PDA

View Full Version : Article: FanMusic: Q&A with The World Is Square!

Jiro
11-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Final Fantasy is a diverse series. Each game has its own fans, its own flavour, its own strengths. If there was ever going to be a single, uniting factor though, the soundtracks to Final Fantasy are definitely it. You could listen exclusively to video game tracks or you might throw them on to relax or even to rock out with some nostalgia, but no matter the reason, the FF music is something memorable.

One group of FF fans have combined their passion for music and passion for FF into something great: a Square-Enix tribute band called The World Is Square. The Boston five-piece have put out their first tribute album - No Phoenix Down Can Save You Now (http://theworldissquare.bandcamp.com/) - and have been playing live shows all over the place, so you just know they're good.

I had a quick chat with them to find out a little bit more about how the band came to be, what makes them tick and some other quirky facts along the way!

Q: What came first: a love of music or a love of Final Fantasy?
Lauren: Definitely a love of music. We all have pretty varied tastes in music, I'd say music was our all around first passion.

Q: What were the first FFs you guys played?
Josh: The first ones I played were FFVII & Tactics.
Dave: I love Tactics, but mine was FFVI.
Lauren: FFIX, I still love that OST to this day. Obviously.

Q: How did you guys meet?
Lauren: I'm pretty sure most of us knew each other from around High School? Nick, Dave and I all went to the same school. We all played in different bands. I think my old band played a show with Josh & Nick's old band at one point. I didn't meet Joe until this band, but we somehow know all the same people. We all sort of run in the same circles.

Q: How did you come to the decision to play FF music?
Josh: For me, Square/Enix music has always caused the most nostalgia as opposed to other games.
Dave: Yeah, Nobuo.
Lauren: I don't know. I ran into Josh at some party and after a lot of Whiskey Sours, we just talked about FFIX for hours. He remembered I played the guitar in high school and told me about this idea he & Nick had for a band. We all just sort of fell into place after that, I think.

Q: What prompted you to put together an album?
Josh: Just a love of what we do and support from fans.
Lauren: Yeah, the support has been crazy awesome.

Q: Do you ever want to branch out and play other video game music?
Josh: Of course, but with so many Square/Enix titles to choose from, we really can't run out of music to cover.
Lauren: I constantly joke about how I want a Ska/Punk MegaMan Band.
Dave: "Under the Sea" - Kingdom Hearts.

Q: Do you have a favourite track to jam to?
Josh: 'Burn Bobanga' (Chrono Trigger) into 'The Veldt' (FFVI)
Lauren: I like those two, as well. But, 'Vamo Alla Flamenco' has to be my favourite. Sometimes I get carried away.

Q: What's been your favourite gig so far?
Josh: Post-PAXEast Show at The Middle East with MC Frontalot & The Protomen.
Dave: PAXEast.
Lauren: Either MC Frontalot & The Protomen or our CD Release Show with Sam Mulligan & Br1ght Pr1mate. Both were at The Middle East in Cambridge. They've been really good to us. It's a great venue.

Q: If you had to cast yourselves as FF characters, who would you be and why?
Josh: Barrett. "Cause I got a handgun. I call it a gun arm, so I'm never unarmed."
Lauren: Tifa. She was tough as nails, and relate-able for me. I think by the time I played FFVII, I was kind of sick of girls in games always being just the romantic interest or the healer. She kicked ass and was still pretty.
Dave: Moogle

Q: What's on the agenda for the near future?
Josh: Learn music, play shows, get weird!
Dave: Waking up hungover.
Lauren: Being the luckiest girl in the world. I still can't believe half the stuff we get to do, or the amazing friendships we've made so far. It's beyond me.

The keen eyed among you might notice only three respondents to the questions: bandmates Nick and Joe were busy playing Chocobo Hot and Cold and couldn't make it to the interview in time! We'll catch up with them next time for sure! In the meantime, you can get more information on The World Is Square - including their next gigs - at their website (www.theworldissquare.net) or Facebook (facebook.com/theworldissquareband) page.

Here's a clip of them playing Descendent of Shinobi, Yuffie's Theme from FFVII! Thanks to The World Is Square for being our nerdy rockstars and thanks to you for reading. Enjoy!

hAzu7H-av5I

Loony BoB
11-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I never knew such bands went and did gigs around gaming events and whatnot... That's pretty awesome. Checking out their stuff now. :) Loving Ukelele de Chocobo big time. :D

LadyJuxtaposition
11-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Awesome song! I was jamming all the way through (and imagined Yuffie jammin down with me while listening to it).

Awsome band too! Is the album available on iTunes? I am very interested in buying the tribute album right now. :)

DaveIsSquare
11-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Is the album available on iTunes? I am very interested in buying the tribute album right now. :)
Nope, sorry we're not on itunes yet but our first album is up at theworldissquare.bandcamp.com
You can listen to the whole thing free download all of it for $7.

I never knew such bands went and did gigs around gaming events and whatnot...

Honestly, neither did I. I knew of a few of the bigger VGM bands like Powerglove and The Advantage, but I don't think any of us really had any idea how big the scene is. Ws started out just making YouTube videos for fun but eventually through Facebook we stumbled in to the scene, which is very welcoming. Check out Those Who Fight, Final Fantasy Rock Opera. Knight of the Round, Final Fantasy Metal. The X-Hunters, melodic Mega Man rock. There are a lot more great ones out there that deserve recognition too if you look in to it a bit. Check out the MAGfest lineup for some more notables.

Futan
11-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Well all those people saying they want FF music at their weddings know who to call now. :)