PDA

View Full Version : Who Broke the Cycle, and was Tidus Necessary?

FFIX Choco Boy
11-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Basically, just as the title says.

The first question is, from a storyline perspective, who actually broke the cycle of death and Sin in Spira? Was it Tidus? Yuna? Auron? Rikku? A combination of some characters? Give me your thoughts on the matter.

The second question is, was Tidus even a necessary part of the storyline? Everyone that hates Tidus' guts all complained that he wasn't at some point, but most never explain their reasoning. I want to see us come to a sort of general consensus as to whether or not he needs to be in the game, and during what parts he really isn't necessary at all.

I'll post my thoughts after a few people reply.

Karifean
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Up to the point of Zanarkand, it seemed like they were just 'the group'. After that, you could see certain people taking the lead. After defeating Yunalesca, Tidus motivates the group to try and find a way to end the cycle. Kimahri comes up with the idea of asking Mika, the fayth tells the group about Yu Yevon. Thanks to Wakka, Rikku and Lulu's idea involving the hymn and Tidus being onboard, Jecht allows the party to enter Sin's body. Yuna summons the aeons and performs the sending at the end.

I think if Tidus hadn't been there, the group wouldn't have had the strength or motivation to keep going, to look for a way to end the cycle. He really becomes the source of hope / motivation for the party. Rikku couldn't have done that had she been by herself.
Thinking about it, Tidus is really the only person who advises the characters, mainly Yuna and Wakka, to think about why they believe in Yevon and actually think for themselves. He was partially the reason for Auron to continue his existence, although admittedly, he probably would've anyway for Yuna's sake.
So yeah, basically, he's the guy who gets most of the party to not just accept everything around them like it is, but actually act to fight the problems of the world.
That and he has the Haste spell.

Red Mage Coffman
11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
I guess you could say everyone contributed. Even Tidus... I hate to admit it, but he did give the party the motivation to try and save Yuna from inevitable death. And he DOES provoke Yuna and Wakka to think and he DOES act against it all. One could say Tidus is the match that started the fire, I suppose.

I will always have the opinon that the game should have been set up like this though

Tidus' role should have been minimized. I know he has his own link to Sin, I know he is Yuna's love interest, I know he's the star player of the- Wait a minute. Anyways, I think the story should have revolved around Yuna. Not only would she have made a good main character, but her story would have been TEN times better than that of Tidus' alone. Think about it, a sheltered, quiet girl has a big legacy and fate thrust upon her and has to make the ultimate choice of sacrificing herself for a world she doesn't know a lot about. This would have made a GREAT main character AND story. Tidus could still have a role in this. Just minimized compared to Yuna's. He still could have been there, motivating the party with his Blitzball skills and airheaded spirit, still could have fallen in love with Yuna, but he would shut the fuck up about it being his story, and let Yuna do the talking.

To me, the game would be ten times more interesting through Yuna's perspective. I wouldn't mind the occasional character switch and still including stuff about Tidus' backstory either. Just through Yuna's POV. Of course SOME things would change, but it'd be for the sake of the story and Yuna being the lead.

Does he NEED to be in X? I still don't think so. He was annoying, whiny, and as bitchy as I'll get out. I think Square could have easily taken him out and come up with some alternative to him, like having Jecht join the party. But TWO badass guys like Auron and Jecht might lead to OP parties... But if we are talking about taking him outta the game in general, without Square reworking anything, then no. Tidus, sadly, plays a somewhat large role in the story as far as breaking the cycle.

Formalhaut
11-14-2012, 12:23 AM
For me, Yuna was always the de facto leader for me, while Tidus was the official leader his role was similar to Vaan's role in XII; he was the encouragement the party needs. Having said that, I think the party didn't even really need ​Vaan.

Red Mage Coffman
11-16-2012, 03:06 PM
I hate Vaan and Tidus equally. And yeah, while Tidus had at least SOME importance, Vaan had none whatsoever. His only role was to make stupid statements and fill a character slot.

Forsaken Lover
11-17-2012, 06:34 AM
I had a lengthy argument about this exact thing elsewhere. I pointed out the fact Auron could have easily told the group the truth about the Final Summoning and they would have rejected it. Others said had it not been for Tidus, Yuna would have given her life, even if it would have only perpetuated the cycle.

I truly doubt this because Yunalesca spells out in no uncertain terms that the very act of sacrificing yourself creates a new Sin. You are in effect ensuring Sin's continued existence ie. the continued death of hundreds or thousands.

I don't think Yuna would ever agree to that, even if it was start of game Yuna.

As such I think Tidus was mostly superfluous. He gave Yuna some much needed comfort on her Pilgrimage but I don't believe he at all colored her towards rebellion or refusal. Auron could have told them all the truth in the beginning and then they'd work on a plan of action to actually destroy Sin and Yu Yevon.

James_Cub
11-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Up to the point of Zanarkand, it seemed like they were just 'the group'. After that, you could see certain people taking the lead. After defeating Yunalesca, Tidus motivates the group to try and find a way to end the cycle. Kimahri comes up with the idea of asking Mika, the fayth tells the group about Yu Yevon. Thanks to Wakka, Rikku and Lulu's idea involving the hymn and Tidus being onboard, Jecht allows the party to enter Sin's body. Yuna summons the aeons and performs the sending at the end.

I think if Tidus hadn't been there, the group wouldn't have had the strength or motivation to keep going, to look for a way to end the cycle. He really becomes the source of hope / motivation for the party. Rikku couldn't have done that had she been by herself.
Thinking about it, Tidus is really the only person who advises the characters, mainly Yuna and Wakka, to think about why they believe in Yevon and actually think for themselves. He was partially the reason for Auron to continue his existence, although admittedly, he probably would've anyway for Yuna's sake.
So yeah, basically, he's the guy who gets most of the party to not just accept everything around them like it is, but actually act to fight the problems of the world.
That and he has the Haste spell.

I completely agree! I didn't like Tidus as a character, but I think that Karifean is absolutely right.
Forsaken Lover, Yuna might have not agreed to Yunalesca's proposal, but as you could see Wakka and Lulu would. In the end, I think Yuna would have been coerced into it. Especially because if you notice, in the beginning of the game, Tidus asks why do it, if he keeps coming back? And Yuna says that it is worth it, because then people are able to sleep peacefully if only for a little while, so she would have ultimately done it, were it not for him and Rikku's perseverance into trying to stop the cycle.