PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected purchases

Slothy
11-22-2012, 02:24 AM
I just bought KOTOR2 on Steam despite my hating the original on almost every level possible. Why did I do this? Aside from it being $2.50, I bought it solely to try another Obsidian game because New Vegas was awesome. I figure if they could take the mediocre snore fest that was Fallout 3 and make something worth playing out of it's worthless carcass, perhaps they did the same with KOTOR.

Anyone else made any purchases recently that they never expected to make? Even better, were you happy with them after the fact?

Polnareff
11-22-2012, 02:26 AM
I just randomly bought Hidden Invasion for PS2; I'd never heard of it until recently. Haven't played it yet but apparently according to most reviews, it sucks. :|

I did buy some other stuff unexpectedly. The latest game was Warriors Orochi 3 because I didn't know the price had dropped already. The game's pretty awesome.

krissy
11-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Yes, isn't it likely that you'd create a new thread to criticize KOTOR instead of using the Unpopular Opinions Thread, Vivi22, if that's your real name. But I know for a fact that your highly intricate network of criminal activity will eventually trap you with more credit card fees from Steam than any other place.

Araciel
11-22-2012, 08:28 AM
lolol if you didn't like kotor...kotor 2 might be...exactly what you played.

Slothy
11-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes, isn't it likely that you'd create a new thread to criticize KOTOR instead of using the Unpopular Opinions Thread, Vivi22, if that's your real name. But I know for a fact that your highly intricate network of criminal activity will eventually trap you with more credit card fees from Steam than any other place.

I've given you a glimpse, just a tiny one, at what I'm capable of. But you're going to have to stay on topic now. Because if you don't...

I will burn you.

I will burn the HEART out of you!

Plus I think I actually did express my dislike of KOTOR and all things Bioware in the unpopular opinions thread. They just deserve repeat mentioning because I can.

On topic though: I also used to buy games solely based on cover art/box descriptions when I was a kid sometimes. It led to my discovery of the greatest N64 game of all time when I walked into Toys R Us and purchased Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon on a whim. I had never even heard of the game prior to my going there that day. It's a wonder sometimes that I never bought a game I didn't like as a child.

Polnareff
11-22-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm with you, Vivi. Other than Jade Empire, I can't stand Bioware. They managed to screw up Sonic even more than what Sega did! :|

Shauna
11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Nothing recently, but my favourite unexpected purchase was finding Persona 4 for £5 in my local game shop. Entirely unexpected that I even saw it in shops, it's a rarity. :3

Quindiana Jones
11-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Well, I just popped onto Steam to see if KotOR was still up for grabs with the intent of buying it if my laptop could run it. I couldn't find it in the sales, but what I did find was Bastion, which works an absolute dream. The narrator whispers honey and cream into my eager ears.

Futan
11-22-2012, 05:32 PM
These Steam sales kill me. I still probably have a dozen games I've never played that I bought from them. I'm trying to resist them until I finish all the games I have. I don't think I'll be able to though, especially come the Christmas/New Years sale. D:

Bolivar
11-23-2012, 09:10 PM
This whole year's kinda been like that. I've been wanting a new laptop for a while, but for some reason I finally timed it around Diablo III. I know the criticisms and I share a lot of them, but it was a real cool way to set off my return to PC gaming.

The steam summer sale was full of unexpected purchases, but when this stuff is going for $5-10 can you really say you were surprised?

In any case, I think it's incredibly bizarre that I own Batman: Arkham City for the PC.

I also never thought I'd be buying games like Oblivion and Risen, but I'm about 40 hours into Oblivion and liking it quite a lot.

Madame Adequate
11-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Well, I just popped onto Steam to see if KotOR was still up for grabs with the intent of buying it if my laptop could run it. I couldn't find it in the sales, but what I did find was Bastion, which works an absolute dream. The narrator whispers honey and cream into my eager ears.

And then, the Kid fell to his death.

I wasn't expecting to ever buy any Hearts of Iron 3 stuff but I did so a couple of days ago and it's proving... better than it used to be. Still not as good as 2 but the combined expansions have brought it up to a pretty playable state.

Quindiana Jones
11-24-2012, 06:12 AM
That happens painfully often when trying to navigate an isometric landscape with only a D-pad. :(

Heath
11-24-2012, 11:19 PM

KotOR is still reasonably cheap at £3.49. Put your hand in your pocket, man!

Today on a whim I bought Skyrim in the Steam sale as it was on offer for half price. No idea if I'll play it in the near future, but thought I'd nab it while it was on offer.

Bunny
11-24-2012, 11:52 PM
I want to buy so many games but uggggggggh weddings are too fucking expensive.

Someone lavish me with gifts so I can feel like you love me.

Lonely Paper Star
11-24-2012, 11:59 PM
I haven't made any impulsive game purchases as of late, but I saw Mists of Pandaria for $14.99 and was very tempted. :<

Aulayna
11-25-2012, 12:55 AM
I just brought Dead Island in the Steam sales.

