version : Dog Breeds

Laddy
11-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Let's talk about dogs, specifically breeds.

I'm looking into having a house with some friends within the next year and I would love a dog and I think we've agreed on a corgi since we all love them. This comes to no surprise.

Now, I also would like another so they can keep each other entertained; they'll both be the same gender to prevent the puppy problem. In regards to this, what goes well with a corgi's disposition?

Corgis are intelligent, active, loyal, friendly, happy, and eager to please. I would like a breed that would go well with them.

I was thinking a Border Collie, as they have similar personalities and they've been suggested as good companion dogs. I am well-educated and experienced in dogs so I can train them pretty well. Do you guys have other suggestions?

Oh, and we can talk about dogs in general too. First to post OMFGDOGS gets a surprise.

Denmark
11-12-2012, 05:54 AM
I've never owned a dog myself, but I've spent 2 years living with a black lab/greyhound mix, 1 year living with a Siberian husky, and the past 3 days living with a pitbull. I've fallen in love with all of them despite being a self-proclaimed "cat person". To that point, I can't actually form an opinion on what would be a good breed to live with a corgi

also where is my surprise (http://omfgdogs.com/)

Shorty
11-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Corgis are herding dogs, so I would get something that has that mentality to match them. However, herding breeds need a looot of stimulation. Additionally, I can't think off the top of my head another small-ish herding breed like a corgi. I'm sure they are out there, but I have no idea what they are off the top of my head. A border collie would probably go pretty well with one, though!

piiiiiiit bulllllls

I mentioned recently that I don't think I could own any other kind of dog aside from pit bulls, but I love all of the bully breeds. American bulldog, bulldogs in general, boxers, staffies, etc. I've wanted a great dane my entire life. My favorite favorite breed, though, are dogo argentinos, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogo_Argentino) which are essentially giant white pit bulls.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/demosthynes/WP_000092.jpg

Raebus
11-12-2012, 12:28 PM
He's probably thinking "Why has my human forced me to wear such a fashion disaster of a scarf". :P

Shorty
11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Or he probably wanted the donut in my hand that I used to lure him into sitting still.

Balzac
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I've had lots of breeds of dogs over the years I currently have a staffordshire bull terrier called Toto. Wouldn;t trade her for the world :D

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z180/Balzak309/toto.jpg

Raistlin
11-12-2012, 02:02 PM
My family's had a few dogs, and the best dog I've ever had was a pit bull/lab mix. Pit bulls are very people friendly dogs and are fine on their own, so if I ever got a dog of my own, it'd probably have to be a pit or pit mix from a shelter (or one of the zillions of related breeds commonly referred to as "pit bulls").

I have no idea what would go well with a corgi. Perhaps another corgi, but then you might have a heart attack.

Faris
11-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Collies are beautiful. LASSIE!!

But my heart goes to German shepherds. I grew up with them and I love love love them. They are excellent guard dogs and full of life. The major downside to them is that they hide being sick until it's too late or at least the two I've had to put down were like that. Even though it's been over a year after Cristy was put down, I still get extremely emotional about it.

I am happy to own any dog that is at knee level or taller. Nothing wrong with small or toy dogs, they just aren't for me. I'm afraid I'll step on them and the brief window of time I've had with some was not enjoyable.

Raistlin
11-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Nothing wrong with small or toy dogs, they just aren't for me. I'm afraid I'll step on them and the brief window of time I've had with some was not enjoyable.

Dogs that weigh no more than a fat cat are not real dogs; they are rodents.

starlet
11-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Why not just adopt a mutt? I'd say just stay away from terriers. Herding dog that wants a job plus a stubborn dog that wants to do what it wants to do is just asking for trouble...

Night Fury
11-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I've been breeding and training Rottweilers for the last 10 years so I have a lot of experience with BIG DOGS, but not with Corgis I'm afraid, I never even came across one back when I did handling trials.

Collies are lovely, but what about a Sheltie? They're a bit smaller than a Border collie, and I used to train and handle one and he was the nicest dog ever, and one of the best dogs I got to work with.

With collies and corgis you do need to take into account the grooming side of things.

Laddy
11-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah, trust me I have experience in grooming. :D

Too much. :stare:

So I'm leaning towards a Border Collie, as they have similar personalities as well as being well-tempered, easily-trained, and all-together beautiful dogs.

So, what should I name them!? I was thinking Ein for the Corgi, but what about the Border Collie? :excited:

Shorty
11-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Frank.

-enstein

Kirobaito
11-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Adopt a mutt. Seriously. Screw breeds.

Old Manus
11-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a racing Whippet. Usain Bolt doesn't have a clue.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215880_1664564133791_755911_n.jpg

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/193646_1616048480930_6035034_o.jpg

Shorty
11-12-2012, 09:52 PM
baaaaaw I love whippets!

Jowy
11-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Bulldog on trampoline - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyxU29V4jVE)

so adorable! i love english bulldogs. :aimsmile:

Heath
11-12-2012, 10:12 PM
We have a miniature dachshund at the moment. It's quite a sweet (but pretty snooty) dog. I feel ridiculous when I'm walking it, and my 6'2 ex-copper dad looks a sight when walking him.

