PDA

View Full Version : words you can't say

Iceglow
11-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Stolen from Laddy's thread clearly. This one however is about words you cannot say correctly despite knowing the correct way and spelling. I have 2...

1) Incendiary, my inability to pronounce this word is fucking legendary on XBL Dan and Paul love to make me say the word or try to normally I just end up going "fuck you, it's a fire round/grenade"

2) Washing-up-liquid, more a 3 word name for something, I always say it wrong. How the hell do I say this wrong every time? I say Fairy-up-liquid. Yes Fairy. Have done this since I was a child.

So EoFF what words do you always say wrong despite knowing the correct way to do so?

Mirage
11-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I keep saying chemistry and mercury shemistry and mersury :(. It's not that I am not able to, it's that I forget.

Polnareff
11-21-2012, 01:28 PM
I have a speech impediment from my deafness, so there's a lot of words I can't say correctly. :mad:

Mirage
11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
What, you mean deaf people can use the internet?!

Chris
11-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Obamacare. Apparently, I must separate the two words so I can double the insult to all of you haters. So, I say, "Obama Care".

Also: confusion between osama and obama-News Anchor Fail - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKvSzGU6dj4)

"Obama was killed".

"Possible lead where Obama might be hiding".

I Make Kenta Rawr!
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM

Jinx
11-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Stolen from Laddy's thread clearly. This one however is about words you cannot say correctly despite knowing the correct way and spelling. I have 2...

1) Incendiary, my inability to pronounce this word is smurfing legendary on XBL Dan and Paul love to make me say the word or try to normally I just end up going "smurf you, it's a fire round/grenade"

There's a really simple solution to this. Instead of trying to sound smart and ending up sounding like a tit, just say "fire round" or "grenade." :p

For the love of God, I can't say "rural."

Futan
11-21-2012, 03:14 PM
I mispronounced epitome for the longest time. Said it ep-uh-tome. Lol. I also need to slow down my talking speed a bit to say words with R and L close to each other, like world and rural.

Shauna
11-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Quite. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8668AcOoEpY)

krissy
11-21-2012, 04:33 PM
love

Shoeberto
11-21-2012, 04:34 PM
I used to always see "whereas" written in books and thought it was pronounced "where-eas", with the -eas being pronounced like you say it in "areas." I never understood what the hell writers meant with it really, even though I knew what whereas meant when spoken.

As a young kid I could never say "olympics." It was always "olymm-p-mix."

Futan
11-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Remembered another one. I sometimes swap the M and N's in cinnamon. Cimmanon.

Cuchulainn
11-21-2012, 04:47 PM
If this was words I can't spell I'd be here all day making a list, however I can't think of a word I struggle to say.

Shorty
11-21-2012, 04:49 PM

This, and love for Shauna :jess:

I just say rrrl. It's not even a word.

Rantz
11-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Flying Mullet. I keep trying to say it right, but it just comes out as "knobhead". I dunno why. :(

Shauna
11-21-2012, 05:00 PM
:love:

Jinx
11-21-2012, 05:15 PM

This, and love for Shauna :jess:

I just say rrrl. It's not even a word.

I'm assuming she linked Rural Juror, I can't watch it on my phone. Oh yeah, I'm so Liz Lemon with that word. It sort of comes out "rur-er" or really just an extended rrrrrrr sound. And seeing as I live in Missouri, the would rural comes up much more than you'd think.

escobert
11-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't have trouble pronouncing any words..

Iceglow
11-21-2012, 11:09 PM
There's a really simple solution to this. Instead of trying to sound smart and ending up sounding like a tit, just say "fire round" or "grenade." :p

Ahh but the item is called an Incendiary Round or an Incendiary Grenade when they do so. And I'll say "fire rounds" or "fire bombs" and they'll be all "a what?! Steve! There are no fire rounds what are they called?" until I say it. Bastards but I loves them.

Faris
11-21-2012, 11:11 PM
ALL OF THEM

Seriously, it's quite sad. Maybe that's why I'm not much of a talker :shobon:

Tigmafuzz
11-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I can't think of any words I struggle to say. I had a speech impediment when I was younger (and a horrible stutter) so occasionally I have problems getting out certain sounds, but for the most part I can say everything properly without trouble.

Mercen-X
11-21-2012, 11:46 PM
1) Incendiary

2) Washing-up-liquid. How the hell do I say this wrong every time? I say Fairy-up-liquid. Yes Fairy. Have done this since I was a child.I say either N-send-D-airy, or nSend-jury. Both sound all right to me.

The fairy thing is probably some preprogrammed psyche trigger. Somebody's been messing with your head.
I keep saying shemistry and mersury.Probably blameless. Why would we have a letter with a dual function? Why does this secondy K double as a second S? Languages are stupid.

I mispronounced ep-uh-tome.DIDO. Of course, I always thought epitome was an Epic Tome as I had heard the word tome to describe a book long before I saw the word epitome used.

