PDA

View Full Version : Article: A brief history of dragoons

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-16-2012, 08:43 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/1000px-Kain_lean_FMV_DS-1-1.jpg

"All those who challenge me will fall." - Kain Highwind, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/ff2-gareth.jpgDragoon. Dragon Knight. Lancer. Whatever you choose to call them, the dragoon class is a force to be reckoned with in the Final Fantasy series. As can be guessed by their name, they are heavily associated with dragons, often befriending them or owning them as pets. Dragoons are known for having high physical stats and low magical stats, being a physically oriented class. They are also known for their "Jump" ability, which allows the dragoon to leap into the air for one turn, before streaking down to strike some unfortunate enemy the next turn.

Another popular move is the "Lancet" ability which allows a dragoon to steal a small amount of Hit Points from an enemy to restore their own. Usually sporting a pointed dragon helmet along with other dragon themed armor and a lance, the dragoons have been making an appearance in the series since Final Fantasy 2. Let's take a look at the dragoon who started it all, as well as a few of the more popular dragoons in the series.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/CidHighwind-FFVIIArt.pngOur introduction to dragoons in the series is in the form of Ricard Highwind (or Gareth, if you played the PlayStation version). Ricard, as the last surviving dragoon, and with the help of the last surviving wyvern, flies the main party into the Cyclone where they defeat the Emperor for the first time. Later on, the malicious Emperor returns from the depths of Hell and Ricard sacrifices himself in an attempt to create a diversion so the party can escape him. Quite an impressive class introduction into the series, indeed.

Final Fantasy 4 introduces us to arguably the most popular dragoon in the series, Kain Highwind (seen at the top of the page). A dragoon in the service of the Kingdom of Baron, he is a long time friend and adoptive brother of Cecil. He vies for the affection of Rosa, but keeps it to himself knowing how strong Cecil and Rosa feel about each other. Kain is one complex character, often considered by gamers to fit the archetype of "Cool best friend who outshines the main character". His mind gets controlled by Golbez (or rather Zemus) several times during the game, but he ultimately breaks free of this and joins the main party to take down Zemus in their final confrontation.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/freya-crescent-80997.jpgIn Final Fantasy 7 we are introduced to Cid Highwind, the smart mouthed airship pilot widely considered to be the most-known and best Cid in the series. Even our very own forum creator used Cid Highwind as his avatar and namesake. Cid, while not dressed in usual dragoon attire, has all the makings of a dragoon. He wields a spear, has several jump techniques and a dragon in his limit breaks. He is a member of the main party and helps take down Sephiroth at the end of the game.

Final Fantasy 9 gives us the first anthropomorphic dragoon of the main series. Freya Crescent is a Dragon Knight in search of her lost love, Sir Fratley. On her never ending search she runs into Zidane right before the Festival of the Hunt, at which point she joins the party and continues to search for Fratley while helping the group out. It is later on discovered after Freya finally finds her lover that he has amnesia, but by the end of the game he ends up being quite fond of her, despite not remembering who she is, and they both help to rebuild their homeland of Burmecia.

Honorable mentions in other games in the series:
-Final Fantasy 3, 5, 11, 14 and the Tactics games all have the dragoon as an available class in one form or another
-You can acquire Dragoon Boots in Final Fantasy 6 which changes the "Fight" command into "Jump"
-Ward in Final Fantasy 8 uses a Harpoon and has a Jump attack limit break
-Kimahri in Final Fantasy 10 appears to have the characteristics of both a dragoon and a blue mage. His first Overdrive is Jump and he has the Lancet ability (which helps him learn other overdrives)
-In Final Fantasy 12: Revenant Wings, Llyud can use the Jump and Lancet abilities
-In Final Fantasy Type-0, the character Nine of Class Zero makes use of spears and the Jump ability
-Final Fantasy Versus 13 appears to have a female dragoon antagonist
-Dragoons have shown up in various Square games as enemies, such as the PSICOM dragoon in Final Fantasy 13 and the dangerous looking dragoons in the Kingdom Hearts series.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/5-dragoon-a.jpg

As far as I can recall, I believe this is the first thread I've made that could be considered article worthy. I don't consider myself a great writer yet but it is something I'm actively working towards. I'm proud of myself for putting my nose to the grindstone and writing this article which I've put off for too long. Constructive criticism is welcomed and encouraged. With that being said, I hope you've enjoyed my research, or at the very least, I hope it gave you a moment to appreciate dragoons like I do. Thank you for reading.

Loony BoB
11-16-2012, 09:18 PM
An excellent article. :) I hope you don't mind, but I've edited in some new tags I've created to float the images to the left/right of the text... obviously you can mess around with that as you see fit. I like to think it makes it flow a little more like how you were intending (after checking your tags).

LadyJuxtaposition
11-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Best memorable quote from Cid Highwind: "Sit yer ass down, and drink yer goddamn tea!" Man, I have never forgotten that quote from him! :D

Anyway, great article! It got good infomation about Dragoons and I learned something from this. Now thinking about it, one of my OCs has some of those characterists, physical-wise and weaponary-wise (still need to create a Bio Info sheet about her).

Somehow, reading the names Kain Highwind and Cid Highwind together, I would wonder about the situtation where they met for the first time. Or rather, I would create a Venn Diagram to juxtapose them, comparing their features, skills, personality, etc. Whatever my reaction might be, it seems interesting how the two of them are similar but yet so different.

Roogle
11-17-2012, 06:55 AM
A very good overview of the role of Dragoons in the Final Fantasy series. I would love to see an introspective like this on other job classes!

Elly
11-17-2012, 04:47 PM
you can't forget Edgar Figaro from FFVI, he too had the Dragoon qualities, Spear, Jump Skill...

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-17-2012, 09:53 PM
you can't forget Edgar Figaro from FFVI, he too had the Dragoon qualities, Spear, Jump Skill...

Those are good points! Although he is widely considered to be a Machinist/Engineer/Tinker :D

I always considered Edgar a jack of all trades, because he was able to use multiple weapons, especially with his "Tools" command ;)

Futan
11-17-2012, 11:30 PM
A very good overview of the role of Dragoons in the Final Fantasy series. I would love to see an introspective like this on other job classes!

I agree with this!

Agrias
11-18-2012, 05:21 AM
This was a very well thought out article and really gave some great insight on Dragoons. Many of my friends love dragoons and their skill class/abilities.

I'd like to see more! Good job!

Bolivar
11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Haha, don't be all humble about striving to be a writer, this is better written than most articles you can find by video game journalists out there today. Really awesome stuff, I enjoy the Highwind lineage in the series.

Tiny contribution: I believe one of the cities in FFIII had a legend about a dragoon who saved them once, and it coincides with a part where the party is expected to all switch to dragoons to go up against a challenging winged boss.