PDA

View Full Version : FFX in the national paper

TheSpoonyBard
11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
This is truly facepalm-worthy journalism. So many things are wrong I don't know where to start.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/th_DSC00554.jpg (http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/DSC00554.jpg)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/th_DSC00558.jpg (http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/DSC00558.jpg)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/th_DSC00559.jpg (http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/DSC00559.jpg)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/th_DSC00555.jpg (http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/DSC00555.jpg)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/th_DSC00556.jpg (http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/DSC00556.jpg)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/th_DSC00557.jpg (http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/DSC00557.jpg)

Mirage
11-18-2012, 04:38 PM
rofl

Elly
11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
is this like in "The Weekly World News" or something cause if its not a joke then these so called professionals are seriously stupid... i mean Jack Thompson levels of misunderstanding/misreprisenting the subject theyre talking about...

TheSpoonyBard
11-18-2012, 06:21 PM
It's not a joke. I couldn't believe it when I read it. I found it in The Sun, a popular daily tabloid.

Formalhaut
11-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I saw this too! It was crazy. Here I was just leafing through when Bam! Aeons appeared.

What I found interesting is that they kept referring them to demons, like this man was incredibly satanic and these drawings are insight into his twisted mind. When actually their just drawings of aeons, many fans of the series draw them.

Still, what the journalist who covered this story did next to no research. *sigh*.

Edit: More of my insight.

"But there's the odd human-like feature - such as an eye - that suggests they could be self-portraits of how Davies feels internally"

If that is true, then Davies is thinking he is an aeon. Interesting analysis there. Why didn't the journalist do any research? I saw no reference to Final Fantasy at all.

Edit (Again) : Were not the only ones who have seen the images and thought "what idiots".

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/article4649337.ece

blackmage_nuke
11-18-2012, 08:55 PM
When the article talks about self portraits and what he wants to be it made me think of silence of the lambs becuase the two aeons there are Females. (Would you summon me? I'd summon me)

Also they are amazingly well drawn, they look more like printouts of the originals.

Is the one in the middle meant to be Bahamaut?

TheSpoonyBard
11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
I think they're tracings. Yes, the middle one is Bahamut.

CimminyCricket
11-18-2012, 10:13 PM
This is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life. I expect this sort of thing from the Onion, not serious journalism.

Pete for President
11-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Crazy stuff, indeed facepalm worthy. Whenever serious business is being reduced to entertainment like this, I'm proud of the fact that I don't read papers, watch the news or anything.

The Man
11-19-2012, 09:15 AM
This is truly facepalm-worthy journalism.
Still, what the journalist who covered this story did next to no research. *sigh*.
This is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life. I expect this sort of thing from the Onion, not serious journalism.>implying that what The Sun practises is journalism

Seriously, the people at The Onion are in fact better journalists than Sun writers. Much better journalists.

Jiro
11-19-2012, 01:37 PM
While obviously the death of this girl is tragic, the way it has been handled here is hilariously bad. If those were free-hand drawings then he has some serious talent. Would've been better to use it instead of going mental on us.

Also it's probably better that the aeons are just referred to as "demons." Could you imagine if they knew what they were? "Final Fantasy creates killers." Man, the headlines would probably write themselves. Gaming would be the scapegoat again, and EoFF would be the breeding ground for a generation of axe murderers.

Mirage
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
That's why I want it to happen.

Night Fury
11-19-2012, 02:29 PM
This makes me hate Journalism, and being associated with it.

Formalhaut
11-19-2012, 05:26 PM

What do you do?

The Man
11-19-2012, 05:31 PM
This makes me hate Journalism, and being associated with it.Again: This article doesn't need to make you hate anything about journalism, because The Sun does not qualify as journalism. :monster:

Night Fury
11-19-2012, 05:57 PM

What do you do?

I'm a journalism Student, Formalhault.

And yeah, The Sun is a load of shit! As are most of the British dailies.

Laddy
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
As of five days ago, I am a Journalism student as well.

This article is rubbish.

Heath
11-19-2012, 07:53 PM

What do you do?

And yeah, The Sun is a load of trout! As are most of the British dailies.

