PDA

View Full Version : Medieval.... TOTAL. WAR.

Quindiana Jones
11-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Following the current trend in my gaming threads, I have discovered that my shitty laptop can run Rome: Total War! Joy of joy! As such, let us relive our memories of these games. Not just the Medievals, but all of them. I want to hear about your finest military victories, your worst defeats and every Pyrrhic victory in between.

Did anybody else, in Viking Invasion, always play the Irish and stock up on almost nothing but Gallowglasses? Those guys were brilliant. I also enjoyed sending over hordes of Missionaries to the Viking lands in order to convert them, which breeds rebellion. I would take over the country, only to immediately lose it to a sudden barrage of psychotic Vikings from the neighbouring country. Great craic, like.

My favourite victory occurred in the final tutorial mission of Medieval. It was the Battle of Jafar, in which the English had phenomenal cosmic power, but itty bitty living space. Shortly after saving the princess, I had to fight the Battle of Jaffa, and I finished that battle with 7 Foot Soldiers remaining. Exactly 7. Literally everybody else who had participated in that battle - friend or foe - was dead. This was years and years ago, but I still remember it well. :love:

So yeah, get to it, lads and ladies. Let us swap our war stories!

Also, if you have a hankering for these games, most of them are in the Steam sales right now. :D

Psychotic
11-22-2012, 07:04 PM
dude Arthur fuck yes fucking love medieval total war the original

MERCIA FOR LIFE ASSHOLE

can we play rome or medieval online? let's do it!!!!

Quindiana Jones
11-22-2012, 07:09 PM
If I can, then we most certainly shall! :D

Psychotic
11-22-2012, 07:17 PM
The god damn music was incredible.

Slothy
11-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I bought Rome: Total War in a Steam sale because I'd heard the series was really good. Not sure I made it much past the tutorial levels though before something made me put it aside. I need to go back to it again sometime though. I found the tutorial boring as hell, but I don't think I quite gave it a fair shake.

Quindiana Jones
11-22-2012, 07:31 PM
I actually had a much harder time getting interested in Rome than I did Medieval. It's considerably less accessible for newcomers, I think, but also much deeper and satisfying experience once you get the hang of it.

Slothy
11-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Maybe I'll grab Medieval sometime then. I think one of the big things holding me back from enjoying the earlier parts of Rome was my general lack of interest in the time period. Not that Rome isn't cool, because a lot of stuff that went on back then, particularly in terms of warfare, is genuinely interesting. The setting just never really tickled my fancy that much. Couple that with a pretty slow early game and a fair amount of complexity and I think that lead to my having trouble getting into it.

Would you say Medieval may be a better introduction to the series and maybe go back to Rome later? Or is there a later game that may appeal to me more?

Psychotic
11-22-2012, 07:46 PM
yep medieval > rome

But I did have one amazing siege on Rome where my entire army got munched but so did theirs. I had a group of like 20-30 Romans left, marching down the street, as little bands of 10-15 carthaginians kept charging and regrouping them. The siege towers and city walls were piled with corpses.

Jinx
11-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Dude. This game sounds hella fun.

Crop
11-22-2012, 07:50 PM
dude Arthur smurf yes smurfing love medieval total war the original

The original was Shogun: Total War. I know it's not technically as good, but it was always my favourite. I have the Warlord Edition I recently just started playing it again too, so much fun!

As far as playing it online goes, a couple of years back I met a guy online who had set up an online server to play Shogun on with two of his friends, he invited me in and we all had some awesome 2v2 and 1v3 battles. We did this for a few months until we all drifted apart.
I still have Rome somewhere, I'd be down to play online if someone can set it up.

P.S Shimazu clan rules.

Quindiana Jones
11-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah, Medieval is definitely where you should be looking first, Vivi. You should also get the Barbarian Invasion expansion, because you can have the Welsh conquer Britain and laugh in the face of reality. ;)

Aerith's Knight
11-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Medieval is for suckers. Rome: Total war is where it's at. Conquering the world with light Calvary. Lines upon lines of horsemen riding into battle. They never fail, except against those bastardly Hoplites.

Also, LOTR: Total war. Best game ever. Play the Nolder elves and create the Elven armies of the Noldor, and storm Mordor the weak.

Quindiana Jones
11-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I intend to conquer the world with nothing but incendiary pigs someday.

Aerith's Knight
11-22-2012, 11:11 PM
If we work together, we could probably do so AND make them glow in the dark.

OH, you meant in the game... of course. *cough*

Polnareff
11-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I've only played whichever one was on the PS2, and Viking: Battle For Asgard. Both are awesome.

Quindiana Jones
11-23-2012, 02:21 PM
:stare:

Old Manus
11-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Shogun 1 master race reporting in. Followed closely by Medieval II and then Rome.

Christmas
03-13-2022, 04:25 AM
I bought the three kingdoms total war and played it like for 1 hr and give up. :(

Think Age of Empire and Warcraft III suits me more. :cry:

Quindiana Jones
03-13-2022, 05:31 AM
Oh man, I still remember that Battle of Jaffa from the tutorial.

Legit think I might pick up OG Medieval Total War xD