Laddy
11-25-2012, 01:41 AM
I loves KOTOR2 more than KOTOR, because Obsidian is the best Western RPG developer right now, maybe ever.

I never planned to buy Deus Ex: Human Rvolution because I was scared it would've been change too much. Thankfully, it was pretty good, though not as good as the original.

noshowmillk
11-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I bought Mario Kart DS. I'm happy I got the game but I didn't like the fact that I paid so much money for it.

Madame Adequate
11-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I just brought Dead Island in the Steam sales.

You did the right thing, that game is great.

ljkkjlcm9
11-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I just bought a Playstation Vita because of the sale on Amazon.
Ps Vita, AC:Liberation, 4 GB memory card, 3 months PS+, free download code of PS: All Stars Battle Royale for 179.99.

Definitely was not planning on buying it anytime soon, but I felt it was a great deal.

THE JACKEL

Scotty_ffgamer
11-25-2012, 10:51 PM
I just bought a Playstation Vita because of the sale on Amazon.
Ps Vita, AC:Liberation, 4 GB memory card, 3 months PS+, free download code of PS: All Stars Battle Royale for 179.99.

I just got this deal as well. I had no intention of getting a vita, but this deal was almost too good to pass up considering how much you are getting for the 180. Also, Playstation Plus just gave out Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Jet Set Radio, and something else for free for the Vita this week. I couldn't pass it up.

Værn
11-26-2012, 01:27 AM
These Steam sales kill me. I still probably have a dozen games I've never played that I bought from them. I'm trying to resist them until I finish all the games I have. I don't think I'll be able to though, especially come the Christmas/New Years sale. D:

http://i45.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1zoaijl.jpg
http://i48.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2zfrdkw.jpg
http://i45.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2dc8n4l.jpg

Futan
11-26-2012, 01:30 AM

http://i45.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1zoaijl.jpg
http://i48.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2zfrdkw.jpg
http://i45.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2dc8n4l.jpg

Ja. Pretty much this. :cry:

Quindiana Jones
11-26-2012, 05:36 AM
I am now the very happy owner of Fallout, Fallout 2 and Mount & Blade. Were I that type of person, I would be crying genuine tears of joy over my new laptop.

Oh, you beautiful, wonderful thing, you! This machine kills social skills. :')

Bolivar
11-26-2012, 06:23 AM
The only thing holding me back from this Autumn Sale is an important realization I made during the Summer Sale:

I'm never going to play a lot of these games.

Quindiana Jones
11-26-2012, 07:10 AM
That's the benefit of having a relatively useless laptop, I guess! :D

Wolf Kanno
11-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I haven't bought anything on a whim for a while, largely cause I'm pretty good about talking myself out of it and partly because it's not like I need to be adding to my backlog as it is. On the subject of Steam and it's glorious sales. I did make several purchases but I haven't downloaded any of them to my PC yet cause I don't have the memory and I was going to wait until I bought a new PC but it doesn't look like that's going to happen for awhile now so I'll need to delete some TV series or AMVs on my hardrive so I can finally play KOTOR, Deus Ex, Half Life, and Bastion so I can see if any of them are actually as good as gamers seems to tell me they are.

Bubba
11-26-2012, 12:19 PM
After waking up hungover I discovered that I had purchased a bunch of PS1 classics from the Playstation Store. I don't know what possessed me to buy Toy Story 2 but... it is awesome.

Quindiana Jones
11-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Most of the Toy Story games are surprisingly good, really. xD

krissy
11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
i bought okami for 20 bux when it first came out on ps2 as greatest hits the moment i saw it on store shelves
i had no idea it'd come out for greatest hits, so i immediately jumped on that train
one of my fave games ever
i also bought beyond good and evil randomly seeing it in a store. same story.

Bunny
11-27-2012, 12:24 AM
In the last few days I have bought Borderlands 2 (30$), Cities XL 2012 (10$), Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition (9$), and 5 games from GoG for their 5 for 10$ deal (Geneforge 1-5, Anomaly Warzone Earth, Unmechanical, The Ball, and To The Moon).

I wish I could drop another 30$ on Dishonored but it's probably a bad idea right now.

Futan
11-27-2012, 03:26 AM
Really too early to say this but I (so far) have successfully resisted the Steam sale! :jess:

brb buying Alan Wake

noshowmillk
11-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Most of the Toy Story games are surprisingly good, really. xD
Couldn't agree more. I still have the same copy of Toy Story 2 from when I was... 5? I think...

Shoeberto
11-27-2012, 08:31 PM
I re-bought Deus Ex: HR on PC, even though I own it on PS3, because the Missing Link DLC was on sale with it. Looking forward to that.

I also bought Bioshock 2 when it was on flash sale because I've heard great things about Minerva's Den. I don't really know anything about the main campaign and don't really care much, but I'll throw it on the pile for an eventual playthrough.