I think readers of the Guardian, Daily Telegraph, Independent, and The Times, one of the oldest newspapers in the world, might object to that!

I can see the newspaper's point, as I think if you showed the man in the street they wouldn't recognise them, though they should really have done more research.

The Man
11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
To be fair, the Guardian, the Independent, the Telegraph, and the Times are only four of the British dailies, and Lockharted said "most of the British dailies" are trout, not all of them. A large number are a lot more like the Sun and the Daily Mail than they are the Grauniad or the Telegraph. :monster:

But yeah, I will agree those four you mentioned are indeed respectable.

Night Fury
11-19-2012, 10:15 PM

What do you do?

I think readers of the Guardian, Daily Telegraph, Independent, and The Times, one of the oldest newspapers in the world, might object to that!

I can see the newspaper's point, as I think if you showed the man in the street they wouldn't recognise them, though they should really have done more research.

I did not mean those, they are good newspapers. I just didn't feel like listing them in my post. I think the point I intended was made.

maybee
11-19-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree on the fact that it's good that the media believes that Seymour's Mum and Valefor are "demons " because Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy X are good games and it would be tragic for this series to get negative attention or get a bad view in the spotlight. It would become the new " Doom ". The media would do nothing to hound down the idea that Final Fantasy is evil and creates killers, or even supports Satanic worship because of the "demons "

Final Fantasy is a good series and deserves a good light and not a bad one. Final Fantasy X should be supported for the idea to freely believe in whatever you what to believe in, that wielding a weapon doesn't always equal strength, and that blind following gets you nowhere, also to never forget those who were in your life and made a impact and taught you lessons and gave you memories.

If this trout head destroys the Final Fantasy name I'll cry.

Also his purple bandanna around his head sort of looks like he admires Locke Cole. If he destroys Locke's name I'll cry even harder, maybe even see if I can meet this trout head in person and whack him one.

Heath
11-20-2012, 12:10 AM
I think I just didn't want us all tarred with the same brush, though you're right that our tabloids are horrendous.

I was thinking that I imagine that to many people over the age of 30, those images probably do look potentially disturbed out of context, as Anima is supposed to. I'd be interested to know what difference the context of those images would have to the appraisal of the ordinary reader.

Iceglow
11-20-2012, 01:41 AM
This is truly facepalm-worthy journalism.
This is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life. I expect this sort of thing from the Onion, not serious journalism.>implying that what The Sun practises is journalism

Seriously, the people at The Onion are in fact better journalists than Sun writers. Much better journalists.

You're implying that all journalism doesn't treat games like the creationists of axe murderers, car jackers or psychopathic loons?

I think you missed the main point there, it doesn't matter who the journalist is. I've never seen an article where a reclusive/deranged/psychopathic person who it is later discovered plays computer games not then have their broken and deranged minds blamed on the gaming. It doesn't matter if it's Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto or an FPS of some sort. Games get the rap for most things because it sells papers. "Deranged gamer murders people" it's fear mongering and of the worst kind because it's specifically designed to target parents and the older generation who don't understand computer games. Hopefully in 10 - 15 years when most of us are entering the target audience of papers we'll see less of this crap. However I somehow doubt it. Or it'll be something else new that people don't understand unless they grew up or took time to participate in it to find out more. Look at how metal and rock music have been targeted in similar ways. I don't think it was until Michael Moore (who is a piss poor journalist himself) attempted to make Marylin Manson look like an idiot by asking him to feature in the film he did about the Colombine shootings (I refuse to use the term disaster sorry it was a shooting, it's what happens when a gun can be readily obtained in a nation where ignorance is not considered criminally stupid) Funny how out of all the people, celebrities and politicians he had feature in there the only person who said "I'd not tell them anything, not say anything. I'd listen" was the man he set out to demonize further in the eyes of America.

What do you do?

I did not mean those, they are good newspapers. I just didn't feel like listing them in my post. I think the point I intended was made.

