PDA

View Full Version : Wii U

Evastio
11-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Before I start this thread, I just want to say let's try to avoid having this thread turn into a console war. Saying things like "there aren't any Wii U games that interest me yet" or "I probably won't pick one up, since I'm not a Nintendo fan," is alright. Things like "this is going to be another Dreamcast scenario," "Nintendo keeps going downhill," or "The Wii U is already failing miserably" however, won't be. Let's all try to keep an open mind and be optimistic about Nintendo's new console. Even Sony is being nice and optimistic about it (http://mynintendonews.com/2012/11/17/sony-executive-i-wish-nintendo-a-lot-of-success-with-wii-u/), and they're one of Nintendo's top competitors. I'll admit myself that the console has some flaws like slow loading times, but compared to all the new features the Wii U has that no other console does, that's nothing. Anyways...

Has anyone gottena Wii U yet? If not, do you plan on getting one later on?

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/black_wii_u_gamepad.jpg?w=625

I got mine yesterday. I got lucky on my first store visit and got one from Future Shop. I couldn't help but feel bad getting one knowing that so many people are wanting a Wii U and I kind of took one away from them. The Future Shop lady was really nice and said I shouldn't worry about that. I talked to this guy at Future Shop that said that he checked Wal-Mart (which was all sold out), Toys R Us (which only had Wii U's to satisfy pre-orders, and even then there weren't enough), and Superstore (which didn't even have any yet). When he asked for a Wii U, the lady said she'd check but she couldn't guarantee that she could get him one (they only had 14 "on-shelf" Wii U's).

Anyways, the console itself is just slightly larger than the Wii. With both consoles standing up, they're about the same height (but that's because the Wii's stand gives it ~1.5 inches in height) while lengthwise the Wii U is ~2 inches longer. This is taking into account the Wii's front and not the whole console since on its stand the Wii is tilted so the front is higher than the back. The Gamepad is lighter than expected, like a lot of other people said. The span of the Gamepad is pretty big and feels kind of awkward at first, but you get used it it after the first 10-15 minutes. The interface and menus for the Wii U is really easy to use and navigating menus and typing in text/passwords with the touchscreen is really easy and straightforward.

As for the games, I got New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, and Scribblenauts Unlimited. I know most people think Nintendo has gone overboard with NSMB, but seeing how they've only released one New Super Mario Bros. game per console (like Mario Kart, which most people don't complain about and in fact people expect), I wouldn't go complaining yet.

Anyways, the level design has actually changed quite a bit and is much more involving and chaotic than past NSMB games, especially with the enemy density and a majority of levels being really dynamic with platforms and floors shifting a lot more than in past installments. Although this sounds like it makes multiplayer bad, they balance it out quite well by providing plenty of power ups and 1UPs to counteract damage taken and lives lost (way more than past NSMB games, but given the hecticness of the levels, it's understandable). The Wii U Gamepad's boost mode isn't just a gimmick, it's really involving for the Gamepad player, giving them roles like stopping enemies from raining down spike balls on players (which saved my brothers and I from a world of pain), saving players from falling into pits (which happens quite often due to the chaoticness of the levels as I mentioned before), and getting hard to reach 3UP moons, which will only show up if you have a Gamepad player using boost mode effectively. Yeah, the general formula is the same as NSMB games, but the level design that jampacks the levels with enemies, powerups, and secrets, never leaving a dull moment which makes this Mario installment feel quite fresh.

Nintendo Land, I've only played three of the minigames: Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion, and Pikmin Adventure. Mario Chase is really simple, yet really fun. A lot of people say that, I know, but you won't know what I mean until you've played it. All the screaming and excitement that you get when the Mario Mii is in your sight and you're chasing him down, all the planning that happens after the Mario Mii escapes, the thrill of finding the Mario Mii and homing in on him, it's so much fun. Luigi's Mansion is also riduculously fun, especially when the mansion explorers start to get picked off by the ghost. It gets so much more thrilling and exciting since you can revive picked off people, but it costs you flashlight power which leaves you vulnerable for the ghost. The aforementioned screaming and excitement feeling also applies to Luigi's Mansion, but it's more of a strategical excitement than a action excitement. Pikmin Adventure, I only tried the first co-op level (and a competitive match), so I can't accurately judge. It was kind of fun, but not as fun as the other two aforementioned games.