I've always liked West Highland Terriers - we had one when I was growing up and it was a very sweet, though rather silly dog.

We also had a tricolour border collie for a while which, while beautiful, was quite a bit of work. They need plenty of exercise, but are very nice dogs.

Chris
11-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I've had quite a few dogs, but it's been years since I last had one. I had a weird -- correction, I have a strange relationship with dogs. I have always loved dogs, but when I was about five I was viciously attacked, and it left a mark on me, physically, and mentally. To be honest, I'm actually a little afraid of dogs now. :(

Aulayna
11-12-2012, 10:29 PM
I've had two dogs - one was a Golden Retriever which my parents got when I was 5 so we pretty much grew up together. He died a several years back, I miss that dog so much sometimes - he was just a nice dog that enjoyed cuddling etc

We also had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who was just grade A hyperactive insanity. Loved her to bits though but she was nuts.

Fun story actually she did this thing where she's jump up and down when she wanted to be stroked - one of my friends bent down to stroke her just as she jumped up and she headbutted him right in the eye - he had a stunning black eye for a few days afterward haha!

As for the innevitable future dog that's waiting for future me in the house of my dreams - I'd really love a Husky.

Lonely Paper Star
11-12-2012, 10:47 PM
I love dogs! I think they're all cute, even the ones with "ugly" squishy faces and the ones with short little legs so they can only waddle around. I love mutts, too (my aunt owns two). I do have my favorites, though. Someday, I'll get a toy poodle or a shiba inu. Dachshunds, beagles, and pomeranians are on top of my list, too. As well as huskies, corgis, and--yeah, I think I'd be here all day with dog talk. :T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilzj781qbzQ

fire_of_avalon
11-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Corgi's adapt really well to indoor living and minimal exercise, but border collies don't. They need room to run and they need you to play with them. I'd say as long as you can meet those requirements the dogs would probably get along, but if you don't work a border collie she will work you.

But I'm on team mutt. Check your shelters and stuff for herding dog mixes and give an animal who needs it a good home. :D?

PS: The best dogs are mastiffs.

Hollycat
11-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Get a black schipperke/ german spitz mix. is best dog.

Laddy
11-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Corgi's adapt really well to indoor living and minimal exercise, but border collies don't. They need room to run and they need you to play with them. I'd say as long as you can meet those requirements the dogs would probably get along, but if you don't work a border collie she will work you.

But I'm on team mutt. Check your shelters and stuff for herding dog mixes and give an animal who needs it a good home. :D?

Oh, I'm definitely looking at a place with a yard so the dogs can run around. I have years of experience with several herding dogs, so I'm adjusted to their demands.

You guys have convinced me to check out a shelter for a possible mutt. I do best with herding breeds, so I'll definitely check out the local shelters for a herding dog mix. :)

Shlup
11-13-2012, 04:30 AM
The only things I care about is whether or not is sheds or slobbers all over me.

Also that they're not huge. My friend has two dogs that are bigger than me and they seem to find me attractive. :(

DMKA
11-13-2012, 05:18 AM
I have a mini dachshund. His name is Oscar and he's the best dog ever. :<3:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/rqfrx.jpg

Pumpkin
11-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I had a chocolate Labrador Retriever who dies in August :(.

Other than that, I have mostly had Rottweilers most of my life. I lived with two and my grandmother who I stayed with for a while had 5 at one time and 9 overall.

Shoeberto
11-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Adopt a mutt. Seriously. Screw breeds.

Same! My girlfriend and I adopted a few weeks ago. She's half german shepherd, half lab, around 4 years old and had puppies, and she is the most wonderful dog ever. Friendly, gentle around the cats, very patient and well-behaved.

Many shelters put their animals up online for you to get an idea of ahead of time, and the one we went to let us have a really long "interview" time with the different dogs we were interested in. It let us get a really good feel for the different dog's personalities for what we were looking for.

yukina
11-13-2012, 04:06 PM
All my 6 dogs are mixed breeds, with Japanese Spitz dominating the gene pool. I'd love to have the chance to have a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute but they'd probably die in the heat of my country. :/

sharkythesharkdogg
11-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Here is Riley, and he is my buddy. I raised him from a puppy, and he's great.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/sharkythesharkdogg/IMG_6807-1.jpg

I agree with Megan, though. Border Collies like a lot of stimulation and a lot of space to play. Since I moved to a small place, I gave Riley to my parents. So now he can play, and still get's to see me.

Night Fury
11-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Here is my puppy :heart: :heart:

Flaming Ice
11-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Had a short hair collie, now a long hair collie...nice dogs to have. (well I like short hair better for the obvious reasons :)) Usually they'll watch you leave out the door when you go and when you come home they come over to you.

But the one I have now used to be a show dog but he got abused so he gets scared easily....Apparently he used to be with his brother all the time but they got separated :(

Kossage
11-17-2012, 11:42 PM
I had a golden retriever, and he was such a charming and intelligent fellow. Goldens learn things pretty quickly and are some of the wisest dog breeds out there. And they're cute and patient too by nature. :)

As a reference, here's a pic of my past golden retriever Sulo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Kossage/Photos/sulo-lammas.jpg

escobert
11-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Pharaoh Hound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharao_hound)
this is the dog I want.