Again I can essentially refer back to my previous paragraph. Stories like this make me sick and unfortunately there isn't a newspaper in print today in the world I can think of that doesn't do the same piss poor journalism when it comes to Games and Rock Music. Telegraph, Independant, Times and Guardian included. If anything these papers are worse for it because they usually hold themselves to higher standards.

The Man
11-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Yeah, no, sensationalistic bullshit is not journalism, sorry, no matter what the source is. Lots of newspapers publish stuff that simply does not qualify as journalism. The Sun and the Daily Mail are possibly the two most heinous offenders, but they're far from the only ones. A journalist is at least marginally interested in writing the truth. The sensationalism shown by "news stories" like this one shows a wanton disregard for the truth. Calling this bullshit journalism is an insult to the people who actually practise it.

Night Fury
11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah, no, sensationalistic bulltrout is not journalism, sorry, no matter what the source is. Lots of newspapers publish stuff that simply does not qualify as journalism. The Sun and the Daily Mail are possibly the two most heinous offenders, but they're far from the only ones. A journalist is at least marginally interested in writing the truth. The sensationalism shown by "news stories" like this one shows a wanton disregard for the truth. Calling this bulltrout journalism is an insult to the people who actually practise it.

Not that I ever have, but I would never trust The Sun anymore, or anything from News International. Phone hacking scandal and all that?

Psychotic
11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
lmao the sun

lmao the guardian

Heath
11-20-2012, 07:51 PM
lmao the sun

lmao the guardian

Do you still get the Star?

Also I totally regret derailing this thread!

Raistlin
11-25-2012, 11:15 PM
*facepalm*

Although, as Aaron pointed out, this is the Sun we're talking about. That's not much above the Daily Mail, from what I know of British papers.

And I agree with Jiro; the predictable outcry against games would have just been ridiculous had the "journalist" actually done any research. "Final Fantasy causes murders!" Imagine if that sort of logic was applied consistently? "Reading history books causes violence!" "Riding bikes leads to violence!"

Crop
11-26-2012, 12:59 AM
*facepalm*

Although, as Aaron pointed out, this is the Sun we're talking about. That's not much above the Daily Mail, from what I know of British papers.

The only reason that The Sun are above the Daily Mail is because The Sun have some of the best puns ever.

http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/uk-life/pun-fun-with-the-sun-in-london.htm

The Man
11-26-2012, 01:05 AM
That link would be a lot more helpful if it weren't asking me to log in with my Facebook account to see all answers, which I refuse to do. Any chance you could post the rest of the puns here? :monster:

edit: oh, there's an option to sign up without a Facebook account. Still can't be bothered though; it's too much work to register an account at a site I'll probably never visit again just to read one thread.

Mirage
11-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Yeah, my facebook info is none of their business.

Crop
11-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Sorry about that, guys! Changed the link.

Jiro
11-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Calling this bulltrout journalism is an insult to the people who actually practise it.

It's a little bit depressing for people like me and Lockharted to be constantly met with the idea that all journalists are scumbags. It's simply not true. Also, consider that I have already experienced situations where falsehoods have been put into a story I've written and I have no recourse when the errors are discovered. The author, in this particular case, is not likely to have done enough research, but there is every chance the story was edited by the higher ups to try and create some more impact.

Raistlin
11-26-2012, 03:15 AM
I’m having a ball! - A woman bites off a man’s testicle during a fight.

... what. How? What.

Anyway, Jiro has a point in that editors are often the worst when it comes to ridiculously sensationalistic bullshit. At least in the realm of science and legal journalism, I've seen plenty of at least passable articles that are offset by a nonsensical headline that has nothing to do with anything but generating shock and interest.

Hollycat
11-26-2012, 03:23 AM
Sad about the girl and all, and I do hope that they don't try to turn this into the new doom when they figure it out, but you have to admit it is pretty funny that they messed up this bad.

DMKA
11-28-2012, 05:19 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm laughing pretty hard at the moment.

black orb
11-29-2012, 04:01 AM
>>> Cmon, Is this a joke?. LOL..

Nice drawings BTW, the psycho kid got some talent on him..:luca:

Depression Moon
11-29-2012, 04:55 AM
Looks like they didn't do any research... at least FF isn't getting blamed for it.