Hollycat
11-13-2012, 03:41 AM
1. the dark knight rises
2. I haven't seen anything else.

Balzac
11-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Dark Knight Rises
A Fantastic Fear of Everything
Brave (Although it wasn't as good as I hoped)
The Avengers

blackmage_nuke
11-13-2012, 02:45 PM
1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Avengers

I definitely would not put The Gray on my list. Maybe Looper but it would be number 5 and I'd be happy to bump it off.

Shorty
11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
1. Dark Knight Rises
2. The Avengers
3. Looper

and those are all the films I've seen so far. I'm certain if I'd seen Seven Psychopaths and Silent Hill, though, they'd be on there.

Jowy
11-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Seven Psychopaths is great, Sarah. You're missing out...The movie's definitely not like the trailers portray it, but you're still getting a hell of a story out of it. Plus the ending is just GREAT. That's one of the two movies I've seen this year. The Avengers being the other; and that was also class.

Depression Moon
11-13-2012, 10:22 PM
1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Avengers
3. Wreck-It Ralph
4. Thor

Chris
11-13-2012, 10:36 PM
1. Flowers of War
2. Prometheus
3. Arthur Christmas
4. The Avengers
5. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer (Shut up! I liked it very much! :mad2:)

charliepanayi
11-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Going by UK release dates, and in no order:

Martha Marcy May Marlene
The Imposter
Moonrise Kingdom
The Avengers
The Artist (OK it came out in one UK cinema on December 30th 2011 but I'm going to cheat a bit here)

But still got stuff like Amour and Life of Pi to see. And I haven't digested The Master fully yet.

Denmark
11-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Seven Psychopaths is great, Sarah. You're missing out...

well if only they would show the movie at theaters ANYWHERE

i think I've only seen Looper this year, so yeah

Jiro
11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
I am not a movie guy so just don't even flame me bro

Batman: Dark Knight Rises
Chronicle
The Avengers
Rock of Ages
The Hunger Games

I mean shit I seen quite a few movies this year but a lot of the ones that were maybe excellent films I have yet to watch so there's my list of shit that was enjoyable at least

if you flame me i'll kill you

Denmark
11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
FLAMESTORM

Jiro
11-15-2012, 12:52 AM
ARGH WHERE'S MY VEST OF RESIST FIRE

DMKA
11-15-2012, 02:37 AM
1. The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. The Hunger Games
4. The Avengers
5. John Carter

charliepanayi
11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
1. The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. The Hunger Games
4. The Avengers
5. John Carter

John Carter? OK, now I know this list is a joke!

Night Fury
11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
I am not a movie guy so just don't even flame me bro

Chronicle
The Avengers
Rock of Ages
The Hunger Games

I mean trout I seen quite a few movies this year but a lot of the ones that were maybe excellent films I have yet to watch so there's my list of trout that was enjoyable at least

if you flame me i'll kill you

Good list! I totally forgot about Chronicle, that was a great film...
Think mine would be

Avengers
Skyfall
Hunger Games
Chronicle
Prometheus

(Don't think I saw a good movie for 5th, Silent Hill sucked.)
I'm going to see that new Dreamworks one, maybe that can go on :)

Scratch that, I saw both Prometheus and Spiderman, totally forgot about those. I know Prometheus kind of tanked, but I enjoyed it, and of the films I got to see this year it's up there

Aulayna
11-15-2012, 02:03 PM
1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Avengers
3. Skyfall
4. Cabin in the Woods

soon

5. Hobbit

That will be the only 5 films I've seen this year xD

Shiny
11-17-2012, 07:56 PM
There are so many movies coming out this month and the beginning of December. Most of them will most likely be the Oscar nominated ones (hint: Lincoln, The Hobbit...), so I will hold off on my list. Zero Dark Thirty—Kathryn Bigelow's new film—is coming out soon.

While I like every movie I've seen this year thus far apart from Breaking Dawn Part 1 (okay it came out 2011 but I refuse to watch this in a theater) and Snow White, I honestly don't think wow to any of them with exception of Prometheus. I really liked Syfall as well, but I was sipping champagne while watching it, so I have a feeling that had a lot to do with it.

Also, I have yet to see The Dark Knight Rises and I really want to even though my gut tells me that this last installment is going to fit into the super hero trilogy curse where the third is just bad in comparison to the other two.

Night Fury
11-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I watched 21 Jump Street last night, it was awesome. Probably not good enough to be in my top 5, but.. actually yeah, change it for Prometheus, it was so good!

Del Murder
11-18-2012, 02:54 AM
1. Marvel's Avengers
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Probably Skyfall (haven't seen it yet)
4. The Hunger Games
5. Ted (possibly soon to be replaced by Wreck It Ralph)

I'm sure once I see The Hobbit it will go up there at least at number 4 but maybe higher.

