PDA

View Full Version : Terraria, or Minecraft for Hipsters.

Quindiana Jones
11-19-2012, 10:55 PM
So, I finally got myself a laptop that isn't steaming pile of dung, and it can play a game! :jess:

That game is Terraria, a 2D build-'em-up that is surprisingly different to Minecraft. It has a lot more of a focus, and it's quite a bit more linear to Minecraft (in as much as a giant, sprawling world existing solely for exploration and discovery can be linear, that is). I'm currently building my third house. My first was the typical "oh shit, night is scary" three floor affair. Nothing special. My second however...well. I won't say it's a work of art, but it seamlessly blends function and form in such a way as to transcend the very nature of both. :smug:

The second, a seven storey behemoth, houses my NPCs, with room for extras. I also use the attic for storage. It's completely impervious to goblin and blood moon invasions, and has a big underground tunnel connecting it to various amenities in the surrounding area. In one direction, the tunnel will take you underneath the lava trap and out into the world for exploration and harvesting. The other way takes you past my obsidian generator and towards my Hellevator. On the way down my Hellevator, you'll find my crafting station, which can create everything in the non-hardmode game, all from one spot! :D

I'm now in the process of building my own house, away from the NPCs, on top of my generator. I had to destroy an entire floating island to make room for my observatory. :radred:

Anyway. Enough about my world. Do any of you lot play Terraria? If not, I strongly advise you give it a shot. It can be a little daunting at first when you have no sense of purpose and are just looking around in the hopes of finding anything, but once you find your purpose, it's really fun! To those who do play, fancy some multiplayer? :greenie:

Pike
11-20-2012, 01:50 AM
I played this game a lot way back when it first came out. Then one day it got buggy or something and I couldn't load it anymore, and I couldn't be bothered to fix it. So yeah it's been a while. Fun little game, though!

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2012, 03:07 AM
They may have patched it by now, Pike! Get back on that horse! :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-24-2012, 05:35 PM
I just bought it for under 4 bucks. So far I have a house and too scared to leave it because of zombies and flying eyeballs at night. :(

Jowy
11-27-2012, 10:48 PM
man up!

don't try and fight the zombies with a wooden sword, that's just asking to get your face chewed off. keep digging until you find some iron/silver to make a proper weapon with. focus on a set of copper armour and tools as well. avoid the purple ground until you're outfitted with some decent equipment and have some dynamite on hand. don't walk around with too much money - the thirty five gold for the Megashark is worth every penny.

quin! i need to set aside some time this weekend for us to go digging.

Quindiana Jones
11-28-2012, 08:22 AM
I actually used Iron equipment and Copper armour until I found Gold. I didn't think it was worth upgrading until then, haha. Made some boss fights harder than they needed to be. Am now rocking Shadow Armour and the Muramasa. Nothing can get close to me! :D

Yes, indeed we do, sir. What timezone you in?

Jowy
11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
GMT -5!

Before I wound up getting bored I finally snagged a Night's Edge and switching to Magic Missile when situational. Think I'm using the speedy demon armour too but I could be wrong. Also killed Eye of Cthulhu about five times in one evening cycle just by rolling with necro armour + minishark + meteor shot and just watching him explode in forty seconds.

Quindiana Jones
11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Hot damn, that's awesome! xD

I'll look into when I'm free this weekend. Do you have tConfig?

Jowy
11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
no sir, but i'll be sure to have it downloaded.

Shorty
11-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Eric has been bugging me to play this game but now that I know it's essentially Minecraft, I don't think I have much interest :colbert:

Quindiana Jones
11-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Only fools and Englishmen go out in the midday sun, and only idiots and Sarah refuse to play Terraria*. :doublecolbert:

*Genuinely started typing Minecraft there. :/

Jowy
11-28-2012, 10:04 PM
unlike minecraft, terraria is actually fun.

you get fun weapons such as lightsabers and magic harps!

Tigmafuzz
11-29-2012, 12:18 AM
I wasted a lot of time on Terraria when I first played it, and then went back to Minecraft because there were new things coming out that I wanted to try. Plus then I got distracted by A Valley Without Wind, and that was really challenging and made me want to beat it more, and eventually I just completely forgot about Terraria. I don't think I even know what folder it's in :(

Sephex
11-29-2012, 01:14 AM
I have it because I heard about the similarity to Minecraft, which I enjoy. Still have not played it. I hate being an adult with a backlog of games.