PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Would I Lie To You? Signups

Citizen Bleys
11-18-2012, 07:54 PM
The Eyes on Final Fantasy Events Committee Presents
Would I Lie To You?

Welcome to Would I Lie To You?, the game where fantastic facts and fatuous fabrications come together.

For those of you who are neither in the UK nor British-TV-watching anglophiles, the general idea is this: In each round, our players will be PM'd a statement to read out in-thread. It will either be a true fact provided by the player before the round starts, or a complete lie they've never seen before. It is then up to the player to defend their statement. The opposing team will then be given 24 hours to ask questions of the liar to determine whether their statement is fact or fiction. If they guess correctly, their team is given a point, if they guess incorrectly the statement-reader's team gets a point.

The game will be divided into 2 teams of 3, each with a team Captain who will be responsible for entering the deciding vote for their team. The Captain has the final decision--He (we'll use the male pronoun for now) can either take the advice of his team or overrule them like an idiot if either he's sure he's right or it would just be more entertaining.

An example of how the game is played on television:
zxPtccb51D8

As a regular player, you not only have to be able to lie convincingly when it's your turn on the hot seat, but you have to have a finely-honed bulltrout detector to determine when the other team is lying to you.

Unlike the television version, the Possession and This Is My segments are just not doable in a format, so there will be 5 rounds of quick-fire lies. In rounds 1, 2, 4, and 5, a team will be selected and each player on that team* will have to read a statement for their opponents to guess. In Round 3, the presenter (That's me) will read a statement and both teams will have to guess, with points being awarded for a correct guess, but no penalties delivered for an incorrect guess.

*On the show, it's one player per round, but we will have six players and four rounds of lies. In my version, nobody escapes the hotseat. Nobody.

In the event of a tie at the end of Round 5, the presenter will select a player at random to read a tie-breaker statement.

As the presenter, I will be the one deciding which statements are read. The team captains also have the option of submitting lies for their teammates; if the captains do so, the presenter must make a reasonable attempt to use those lies. Captains are not required to write lies--that's the presenter's job--to do so or not is part of their captainly strategy.

At the end of the game, the captain of the winning team becomes the presenter for the next round, and his two teammates become the captains for the next round; after round 1, I will send all of the true statements I've received from applicants to my successor presenter.

Rounds will continue until interest in the game wanes, at which point, at the EC's discretion, play will be suspended for a reasonable waiting period (say one year). The last presenter should record who their successor is and keep their list of true statements.

Presenters may choose to deliver the lies they've written to their successor or not, at their own discretion.

The Events Committee has been kind enough to provide us with our initial captains:

In one corner, we have Jiro, the Master of Mendacity
Opposing him will be Rantz, the Baron of Bulltrout

How to Apply

Simply PM me with five true statements about yourself before December 5. I will choose the 4 players with the best (read: most likely to be entertaining in a live game) true statements and tell the team captains who will be playing. The team captains then PM me back with who they want on their team. If I can oblige them, I shall, but if both captains ask for a given player, I assign that player to a team at random.

Now, in Round One, I will be the one making up lies, but remember that in future rounds, the true statements you provided will be delivered to the next presenter, so you may be selected to play with a presenter who will write totally different lies for you.

Play begins December 13th; by that time the massive amount of activity that's been going on lately at EoFF should have abated somewhat. It also gives you all lots of time to think of 5 interesting true statements about yourself--a lot more time than I'm giving myself to come up with convincing lies. Also, even if you don't make the cut for Round 1, your answers will be retained for future rounds, so don't hesitate to apply.

If you think of a good true statement after applying, just PM the current presenter (right now that's me, remember) with your new statement and which previous one you want it to replace.

I think I've covered everything I said to the EC, but I could be mistaken and an EC member can feel free to chip in. I'm also available to answer questions about the game in this thread.

If you're planning to apply, I'd also like you to post that you're doing so in this thread so that other players have an idea of who they'll be up against. In fact, for this round I'm going to make it a requirement. PMs from applicants who have not posted their candidacy in this thread will be disregarded. Future presenters do not have to follow this rule.

There are no secret rules or anything that the EC saw that aren't being revealed here, so all forum members of any stripe are eligible to play.

Jiro
11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
You just know this charming face can hold a lie. Rantzy pants is going downtown.

Formalhaut
11-19-2012, 12:22 AM
I love the UK programme! Of course I'll sign up. Once I think of a few things. I'll PM you tomorrow Bleys!

Goldenboko
11-19-2012, 12:35 AM
##signup

Citizen Bleys
11-19-2012, 12:42 AM
There's lots of time, but the sooner you get your true statments in, the more time I have to construct believable lies based on the true statements.

I strongly believe the game is more entertaining if the lies are believable -- makes it easier for the person on the hot seat, but it makes it harder for the three people who have to decide if it's true or not.

I do have one lie written for Rantz, but I'll wait on the true statements before I do any more.