Jinx
11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
1. The Odd Life of Timothy Green
2. Brave
3. Hunger Games
4. The Five-Year Engagement

I plan on seeing Life of Pi, Wreck-It Ralph, The Hobbit, and Les Miserables before the end of the year. :) I don't go to the movies often, because it's exy.

Shiny
11-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Since it seems I won't be able to see The Hobbit/Zero Dark Thirty double feature free screening ;___; here's my list - in no particular order:

1. Avengers
2. Lincoln
3. Sinister
4. Prometheus
5. Brave -- while Wreck-it-Ralph, ParaNorman, and Rise of the Guardians was funnier and more enjoyable this was better written. Still not as good as other Pixar films, but they are still the kings of storytelling and whole mother daughter thing got me man, it got me. If I were to go overall and say what animated film is probably going to win this year and deserve ultimately Rise of the Guardians will probably take the cake. Wreck it Ralph was a very original story so it's hard to say on who really is going to get this as they're all really good, but not Up good so neither of them are good enough for Best Picture, but at least they'll get their noms for Best Animated.

(Also have still yet to see Dark Knight Rises and will be seeing The Hunger Games in like two days)

I forgot I haven't seen Ted and Seven Psychopaths either, but I've been wanting to so bad. I tried watching Spiderman, but it bored me to tears. When does it get good? Because the first 30 minutes are so are brutal.

Laddy
11-20-2012, 06:46 AM
*insert patronizing speech about why Prometheus was a massive disappointment*

Faris
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Hunger Games
The Avengers

...I go to the cinema and keep up to date with new movies a lot :greenie: Heck, one of those I watched on a plane.

Jiro
11-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Chronicle
The Avengers
Skyfall
The Hunger Games

New list because Skyfall. Fuck I love Bond. It got me man, it just got me. All those throwbacks.

The Man
11-26-2012, 03:54 AM
1. Lincoln
2. The Avengers
3. The Hunger Games

I can't say anything else I've seen deserves to be on this list, although I still haven't seen Looper or Skyfall.

charliepanayi
12-27-2012, 12:44 PM
OK I have a top ten now for 2012, based on UK release dates:

1. The Imposter
2. The Avengers
3. Moonrise Kingdom
4. The Master
5. Martha Marcy May Marlene
6. The Artist (cheating a bit there as it came out in one cinema at the end of December 2011 but oh well)
7. Beasts of the Southern Wild
8. Young Adult
9. Argo
10. The Muppets

Honourable mentions: Amour, Looper, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, The Dark Knight Rises.

maybee
12-28-2012, 02:20 AM
1 The Dark Knight

2 Hunger Games

3 Guardians

4 Avengers

5 Ralph

Shiny
12-28-2012, 04:19 AM
I recently saw the new Spiderman movie, Cabin in the Woods, The Dark Knight Rises, and Ted, but I liked Spiderman more. It's definitely one of my favorite films of the year.

Still on my list to see eventually: Seven Psychopaths, The Hunger Games (I will seeing this in a few days when it premieres on EPIX), Impossible, and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Zero Dark Thirty and Argo I heard were amazing. I MUST SEE THESE.

I have zero interest in seeing The Master as it looks extremely prententious and Daniel Day Lewis isn't in it. :colbert:

Pike
12-29-2012, 01:44 AM
I think I liked all the movies I saw this year. My top three would probably go to Skyfall, The Hobbit, and Wreck-it-Ralph. Honorable mentions to Brave and The Avengers.

EDIT: I completely forgot about The Dictator somehow and am putting that in second place. That movie was HILARIOUS.

Bolivar
01-01-2013, 01:50 AM
1. The Hobbit
2. Les Mis
3. Think Like a Man
4. DKR
5. Skyfall

DarkBahamut
01-01-2013, 02:27 AM
In no order.

Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
The Hobbit
Silver Linings Playbook
21 Jump Street (Had to add a comedy :D)

Honorable Mentions:
Django Unchained, Looper, Prometheus (even though I thought it was slightly ridiculous.)

I hated the Hunger Games and Skyfall...Putting that out there.

Night Fury
01-01-2013, 10:23 AM
21 Jump Street was great haha

NeoCracker
01-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Only new movies I think I saw were Avengers and Paranorman. Both are awesome.

And Paranorman is surprisingly dark. It's great!

Pike
01-01-2013, 10:37 AM
OH MAN I forgot about Prometheus. Loved that movie JUST BECAUSE OF DAVID, what a great character.

NeoCracker
01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Oh, I almost forgot Amazing Spiderman! Also a wonderful movie.

Shiny
01-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Actually smurf Lincoln. I'm all about Hitchcock, Argo, Avengers, Brave, Wreck-it-Ralph, and Prometheus.

The Man
01-02-2013, 09:59 PM
I have absolutely zero desire to see Zero Dark Thirty because it is a torture-endorsing fabrication (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/14/zero-dark-thirty-cia-propaganda). Several other films people have listed do look intriguing though.

charliepanayi
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
That Guardian column is a load of nonsense. I really can't see Kathryn Bigelow being a torture-endorsing fanatic. And I really doubt it would be getting rave reviews if it was some neo-con fantasy. Besides they started making the film before Bin Laden was killed, it was originally going to end with the search for him still ongoing. I can't wait to see the film personally.