As far as I can recall, everyone I've ever heard use this word has said "Rrrrl." Sounds like a growling dog to me. I say "rue-rawl."

I've always been an unaplogetic grammar-nazi and spelling-tyrant as well as a dedicated dictionaryist (I can make up words when I want to)

Chances are that if it isn't a popular term in English, I can't pronounce it. My grandma speaks Tagalog. After watching Wayne's World, I tried to learn Cantonese so I could impress some pretty Chinese girl (I hadn't realized Mandarin was a more widespread dailect), watching anime inspired me to study Japanese (which is easier to pronounce but no simpler to remember), my dad has been studying German as its in his blood. My French cousin has inspired me to learn his language. Words in German and French are usually easy to pronounce but not so much when you're reading them.

I can't pronounce words represented by foreign letters.

Araciel
11-22-2012, 12:00 AM
"No" :jokey:

Madame Adequate
11-22-2012, 12:07 AM
None I'm aware of, but that's because when I learn I've got it wrong I'm able to correct myself. The problem is learning I've got it wrong, because hoo boy does my brain ingrain things deep when it wants to. For instance I not only pronounced "galvanize" as "glavanize" for years and years, I spelled it that way, and when I read it, I read it as "glavanize".

e; Pike can't pronounce "Spokane" fyi

e2; I also can't pronounce "Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli"

Jiro
11-22-2012, 12:55 AM
My accent fucks me over a lot. I just slur words like I'm drunk and it's goddamn annoying.

Mercen-X
11-22-2012, 05:19 AM
"No" :jokey:

"Yes"

Citizen Bleys
11-22-2012, 05:27 AM
e2; I also can't pronounce "Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli"

That one also gets me every time

I can and do pronounce melenkurion

Levian
11-22-2012, 06:50 PM
As a true video game nerd, I learned how to read english before I learned how to speak it.

As a direct result of that, when we first started learning English, I would pronounce silent letters, like for instance the k in "know" and the w in "sword." And I thought the "ch" in "character" was pronounced like the "ch" in "charades."

I refused to acknowledge the correct pronounciations for several years.

I'm sure there are words I don't pronounce right to this date, but as I'm obviously not aware of them, I can't tell you what words they are. That's probably why I'm pronouncing them wrong in the first place.

Rantz
11-22-2012, 07:34 PM
As a direct result of that, when we first started learning English, I would pronounce silent letters, like for instance the k in "know" and the w in "sword." And I thought the "ch" in "character" was pronounced like the "ch" in "charades."

I used to think sword was pronounced like word with an s in front, back when I played Broken Swehrd 2 in younger days.

Mercen-X
11-22-2012, 08:29 PM
I can and do pronounce melenkurion

Who wouldn't be able to pronounce mair-en-kewl-ian?

I can't pronounce Cameron sometimes. I never considered it could be pronounced Kam-uh-rawn...

blackmage_nuke
11-22-2012, 08:56 PM
"Inevitably" always sounds wrong to me when I say it.

NorthernChaosGod
11-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Nothing really. The only times I really mispronounce things are when I use words that I know in writing, but have never actually heard before.

Jinx
11-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Ha

The first time I said Sufjan Steven's name aloud.

x)

KentaRawr!
11-24-2012, 03:54 AM
love

"Here's the complication
I just can't say I love you
Not that I can't feel it
It's just that I waited for
the perfect time to say it
Now it's out of proportion
I waited too long"

I know you weren't referencing that, but it made me think of that.

Anyway, I have a problem with the word "probably." It always comes out "Probly." :mad:

Tigmafuzz
11-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Anyway, I have a problem with the word "probably." It always comes out "Probly." :mad:

I say "prolly" on purpose, because it's quicker (and because it doesn't make S­a­r­a­h feel bad since she can't say "probably" either) and sometimes saying the full word just sounds weird in certain sentences.

Peegee
11-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Very recently I had to say quinoa. I had thought it was Quinn no a.

Araciel
11-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Very recently I had to say quinoa. I had thought it was Quinn no a.

Me too.

Jiro
11-24-2012, 06:53 AM
So how is it actually said? keen-owe-ah?

Peegee
11-24-2012, 08:21 AM
/ˈkiːnwɑː/

Heath
11-24-2012, 11:07 PM
I was once rather inebriated and had trouble saying the word inebriated.

Tigmafuzz
11-25-2012, 12:29 AM
I just remembered; I have trouble saying this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRsqXxtMREw&t=3m4s)

Raistlin
11-25-2012, 04:45 PM
I can't think of any off the top of my head. Once I learn the correct pronunciation of a word, I can usually correct myself.

But on a related issue, growing up there were a number of words I simply pronounced wrong for many years, because a large amount of my vocabulary was developed through reading. For example, "epitome" was pronounced phonetically (ep-ih-tome) for years until I learned the correct pronunciation. I'm pretty sure I forced the "b" into "subtle" for a while too.