PDA

View Full Version : Sibling Opposites

Shiny
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
They say siblings are the polar opposite of yourself. My sister wears Abercrombie, is part of the cheerleading squad, thinks ripped jeans are cool, a poor student, talks like a valley girl, wants to date at the age of 12, and wears makeup.

When I was 12 I wouldn't even dream of doing any of these things, and now that I'm 22, I still don't do most it. Even though we have a huge age gap, it's still amazing to me how different she is.

Do you have any siblings? If so, are they extremely different from you? If you're an older child, do your parents go easier on the young one(s)?

escobert
11-16-2012, 07:31 PM
All I have are step siblings. They aren't at all like me and not really like each other!

Pike
11-16-2012, 07:41 PM
I am the oldest of six kids and I raised all five of my younger siblings correctly so all they do is stay inside and play video games. I'm so proud :}

My brother is full-on casual though and just plays DotA and stuff. :(

Also my sisters think Oblivion is the best Elder Scrolls game so I need to have a talk to them about that.

escobert
11-16-2012, 07:46 PM
I am the oldest of six kids and I raised all five of my younger siblings correctly so all they do is stay inside and play video games. I'm so proud :}

Also my sisters think Oblivion is the best Elder Scrolls game so I need to have a talk to them about that.

You're sister sounds like a very smart girl. :bigsmile:

Faris
11-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Nope, just me. If I had siblings I would have been the oldest and probably a terrible older sister.

Pike
11-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Which one? I have four!

One of them can kick my ass in Tetris Attack. I'm so proud :')

escobert
11-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Which one? I have four!

One of them can kick my ass in Tetris Attack. I'm so proud :')

The one that prefers Oblivion of course!

Psychotic
11-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Some people have to say something, some people have something to say. This phrase describes my brother and I very well. My brother is the loudest person in the history of noisy motherfuckers. I know this might not fit with your preconceived ideas about me, EoFF, but I am actually quiet and reserved most of the time! Even the way we walk - he stomps around the house whereas you would never know I was there.

escobert
11-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Some people have to say something, some people have something to say. This phrase describes my brother and I very well. My brother is the loudest person in the history of noisy motherfuckers. I know this might not fit with your preconceived ideas about me, EoFF, but I am actually quiet and reserved most of the time! Even the way we walk - he stomps around the house whereas you would never know I was there.

I always know where you are, in my heart :love:

Chris
11-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I have a lot of older siblings, who are all adults in their 40s now. My dad is quite older than my mom, and he's been married many times before they met. I'm not really close to any of them. I mean, we see each other occasionally, but that's all.

Now, I have an older half-brother (he's from Japanese), and I have a younger sister. I am nothing like any of them, meaning I am far better than either one of them.

Futan
11-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Some people have to say something, some people have something to say. This phrase describes my brother and I very well. My brother is the loudest person in the history of noisy mothersmurfers. I know this might not fit with your preconceived ideas about me, EoFF, but I am actually quiet and reserved most of the time! Even the way we walk - he stomps around the house whereas you would never know I was there.

This describes my sister and I too. We're actually opposites in most other ways too excluding our opinions.

Shorty
11-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I think my sisters and I are all pretty similar but hold different traits and roles. Even the one I don't like I find similarities of myself in her. I am obnoxiously bossy and argumentative, Erica is pretty happy-go-lucky and social, Amanda is horrendously stubborn but incredibly smart and Alicia is the youngest and loudest. Amanda and I are the most alike.

My mom went easier on my younger sisters and completely gave up with the youngest one.

Miriel
11-16-2012, 09:17 PM
They say siblings are the polar opposite of yourself.

Is that a thing? Because I've never heard that before.

My brother and I are different, but I don't really know anyone who is exactly like me. We share a lot of similarities though. We both love adventure, doing new things, exploring. We love our dogs. We're quick to anger. We have a weird sense of humor. We share a lot of core values like appreciating family, friends, food. We tend to be rather generous. But I think these are just the result of being raised in the same way.

He's more outgoing, chatty, friendly with strangers. I'm more introverted, more well read and educated. But he has more common sense. I'm more responsible and thoughtful. He's more spontaneous and I'm a planner. He's not as empathetic as I am, or as obsessive. He and I both claim to be lazy, but I really am lazy and he's just more forgetful and doesn't do things because he just doesn't remember to.