The Man
01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Greenwald is far from the only one who has seen it as pro-torture. For example, Jane Mayer (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/torture-in-kathryn-bigelows-zero-dark-thirty.html), who has conducted possibly the most thorough investigation of torture by the U.S. government, came away with exactly the same conclusions. She is far from the only one (http://ggsidedocs.blogspot.com.br/2012/12/frank-bruni-new-york-times-its-hard-not.html). By all accounts, the film clearly depicts waterboarding being used and directly leading to the discovery of Osama Bin Laden's location, when in reality no useful information whatsoever was discovered through torture.

And you apparently underestimate how shallow the film industry is today. Film critics don't seem to give a damn about message these days.

charliepanayi
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Well it's not by all accounts though is it, since clearly many people have seen the film and don't think it endorses torture at all. And it's ludicrous to claim that film reviewers don't care about this sort of thing, you only have to see the differing reviews about the new film The Impossible and whether it marginalises the Asian victims of the tsunami disaster. Not to mention the (pretty daft) way The Dark Knight Rises was accused in different quarters of being too left-wing and too right-wing. Critics love spotting messages, whether real or imagined.

The Man
01-02-2013, 10:34 PM
The film clearly depicts waterboarding being used and clearly depicts that as leading to the capture of Osama bin Laden. I'm not really sure how anyone could read that as not being an endorsement of torture. But if you want to pretend that all the people who have reported the film as doing exactly that are just hallucinating it, then obviously I'm not going to convince you of anything.

And I didn't say all film critics don't give a damn about message, but there are quite a substantial contingent who clearly don't care, as evidenced by their indifference to this film's complete historical fabrications.

Franjopz
01-04-2013, 05:45 AM
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
the hobbit
amazing spiderman

Bolivar
01-05-2013, 08:43 AM
It's a movie. Water boarding was an iconic controversy from the War on Terror that many filmmakers have used to sensationalize and timestamp the onscreen drama. If you were anti-torture at the time, it will probably repulse you. If you were pro-torture, you'll probably romanticize it.

If you're in the middle, I guess it could go either way. I don't really see it as an endorsement.

Shorty
01-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I'd like to redo my list now that I've seen a few more films.

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Hobbit
3. The Avengers
4. Life of Pi
5. Looper

The Man
01-05-2013, 05:24 PM
It's not just that it includes waterboarding. It's that it depicts waterboarding as doing something it did not do in real life. Waterboarding did not lead to the capture of Osama bin Laden. The fact that the film depicts it as doing so makes it film is pro-waterboarding in comparison to the actual historical record. The actual historical record indicates that torture is less than useless as a source of useful information, and may in fact have led us to an unnecessary war in Iraq based on faulty testimony, but as a person that relies on this film as a source of information would be unlikely to know this, it gives an inaccurate impression (and one tilted in favour of torture).

And it's not "just a movie". The film explicitly claims to be a chronicle of historical record, and now its defenders are trying to pretend that it does not make these claims. The film is trying to have it both ways - it's trying to pass itself off as a legitimate historical document, but at the same time when it is being called on its glaring and irresponsible inaccuracies, it's pretending to be "just a movie". It's bullshit.

charliepanayi
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Again, if the film (which you haven't seen and neither have I) was as explicitly pro-torture as you claim, I don't believe it would be this critically acclaimed. The fact there is a debate suggests it's not as black and white as you claim. And I look forward to watching it and making my own mind up.

The Man
01-05-2013, 08:34 PM
There's only "debate" because people are in denial of the fact that the film depicts historical events that did not actually happen. Film critics can be as ignorant of history as the rest of the general public; they do not have any special claim to enlightenment on political matters, and in fact the film has been roundly attacked by many people for butchering history, so your claim that there would not be controversy if the film's butchering of history were not black and white is highly suspect.

Sephex
01-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey, who spilled Eyes on Each Other into my Lounge? Waitress! WAITRESS! I demand a refund!

blackmage_nuke
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I havent seen the film or read the entire conversation up until now, but I feel claiming the movie is pro-torture sounds a bit like the people who claimed American Psycho was pro-violence-against-women. Thats just the way the story went, it might depict the torture being sucessful but no doubt the theme is there to provoke arguement.

The Man
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
American Psycho pretty clearly doesn't approve of the acts of its main character, though; in fact, it's a pretty obvious satire of '80s attitudes about capitalism and the sociopathy involved in it. As far as I can tell, there isn't any such critical intent behind Zero Dark Thirty. Depicting something that didn't actually happen and then claiming that your film is factual equates to distorting history, and if that distortion involves making torture look more effective than it actually proved to be, then that equates to a pro-torture bias in my book.