Jinx
11-19-2012, 01:36 AM
How detailed should the lies be?

Citizen Bleys
11-19-2012, 01:42 AM
You don't write the lies, I do. You need five true statements, which ideally should not be very detailed at all -- the detail is added when answering the opposing team's questions.

The fun of the game is that when you're asked to lie, it's a lie you've never seen before and you have to think quick to come up with a plausible deception.

DK
11-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Would I lie to you is a comical show and I enjoy it, therefore I would quite like to play this game. Sign me up please.

Jinx
11-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Oops, sorry, I meant truths, not lies.

Yeah, I'll do it. I'll have my truths in by tonight. :)

Citizen Bleys
11-19-2012, 03:42 AM
I should add that I'll be PMing the lines to each hotseat contestant, and they'll have to post it verbatim in quote tags, but they do not have to wait for questions before adding to it. You can start lying immediately.

Really, when you're in the hotseat you can say whatever the hell you want under any circumstance. I may throw in the occasional indefensible stinker just for fun, so while you're thinking of true statements, remember that you can relate a true but horribly unplausible event in order to make the opposing team think that you've pulled one of my horseshits.

Mercen-X
11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
I've announced me candidacy. I'm relatively sure there are some things I still haven't told people. Shall you never the truth...

Loony BoB
11-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I would totally play this if it wasn't for my big mouth revealing all my amusing truths on the internet already. I'll be a happy spectator of this, though. I love the show. =]

Citizen Bleys
11-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Update: I've received true statements from 3 contestants so far, not including the team captains, and I've written lies for all of them. At least one of those three is guaranteed a spot in the first game because one of their true statements is more awesome than an army of bears made of fire and I really really hope it comes up. (I'm going to be using random.org though so it might not)

Remember that having 4 contestants signed up does not mean that signups are closed, we are hoping for more games after the first--otherwise Jiro and Rantz don't have the coveted presenter role to try for :)

EDIT: Now have lies written for everyone but the captains; I can juggle the lies around a bit if they're too distinct from the true statements.

Citizen Bleys
11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
*RULE MODIFICATION* (double-posting so on one misses the rule-modification due to the thread being marked as read)

Want to play but don't have 5 interesting facts? Sign up anyways. Anyone who signs up in this thread is eligible to be chosen for Game One. If I don't have 5 true statements from you, I will fill in the blanks with more of my lies. I will from this point onwards not be identifying anyone I'm waiting on true statements from, so the opposing team will not know if you've sent in 5 truths or not.
Got nothing? You get five lies. Only have one interesting fact? You get four lies. Hop on in, people.

I'll be picking the 4 contestants on December 5th so that Jiro and Rantz have a fair opportunity to express preferences for team members, but you still have up until one second before the game starts to submit true statements, if desired.

Also, (and I'm not sure if I mentioned this here or only in the EC thread), I'm scrapping the "definitely use a truth" notion -- each player will be in the hotseat twice, so I'm not going to let the opposition infer truth or lie by process of elimination.

Quindiana Jones
11-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Sign up sent! WILTY is a great show, and I've always wanted to play it! Looking forward to hearing the various truths and, in particular, the hilarious lies you make up, Bleys.

Citizen Bleys
11-21-2012, 10:37 PM
It's still possible to make Round One -- I've decided on two definite contestants (One for an awesome truth, the other for one that sounds *exactly* like a lie I'd make up); if I had to decide on the other two right now, I'd use random.org.

DK
11-21-2012, 10:39 PM
oh god :colbert: don't let arthur play he'll ruin it

Citizen Bleys
11-21-2012, 10:44 PM
He's that good, is he?

DK
11-21-2012, 10:47 PM
No, he'll just spend the majority of the time whistling various movie themes and trying to guilt everyone into playing crysis 2.

Citizen Bleys
11-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Well, there's still over a fortnight for people to sign up/send in missing truth statements in order to take random.org out of the equation :)

Jiro
11-26-2012, 02:45 AM
I forgot to ask: do you require truths from me, Bleys? Also, did you want me to try and craft some elaborate lies, or would you prefer to be in charge of that? :D

Citizen Bleys
11-26-2012, 03:03 AM
I need 5 true statements from you and Rantz; if I have 4 or fewer from each of you as of one second before the start of Game 1, I will fill in the missing statements with lies of my own. So, basically, same rules as any player.

If you want to craft some lies to be put in play, you'll have to wait until teams are set -- you'll have from team selection to game start to write lies of your own, and I'll toss them into said team member's truth/lie matrix.

I haven't decided yet if I'll be sending the captains their team members' truth/lie matrix. On the one hand it would make it easier for you to decide if you want to override my lies, but on the other hand the game will be more fun for the captains if they don't know what's coming.

EDIT: I don't have enough spare lies to fill in half of the blank spots in the matrices at the moment, but there is still lots of time for me to come up with new ones, or those who haven't sent truths to do so. For all I know all of them want to use my lies instead of true statements of their own

Mercen-X
11-26-2012, 03:20 AM
You say rounds will continue until interest wanes. What if it doesn't?