Madonna
11-16-2012, 09:25 PM
I think what they say is that a person's personality is affected by in which order children are born. We consider the eldest the leader, the youngest the spoiled baby, the middle one more artistic, et cetera. I am sure others can provide other common ideas.

Once you have more than one sibling, it is hard to imagine all of them, with their varied personalities, to be opposites of little old you.

Agent Proto
11-16-2012, 09:37 PM
I have two younger brothers, considering I'm the oldest. The middle one, has always been considered the trouble maker of the three. He's a lot like my mom in many ways, so they tend to butt heads quite a bit. My youngest brother, he's somewhat of a goofball. Both of my brothers don't have a hard time making friends, whereas I do. I usually have to rely on them to make any friends around, but I tend to do good. They also don't seem to lack self confidence. :3 I'm like... a bit of an oddball, considering I'm nothing like my mom, though I do share a lot of my dad's traits.

Laddy
11-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I have two sisters and they're the exact opposite of me. :monster:

That's all I go into.

Heath
11-16-2012, 10:52 PM
My sister and I really are chalk and cheese.

My sister and I have very little in common. Apart from similar genes and an interest in football, I can't really point to any similarities in interests or personality. We've never really gotten on, which I think partly stems from that.

Fujiko
11-16-2012, 11:21 PM
They say siblings are the polar opposite of yourself. My sister wears Abercrombie, is part of the cheerleading squad, thinks ripped jeans are cool, a poor student, talks like a valley girl, wants to date at the age of 12, and wears makeup.

When I was 12 I wouldn't even dream of doing any of these things, and now that I'm 22, I still don't do most it. Even though we have a huge age gap, it's still amazing to me how different she is.

Do you have any siblings? If so, are they extremely different from you? If you're an older child, do your parents go easier on the young one(s)?

I totally wanted to do cheerleading and wear makeup and have a boyfriend when I was around that age. But my parents kept me away from it. Which was sometimes for my own good cause 12 is really young imo. Also my sister isn't the polar opposite, but she's very different to me.

Parents always go easier on the younger ones! It doesn't matter what culture/society/whatever you're from imho; I think one of the reasons might be that they saw what whatever "strict" rules they had for their firstborn did to the child, that they feel they must go for a different, more laid back attitude toward the younger ones. Or they're just inexperienced with the first one so it's easier to go easy on the second born etc. OR they're just lazy to put in the effort after the first or second child. Idk really...

I mean, at the same time, the firstborn is always the favourite. I have a brother that is older than me, and he has def always gotten more attention and care, and dare I say love, from my mother than I did. He still does, and she just won't admit it, but it's true. He's the firstborn. ;______; My dad loves us all the same though! That's how it appears to me anyway.

Anyway, my parents were way stricter when it came to my elder brother and I than they were when it came to my younger sis and bro.

All of the above, except for the first paragraph, is the case with all of my friends that have siblings.

fire_of_avalon
11-17-2012, 04:11 AM
My sister and I are very similar in a lot of ways. We have similar interests and hobbies, similar sense of humor. We're both compassionate, empathic, and very protective. We're different in a lot of ways too. I'm much more responsible than she is, she is more artistic and creative. I'm nosier and she's more apt to make friends. I'm a peacemaker and she's... well she necessitates a peacemaker. xD

Shiny
11-17-2012, 07:19 PM
I think what they say is that a person's personality is affected by in which order children are born. We consider the eldest the leader, the youngest the spoiled baby, the middle one more artistic, et cetera. I am sure others can provide other common ideas.

Once you have more than one sibling, it is hard to imagine all of them, with their varied personalities, to be opposites of little old you.

True, child order is said to effect a person's personality. However, it is also said that whatever personality the oldest child has, the younger child will more than often have the exact opposite of that. For instance, if the older child is a good student, but a recluse, the younger child could be outgoing, but a horrible student.

I don't quite know if this is a deliberate choice or not, but I do know that my sister will often say, "She's not me" to my dad whenever he gets on her about why she isn't doing this or that. It could also be because of my age, she wants to do all the things that I'm doing now. Like she feels left out. That, or it's true that every decade kids get "faster". But yeah, totally agree with the fact that the youngest always gets it easier especially if it's the third or fourth, etc. because parents just get lazy. Parental laziness is a whole other thread topic though.

