PDA

View Full Version : Please help me play my edited levels on the Chip's Challenge editor

*Laurelindo*
11-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Everytime I edit a level on ChipEdit, the Playtest option refuses to work and gives me this message instead:

"CHIPSEXE_FILE not specified in CHIPEDIT.INI."

What does this even mean, plus how do I solve it?

My computer is hopeless when it comes to these kinds of things, and if it can find an excuse to fail with something, it will; so let's assume that this requires all possible kinds of actions. :eep:

Mirage
11-23-2012, 07:19 PM
It means you haven't specified the chipsexe_file in the chipedit.ini file.

*Laurelindo*
11-23-2012, 07:56 PM
It means you haven't specified the chipsexe_file in the chipedit.ini file.Yeah I know that, but what exactly am I supposed to do in order to "specify" it?
Put it in a chipedit.ini folder?

This would've been SO much more convenient if the editor itself could at least say something like "Please [do thing X] and try again", so I had a better idea what to actually do in order to fix it.
Almost as ridiculous as the classic "An error occurred while loading this file. THE END".

Mirage
11-23-2012, 08:22 PM
You should put it in the chipedit.ini file. Have you looked for a file by that name?

Look for that file in an untouched chip's challenge installation directory, and see how it's set up there, then try to replicate it in the ini file you need to edit yourself.

*Laurelindo*
11-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Wow, I finally got it to work.
It turned out that I just needed to specify the Level for my edited levels and then just open the normal Chips Challenge game; it replaced the "real" Level 1 with my own level there. :)

Thanks a lot for your help, though.

Heath
12-09-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm just posting to put on the record how awesome Chip's Challenge was. I still fondly remember the days of yore when that and SkiFree were my two favourite things on a computer.