Scribblenauts Unlimited I only did the firehouse and museum levels. It's as fun as the DS version, but I can't really accurately judge since I only did two levels (and I didn't even use the Object Creator, the game's main attraction). All I can say is, if you're aiming for Starrites, don't let other players take control of dangerous created objects. Even creating a bug for my siblings to play as backfired on me when one of my younger brothers killed a fireman with the bug. Though I'll admit, it was kind of fun seeing my brothers wreak chaos as objects like wrenches (as in, my brother was the wrench), campfires, speakers, crickets, crates, and the like. Pillows seem to be the only safe object that you can't kill people with so far.

I briefly went on the Miiverse, and I have to say, seeing what casual gamers have to say about other games is really nice and enjoyable. Although many people see the heavy moderation of the Miiverse as a bad thing, I think it's really great. In a world where you can't go to any online community without flaming, game/game company/game series bashing, opinion bashing, and the like, it's really nice to have at least one online community that's free of all that. I only checked comments about New Super Mario Bros. U, and all of them were clean, optimistic, and in no way could offend anyone. It was an extremely nice change of pace from what I've come to expect from every online community.

Overall, I have to say the Wii U is pretty amazing and it really does give a whole new gaming experience with the Wii U Gamepad.

Aulayna
11-20-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the nice write-up ^^

I want one but right now the launch titles scream "rush out and buy it now" to me.

I'll likely leave it until mid next year when we're likely to see the first set of price drops or title bundles and hopefully a few new titles will have been released or nearing release. :)

Del Murder
11-20-2012, 03:39 AM
I love all Mario platform games so I may eventually get one of these just to play that and any new Zeldas. But that won't be for a while since I have a ton of games to play right now. I hope the gamepad isn't just a gimmick thing and it's actually fun to use.

Rostum
11-20-2012, 03:42 AM
I recently lost my Wii, so eventually I'll probably get one so long as I can play Wii games and possibly Gamecube games? Even so, I generally like Nintendo so I'll get it. :)

Flaming Ice
11-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Waiting for a price drop, and better games.

Well, quite a few games they'll release I can get for my PS3 so they'll need some pretty good games..... (smash bros coming out and monster hunter)

A Mario game, and Pikmin 3 aren't draw-ins for me.

Hopefully they'll have another fire emblem and a good star fox game (that has more length like starfox adventure did)

Bolivar
11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
That's really interesting. I've always liked all the NSMB games and from what I hear this is actually a really special, new Mario game. Do you know if there's any interoperability with the 3DS? I was hoping the Wii would have it last time with the DS, which was an unknown factor that put me on the fence before making my purchase this generation.

I'm gonna try to keep the rest of this post within the first category you talked about, as I'm really surprised this thing is selling out at places. Given the waning popularity of the Wii and the average reception of the 3DS I didn't know if the non-gaming masses who put Nintendo on top with their previous console/handheld duo would be coming out again. Still, I am glad that they are because Nintendo is an awesome steward for raising the next generation of gamers, and we should always celebrate devs and manufacturers for trying new things, and from what the OP said, they did just that with the gamepad.

At the same time, I'm curious if they can maintain a hardcore player base, which is what has really allowed Microsoft and Sony to thrive longer in the console cycle. I just don't understand why you would buy one if you have a PS3 or a 360. Now is also an amazing and affordable time to get into PC gaming, it's such a blissful scene, not only as a player, but as a customer and a user. We all know real next-generation consoles are on the horizon, and I just don't know how Nintendo can survive when their box becomes "last-gen tech" again after only one year on the market.

I hope that doesn't happen, because, again, I want Nintendo to succeed, I wouldn't want to imagine a video game ecosystem without them. I really like how they've made a stand that it doesn't have to be about graphics, you can innovate in different ways, but as a gamer I would like to see that innovation result in more meaningful experiences. I'm probably getting a 3DS soon, as I finally got my hands on a demo Vita and I just don't think it's viable as the console-class interface they were going for. So I'd really like to see Nintendo step it up from what we've had with the Wii and the DS, and if they bring a little interoperability along with that, then hey, I might just have to accept the paradox and buy myself a Wii U.

Flaming Ice
11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
That's really interesting. I've always liked all the NSMB games and from what I hear this is actually a really special, new Mario game. Do you know if there's any interoperability with the 3DS? I was hoping the Wii would have it last time with the DS, which was an unknown factor that put me on the fence before making my purchase this generation.