Citizen Bleys
11-26-2012, 03:49 AM
Great

I want to play.

That's why I don't want to piss any of the players off; someone who goes MIA when they're in the hotseat, or an absentee captain, is the best way to wreck the game so people stop caring before I have a chance to sub in.

As an added incentive, only the basic rules of the game are set in stone -- future presenters can tweak to their heart's content. If you win presenter, you can run it any way you want, even if you want to have the same person in the hotseat more than twice, or have a set of rules that doesn't guarantee that everyone gets their chance in the hotseat. Those are the worst ideas I can think of, but they're fair game if I get a presenter who wants to kill the game before I can sub in ;)

Whoever presents Game 2 will inherit all of my unused lies, but I'm not going to complain if future presenters don't continue this trend.

Raistlin
11-26-2012, 04:10 AM
I'll sign up! Working on my truths now.

Citizen Bleys
11-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Mognet messaging seems bugged at the moment, so if you've sent me any truths since yesterday and not received a reply, chances are I did not get them.

I know it's not me, because I got one message from BoB in triplicate and I think I responded to it seven or eight times with the refresh button.

Heath
11-28-2012, 04:12 AM
This sounds like great fun, and if it's anything like the TV series it'll he hilarious. I think it will be a great event to hold.

Citizen Bleys
11-28-2012, 04:44 AM
It's definitely going to be funny; I just hope my lies are as good as some of the true statements I've been sent.

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Double-posting to update: contestants have been selected and PMs sent out to those who were chosen to play; Once they reply back to confirm, I'll be sending the player list to the team captains so they can express any preferences they may have for team members.

Neither of the players who were selected for their excellent true statements have withdrawn their statements and asked to use my lies instead, so I think we're up for a good game. Will update again when teams are set.

Anybody still wanting to sign up can still send their entries to me until Game 1 is over -- I'll be sending everything I've got except for the true statements of eliminated players to the winner of Game 1 so they can present the next game. The only advantage to waiting until the end of Game 1 to sign up is that your lies would be written by either Jiro or Rantz instead of me, and they might not choose to use any of my unused lies anyways.

Confirmed: 4/4 - sending player list to the captains

EDIT: I just realised that I inadvertently started off a game about lying by lying to half of the contestants; 2 were chosen based on their true statements, but since I copy/pasted the selection messages, I told everyone they were chosen by random.org.

escobert
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
My entire life is a lie! I could be good at this! :bigsmile: well fine then! I guess I'm too late (and probably woulda forgotten anyways :p )

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
You're not too late, I'm hoping for many, many subsequent games. I still have info on 3 players who didn't get into game 1, and we need 4 new players per game. So yeah, I still want more signups.

((Unusued true statements from players eliminated will be deleted before I send my data onto the next presenter so that those who have fun can re-use those statements in future games without worrying about an opponent being an ex-presenter who already knows their A material))

NeoCracker
12-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I'll sign up, I fucking love that show. Mitchell is the best.

And I'll re-read the first post to remind myself of how to sign up else I do something fucking stupid. :p

Red Mage Coffman
12-05-2012, 05:59 PM
So we CAN still sign up? Cause I kinda wanna.

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Aye, right now we have enough signups to run a second game, but not a third, and if there's no third game, what reward does the captain of the winning team in game 2 get?

NeoCracker
12-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Well if we stick to the shows formula, self Gratification. :p

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I think control over the rules for the next game is a better incentive :)

Citizen Bleys
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
As promised, bumping again now that teams are set even though it means double-posting again. All players have also been notified via private messaging

Team Jiro
Jiro
Mercen-X
Formalhaut

Team Rantz
Rantz
Tifa's Boobs
Raistlin

Quindiana Jones
12-07-2012, 12:44 PM
How about this: I will personally congratulate the winning team through Visitor Message. Pretty good, huh?!

Jiro
12-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I look forward to seeing your congratulations then. Because my team is the best team.

Jinx
12-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I look forward to seeing your congratulations then. Because my team is the best team.

Fuck that.

Goldenboko
12-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Now what happens?

Citizen Bleys
12-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Now the players have until the 13th to read up on their opponents as much as they care to, or change their true statements if desired.

I don't think it's a good idea to start early with Ciddies weekend coming up.

Goldenboko
12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
smart. :thumb:

Formalhaut
12-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm really excited for it! Though having to read up on Rantz, Raistlin and Tifa's Boobs will be pretty difficult!

Mercen-X
12-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I still don't understand the process, really. I have no idea what to look for. I tried starting with Tifa's Boobs... but I found I couldn't pull my eyes away. *giggity*

Arizona Lively
12-08-2012, 07:11 PM
What is this? -_^

Citizen Bleys
12-08-2012, 07:53 PM
What is this? -_^

Explained in the original post. Here's another example though:

IpTnwzt9kUc