Jessweeee♪
11-17-2012, 08:23 PM
I have a little brother and my parents adopted three of my younger cousins. My brother and I are identical when it comes down to interests and hobbies, very similar in appearance, and our personalities are also very similar. But we are total opposites in how we deal with conflict. I just kind of ignore stuff until it goes away and he goes out fists swinging (usually figurative verbal foot-in-your-mouth type fists). Our parents raised us both the same way but he complains that they were easier on me. The truth is I know how to pick my battles and he loves debates. Throw a tantrum about not getting to pick my own elective class for my last year of middle school, not about the groceries. Duh doy.

Night Fury
11-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Yeah me and my sister are so different. She's blonde, really tall, athletic and does really well at vocational stuff...

And I'm short, brunette, not very athletic and really academic.

In terms of interests we're different too, she was definitely swayed more by peer pressure than I was, wanted all the cool 'in' things all the time, she's more of a 'chav' and I guess I'm a 'nerd'.

I hate her, but I'm the only one that's allowed to hate her. Anyone who messes with my sister has to deal with me >.>

milliegoesbeep
11-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I have two sisters and a brother.

My brother whom is older and I are like chalk and cheese; i'm a very reserved and shy individual whereas he is rather outward. We have almost completely opposite opinions about most topics; we rarely speak to each other now that we live on our own.

My younger sister is very bratty. My mother favours her and it's quite evident that she lets her get away with murder. She is waited on by hand and foot, something my brother and I would never have experienced.

In regards to those siblings, my brother and sister are very alike and share many traits, taste and quirks. My other sister on my dad's side, however, is very similar to me. Just a more confident and extroverted me xD

Aerith's Knight
11-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Excluding my older sister, I have two brothers. An older one, and a younger one.

My older brother is the stereotypical jock, plays lots of sports and only really plays CoD.:roll2
My younger brother is a hardcore MMO gamer and anime fan. Dude never leaves the PC room at my parents place.

I am somewhere in between. I play a lot of games, but am neither a CoD fan, and I hate MMO's. I've played every sport available in the area, but always between 6 months and 3 years.

It's funny, you have the whole range of extremes, while I'm the mediator. I guess maybe the differences in it are simply because of the generation.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-17-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm an only child, but I've observed a lot of that behavior in my friends and their siblings.

Sometimes it results in very bitter relationships, and other times it means they have a close relationship where their differences compliment each other. Just depends.

Jiro
11-18-2012, 07:11 AM
My brother is brutish, has little education, small job prospects, terrible choice in friends, no issues making them, drug addictions, is frivolous with money, has ferocious anger management problems, cannot bite his tongue, shows disrespect to people he really ought not to, is aggressive and violent, cannot admit to being wrong, relies on everybody else to do things for him (mostly because if he tries to do them he ends up becoming frustrated and abuses the other person)... Yeah that will do for now.

Iceglow
11-18-2012, 12:33 PM
ONLY CHILD FTW

THAT JUST MEANT YOU WERE A LONELY BABY!

Aside from pointing out the flaws with Sam's arguments:

My elder brother is 15 years older than me, but we tend to have similar humours. I find it funny though that my brother had by my age at least 2 of his 3 sons and had just gotten married to his childhood sweetheart.

My sister is closer to my age with an 18 month age gap between us. She has 4 children by 3 different guys, she has little to no work history having only been a trainee hair-stylist when she decided to give up work to become a mother. She lives on benefits and at home with my mother. Meanwhile I have major issues with commitment in any prolonged relationship, no children (that I am aware of) and work my arse off trying to get myself promoted and finding something better in regards to work. My sister has no education to speak of and whilst I didn't go on to university because I decided against getting myself in debt of 30grand for a piece of paper (which in today's society is about all a degree is) at the age of 18 I still have more education than most of my family put together. I am however the child who had an issue with drugs when to my knowledge whilst my sister has a habit of dating drug users she has never had issues with doing drugs, sure she smoked a little pot when younger but I smoked a lot of pot and did a lot more harder stuff too it was this in part which also helped form my decisions not to go to university at the time, I needed to sort my life out and get away from the people influencing me to do drugs.

Overall am I the polar opposite of my siblings? I'd say I'm different but thats about it.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-18-2012, 12:42 PM
When I tell people I'm an only child, I like to tell them it's because my parents learned their lesson the first time. :tongue:

Mirage
11-18-2012, 01:13 PM
My younger siblings (I have three) all have something that is similar to me, along with a lot of stuff that isn't.