At least one game (monster hunter) can be played with a 3ds and wii u when it comes out.

Formalhaut
11-20-2012, 06:20 PM
I'll probably get it at the price drop. It seems nice, but is it a purchase worth my (non-existent) money? Maybe not.

Wolf Kanno
11-20-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm definitely waiting for the line-up to improve and likely a price drop, but other than that, I have not been paying too much attention to this like I should. I actually like the new controller and see it working out as a pretty innovative tool. It's very reminiscent of the Gamecube/GBA connectivity idea from back in the day which I really liked. I'm hoping to get a true sequel to Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Zelda Four Swords with this setup but time will tell.

I hope Nintendo the best and I'm happy to hear the system seems to be doing pretty well so far.

Mirage
11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Make a Xenoblade 2 for it and the console will sell like holycrap.

Wolf Kanno
11-20-2012, 10:53 PM

Hell an HD remake with a few extras (like playing as Prologue Dunban) of Xenoblade might be enough for some of us. :D

Evastio
11-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the nice write-up ^^
No problem. It's good to hear people reading through and appreciating my long posts (that particular one took 1-1 1/2 hours to write up).

I love all Mario platform games so I may eventually get one of these just to play that and any new Zeldas. But that won't be for a while since I have a ton of games to play right now. I hope the gamepad isn't just a gimmick thing and it's actually fun to use.
For some games, I'll admit that the Gamepad may be gimmicky to some people (I can understand people thinking Boost Mode for New Super Mario Bros. U is a gimmick, but you can't say that yourself until you've tried out boost mode and realize how much impact the Boost Mode player makes and how involving Boost Mode is), but for games that revolve around the Gamepad like Nintendo Land and Scribblenauts Unlimited, it's far from a gimmick seeing how the way you use the Gamepad practically defines the gameplay those games have. Well, for the Nintendo Land games I've played so far anyways. Also, as a whole, the Wii U Gamepad makes menu navigation and game control really easy and convenient (especially in Scribblenauts with item typing and placement).

I recently lost my Wii, so eventually I'll probably get one so long as I can play Wii games and possibly Gamecube games? Even so, I generally like Nintendo so I'll get it. :)
The Wii U isn't backwards compatible with the Gamecube. Though Nintendo has mentioned that they're heavily considering having Gamecube games for their Wii U Virtual Console.

New Super Mario Bros. U has added quite a few new elements to the series, such as Boost Mode which I explained, Miiverse interaction, and Challenge Mode. I haven't tried out Challenge Mode too much yet, but I'm really liking the variety of challenges that they offer (getting no coins, not hurting enemies, bringing enemies to the end of the level without killing them, fireball evasion endurance sessions) and how they create levels specifically for Challenge Mode instead of always taking levels from the main game. And although I haven't seen it or tried it out yet, you can supposedly also make your own challenges and share them online.

Sorry, there's no NSMB2 and NSMBU link up functionality of any sort. Though I have heard that they're planning downloadable content for New Super Mario Bros. U.

Depression Moon
11-21-2012, 01:15 AM
I don't have the money plain and simple and most likely won't ever be getting it. I still need to replace my old PS2 and I was planning on getting a DS since it's been so long since I've owned a handheld. The launch line-up dopes look strong compared to the last couple of generations.

Sephex
11-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I got it on launch day and the game pad works better than I would have thought. I wrote up my thoughts on a yet to be published article, so I don't feel like getting into it at the moment, but long story short I am satisfied with the console!

Flaming Ice
11-21-2012, 05:38 AM

!0 years after it comes out in Japan......:)

Balzac
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm waiting to get one, I still have a billion 360 and PS3 games to get through. Also I read that the first update was bricking many consoles. Not a good start if it is. :P

Old Manus
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm surprised that people are buying these things so early after what's happening to the PS Vita and other assorted handhelds.

Mirage
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
What's happening to the Vita?

Flaming Ice
11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
What's happening to the Vita?

Probably means peoples' complaint about the lack of good games.

And quite a few of the games are just old classics, nothing new.

Old Manus
11-21-2012, 05:46 PM
What's happening to the Vita?Not much, apparently.

Levian
11-21-2012, 10:03 PM
The boyfriend is quite keen on buying one together and getting New Super Mario Bros as well, so that might happen sooner rather than later.

