PDA

View Full Version : All work and no play makes Homer something something

Raistlin
11-12-2012, 02:23 PM
So I wake up this morning for work, and as I'm about ready to walk out the door, I'm asked "do you have work today?" I pull out my phone, and see that today is the holiday for yesterday's Veteran's Day. Instead of waking up at 7:30, I could have slept in. At least I didn't actually bother driving to work.

I knew yesterday was Veteran's Day, but I wasn't thinking about today being the state holiday for it. And I never had these one-day holidays off from school, so I'm still not used to it. I would have come to work for Columbus Day had it not come up in casual conversation the afternoon before.

Have you ever gone to or at least woken up early for work/school/an appointment/whatever when you didn't need to?

Yar
11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Sadly, days like that are the only days I'm actually on time.... I get so proud of myself for getting up early and then I get there and there's no reason for me to be there. :(

Sephex
11-12-2012, 02:56 PM
I'll occasionally wake up on a Saturday or something, and for that split second right when I wake up I'll have a panic attack that I overslept....but I don't have work that day. Then I am wide awake from the adrenaline rush.

Balzac
11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Its days like that when being your own boss pays off :D

sharkythesharkdogg
11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
My worst screw up was when I had the 12 hour rotating shifts in the military. I woke up, and bitched to myself about how it seemed I barely got any rest. I showered, shaved, and drove to work. I oozed up stairs, and everyone at work stared at me. I had arrived about 2-3 hours early. So I was laughed at, and walked into one of the back offices where I slept the rest of the time until my shift actually began.

Shorty
11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Once when I was in school I woke up and had it in my brain that I had overslept. I took a super fast shower and was running around my room when I got a good look at my clock that said it was one-something in the morning. I don't know if in my sleepy state I mistook the one for a seven or what, but I was not pleased and went back to bed with wet hair.

So that kindof counts as getting up early, I guess.

Heath
11-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I do it all the time. I find I struggle these days not to wake up before about 7:30, even on weekends. I don't mind too much as it gets me up early and means that I don't waste my weekends. I don't think my girlfriend is massively pleased by this though. Her waking up to find me reading because I'd woken up before her probably isn't particularly romantic.

Jowy
11-12-2012, 10:30 PM
GO CRAZY

DON'T MIND IF I DO!

I showed up on Memorial Day once...was when I first started working whee I do now and promptly turned around when I saw the parking lot. Nobody told me!

Jiro
11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm always well aware of when these things happen because people always plan 3 day benders and the radio is talking about things to do on a long weekend etc etc. It's advertised here :freak:

Aulayna
11-12-2012, 11:30 PM
I haven't worked a single job where I've had public holidays off. (not even Christmas Day)

I'm kind of jealous of people who get that luxury. :(

CimminyCricket
11-13-2012, 12:52 AM
I wake up every day at the same time and it is very annoying, especially on days where I don't have to but up at 4:30. :c|

So yes, I wake up way early and get ready for stuff on days that I'm off :c(

Jowy
11-13-2012, 01:15 AM
stop overachieving and go back to bed!

Shlup
11-13-2012, 01:44 AM
I have never woken up early by accident in my life.

Mercen-X
11-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Yes.

Slightly unrelated. Yesterday went to my local library to return a stack of dvds whence they were borrowed. Found out it was closed because "Yoo-hoo!" it's Veteran's Day, yay... Sadly some of the items are as of today or tomorrow considered overdue and as there is no one there at the library to check them in, yeah, I'm going to be fined. Just fine. Now calm down Nedily-diddly-diddly! They did their best. Shoddily-iddly-biddly-diddly. Got to be nice, hostility-iddly-biddly-diddly, aw, hell, diddly, ding-dong crap!

Iceglow
11-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I tend to naturally wake up about 7am, if I have to be in work later that's fine I'll simply sit around on here or watch a tv show or movie until it's time to get up and get dressed. Which is what I'm doing now.

Pike
11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Once I woke up at 8pm and thought it was 8am and frantically called work and told them I had overslept and I was so so so so sorry.

They were confused.

Raistlin
11-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Once I woke up at 8pm and thought it was 8am and frantically called work and told them I had overslept and I was so so so so sorry.

They were confused.

xD

How do you mistake 8 PM for AM? Was it summer?

Chris
11-14-2012, 12:20 AM
I freak out about my dentist appointments, so I always arrive more than one hour early. Yeah, sitting in the waiting room, makes everything worse. I cannot deal. I fear the bill, not the work.

Pike
11-14-2012, 01:40 AM

They were confused.

xD

How do you mistake 8 PM for AM? Was it summer?

Yeah, it was like the middle of July. xD

Laddy
11-14-2012, 03:16 AM
All the time. I got up and had a mini-attack that I woke up at 9:30 when there was a test Monday, but it was Sunday and all was well.