PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this exact sound problem on the NesTopia emulator?

*Laurelindo*
11-17-2012, 01:23 AM
I finally found a video that beautifully demonstrates the kind of sound problem I always have while using NesTopia. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOxoM98I0Q)

You hear how the sound is just marginally delayed throughout the whole video?
Not by a dramatical margin, but enough to be noticeable and annoying.
Well that's exactly how NesTopia always behaves for me, I have even tried this emulator on several different computers and I always get the same crap.
Actually for me it is even worse, since the sound also tries to re-sync after a few seconds, and then immediately starts de-synching again.
And this isn't even an occasional thing, it happens literally every single time I try to play a game.
The strange thing is that it is considered "one of the best emulators out there", yet I keep getting this problem myself.
What the heck is going on?
I would greatly appreciate some help here.

Jowy
11-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Just use FCEUltra. Not much help with fixing your sound sync issue, but it's the NES emulator I've been using after Nesticle became outdated and I've never had any issues with the graphics or sound.

*Laurelindo*
11-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Just use FCEUltra. Not much help with fixing your sound sync issue, but it's the NES emulator I've been using after Nesticle became outdated and I've never had any issues with the graphics or sound.
Yeah, I have tried that emulator, but I seem to have problem with that one as well;
for some reason I always get a message like "DirectDraw: Error Setting Display Mode" or something everytime I try to open Full Screen.
Is there any way to fix that?

Jowy
11-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Check the "disable hardware acceleration" box and try it again.

*Laurelindo*
11-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks a lot, I'll try it tomorrow when I can use my own computer again.

*Laurelindo*
11-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Hm, I tried checking the "Disable Harware Acceleration" box but that didn't work, I still get that annoying DirectDraw Fail nonsense thrown at me and then the Full Screen instantly shuts down.
Is there something else I can do about this?

Jowy
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Hmm...tried to run it and while I wasn't getting an error it refused to fullscreen. Are you using a custom video mode or one of the pre-loaded ones?

*Laurelindo*
11-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Hey thanks for your effort, I highly appreciate it.

Actually I have tried all kinds of settings, but none of them seems to works properly.
I tend to use Custom though, but that doesn't work either.
My computer is four years old and is a Fujitsu Asus laptop, what settings would be most ideal for that?

Jowy
11-21-2012, 09:00 PM
FCEUX - Nintendo - NES Emulators - Zophar's Domain (http://www.zophar.net/nes/fceux.html)

Try installing that and see if it works, failing that:

http://www.zophar.net/nes/nintendulator.html

Haven't personally tried that, but it's on the top three.

Tigmafuzz
11-22-2012, 03:17 AM
The emulators I prefer sometimes have problems with certain ROMs, so I play them in VirtuaNES instead and everything always runs smoothly. NesTopia never runs fullscreen on my desktop and FCEUltra doesn't run fullscreen on the laptop. Also, try reinstalling DirectX maybe.

*Laurelindo*
03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Hm nope, I have tried everything I can think of but my computer obstinately refuses to work properly with NesTopia.
Not even FCEUX, Jnes, Nintendulator or Virtuanes work well enough, they always have too bright colours, ugly sounds or refuse to look good in Full Screen.
Bah, I'm getting so tired of this.

But anyway, the strange thing is that today I tested an old NesTopia emulator that I have on my mother's desktop computer from back before I moved away, and it turned out to work perfect.
No lag or anything at all, the sound worked totally fine and never fell behind and jumped back in sync over and over, like it always does on my computer.
What's even stranger is that she has a pretty old computer (Dell Dimension 5000, about ten years old I guess) and my Asus laptop is from 2008.

Maybe NesTopia simply works better on desktop computers?

Tigmafuzz
03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Maybe you need to run it in compatibility mode, or you just need to use an older version of the emulator on your computer. NesTopia doesn't work fullscreen on the desktop, but it's great for my laptop. Maybe you just have to randomly change a bunch of settings and hope something works :p

*Laurelindo*
03-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Maybe you need to run it in compatibility mode, or you just need to use an older version of the emulator on your computer. NesTopia doesn't work fullscreen on the desktop, but it's great for my laptop. Maybe you just have to randomly change a bunch of settings and hope something works :p
Yeah I have tried a lot of settings, but there is always that annoying lag present.
Actually there are occasions when there is no lag for a while, but it always comes back.
It must have something to do with the emulator itself because Zsnes is just as awesome as ever.

black orb
03-06-2013, 05:41 PM
>>> The old NES emulators are the best.. They ruined almost everything now with the new versions..:luca: