PDA

View Full Version : Words You Misspell

Laddy
11-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Are there any words you misspell a lot despite being generally good at spelling?

I misspell obsolete, mostly due to the Southern accent pronouncing the o like a short i. :mad:

Denmark
11-21-2012, 04:00 AM
No.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-21-2012, 09:43 AM
I actively try to avoid misspelling words, so I think I have a pretty good track record. The bigger issue for me is trying to figure out whether or not I use proper sentence structure.

In the past I've had trouble misspelling the word misspell, ironically.

Chris
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
I still have trouble with the correct use of "has" and "have". :(

Faris
11-21-2012, 11:52 AM
All of them.

Mirage
11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't misspell words, unless it is a word I actually do not know how is spelled, like if I have never seen it used before.

Well, there's also instances of me hitting the wrong keys on my keyboard, but that's a whole different thing.

Balzac
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't generally misspell words unless I'm typing too fast and not paying attention. I more have a problem with spelling words correctly and then thinking it was misspelled so I have to check it, one such word is "home". It never looks right.

Polnareff
11-21-2012, 12:50 PM
I have hyperlexia, so I've never had this problem. :cool:

It also came in handy with spelling bees.

Iceglow
11-21-2012, 01:03 PM
I tend to get convenience wrong most of the time, ironic since it's a word I have to type in some form or variation daily.

Yar
11-21-2012, 01:49 PM
I mis-type .com as .cok a lot. I think it's some Freudian fuckery going on in my head.

Jinx
11-21-2012, 02:50 PM
separate

I always put seperate. I hate it. I HATE THAT WORD. :(

Futan
11-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Apparently misspell. Lol. Occasion, always put 2 S's, and also separate. :-/

Flaming Ice
11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
definitely ....usually there's an "a"there.....

Cuchulainn
11-21-2012, 04:48 PM
EVERY WORD EVER

Shorty
11-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Rantz has corrected me from spelling "arguement" to "argument".

Jinx
11-21-2012, 07:16 PM

No judgment. ;)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-21-2012, 09:11 PM
definitely ....usually there's an "a"there.....

Ah yes, this one for me as well.

Luckily when I'm using Google Chrome it's quick to put that red squiggly line under misspelled words.

TrollHunter
11-21-2012, 09:56 PM
I tend to misspell a lot of words... even words I use all the time.
I do have an interesting habit though. I'll spell a word properly but think it's wrong. Because of this i'll look up the correct spelling, and see that I got it completely right.
It's frickin' annoying.

Tigmafuzz
11-21-2012, 10:03 PM

No *judgement. ;)

:greenie:

I sometimes misspell words on purpose to see if people notice. If I'm not in that kind of mood though, I typically spell everything correctly without trying too hard. If I notice something is misspelled, I'll correct it quickly.

Polnareff
11-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Either spelling of "judgment/judgement" is acceptable. :jess:

TrollHunter
11-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Oh, I also suck at spelling the word "regular".
God, I keep wanting to put an 'e' where the 'a' is.

Tigmafuzz
11-22-2012, 12:39 AM

NO NO NO NO NO :nonono:

The e at the end of the verb "judge" stays there when you add -ment because it indicates that the g is a soft sound. It's the same with the word "changeable." Spelling it "judgment" would mean it could be interpreted as being phonetically pronounced jud-gə-mənt. (The upside-down e, or schwa, is pronounced like a cross between the short vowel sounds of e and i, or in other words, in-between the e in "tent" and the i in "mint")

:colbert:

Araciel
11-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Spelling?? Not really much of an issue. Typos yes... But I used to fuck up 'its' and 'it's'...so...yea

Agent Proto
11-22-2012, 12:41 AM
separate

I always put seperate. I hate it. I HATE THAT WORD. :(

Usually this. Thank goodness Firefox usually catches whenever I misspell a word. Though, whenever I do coding, I sometimes end up putting URK instead of URL :/

Tigmafuzz
11-22-2012, 12:47 AM
lol dem post times

http://i.imgur.com/OeuFf.png

Jiro
11-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Propagate. It's one of those words that seems like it is spelt wrong. I dunno. #trivia scramble has been hell for me with that one. There are other words that I commonly misspell but I can't think of them currently. Spelnig is hard, ya know.

Mercen-X
11-22-2012, 05:38 AM
I only ever experience typos. I spend too much time staring at a dictionary to ever possibly spell a word wrong.

Citizen Bleys
11-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Anything with more than one pair of double letters, and rabbit.

"Possesses" is probably the worst word in the English language.

TrollHunter
11-22-2012, 07:52 AM
"Possesses" is probably the worst word in the English language.

This is so true.... oh god, it's so true. :cry:

blackmage_nuke
11-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Sometimes I'll write "coulour" instead of colour and just stick with it

sparrow
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
i spell "can't" as "cand" but this is a typing problem mostly

Polnareff
11-22-2012, 12:39 PM

NO NO NO NO NO :nonono:

The e at the end of the verb "judge" stays there when you add -ment because it indicates that the g is a soft sound. It's the same with the word "changeable." Spelling it "judgment" would mean it could be interpreted as being phonetically pronounced jud-gə-mənt. (The upside-down e, or schwa, is pronounced like a cross between the short vowel sounds of e and i, or in other words, in-between the e in "tent" and the i in "mint")

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Even the dictionary notes that both spellings are acceptable. This is one of those rare words where you can actually lop off the letter at the end and still add the "-ment" suffix.

Something I forgot to mention is, the reason both spellings are correct is because in the US, the "judgment" spelling is actually the widely-used one (though you won't get faulted for spelling it with an "e"), whereas, say, in England, you can use either one, though both have slightly different meanings.

I would know this because I'm a huge language nerd.

Shorty
11-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Philip and I are arguing about the proper spelling of "yogurt".

Denmark
11-22-2012, 09:44 PM
there's no h because that's not how it's pronounced (i.e. it's spelled "yogurt"). argument solved

Jiro
11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Judgement is the correct spelling in all nations who still honour the one true Queen. Phonetics is hardly a source of evidence for how the English language should operate as well; have you seen how phonetics is spelt?

Tigmafuzz
11-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Something I forgot to mention is, the reason both spellings are correct is because in the US, the "judgment" spelling is actually the widely-used one (though you won't get faulted for spelling it with an "e"), whereas, say, in England, you can use either one, though both have slightly different meanings.

I would know this because I'm a huge language nerd.

NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN. If you were a language nerd, you would know the only reason that it's considered to be spelled correctly that way in the US is because Noah Webster didn't like "extraneous vowels" and cut some out, and Roosevelt ordered that his versions of words be used during the Spanish-American war to save ink supplies. I'm not going to conform to one man's opinion of how words should be spelt. I actually gave away a few dictionaries because they only included one version of spelling of some words, and they were wrong. I probably should've burned them to prevent other people from referring to them and getting their incorrectness all over the place.

:doublecolbert:

("Spelt" isn't included in firefox's dictionary? For shame, Mozilla.)

Judgement is the correct spelling in all nations who still honour the one true Queen. Phonetics is hardly a source of evidence for how the English language should operate as well; have you seen how phonetics is spelt?

I see nothing wrong with the phonetics of the word phonetics :confused:

Also, don't forget that a lot of words in English aren't just based on other languages (like the word phonetics :p), they're completely stolen from them. Like confetti, which is actually Italian for candy. Also "berserk" (Norse word meaning bear-shirt, used to describe Viking warriors like Rantz) and "assassin" (the name of a secret Arabic order of trained killers).

____

Regarding the yogurt/yoghurt thing, I don't think the original Turkish word had any definitive spelling, so both could be considered correct. I prefer yogurt though, because adding an h makes it look dumb.

Jiro
11-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Yoghurt is a great name because it, like ice cream, is consumed in great quantities when suffering emotion pain.

Raistlin
11-25-2012, 04:26 PM
The only reason "judgement" is now considered acceptable is because so many morons kept misspelling "judgment."

Also, "yogurt" is correct.

Chris
11-25-2012, 04:36 PM
From my thread last year:

It can actually be spelled both "yoghurt" and "yogurt". I gather that the latter is the most commenly used in the United States? "Yoghourt" is actually a third alternative, and many fuse the two and spell it "Yogourt".

Laddy
11-26-2012, 02:48 PM
i spell "can't" as "cand" but this is a typing problem mostly
Dear God I hope so.

Bubba
11-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Annihilate.

I say it all the time in normal conversation but have no idea how to type it... like just now.

Mirage
11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
annie late!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Judgement or Judgment? (http://www.dailywritingtips.com/judgement-or-judgment/) - article

The more you know :monster:

Tigmafuzz
11-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Judgement or Judgment? (http://www.dailywritingtips.com/judgement-or-judgment/) - article

The more you know :monster:

RULE: When a suffix is added to a word ending in mute e, the mute e is dropped before a vowel, but not before a consonant.
EXCEPTION TO THE RULE: The e is kept even before a vowel if it is needed to preserve or emphasize the soft sound of a preceding g or c.
:monster:

Jiro
11-29-2012, 01:20 AM
smurfing exceptions. Why have rules if there are a million exceptions to the smurfing rules?

inb4 I just started a troutstorm

Tigmafuzz
11-29-2012, 04:28 AM
smurfing exceptions. Why have rules if there are a million exceptions to the smurfing rules?

inb4 I just started a troutstorm

Because always living by the rules is boring and rabble rabble the exceptions are basically just extensions of the rule.