We're all pretty good with technology, all of us like the final fantasies (thanks to me!), although some of them grew out of it while I and one more did not. We all kind of enjoy the same kind of humor and other themes in movies and tv shows as well. We're also all tall as smurf. I'm the oldest of us all and I'm actually the shortest, at 194 cm.

Denmark
11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
My brother is 5 years older than me so I think he had a reasonable level of influence in how I turned out. We're different in smallish ways but not anywhere near "polar opposites".

Clo
11-19-2012, 08:34 PM
My little brother is not necessarily my OPPOSITE, but he is a very noble person. I would definitely not describe myself as noble. He bleeds nobility.

Polnareff
11-22-2012, 01:33 AM
I have a lot of older siblings, who are all adults in their 40s now. My dad is quite older than my mom, and he's been married many times before they met. I'm not really close to any of them. I mean, we see each other occasionally, but that's all.

Weird as hell. We're both named Chris (though I HATE being called that...) and both have half-siblings who are way older than us, and even have dads that are way older than our moms.

I'm not close to any of mine either. In fact last year I almost beat my one half-brother to a bloody pulp because he almost killed my mom (long story).

My half siblings are, age wise, 52, 49, 47, 46, and 39 years old. The 47-year-old is my half-sister. My mom and dad had a 19-year age difference, with my mom now being 51 years old (you read that right; my oldest half-brother is 3 months older than my mom). My dad would have just turned 70 if he was still alive. I had two full-blooded sisters, one who would be 27 next month and another who would be 14 next January. But both died. I was my mom's miracle child. I'm 24 so I would have been the middle child out of her kids.

I'm not really close to any of them other than maybe my oldest half-brother, but I never see him anymore. I outright hate my youngest half-brother for what I mentioned before, and another half-brother is on my trout list because he decided my dad was worthless to him.

As for whether I'm opposite to them or not, I'll focus on my oldest brother. I am very unlike him in a lot of ways. For one he has a shitload of charisma, which I'll admit I don't have at all. He's also built like a football player, and while I have some muscle, I'm still on the skinny side. Even our personalities are totally different. You'd swear the guy's a saint, but I have a hair trigger temper sometimes. So yeah, very different. About the only thing we really share is that we're both two of the more intelligent people in the family.

Mercen-X
11-22-2012, 05:14 AM
What I know of my brother is that he seemed to have been more reckless and outgoing than I was. Don't get me wrong, I was pretty reckless too, but my brother got more injuries than I did.

Citizen Bleys
11-22-2012, 05:30 AM
I am a frakking genius and my brother has down's syndrome. You call it.

Shlup
11-22-2012, 08:32 AM
My sister and I have the same temperment and interests. We're similar in a lot of ways. Our middle sister is a psychopath though. And our brother is cool, but we don't have many interests in common.

Breine
11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't really look a lot like my older brother, but we apparently have a way of speaking that is similar and some similar mannerisms as well. Other than that he's the complete opposite of me in every way. He's the typical jock, I'm the nerd/hippy/artsy guy. He's very out-going, I'm more introverted. Completely different interests too and so on and so forth.

I still really like him, though. It's cool to have a sibling that you're completely different from. I think it's something to appreciate. It creates a different dynamic, you're able to learn from each other and mirror yourself in each other in another way.

Peegee
11-24-2012, 04:51 PM
I have two siblings and we are the opposite of each other

Bunny
11-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Both my older and younger brother are far more social and outgoing than I am. That's about the only big difference I can think of.

I guess my younger brother has religion and whatnot.

Shiny
11-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Our middle sister is a psychopath though.

Well, there has to be at least one in every family. Tends to be the uncle.

Raistlin
11-25-2012, 07:26 AM
My sister is very different from me. She is almost 12 years younger than me, but the personality differences are obvious; my mom got remarried and really wanted another kid so she could have something to baby. My mom babied the hell out of her, and it shows. She is a girly girl, wannabe hipster, very emotional, very dependent on others, and not very nerdy -- none of which describes me, even at her age. She's also much more outgoing and social than I am. About the only thing we have in common is our sense of humor and the occasional similar taste in movies/TV shows (she watches Doctor Who... but then ruins it by watching everything on the CW). She also doesn't read, whereas I lived in books at her age.