If not for that, I'd be waiting for a bigger line up of games.

Evastio
11-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Anyways, more about my impressions. I will say that I feel Nintendo Land has significantly more staying power than Wii Sports. Although quite a few people stopped playing Wii Sports soon after you got it, some of the multiplayer games like Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing Sweet Day are really addicting and you'll find yourself going back to them a lot when playing with friends at your house (I can't say much about Metroid Blast and Zelda Battle Quest since I don't have enough Wii Motion Plus controllers for a full team of players. Pikmin Adventure I can see wearing thin for quite a few people after adventure mode is completed, though I haven't touched it since launch day). I had a friend from university come over yesterday and although my brothers and I had more experience than him with the multiplayer games, it was hardly disadvantageous towards him since the games were quite easy to pick up and learn. We also found it quite hard to switch between Nintendo Land multiplayer games since we were always so into the one we were currently playing. I wouldn't say the single player games have the same staying power as the multiplayer games after they are completed to the end (though they are rather addicting). I haven't defeated any of them yet, but failing them constantly makes me want to keep trying again repeatedly. Especially Captain Falcon's Twisted Race (I have no idea what the trick is to staying on the track after big ramps, sometimes I stay straight, other times I fly off the course even when I'm going straight). Captain Falcon's Twisted Race is pretty intense and exciting, even if you aren't an F-Zero fan. The obstacles later down the road get really fatal (some will kill you outright while others will slow you down and stop you from reaching the checkpoint in time). The second half of the race gets really difficult, and the farthest I've gotten so far is section 12 (the last one). Balloon Fight was quite simple to control, though the spikes in the air and the winds that you fight against prove to be quite challenging in later levels (especially in the part where the wind forces you to the left and unless you fight against the wind strong enough you'll hit whatever obstacles first show up from the left). Donkey Kong's Crash Course is brutal since the kart is quite frail and you need to be reallly gentle with it while moving, yet some parts force you to go really fast to make big jumps. I only made it to the second analog stick rotation part (after the swirly gate) before losing all my lives.

New Super Mario Bros. U, I've gotten farther in (mid-world 5) and quite a few of the level backgrounds I've seen are just absolutely stunning. Some of the brand new backdrops I've seen range from foggy brambled forests to ship graveyards. The new take on areas like crystalline ice caverns, haunted houses with moonlight shining through the windows, and flowing lava caves is also really vibrant and beautiful. There's also the ones that they've shown in previews like the starry snowy sky, the Van Gough painted swamp, and the gorgeous waterfall background which you just have to see for yourself firsthand. The level design gets even more chaotic and hectic with the levels keeping you on the move a lot (a combination of both enemy density forcing you to keep moving and floors and platforms shifting on you a lot). Enemy density gets even more ridiculous with at least 5 enemies on the screen at any given time in quite a few sections (if they happen to be Mega Urchins, Torpedo Teds, or Flying Cheep Cheeps, you're in for a world of pain). The Haunted House puzzles have also been stepped up quite a bit (nothing that'll get you stuck on the level for days, but growing up on Super Mario World, I'm kind of embarassed that some of these puzzles I'm figuring out slower than I should be). Some of the bosses have changed significantly and it's no longer as simple as jumping on them ASAP (Morton Jr. summons and hits Giant Pokey parts towards you and you have to evade them and wait till Pokey is short enough before you jump on Morton, Bowser Jr. fights you underwater and you have to have him hit himself with his own Tracking Torpedo Teds). Challenge Mode I've tried further in depth and I think there's around 10-15 Challenges per category (and there's 5 total: time, coin, 1UP, misc, and boost mode). I haven't unlocked all of them for any category so I don't know about the upper cap, but boost mode already has more than 10 and I've done at least seven of them. Challenge Mode so far is a lot of fun (and frustration, but in an addicting way). The challenges are also really unique, especially the boost mode challenges (not to confused with Boost Rush with the automatic scrolling and coins speeding up the scrolling), where it's absolutely mandatory that boost mode is used to complete them since most of the challenges have no floor, and the ones that do you still cannot complete without boost mode platforms. The boost mode player definitely plays a much bigger role than the Mario player in the challenges, since it's the boost mode player that has to be quick and strategic in the challenges. That's the challenge mode I played the most extensively yesterday, so I guess I'll wait until I played more from the other four categories before I go in depth on them (and I already explained some of those challenges in my first post).